Page 2604 of 2880 FirstFirst ... 1604210425042554259426022603260426052606261426542704 ... LastLast
Results 65,076 to 65,100 of 71984

Thread: 28 Film Discussion Threads Later

The movements in movies look all wrong with that thing on. It literally cheapens the value of the cinematography.

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    "Shot on video". What does that even mean?
    Like shot on video tape, like a soap opera or live television? I thought that was common shorthand.

Too much responsibility Kurosawa Fan's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Isaac (view post)
    To me it makes everything look like it was shot on video, like a soap opera or a sitcom. No matter what I'm watching, it becomes fake-looking.
    Yep. It accentuates the artificial aspects of the filmmaking process. The costumes look like costumes, the sets look like sets. Any chance at losing myself in the verisimilitude of the film or show is lost.

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Neclord (view post)
    Like shot on video tape, like a soap opera or live television? I thought that was common shorthand.
    I've taped a lot of home video (TAPE) in the 90s, and it's never looked like a soap opera. So I just want to make sure we are talking about the same thing.

Live TV (or documentaries) on the other hand, does look like home video TAPE.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

DIGITAL video has now replaced video TAPE, so when people refer to shooting on video these days, they're usually not referring to VHS or Betamax.

But people do say they're shooting digital correct?

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    But people do say they're shooting digital correct?
    I suppose most people would call it "shooting digital(ly)" rather than shooting on video, but it's usually interchangeable. Tape would be a whole different animal these days since it's still used a lot in post, but only for the storage, transport and conversions of digital files.

Gotcha. In any event, I think the AMP looks great. Weird thing is, when I watch movies/TV on my other TVs (without AMP) I can notice the difference, but it doesn't bother me because they're smaller TVs.

I don't know anything about this enhancement you guys are discussing, but it is something that could vary in quality depending on television? Or satellite provider? Or combinations of both?

Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    I don't know anything about this enhancement you guys are discussing, but it is something that could vary in quality depending on television? Or satellite provider? Or combinations of both?
    It's the same, or similar, to the higher frame rate Jackson released the two Hobbit films in (I believe those were 48fps). I only saw the first one that way and it looked like a $300 million soap opera (read: shit) that distracted me from how bad it was by how awful it looked. The effect is great for sports because of the fast movements and the fact that our eyes are trained to watching sports with a tv look, rather than a film or projected DV look, but for movies, it has the bizarre effect, at least for a lot of people, of creating a soap opera look that renders everything false and sucks you out of whatever reality the film is creating. I actually think it's even more harmful for fantasy/sci-fi/superhero films than anything else.

"Shot on video" has to do with frame rates, not medium. Until roughly 10 years ago, video couldn't do sound-speed 24fps, the rate at which which film shoots sound-speed. Video shot sound-speed at 30fps (really 29.97), which contributes to smoother motion. 100 years of 24fps film look vs. 50 years of 30fps video look conditioned us to view the film look as signifying higher quality.

Motion smoothing duplicates frames to give an artificial smoothing effect not intended to exist in anything shot at 24fps, regardless of it being shot on film or video (Arri Alexa, RED Camera, etc.).
    last four:
    black widow - 8
    zero dark thirty - 9
    the muse - 7
    freaky - 7

now reading:
    lonesome dove - larry mcmurtry

Letterboxd
    The Harrison Marathon - A Podcast About Harrison Ford

Quote Quoting Derek (view post)
    It's the same, or similar, to the higher frame rate Jackson released the two Hobbit films in (I believe those were 48fps). I only saw the first one that way and it looked like a $300 million soap opera (read: shit) that distracted me from how bad it was by how awful it looked. The effect is great for sports because of the fast movements and the fact that our eyes are trained to watching sports with a tv look, rather than a film or projected DV look, but for movies, it has the bizarre effect, at least for a lot of people, of creating a soap opera look that renders everything false and sucks you out of whatever reality the film is creating. I actually think it's even more harmful for fantasy/sci-fi/superhero films than anything else.
    Interesting. Thanks. Applying how I felt about the HFR of the first Hobbit film (first time 3D action didn't seem to slip visually, but agree with rest of film looking really weird), I would probably think golf and football would look awesome and everything else odd. But who knows...like I said, I have no basis to compare these things until I see them. I swore I would never buy a plasma over a LCD or LED...until I found the plasma I've owned for years now. It still looks stunning, even more than any other plasma I've personally seen at friends houses and such.

