Page 2771 of 2880 FirstFirst ... 1771227126712721276127692770277127722773278128212871 ... LastLast
Results 69,251 to 69,275 of 71983

Thread: 28 Film Discussion Threads Later

Okay, serious question - I want to send a classic romantic comedy to a girl through this wonderful invention called the internet. I'm torn between Bringing Up Baby and The Philadelphia Story.

There's always a chance she'll find some sexist elements on these comedies, but honestly, I can't even tell what people find acceptable or not anymore. I seem to have my own standards.

Quote Quoting Grouchy (view post)
    Okay, serious question - I want to send a classic romantic comedy to a girl through this wonderful invention called the internet. I'm torn between Bringing Up Baby and The Philadelphia Story.

There's always a chance she'll find some sexist elements on these comedies, but honestly, I can't even tell what people find acceptable or not anymore. I seem to have my own standards.
    I really didn't care for either of those but I'm a guy. The first good one that comes to mind is My Man Godfrey. Bringing up Baby is definitely the most memorable of those two - I can't recall a thing from the other one.
    Last edited by Yxklyx; 03-28-2020 at 04:36 AM.

Producer
    Even if I love Bringing Up Baby slightly more, there's some chance (from what I see in many circles) that she might find Hepburn's character irritating. So I think in this context The Philadelphia Story will be a safer choice?
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - 8.5
    The Adventures of Robinhood (1938) - 8
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5
    Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7.5

Holiday is a great one.

You know those times when you revisit a movie you loved when you were a lot younger, and aside from nostalgia you find little left to like?

I'm so glad that didn't happen with The Limey.

Hot damn that movie is spectacular. Everyone is stellar in it, the dialogue is snappy and fun when it needs to be, and brutal and raw when it needs to be that. The style of having the same conversation carry on between different settings and time periods is so unique and cool.

It's fucking great. Right up there with the very best gritty crime thrillers.

THEM HIM I'M FUCKING COMING!

She loved The Philadelphia Story and asked me for more comedies like that. I now have to choose between His Girl Friday and Bringing Up Baby.

EDIT: I haven't seen My Man Godrey or Holiday.

It Happened One Night is charming. I prefer His Girl Friday to Bringing Up Baby just because it's less frustrating to me. But both are great.

Ooooh I'd forgotten about It Happened One Night.

Twentieth Century and The Lady Eve are also great.
    Just because...
    The Fabelmans (Steven Spielberg, 2022) mild
    Petite maman (CĂ©line Sciamma, 2021) mild
    The Banshees of Inisherin (Martin McDonagh, 2022) mild

The last book I read was...
    The Complete Short Stories by Mark Twain

The (New) World

Producer
    Quote Quoting Grouchy (view post)
    She loved The Philadelphia Story and asked me for more comedies like that. I now have to choose between His Girl Friday and Bringing Up Baby.

EDIT: I haven't seen My Man Godrey or Holiday.
    Between those two choices, definitely His Girl Friday, one of my all-time faves.

For more in the vein: It Happened One Night, Trouble in Paradise, Holiday (1938), Midnight (1939), The Shop Around the Corner, The Major and the Minor, The Palm Beach Story...

In general though, the romantic comedies/dramas of Ernst Lubitsch and Preston Sturges are pretty hard to beat.

Also, how far back classic are we talking? I'm thinking she would like many Audrey Hepburn films too.
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - 8.5
    The Adventures of Robinhood (1938) - 8
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5
    Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7.5

Yeah, we actually started talking about Breakfast at Tiffany's so she's seen at least that. She's a film buff, just not to our levels of mental illness... although many of those recommendations I haven't seen myself.

Thanks a lot, guys! I'll let you know if this leads to some much needed action post quarantine.

Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    You know those times when you revisit a movie you loved when you were a lot younger, and aside from nostalgia you find little left to like?

I'm so glad that didn't happen with The Limey.

