Page 2168 of 2880 FirstFirst ... 11681668206821182158216621672168216921702178221822682668 ... LastLast
Results 54,176 to 54,200 of 71983

Thread: 28 Film Discussion Threads Later

Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    I've had some great experiences like this, as well.

Though I have found that many old movie trailers gave way too much away, as well as often going on far too long.

I've seen trailers from the '50s and '60s that went over the entire plot, including the climax, and last more than 4 minutes.
    Fortunately new trailers learned from those mistakes and now ruin everything in less than 2 minutes.

Quote Quoting transmogrifier (view post)
    I can't for the life of me figure out how Gran Torino gets mentioned as a great film, or even a good one. It is crushingly cliched and poorly acted.
    Yeah, it's a piece of shit.
    Last 5 Viewed
    Riddick (David Twohy | 2013 | USA/UK)
    Night Across the Street (Raoul Ruiz | 2012 | Chile/France)*
    Pain & Gain (Michael Bay | 2013 | USA)*
    You're Next (Adam Wingard | 2011 | USA)
    Little Odessa (James Gray | 1994 | USA)*

*recommended *highly recommended

“It isn't easy to accept that suffering can also be beautiful... it's difficult. It's something you can only understand if you dig deeply into yourself.” -- Rainer Werner Fassbinder

twitter | next projection | criticker | frames within frames

- - - - -
    I've never thought much about Clint Eastwood as a director. Most of his career, he's been hampered by being forced to cast himself as the lead to get funding. And he's always been something of a commercial, populist kind of moviemaker.

His movies always seem deeply rooted in the time they were made (Every Which Way But Loose, Pink Cadillac, Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil). Sometimes his timing is perfect (Unforgiven, 1992) and sometimes it's awful (Pale Rider, 1985). He also whored himself out a bit in the 1990s, obviously more interested in payoffs than art (Absolute Power, Space Cowboys).

The reason I keep seeing his movies is the same reason I keep seeing Woody Allen and Spike Lee's stuff. Because even if the work in question is below par, hell, I figure it's got a better than even chance to be interesting subject matter and have some kind of a point of view, both socially and artistically. You can't really say that about a lot of people working today.

Directing is something of a secondary career to him and he's made 35 movies to date. He's still turned out, by my count, eight or nine movies that are notable and worth seeing.

That alone puts him well above average, in just about any context.

I like that (in most of his films) Eastwood has no problem putting his personal politics on display, even if they are questionable by societal standards.

Even if it's an opinion or view I don't agree with, I find it much more interesting to see someone being honest about how they see the world, than pandering to audiences or critics.
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

Eastwood seems to have movies that I'll either love or find unwatchable. His last two for instance just seem so boring and uninteresting that I'm not even going to bother with them.

When it deals with one character, it seems to be at its best. So long as he doesn't get carried away with multiple storylines like in Changeling or Midnight in the Garden of Good & Evil.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    The reason I keep seeing his movies is the same reason I keep seeing Woody Allen and Spike Lee's stuff. Because even if the work in question is below par, hell, I figure it's got a better than even chance to be interesting subject matter and have some kind of a point of view, both socially and artistically. You can't really say that about a lot of people working today.
    Well said.
    Last 5 Viewed

“It isn't easy to accept that suffering can also be beautiful... it's difficult. It's something you can only understand if you dig deeply into yourself.” -- Rainer Werner Fassbinder

I kinda feel the opposite. I feel like I could go the rest of my life without experiencing Eastwood's artistry or his point of view and be just fine.
    Coming to America (Landis, 1988) **
    The Beach Bum (Korine, 2019) *1/2
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Fugue (Smoczynska, 2018) ***1/2
    Prisoners (Villeneuve, 2013) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Oslo, August 31st (J. Trier, 2011) ****
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2
    Fighting With My Family (Merchant, 2019) **
    Upstream Color (Carruth, 2013) ***

Quote Quoting Spinal (view post)
    I kinda feel the opposite. I feel like I could go the rest of my life without experiencing Eastwood's artistry or his point of view and be just fine.
    Haha, fair enough. I get what he's aiming at, though.
    Last 5 Viewed

It Makes Me Feel Alone Sxottlan's Avatar
    Don't think I've seen this posted yet.

August's Criterions:

And several blu-ray re-releases of earlier Criterion films: Battle of Algiers, If... and Orpheus.
    Out of 4 stars:
    The Guest: ***1/2
    Furious 7: ***
    The Tale of Princess Kaguya: ***
    It Follows: ***1/2

I thought that was an Eclipse set of 5 Kiyoshi Kurosawa films I've never heard of, then got all giddy, then sighed with disappointment upon 2nd look.

