Page 2823 of 2880 FirstFirst ... 182323232723277328132821282228232824282528332873 ... LastLast
Results 70,551 to 70,575 of 71983

Thread: 28 Film Discussion Threads Later

I'm the problem it's me DFA1979's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Wryan (view post)
    "I'll tell you what. The day I need a friend like you, I'll just have myself a little squat and shit one out." --Mrs. Carmody, The Mist

One of the great wtf moments I can remember in "recent" memory. At least, that's what I thought before the events of the last few years. Now it just seems like an accurate portrayal of the melodramatic, self-victimizing, insane evangelical white woman. Now, after seeing so many videos of these folks in action calling the police on Black people and screaming about Jesus, this proto-Karen hits different, as they say.
    Oh absolutely. Especially since so many white women voted for Trump.
    Blog!

And it's happened once again
    I'll turn to a friend
    Someone that understands
    And sees through the master plan
    But everybody's gone
    And I've been here for too long
    To face this on my own
    Well, I guess this is growing up

Quote Quoting DFA1979 (view post)
    I liked Funny Games but I wanted a movie that didn't feature any winking nods to the camera. When the flick is being relentless and brutal I was engaged. I feel that Scream did the meta thing better even if Funny Games has the superior ending.
    Aren't the winking nods kind of the whole point, that the film isn't relentless and brutal for the sake of being relentless and brutal but that it produces a reaction and then forces the spectator to think about their reactions? In that sense, Haneke's film is doing something rather different than Craven's film, which is playfully revising some of the conventions of the slasher film in order to produce a response without fundamentally questioning the genre's aims and means.
    Just because...
    The Fabelmans (Steven Spielberg, 2022) mild
    Petite maman (Céline Sciamma, 2021) mild
    The Banshees of Inisherin (Martin McDonagh, 2022) mild

The last book I read was...
    The Complete Short Stories by Mark Twain

The (New) World

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    I think he has other movies where he believes there's a lot more within his movie that what's actually there.
    Ironically, I feel this way about Funny Games but not about most of his other films.

Quote Quoting baby doll (view post)
    Aren't the winking nods kind of the whole point, that the film isn't relentless and brutal for the sake of being relentless and brutal but that it produces a reaction and then forces the spectator to think about their reactions? In that sense, Haneke's film is doing something rather different than Craven's film, which is playfully revising some of the conventions of the slasher film in order to produce a response without fundamentally questioning the genre's aims and means.
    I know, it's just that I liked that Haneke made a nasty slasher film with bite that wasn't afraid to go against Hollywood conventions. I never got the hate it received.
    Blog!

I'll turn to a friend
    Someone that understands
    But everybody's gone
    To face this on my own

So, before I move forward with this, I first have to make an excuse for why I attempted to watch this. 1. It was late and I was tired. 2. I really wanted some popcorn, and I feel obligated to watch a movie when I eat popcorn. 3. I didn't feel like dedicating myself to a movie that would require much attention or thought.

Caveman (1981) -- It's funny because Ringo Starr is trying to rape Barbara Bach in her sleep, and he's just SO BAD AT IT! Haw haw!! Aside from the boys-club aesthetic, it also feels pretty lazy and predictable. The moment Starr and Quaid crack each others' backs to stand upright, you can see every "discovery" gag coming. Discovered fire? Check. Discovered music? Okay, whatever, movie. Check. In its favor, I will give them a little credit for the cartoony stop-motion dinosaurs, only because I love me some Ray Harryhausen. Left unfinished. An extremely generous 3/10, if only for the stop-motion and the giant bug being squished on Dennis Quaid's face (the only gag to give me a legitimate laugh). Boy, I bet he tries really hard to forget he was in this.
    My YouTube Channel: Grim Street Grindhouse
    My Top 100 Horror Movies OF ALL TIME.

The Dark Tower is...one of the worst movies I've seen in recent memory. The Naked Cage, a DTV quality 80s women-in-prison titty flick is a more coherent vision. I can't remember the last time a villain hit with such a thud.

What were they thinking?
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

I saw Caveman when I was younger via TBS. I recall it being pretty awful.
    Blog!

I'll turn to a friend
    Someone that understands
    But everybody's gone
    To face this on my own

Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    The Dark Tower is...one of the worst movies I've seen in recent memory. The Naked Cage, a DTV quality 80s women-in-prison titty flick is a more coherent vision. I can't remember the last time a villain hit with such a thud.

