Page 2877 of 2880 FirstFirst ... 1877237727772827286728752876287728782879 ... LastLast
Results 71,901 to 71,925 of 71983

Thread: 28 Film Discussion Threads Later

Hokkaido Gals Are Super Adorable! (M. Hoshino/M. Minato, 2024) ☆
    Correr para Vivir (G. Dorantes, 2024) ☆
    The Bad Guys (P. Perifel, 2022) ☆
    Persepolis (M. Satrapi/V. Paronnaud, 2007)
    Coyote (K. Jerkovic, 2022) ☆
    Uncle from Another World (S. Kawai, 2022-23) ☆
    Why the Hell are You Here, Teacher!? + OVA (H. Kaneko/T. Tokoro, 2018-19) ☆
    The Dangers in My Heart, S2 (H. Akagi, 2024) ☆
    Frieren: Beyond Journey's End, S1 (K. Saitō, 2023?24) ☆
    Knocked Up (J. Apatow, 2007) ☆

First time ☆

Inspired by a conversation over on the Discord, I have put together the list nobody asked for: my ranking of Austen adaptations! This list is not exhaustive, as I have apparently seen dozens of these, but just the list of those I think are notable. There are so many made-for-tv adaptations that I could sum up as "fine," but left no lasting impression. I did include one made-for-tv adaptation that is too good to leave off, but am not including loose adaptations like Clueless, Bridget Jones' Diary, etc, or works inspired by Austen's life instead of her novels.

1. Persuasion (1995) Austen's most mature book is translated into a thoughtful, understated and lovely film. This is the only Austen adaption on this list that is brave enough to cast non-beautiful actors as canonically plain characters, and Root and Hinds are electric together. It's a story for adults, more introspective and melancholy than most of her work, while still being swooningly romantic. A+, no notes

2. Pride & Prejudice (1995) The most faithful adaptation of an Austen book ever made, this meticulous miniseries could have been laborious and dragging, but is instead sparkling, hilarious and fun, thanks mostly to stellar casting from top to bottom. Ehle and Firth are absolutely the best Lizzie and Darcy of all time. The expansive run time gives the story room to breathe and explore the nuances of Austen's subplots, which work together to form an excellent whole.

3. Sense & Sensibility (1995) One of Austen's weakest novels is given an incredible face-lift thanks to a brilliant, witty screenplay by Emma Thompson, lush direction by Ang Lee, and terrific interplay between Thompson, Winslet, & Rickman. Even Hugh Grant, an actor I generally dislike, does serviceable work here.

4. Emma. (2020) More of a deconstruction than a strict adaptation, this stylized version of the story is heavy on slapstick and social commentary, but doesn't have much heart, with the exception of Johnny Flynn, who pulls off an unprecedented, interesting take on Mr. Knightly.

5. Pride & Prejudice (2005) It looks absolutely gorgeous, I'll give it that. Macfadyen brings some interesting choices to Mr. Darcy, but Knightley is doing the same character she does in every period piece. She's boring. Many of the film's choices feel inexplicable (why the time period change?) and feel like they exist just to try to make the story feel different than the other 200 adaptations out there.

6. Emma (1996) This more faithful adaptation of the novel is pretty and fun, but spends a lot of time ticking the boxes of what an Austen adaptation is supposed to be (see the three examples from the year before, 1995, above) without bringing anything new or insightful to the table. Most of the cast is fine, with a young Toni Colette being a standout as the awkward Harriet Smith.

7. Mansfield Park (1999) This is a tricky novel to adapt, with a real soggy blanket as a female lead. I respect that the film tries to liven things up, and also to place the story within a more modern perspective on England's brutal West Indian plantations, which is paying for all the lavish lifestyle we see on screen. It works sometimes, but the more modern perspective is often at odds with the story as it is told. (If this Fanny is so self-actualized and progressive, for instance, why does she let herself get kicked around by every other character for 90% of the plot?)

8. Pride & Prejudice (1940) This adaptation has no idea what it is doing, with attempts to simplify the plot leaving it incoherent. Setting the story several decades later does nothing but change the costumes, as no attempt is made to make the dialogue or interactions sound like they take place at any time but 1940. I will say that Lawrence Olivier is a good choice for the mannered haughtiness of Darcy.

9. Love & Friendship (2016) This is an interesting failure. Kate Beckinsale is committed to the villainous Lady Susan, but the film can't overcome the fact that the unfinished novel doesn't have a sturdy enough plot to keep the whole thing afloat.
    ...and the milk's in me.

Quote Quoting Idioteque Stalker (view post)
    Saw Inland Empire for the first time last night, which has me thinking how I often enjoy movies about making movies. I've seen a lot, but I haven't seen them all. I would appreciate any insight you may have into the movies below based on 1) if they're good and 2) how much or how little they are actually about making movies. (Ed Wood is very much about making movies, while Inglourious Basterds is very little about making movies.)

