Page 2693 of 2880 FirstFirst ... 1693219325932643268326912692269326942695270327432793 ... LastLast
Results 67,301 to 67,325 of 71983

Thread: 28 Film Discussion Threads Later

Where the Wild Things Are - Good movie, but goddamn is the soundtrack insufferable. That and the overuse of shakycam are the main things that prevented me from finding it great.

[
    ]

Quote Quoting amberlita (view post)
    I really want to know the cost of the bill Conrad Van Orton has to pay at the end of The Game. This will forever be my greatest film mystery, aside from the three seashells thing.
    Felt like there's some film essay that figured this out. Couldn't find it, so I must've made it up.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting Ivan Drago (view post)
    I don't know how or why Baz Luhrmann's Romeo + Juliet exists, but it's such a grand and affecting adaptation of the Shakespeare classic from the lens of truly cinematic gonzo WTFery that I want to find the time capsule that it came from.
    I would like to put it back in that time capsule and then hit that time capsule with a nuclear bomb. It pained me when this movie was used in my son's English class, as they were studying Romeo and Juliet. It's like the cinematic equivalent of white teachers using rap to teach kids about math or nutrition of whatever. Condescending and dopey.
    Coming to America (Landis, 1988) **
    The Beach Bum (Korine, 2019) *1/2
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Fugue (Smoczynska, 2018) ***1/2
    Prisoners (Villeneuve, 2013) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Oslo, August 31st (J. Trier, 2011) ****
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2
    Fighting With My Family (Merchant, 2019) **
    Upstream Color (Carruth, 2013) ***

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting Spinal (view post)
    It pained me when this movie was used in my son's English class, as they were studying Romeo and Juliet.
    Whaaaaaaat the fuuuuuuuuuuck. I woulda stormed the next PTA and started throwing shit.

(My teacher used the Zeffirelli version.)

I would like to put it back in that time capsule and then hit that time capsule with a nuclear bomb. It pained me when this movie was used in my son's English class, as they were studying Romeo and Juliet. It's like the cinematic equivalent of white teachers using rap to teach kids about math or nutrition of whatever. Condescending and dopey.
    Thats how I feel about Baz movies in general.

Thats crazy about your son's class. Either that teacher is really struggling to reach kids or they've given up entirely. Either way, thats unacceptable.

They used that movie to teach my class as well when I was in high school. :P

Anyways, it has its issues, but I still really dig that particular movie all the same.

Doesn't seem all that bizarre to me. It retains the Shakespearean dialogue.

Anyway, it's a great film, from before Baz Luhrmann turned to shit.

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    We watched the one where the girl drops the sheets and you see boobage. I was shocked they allowed that to happen. I think it was 10th grade English?
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

My class watched the Zeffirelli version and the Luhrmann version. Then we wrote essays about which one we liked better. Every single person in the class preferred the Luhrmann version (including me).

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    We watched the one where the girl drops the sheets and you see boobage. I was shocked they allowed that to happen. I think it was 10th grade English?
    Same.

And it was Olivia Hussey.

We all learned something that day.

The Baz version is an awful movie with a great soundtrack. They wrote “sword” on the side of guns, guys. ��

I can pretty much recite the Zeffirelli version by heart. Seen it a couple dozens times at least.

Evil mind, evil sword. Ivan Drago's Avatar
    I was shown the Zefferelli version my freshman year of high school. It's been forever since I've seen it.

Anyway, it's been a couple days since I watched the late-90s one for the first time and I still have no idea if I liked it or not. It's something so obnoxious in style from its overuse of slow motion and speed ramps to over-the-top acting and rapid-fire editing that in theory I should hate it, but it's so absurd and surreal in its concept while retaining the grand spectacle and emotion of the classic play that I was able to get a LOT of enjoyment out of it, and even be affected by the tragic ending. It was certainly a unique theater experience.
    Last Five Films I've Seen (Out of 5)

The Boy, The Mole, The Fox and the Horse (Mackesy, 2022) 4.5
    Puss In Boots: The Last Wish (Crawford, 2022) 4
    Confess, Fletch (Mottola, 2022) 3.5
    M3GAN (Johnstone, 2023) 3.5
    Turning Red (Shi, 2022) 4.5
    Tokyo Story (Ozu, 1953) 5

615 Film
    Letterboxd

Quote Quoting amberlita (view post)
    They wrote “sword” on the side of guns, guys. ��.
    That's precisely the sorta stuff I loved about that movie.