What were they thinking?
    Established IP + cinematic universe potential = $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

That would be the extent of it
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

What were they thinking?
    Goes to my theory that only a very select few can adapt King properly.

Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    Goes to my theory that only a very select few can adapt King properly.
    And that person was George Romero.

Frank Darabont is the most successful King adaptor, in my books.

But The Dark Tower didn't even feel like an adaptation of King's work. It's like the writers looked over a couple of the cover art pieces and were like "cool. Got it. Let's write it tonight!"

It feels very YA in all the worst ways.

And good God McConaughey was awful. His performance, his look, his character, everything.

And all the people who worked for him, on an alien world, and apparently just showed up to filming wearing whatever they had on at the time.

What the hell was this?

Frank Darabont is the most successful King adaptor, in my books.

But The Dark Tower didn't even feel like an adaptation of King's work. It's like the writers looked over a couple of the cover art pieces and were like "cool. Got it. Let's write it tonight!"

It feels very YA in all the worst ways.

And good God McConaughey was awful. His performance, his look, his character, everything.

And all the people who worked for him, on an alien world, and apparently just showed up to filming wearing whatever they had on at the time.

What the hell was this?
    Yeah, I didn't even bother checking it out once the reviews hit, and almost everyone agreed that they had butchered my favorite book series of all time in the process of adaptation; maybe in a just alternative world somewhere on The Path Of The Beam, some Peter Jackson type, one who was actually reverent to the books, was allowed by Hollywood to do the full, faithful adaptation the series deserved. At any rate, this conversation reminded me that I never got around to reading The Wind Through The Keyhole , so l think I'm going to order that now and fill that blind spot.
    Last edited by StuSmallz; 03-09-2021 at 07:41 AM.

I'm honestly not even one of those people who needs a 100% faithful adaptation of works I love.

I've said many times, if I want the exact same experience as the original, I'll go to the original.

I like when adaptations take liberties.

The problem with this film was that it was just terrible no matter how you slice it. Poor pacing, ugly, poorly acted by everyone except Elba, McConaughey is embarrassing. Awful effects. Completely incoherent.

It's a terrible movie.

Best films starring Hedi Lamarr, please!

I've seen a lot of films from the 30s and 40s but not one with Hedi Lamarr. Prime has Dishonored Lady but I doubt it's in any good condition to watch. Is Algiers a "remake" of Pépé le Moko?

Has there ever been a case where both the original film and the remake were terrible? I was wondering that today.
    Blog!

I'll turn to a friend
    Someone that understands
    But everybody's gone
    To face this on my own

Has there ever been a case where both the original film and the remake were terrible? I was wondering that today.
    The various Doctor Dolittle​s?

Quote Quoting StuSmallz (view post)
    The various Doctor Dolittle​s?
    Hmm I kind of liked the Eddie Murphy one a little. I never saw the original.
    Blog!

I'll turn to a friend
    Someone that understands
    But everybody's gone
    To face this on my own

I was looking through Tubi's "Leaving Now" section and I came across Runaway Train. That is one great macho driven picture that is probably one of the few times Eric Roberts turned in a note worthy performance. Jon Voight chews scenery like no one's business in that movie. The harsh Alaskan landscape is a much a character in this movie as the train is, and the score is pretty good, too.
    Blog!

I'll turn to a friend
    Someone that understands
    But everybody's gone
    To face this on my own

Hmm I kind of liked the Eddie Murphy one a little. I never saw the original.
    Although, while there's not necessarily a huge difference, I think the Murphy/Downey films were intended as "new adaptations" of the books, rather than remakes of the previous films specifically, so I don't know if they count. How about Friday The 13th 1980 & '09, then?

Runaway Train is a GREAT film.

I wouldn't say 'terrible,' but I dislike both Thomas Crown Affairs.

Quote Quoting StuSmallz (view post)
    Although, while there's not necessarily a huge difference, I think the Murphy/Downey films were intended as "new adaptations" of the books, rather than remakes of the previous films specifically, so I don't know if they count. How about Friday The 13th 1980 & '09, then?
    You're joking, right?

Friday the 13th? Terrible?

Can't say for sure because I haven't seen it, but Friday the 13th doesn't seem to enjoy the reputation of its major slasher peers like Halloween, Nightmare On Elms Street, and Texas Chainsaw Massacre.