Ain't that just the way EyesWideOpen's Avatar
    You would immediately notice it. Me and my wife would go over to one of her friends to watch Dexter as it aired and they had a new Sony and had it on and it looked ridiculous.
    TV Recently Finished:
    Catastrophe: Season 1 (2015) A
    Rectify: Season 3 (2015) A-
    Bojack Horseman: Season 2 (2015) A
    True Detective: Season 2 (2015) A-
    Wayward Pines: Season 1 (2015) B

Currently Playing: Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise (replay) (XB1) / Contradiction (PC)
    Recently Finished: Everybody's Gone to the Rapture (PS4) A+ / Life is Strange: Ep 4 (PS4) A / Bastion (replay) (PS4) B+

Yeah, looks pretty bad indeed. I remember this look starting in Public Enemies. A mobster movie with a DV look. Ugh, still sucks to see that in the movie, because it's an amazing movie otherwise.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

I saw Boyhood on friday and it's still bothering me that the whole 12-yrs-filming bit is a total gimmick, a wasted opportunity by Linklater. UGH.

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    Yeah, looks pretty bad indeed. I remember this look starting in Public Enemies. A mobster movie with a DV look. Ugh, still sucks to see that in the movie, because it's an amazing movie otherwise.
    I didn't like the movie much otherwise, but I kind of liked the DV look. It was interesting to see a historical drama shot in such a contemporary manner, rather through a nostalgic filter.

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    I agree, that looks like garbage. Miami Vice as well.

But watch Prometheus with it and it's brilliant.

Quote Quoting Zac Efron (view post)
    I saw Boyhood on friday and it's still bothering me that the whole 12-yrs-filming bit is a total gimmick, a wasted opportunity by Linklater. UGH.
    Huh. Any chance on elaborating, maybe in the Boyhood upcoming thread section?
    The Boat People - 9
    The Power of the Dog - 7.5
    The King of Pigs - 7

I frame rate is really crappy, but I thought this was well done.

I finally saw 8 1/2 so I can check that off the infamous to see list.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

What was your favorite part of 8 1/2?
    The Boat People - 9
    The Power of the Dog - 7.5
    The King of Pigs - 7

Evil mind, evil sword. Ivan Drago's Avatar
    The original Oldboy. Holy fucking crap, that twist. That sound design. That story. That entire fucking movie was incredible. My mind is still blown.
    Last Five Films I've Seen (Out of 5)

The Boy, The Mole, The Fox and the Horse (Mackesy, 2022) 4.5
    Puss In Boots: The Last Wish (Crawford, 2022) 4
    Confess, Fletch (Mottola, 2022) 3.5
    M3GAN (Johnstone, 2023) 3.5
    Turning Red (Shi, 2022) 4.5
    Tokyo Story (Ozu, 1953) 5

615 Film
    Letterboxd

Quote Quoting dreamdead (view post)
    What was your favorite part of 8 1/2?
    Probably Guido floating over the cars in the beginning. I'll have to watch the film multiple times before I know for sure.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

Highly recommend Harry Dean Stanton: Partly Fiction. Great documentary.

pushing too many pencils Rowland's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Ivan Drago (view post)
    The original Oldboy. Holy fucking crap, that twist. That sound design. That story. That entire fucking movie was incredible. My mind is still blown.
    First-time viewing? I've been meaning to give it another look to see if it still holds up, after being disappointed by the tame Spike Lee remake.
    Letterboxd rating scale:
    The Long Riders (Hill) ***
    Furious 7 (Wan) **½
    Hard Times (Hill) ****½
    Another 48 Hrs. (Hill) ***
    /48 Hrs./ (Hill) ***½
    The Extraordinary Adventures of Adèle Blanc-Sec (Besson) ***
    /Unknown/ (Collet-Serra) ***½
    Animal (Simmons) **