Page 2842 of 2880 FirstFirst ... 18422342274227922832284028412842284328442852 ... LastLast
Results 71,026 to 71,050 of 71983

Thread: 28 Film Discussion Threads Later

In all seriousness I think Breakin' 2: Electric Boogaloo is a great title. I've never seen the movie but the title alone tells me that it's a sequel to Breakin' in which people breakdance in the electric boogaloo style, so it's perfectly descriptive, obviously very memorable, and best of all it's a numbered sequel. I hate how sequels nowadays don't have numbers in them.

Quote Quoting Wryan (view post)
    Nights of Cabiria is my fave Fellini and one of my fave movies of all time.
    Yes, definitely my favorite Fellini. I just signed up with the Criterion channel, lots of great movies to watch and rewatch! Tonight was a rewatch of Chungking Express probably my favorite Kar-Wai Wong film.

I have a really tough time settling on a favorite Fellini because there are so many stages to his career. La Strada or Nights of Cabiria might be the best neorealist ones, but I have a hard time comparing those to 8 & 1/2 or Juliet of the Spirits, or even those to Roma or Satyricon.

Martin Campbell's The Foreigner is a surprisingly decent little political thriller.

Just found it strange that all of the marketing is it being a Jackie Chan movie, when he was really more of a supporting role.
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

Really enjoyed that blind buy.

Quote Quoting Grouchy (view post)
    I have a really tough time settling on a favorite Fellini because there are so many stages to his career. La Strada or Nights of Cabiria might be the best neorealist ones, but I have a hard time comparing those to 8 & 1/2 or Juliet of the Spirits, or even those to Roma or Satyricon.
    Agree. Goes to show how broad his mastery of the form. Having said that, definitely 8 1/2 .
    Stuff I've Watched out of *****

The Last Duel - ***
    Only Murders in the Building: **
    Squid Games: **.5

Was surprised by the impact that Quo Vadis, Aida? left on me. I'm familiar enough with the Bosnian War between Serbs and Muslims that some events with the United Nations weren't really a surprise, but the care with which Jasmila Žbanić directs this film is just devastating. Reminiscent of the Paul Greengrass and Dardenne brothers strategy of filmmaking, all cinema verite, but it builds and builds with that final crescendo--showing the captives a real film--before the coda cuts to a perfectly infuriating state of barely repressed anger at having to live beside--and teach the children of--those who perpetrated harm on one's own family.

Likely the best film I've seen that was up for any Oscar last year, though there's still several International Film nominees to see (this was better than Another Round, though).
    The Boat People - 9
    The Power of the Dog - 7.5
    The King of Pigs - 7

Public service announcement: Do not watch The Woman in the Window. It is terrible. I refuse to make a page for it in the 2021 section. Just avoid.
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

Quote Quoting transmogrifier (view post)
    Public service announcement: Do not watch The Woman in the Window. It is terrible. I refuse to make a page for it in the 2021 section. Just avoid.
    I'm surprised so many are watching it. Is it because it's on Netflix?

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    I'm surprised so many are watching it. Is it because it's on Netflix?
    In my case, it's because my wife (and I, it must be said) enjoys mystery-thrillers, so what was the harm? Joe Wright is a decent director, after all. Well.... not this time.
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

I'm the problem it's me DFA1979's Avatar
    That movie looked pretty awful. I made a joke about Gary Oldman looking like a creepy congressman on Twitter in response to seeing the trailer for the flick online.
    Blog!

And it's happened once again
    I'll turn to a friend
    Someone that understands
    And sees through the master plan
    But everybody's gone
    And I've been here for too long
    To face this on my own
    Well, I guess this is growing up

On that note I saw last night that Mad Dog Time was on Tubi. I remembered Ebert's hilarious take down of the film and after watching the trailer I thought to myself "Wow he might be right." So I viewed Sabata instead and enjoyed a good old school spaghetti western that is a blast even if the ending is kind of dumb. Sometimes taking people's word for it that a movie is a turkey might be the wise decision.
    Blog!

I'll turn to a friend
    Someone that understands
    But everybody's gone
    To face this on my own

The Sabata theme is one of the finest in all spaghetti western not by Morricone. In what seems like milennia ago I showed it to some friends and they played it with their band for years.

Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Johnson, 2017)

[
    ]

Final Score: 8.25

The Sabata theme is one of the finest in all spaghetti western not by Morricone. In what seems like milennia ago I showed it to some friends and they played it with their band for years.

Yes that score was pretty sweet. I forgot to look up who did it, yet props to them all the same.
    Blog!

I'll turn to a friend
    Someone that understands
    But everybody's gone
    To face this on my own

The Friends of Eddie Coyle is so good. I'm surprised it doesn't enjoy a greater reputation as one of the best crime movies of the 70s.