That's precisely the sorta stuff I loved about that movie.
    Ditto.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Producer
    We were shown the Baz version when we studied the play in school too (Thai international middle school, but still), I think it's because it contains no nudity, funny considering how more violent it is. I had already watched both versions before then; the Zefferelli is one of my favorites ever, but the Baz I still liked a whole lot (the chemistry can't obviously be up to the red-hot one of the older version, but it is still good, and Claire Danes is great in it). This may sound like sacrilege, and I don't know if the Baz is the first one to do that, but I really love the just-miss of the death scene, where Juliet wakes up as Romeo just finishes drinking the poison. The original scene works great in a play, but this adaptation choice really fits the cinematic version; and it's the one part where I prefer the Baz over the older one.
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - 8.5
    The Adventures of Robinhood (1938) - 8
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5
    Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7.5

It pains me... PAINS ME ... that Olivia Hussey's breasts are found to be more objectionable by teachers than Baz Luhrman running roughshod over the play itself.
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2

I should see the entire Zefirelli one. It's one of those films that used to be all the time on TV so I watched bits and pieces of it and never got around to watching it from the start.

Quote Quoting Grouchy (view post)
    I should see the entire Zefirelli one. It's one of those films that used to be all the time on TV so I watched bits and pieces of it and never got around to watching it from the start.
    Its really wonderful.

It's like the cinematic equivalent of white teachers using rap to teach kids about math or nutrition of whatever.
    As someone who has spent a lot of time trawling youtube for good maths videos, there are so many of these kinds of videos and they are all the worst. If you record one of these, you should be banned from teaching for life.

Also, Romeo + Juliet sucks shit.

Evil mind, evil sword. Ivan Drago's Avatar
    Ha, I know two people who have done motion graphics on higher budget videos like those. Both of them said it's absolutely soul crushing.

BTW, of all the movies coming near me on this list, I've seen Persona, The Seventh Seal, and Wild Strawberries. What should I prioritize?
    Last Five Films I've Seen (Out of 5)

The Boy, The Mole, The Fox and the Horse (Mackesy, 2022) 4.5
    Puss In Boots: The Last Wish (Crawford, 2022) 4
    Confess, Fletch (Mottola, 2022) 3.5
    M3GAN (Johnstone, 2023) 3.5
    Turning Red (Shi, 2022) 4.5
    Tokyo Story (Ozu, 1953) 5

615 Film
    Letterboxd

Quote Quoting Ivan Drago (view post)
    Ha, I know two people who have done motion graphics on higher budget videos like those. Both of them said it's absolutely soul crushing.

BTW, of all the movies coming near me on this list, I've seen Persona, The Seventh Seal, and Wild Strawberries. What should I prioritize?
    Winter Light
    The Virgin Spring
    Scenes from a Marriage

If I only could pick three.
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2

The Virgin Spring is one of the most disturbing dramas ever filmed. Summer with Monika is hot, so there's always that.

I told a Jewish friend of mine who is mixed on the Coens (loves some, hates some) to watch Hail, Caesar! He was mixed on it as well, but one thing he said that stayed with me was that the Coens are the only Jewish filmmakers who constantly make Christian-themed movies. I thought that was an interesting observation. There are certainly themes of redemption and even martyrdom in all of their work.

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    Clue - 1985 - B

Whenever the characters stand around and bicker with each other, the dialogue bounces along joyfully with double-entendre, puns, cynical asides, and a touch of the effervescence found in something like a Thin Man or Lady Vanishes. Whenever the film leans into its cartoon sensibilities, however - most often during pitched action accompanied by an overactive cartoon score - it feels like something critical has disappeared. This all comes to a head during a climax where Tim Curry runs a symposium on doing the exact wrong thing in the exact right way, racing around like a Looney Toon come to life (impressive) but to diminishing returns as you realize that's the sole joke, and it's still going.

That might seem like a condemnation, but the film mostly works, sliding carefully into its Old Dark House environment with some gravity and mystery before revealing itself as a pure comedy (even Whale's classic dipped into genuine thrills), which makes for a subversive and enjoyable middle act. Michael McKean, fresh out of Spinal Tap, gets in some of the best jokes. He pratfalls through a broken table with pitch-perfect nonchalance, and his theater-sized slap of Mrs. Peacock shocks him as much as everybody else. Martin Mull's Mustard and Lesley Ann Warren's Scarlet also find the film's ideal wavelength of deadpan absurdity, him the blustery idiot, her the annoyed seductress. Oddly, Christopher Lloyd and Madeline Kahn feel left behind - why hire Lili Von Shtupp and have her play demure?

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Need to watch that now.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    Need to watch that now.
    Counterpoint (I watched this recently as well):

35/100

An unfunny comedy is torture to sit through; an unfunny screwball comedy is that plus a migraine plus someone screaming in your face for two hours.
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64