Page 2169 of 2880 FirstFirst ... 11691669206921192159216721682169217021712179221922692669 ... LastLast
Results 54,201 to 54,225 of 71983

Thread: 28 Film Discussion Threads Later

One of the things I like the most about match-cut is people here don't write off movies because "all the critics said they suck and they made diddly-squat." People here have minds of their own and keep them open for every movie they watch.

I personally have a lot of movies on my thumbs up list that got drubbed including:
    Heaven's Gate
    Popeye
    Zabriske Point
    Mission to Mars
    Howard the Duck
    One From the Heart
    Speed Racer

I really need to see Ishtar.

Oh, and I forgot about Zardoz and Exorcist II: The Heretic
    My Blog
    My Reviews
    Follow me on Twitter

It's like, how much more black could this be? And the answer is none. None more black.

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Quote Quoting balmakboor (view post)
    I like Gran Torino.
    I love Gran Torino. But the actress that played Sue was.. not good.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    Because, my god, it's Ishtar. Ishtar?!
    The trend is that films derided on a mass scale like Ishtar generally harbor choice qualities that are overlooked in the scramble to prove one's self a voice of status quo reasoning. I do not like the film myself, but I haven't seen it since I was a teenager. I have several friends who like it, so I trust that there's probably something to it. Quality is seldom as self-evident as you seem to think it is.

Heaven's Gate
    Popeye
    Mission to Mars
    Exorcist II: The Heretic
    All masterpieces.

- - - - -
    I personally have a lot of movies on my thumbs up list that got drubbed including:
    Heaven's Gate
    Popeye
    Zabriske Point
    Mission to Mars
    Howard the Duck
    One From the Heart
    Speed Racer
    You mean as a guilty-pleasure thing or a so-bad-it's-good thing or are you genuinely arguing that these are good movies and the rest of us missed out?

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting Sven (view post)
    The trend is that films derided on a mass scale like Ishtar generally harbor choice qualities that are overlooked in the scramble to prove one's self a voice of status quo reasoning. I do not like the film myself, but I haven't seen it since I was a teenager. I have several friends who like it, so I trust that there's probably something to it. Quality is seldom as self-evident as you seem to think it is.
    Good post. I owe you a +1.

All masterpieces.
    Sven, you have to check out the hour-long interview of DePalma by Noah Baumbach on the new Blow Out Criterion release. Great stuff, especially when DePalma goes off about how he hates "coverage" and an over-reliance on close-ups.

The trend is that films derided on a mass scale like Ishtar generally harbor choice qualities that are overlooked in the scramble to prove one's self a voice of status quo reasoning.
    And to think this was your MO way before the trend started. How ahead of the curve are you!?

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    You mean as a guilty-pleasure thing or a so-bad-it's-good thing or are you genuinely arguing that these are good movies and the rest of us missed out?
    While a few are flawed movies that I still find well worth seeing, a few are to me genuinely great movies. Heaven's Gate is one of American film's high points.
    My Blog
    My Reviews
    Follow me on Twitter

It's like, how much more black could this be? And the answer is none. None more black.

Quote Quoting Derek (view post)
    And to think this was your MO way before the trend started. How ahead of the curve are you!?
    Brow furrowed, I've been trying to pinpoint for the last few minutes exactly where the ribbing is here. Maybe I wasn't clear enough in my post. The trend has been there pretty much forever. I feel like I've always tried to give derided films a fair shot. I'm missing the joke.

Thanks for the rec about the De Palma interview. I've been wondering how it is.

...when DePalma goes off about how he hates "coverage" and an over-reliance on close-ups.
    Yes! I can't tell you how many projects I've worked on that have alienated my artistic sensibilities with an insistence on proper coverage. Probably why I dislike television as much as I do.

Brow furrowed, I've been trying to pinpoint for the last few minutes exactly where the ribbing is here. Maybe I wasn't clear enough in my post. The trend has been there pretty much forever. I feel like I've always tried to give derided films a fair shot. I'm missing the joke.
    Does the word "trend" not suggest something temporary? If it's been around forever, it's not really a trend. The way you said made it sound like you were saying it was in vogue or whatevs and I was saying you were doing that before it was cool. Nothing mean-spirited intended.

Quote Quoting Sven
    Thanks for the rec about the De Palma interview. I've been wondering how it is.
    Yeah, Baumbach's a good interviewer and they cover a good amount of ground. I do wonder if the Baumbach/DePalma combo will make Armond's head explode.

Does the word "trend" not suggest something temporary? If it's been around forever, it's not really a trend. The way you said made it sound like you were saying it was in vogue or whatevs and I was saying you were doing that before it was cool. Nothing mean-spirited intended.
    Ah. I was using "trend" to describe a pattern. As in "the trend is that the sky is more red during a sunset". Anyway, this is not to say that I am not a prescient genius and dictator of discerning taste.

Are people keeping up with this?
    They're awesome.

[youtube]6s6UiEuCYXA[/youtube]
    [youtube]PTSEa--Alkw[/youtube]
    [youtube]sqlaU5OMsks[/youtube]
    [youtube]uIFbGNqs0JQ[/youtube]
    [youtube]e4QRSbf9H5M[/youtube]
    [youtube]5tWh4Z42SJk[/youtube]

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

The auteur theory can go fuck itself -- Madman
    Been a while one of my posts containing "Fuck" and involving something film related was sig. Too long, I say :P
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

Opinions on Tim Burton's Mars Attacks!?

Was watching it last night for the first time since it was originally released on VHS, and I was 9 years old, so in other words I was pretty much watching it for the first time.

And yeesh...awful.
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)

Was watching it last night for the first time since it was originally released on VHS, and I was 9 years old, so in other words I was pretty much watching it for the first time.

And yeesh...awful.
    Paid excellent fan service for people who collected the card sets.
    My YouTube Channel: Grim Street Grindhouse
    My Top 100 Horror Movies OF ALL TIME.

I think its a really funny spoof of 1950s sci-fi space invader movies. Plus it has Jack Nickelson playing two roles, and a young Jack Black and Natalie Portman as well. My favorite moment though is the great Jim Brown fighting the Martian leader.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

I was surprised by how totally unfunny it is.

Just...blah. Total misfire. And what a waste of such an incredible cast.

Post-Ed Wood Burton is all pretty bad.

And yeesh...awful.
    Let's see. I saw it in theaters with my friend Chip, and we would have been... oh... sixteen. We laughed and laughed and laughed.

Would I think it's funny now? Hard to say.
    ...and the milk's in me.

Post-Ed Wood Burton is all pretty bad.

Sleepy Hollow is wonderful :sad:

Mars Attacks is great.

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.

And yeesh...awful.
    Bold concept, scattershot execution.

Quote Quoting Mara (view post)
    Let's see. I saw it in theaters with my friend Chip, and we would have been... oh... sixteen. We laughed and laughed and laughed.

Would I think it's funny now? Hard to say.
    I vividly remember seeing it in theaters and i vividly remember being so disappointed. They rebooted the comic series around this time and boy was Mars Attacks a terrible movie, probably Burtons worst. Best part? Jack being impaled by the Martian flag.