A Star Is Born
    Have not see any of those other films!

Two that come to mind though:

Beware of a Holy Whore
    Irma Vep

and of course:

8 1/2

The Fassbinder has more filmmaking scenes than 8 1/2 - actually the Fellini film has no filmmaking.

Gonna have to disagree on Love And Friendship - adored the film and its humor. But I'm not an Austen-ite, so I don't have the perspective via adaptation/text.

First time ☆

I'm the problem it's me DFA1979's Avatar
    Mara I believe the Ang Lee Jane Austin flick was on Tubi last I checked so I may view that one. I really need to read her books first.
    Blog!

And it's happened once again
    I'll turn to a friend
    Someone that understands
    And sees through the master plan
    But everybody's gone
    And I've been here for too long
    To face this on my own
    Well, I guess this is growing up

Quote Quoting DFA1979 (view post)
    Mara I believe the Ang Lee Jane Austin flick was on Tubi last I checked so I may view that one. I really need to read her books first.
    Pride and Prejudice is such a fun read. Killed it in a night.

First time ☆

I would argue that you don't really need to read the books first, especially with Sense & Sensibility, which is not her best work. She's not known for her plot twists, so watching the film first isn't going to spoil anything. The books just go deeper and you get more of her wit.
    ...and the milk's in me.

Noted, thanks!
    Blog!

I'll turn to a friend
    Someone that understands
    But everybody's gone
    To face this on my own

Anyone else hate it when movies succumb to the trope of "Schrödinger's C(h)a(rac)t(er)"? You know, when a character clearly dies in a movie, whether it be in a stand-alone original or part of an existing franchise, but then that movie and/or character gets iconic (or at least successful), the studio wants a sequel, and the filmmakers suddenly regret their decision to kill off them off, so they try a resurrection, either with a very flimsy explanation as to how they survived, or even nothing at all in some cases, meaning that the character is both dead according to the canon of the previous entry, and simultaneously alive in the next one; think Blade 2 with [
    ], The Matrix Reloaded with [
    ], or this scene in Halloweenwater (aka Halloween H20) where...

[
    ]

Yes.

Thanks, good talk.

I didn't have anything to add, you already said it.

The one that really annoyed me was Kingsman 2. I didn't even see it, so I don't actually know how they managed [
    ]

Quote Quoting Mysterious Dude (view post)
    The one that really annoyed me was Kingsman 2. I didn't even see it, so I don't actually know how they managed [
    ]
    Well, according to the Wiki, [
    ] so I guess that explains it...? Anyway, we can apparently also include Avatar 2 in this trope, from the reports I've heard...
    Last edited by StuSmallz; 07-04-2022 at 05:34 AM.

Quote Quoting Mysterious Dude (view post)
    ]
    No kidding. That's a great example.
    Blog!

I'll turn to a friend
    Someone that understands
    But everybody's gone
    To face this on my own

Quote Quoting StuSmallz (view post)
    Anyone else hate it when movies succumb to the trope of "Schrödinger's C(h)a(rac)t(er)"? You know, when a character clearly dies in a movie, whether it be in a stand-alone original or part of an existing franchise, but then that movie and/or character gets iconic (or at least successful), the studio wants a sequel, and the filmmakers suddenly regret their decision to kill off them off, so they try a resurrection, either with a very flimsy explanation as to how they survived, or even nothing at all in some cases, meaning that the character is both dead according to the canon of the previous entry, and simultaneously alive in the next one; think Blade 2 with [
    ], The Matrix Reloaded with [
    ], or this scene in Halloweenwater (aka Halloween H20) where...

[
    ]
    [
    ]
    Blog!

I'll turn to a friend
    Someone that understands
    But everybody's gone
    To face this on my own

Another good example is obviously Jason Voorhees with Part 5 bombing so naturally they bring him back for Jason Lives.
    Blog!

I'll turn to a friend
    Someone that understands
    But everybody's gone
    To face this on my own

[
    ]
    [
    ]

Blood Simple (Coens, '84)

Down here... you're on your own.

[
    ]

Final Score: 9

Quote Quoting StuSmallz (view post)
    Anyone else hate it when movies succumb to the trope of "Schrödinger's C(h)a(rac)t(er)"? You know, when a character clearly dies in a movie, ...
    Hate is not the word I'd use. Rather fraud, cheat, manipulator. All movies can be turned into manipulation rather easily but when it's so blatant, when a director uses death to manipulate an audience but then says, no I didn't mean that, that's the lowest of the lows.

Quote Quoting Yxklyx (view post)
    Hate is not the word I'd use. Rather fraud, cheat, manipulator. All movies can be turned into manipulation rather easily but when it's so blatant, when a director uses death to manipulate an audience but then says, no I didn't mean that, that's the lowest of the lows.
    It happened in Rise of Skywalker at least twice, maybe more. One of the many reasons it's one of the worst movies ever.