Hot damn that movie is spectacular. Everyone is stellar in it, the dialogue is snappy and fun when it needs to be, and brutal and raw when it needs to be that. The style of having the same conversation carry on between different settings and time periods is so unique and cool.

It's fucking great. Right up there with the very best gritty crime thrillers.

THEM HIM I'M FUCKING COMING!
    10/10. I love that movie so much and in a cooler world it is a Criterion.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Brain fart...

What is the term used for the shot that sets up the environment the characters are in?
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

establishing shot!

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Hahah yeah, exactly.

Just call Gerard Butler's carrer dumb and fun. But I think we all deserve a new disaster film no?

Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    Holiday is a great one.
    Yeah I love that one, but it's got a much sadder tone than you'd expect for a Romantic Comedy, not even sure it should be categorized as such.

Midnight, It Happened One Night and The Shop Around the Corner are must-sees! Not mentioned was Christmas in July.
    Last edited by Yxklyx; 04-02-2020 at 01:45 PM.

Funny seeing Room At the Top in your signature.

I'm dying to see that one and just added it to my Amazon wishlist the other day.

The Untouchables is probably the least De Palma feeling film I have seen from De Palma, but I still enjoyed it quite a bit.

The cast and performances are stellar across the board, really embracing the larger than life, almost operatic tone of the thing. Every actor got a chance to chew the scenery.

Don't really see Connery's performance as Oscar worthy, despite stealing the show with sheer charisma.

The oft-parodied/referenced stairway shootout is tense and dramatic.

A good crime thriller. It's not The Godfather, but it's a head and a half above most.

I'm doing my film club online and I showed it the other day. The reason why it doesn't feel as De Palma-ish is because he deliberately limited his influence on the screenplay.

Quote Quoting Brian De Palma
    Being a writer myself, I don't like to take credit for things I didn't do. I didn't develop this script. David [Mamet] used some of my ideas and he didn't use some of them. I looked upon it more clinically, as a piece of material that has to be shaped, with certain scenes here or there. But as for the moral dimension, that's more or less the conception of the script, and I just implemented it with my skills – which are well developed. It's good to walk in somebody else's shoes for a while. You get out of your own obsessions; you are in the service of somebody else's vision, and that's a great discipline for a director.
    Last edited by Grouchy; 04-03-2020 at 03:13 PM.

Hey that's a very cool insight, thanks.

What is your favorite De Palma? Least favorite?

Mine:

Favorite - Mission: Impossible
    Least - The Black Dahlia
    last four:
    black widow - 8
    zero dark thirty - 9
    the muse - 7
    freaky - 7

now reading:
    lonesome dove - larry mcmurtry

Letterboxd
    The Harrison Marathon - A Podcast About Harrison Ford

Quote Quoting Lazlo (view post)
    Mine:

Favorite - Mission: Impossible
    Least - The Black Dahlia
    I watched Mission: Impossible again recently and hot damn it's good. It's really, really, really good.

I think my favorite is either Sisters or Phantom of the Paradise.

Let's rank 'em!

1. Mission: Impossible
    2. The Untouchables
    3. Sisters
    4. Blow Out
    5. Femme Fatale
    6. Body Double
    7. Carlito's Way
    8. Dressed to Kill
    9. Carrie
    10. Scarface
    11. Snake Eyes
    12. The Fury
    13. Casualties of War
    14. Mission to Mars
    15. Raising Cain
    16. Passion
    17. The Bonfire of the Vanities
    19. Redacted
    20. Wise Guys
    21. The Black Dahlia
    last four:
    black widow - 8
    zero dark thirty - 9
    the muse - 7
    freaky - 7

now reading:
    lonesome dove - larry mcmurtry

Letterboxd
    The Harrison Marathon - A Podcast About Harrison Ford

Totally forgot about Blow Out. That movie is brilliant.

Scarface has not aged well. Loved it when I was 15, but now I find a lot of it groan inducing.