Quote Quoting StanleyK (view post)
    The Friends of Eddie Coyle is so good. I'm surprised it doesn't enjoy a greater reputation as one of the best crime movies of the 70s.
    I've been sort of passively avoiding this ever since I read the novel--which is brilliant--because, even though it's obvious how it could be turned into a play or a movie (the book is virtually all dialogue), I doubt the novel's special qualities would survive the translation (in the book, the reader often has to infer from context who's speaking).
    Just because...
    The Fabelmans (Steven Spielberg, 2022) mild
    Petite maman (Céline Sciamma, 2021) mild
    The Banshees of Inisherin (Martin McDonagh, 2022) mild

The last book I read was...
    The Complete Short Stories by Mark Twain

The (New) World

Quote Quoting StanleyK (view post)
    I liked that one a lot. Robert Mitchum is fantastic as usual.
    Blog!

I'll turn to a friend
    Someone that understands
    But everybody's gone
    To face this on my own

Has anyone else watched La Flor - Criterion has it for the rest of the month. Even if you don't want to commit to umpteen hours, I highly recommend Part I just on its own.

Into The Night-Good cast, subpar movie. This should have been funnier or more entertaining. Some parts work, others fall really flat. Goldblum and Pfeiffer have good chemistry, at least.

Remo Williams coasts on Fred Ward being very charming and likable. Goofy movie, why they had Joel Grey play an Asian man is both confusing and awful. This could have been a fun series but the movie bombed. Both viewed on Tubi.

I'm also watching Stormy Monday which is mostly all style, no substance yet the cast rocks and the style is glorious. I mean you have Tommy Lee Jones standing in front of an American flag. How much more wonderfully obvious can a movie get? Ah the 1980s. Thanks to Arrow Video, which I love dearly.
    Blog!

I'll turn to a friend
    Someone that understands
    But everybody's gone
    To face this on my own

Watched Boss Level last night.

What a weird movie.

Will post more later.
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

Quote Quoting Yxklyx (view post)
    Has anyone else watched La Flor - Criterion has it for the rest of the month. Even if you don't want to commit to umpteen hours, I highly recommend Part I just on its own.
    I still have it pending. I loved Historias Extraordinarias but, well, you know... this one is 14 hours long.

Regardless, Llinás is a really unique talent. Best teacher I had at film school. He's a huge genre fan.

Producer
    The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring (2001)

[first time Extended Edition]

I'd always wanted to watch the Extended Editions of these films for a long time, but feel like I should tackle the book boxset gifted to me over a decade ago first. Now that I reread The Hobbit and watched the Maple Edit of its three films last month, I finally figured it's time.

Still the best of three for me (though Return of the King now comes closer), and if anything this time I loved it even more with this Extended Edition, because it expands on what makes this film an instant favorite even on first watch: that sense of a whole new world vividly blooming before your eyes, fully formed. Like the book (of which this is surprisingly a faithful adaptation, right down to even some iconic imagery and lines), the film is, paradoxically and powerfully, an epic of both straight-through focus and expansive, majestic awe.

Watching it, I cannot tell from memory where the additional material begins and ends. It's just that seamless and helps add to the introduction of Middle-earth, which is crucial for this part; spending more time in the Shire establishes an even firmer feeling of fleeting idyll, in which the haunting specter of the Hobbits potentially losing the place packs enormous punch throughout, almost without the film referencing back to it.

And this might be the most cathartic, full-hearted, and gorgeously emotional cliffhanger ending ever in filmdom. The canny adaptation choice of moving incidents around (especially the first chapter of the next book) to have several threads concluding together makes for a most satisfying story pause, as weird as that may sound. Howard Shore and Sean Bean/Astin delivering emotional knock-outs in succession help tremendously, of course. By the time Frodo and Sam embraces after the latter almost drowns, and the camera cuts to a wide shot of them on a small boat in a vast river as "The Breaking of the Fellowship" swells, all the seemingly counterintuitive combining of big-scale and intimate directorial choices is just stirring in the extreme, and the scene exemplifies what Peter Jackson has accomplished in this film as a whole as well: he has created an epic of scope that you feel deeply, intuitively in your gut. 10/10

Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - 8.5
    The Adventures of Robinhood (1938) - 8
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5
    Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7.5

I still have it pending. I loved Historias Extraordinarias but, well, you know... this one is 14 hours long.

Regardless, Llinás is a really unique talent. Best teacher I had at film school. He's a huge genre fan.
    Finished it - including the 40m credits sequence - ha ha! As a complete thing I'd rate it a 6/10 but Part 1 (eps 1 & 2) would be a 9/10, episode 3 (the original Part 2) would be a 7/10, the original Part 3 probably just be a 4 or 5 out of 10.

- - - - -
    Meanwhile...

The Tribeca Film Festival sold itself to ... the Murdoch family? in 2019?! WTF?

https://www.showbiz411.com/2019/08/0...-fox-lupa-fund

^ Informative, sorta, with a weird side of editorial, because I can't image being such a rube that anyone would post this:

Quote Quoting Local Yokel
    So yes, we all lose our naivete on this one. The good guys have sold out to the bad guys. James Murdoch is trying to legitimize his family’s horrible history, and their ongoing mayhem at Fox News. Now they’ve taken control of Tribeca. DeNiro et al went for the money. The ideology didn’t matter.
    Ya mean a bunch multi-millionaires went for the money, personal values be damned? I'm shocked. Shocked.