Still, nice month.

pushing too many pencils Rowland's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Boner M (view post)
    I thought that was an Eclipse set of 5 Kiyoshi Kurosawa films I've never heard of, then got all giddy, then sighed with disappointment upon 2nd look.
    Are you saying that all Japanese names in which both the first and the surname have the same number of syllables and begin with the letter K, the first names end with a 'yoshi', and the surnames almost rhyme, are difficult to tell apart? That's racist!
    Letterboxd rating scale:
    The Long Riders (Hill) ***
    Furious 7 (Wan) **½
    Hard Times (Hill) ****½
    Another 48 Hrs. (Hill) ***
    /48 Hrs./ (Hill) ***½
    The Extraordinary Adventures of Adèle Blanc-Sec (Besson) ***
    /Unknown/ (Collet-Serra) ***½
    Animal (Simmons) **

I've become more excited for each month's announcement of Eclipse titles than I am with Criterion.

Quote Quoting Rowland (view post)
    Are you saying that all Japanese names in which both the first and the surname have the same number of syllables and begin with the letter K, the first names end with a 'yoshi', and the surnames almost rhyme, are difficult to tell apart? That's racist!
    I hear the original title for the box was The Warped World of Another Japanese Dude

Quote Quoting soitgoes... (view post)
    I've become more excited for each month's announcement of Eclipse titles than I am with Criterion.
    Same here. I mean, as much as we needed another DVD of The Killing...
    Last 5 Viewed

pushing too many pencils Rowland's Avatar
    Really, they couldn't have included The Gate of Youth, which Kurahara co-directed with Kinji Fukasaku in 1981?!
    Letterboxd rating scale:
    The Long Riders (Hill) ***
    Furious 7 (Wan) **½
    Hard Times (Hill) ****½
    Another 48 Hrs. (Hill) ***
    /48 Hrs./ (Hill) ***½
    The Extraordinary Adventures of Adèle Blanc-Sec (Besson) ***
    /Unknown/ (Collet-Serra) ***½
    Animal (Simmons) **

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Boner M (view post)
    I kinda like Gran Torino but it's so shockingly poorly paced and edited; I remember taking my dad and even he pointed out those technical shortcomings. Stupid Clint rushing his post-prod to get in the awards race.
    The terrible acting is more obnoxious than the pacing.

And was it a well known fact he rushed it out the door?
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    And the Killing box art there is fucking amazing.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

By the way, did anybody hear that a director's cut of Ishtar is being screened in New York this week? I rather liked the original version, so I hope this gets some kind of DVD release.
    Just because...
    The Fabelmans (Steven Spielberg, 2022) mild
    Petite maman (Céline Sciamma, 2021) mild
    The Banshees of Inisherin (Martin McDonagh, 2022) mild

The last book I read was...
    The Complete Short Stories by Mark Twain

The (New) World

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting baby doll (view post)
    By the way, did anybody hear that a director's cut of Ishtar is being screened in New York this week? I rather liked the original version, so I hope this gets some kind of DVD release.
    This is the most bizarre thing I've ever heard anyone say in relation to entertainment.

All the more confusing as it's coming from you.

This is the most bizarre thing I've ever heard anyone say in relation to entertainment.

Hm, so entertainment shouldn't get some kind of DVD Release? Are you retarded?

Anyway, a Blu-ray release of the original cut was up for pre-order months ago on Amazon, but Sony cancelled it for some reason. This new Director's Cut must have been that reason, and I guess it'll come out in that format sooner or later. Which is great, because it's an awesome film.

edit- her previous stuff deserves a release more though. I think they're either out of print (The Heartbreak Kid), unreleased (A New Leaf) or really expensive in sub-par editions (Micky and Nicky).

What are you talking about? A guy liked a movie and hopes its director's cut makes it to DVD. Sounds perfectly sensible to me.
    My Blog
    My Reviews
    Follow me on Twitter

It's like, how much more black could this be? And the answer is none. None more black.

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    The terrible acting is more obnoxious than the pacing.

And was it a well known fact he rushed it out the door?
    I like Gran Torino.
    My Blog
    My Reviews
    Follow me on Twitter

It's like, how much more black could this be? And the answer is none. None more black.

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting balmakboor (view post)
    What are you talking about? A guy liked a movie and hopes its director's cut makes it to DVD. Sounds perfectly sensible to me.
    Because, my god, it's Ishtar. Ishtar?!

Quote Quoting dmk (view post)
    Hm, so entertainment shouldn't get some kind of DVD Release? Are you retarded?
    We're talking about the Warren Beatty, Dustin Hoffman movie, right? Or did he mean something else?

Because, my god, it's Ishtar. Ishtar?!

We're talking about the Warren Beatty, Dustin Hoffman movie, right? Or did he mean something else?
    You do know that Ishtar has a great many defenders?
    My Blog
    My Reviews
    Follow me on Twitter

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting balmakboor (view post)
    You do know that Ishtar has a great many defenders?
    You have single handedly just darkened my faith in humanity. I honestly did not believe that possible. :cry: