Page 2744 of 2880 FirstFirst ... 1744224426442694273427422743274427452746275427942844 ... LastLast
Results 68,576 to 68,600 of 71983

Thread: 28 Film Discussion Threads Later

Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    It really is going nowhere.
    Oh it's very Match-cut. 100%.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Quote Quoting MadMan (view post)
    Your post was cut and dry. Ok, Jane.
    But it was cut and dry and you still completely interpreted it wrong. I'm on Trans's side on this one.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Quote Quoting transmogrifier (view post)
    I think you should be able to love anything you want in any way you want - as long as you are able to handle criticism from some people who don't like it. And by "handle" I don't even mean "listen and consider" - I mean, just ignore it and keep on loving what you do. That is what is most amusing about the Scorsese thing - he is just giving his opinion about some movies, and MCU fans are up in arms. Like, everyone has their own definition of what cinema is, so deal with it?

Edit to add: Just a reminder, there is a huge difference between saying "I don't like Movie X" and "I don't think Person Y should talk about Movie X if they don't like it" - yes, they are both superficially opinions about Movie X, but one is focused on the movie itself to the exclusion of other things, and one is actively encouraging dissent to be quashed to prevent hurt feelings.

This is exactly what I mean when I say “fandom” (and why I hate it).

It’s toxic.

Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    This is exactly what I mean when I say “fandom” (and why I hate it).

It’s toxic.
    Last month at TIFF, I saw a grown man in the rush line waiting to see Joker in full costume and makeup, and it occurred to me that this guy had clearly already made up his mind that he was going to like the film even before he saw it--which I think is indicative how people in this century construct their identities around acts of consumption. (Similarly, I often see people on the subway carrying New Yorker tote bags as a way of signalling to strangers that they're people who read.) So when someone criticizes the things fragile young white men consume (in this case, comic book movies, but also video games, Rick and Morty, and Joe Rogan), the fans interpret it as an affront to their identity. This is why I'm curious about what the pro-MCU argument would be, because it sometimes seems to me that people are consuming the films as a lifestyle choice more than enjoying them as movies: i.e., it's less about the aesthetic experience of watching any one movie than it is about mastering the Marvel Cinematic Universe as a body of knowledge, hence the increasing tendency of franchise films to spread themselves across multiple sequels and prequels and across different media, so that a fan's apprenticeship in the series can continue indefinitely.
    Last edited by baby doll; 10-16-2019 at 12:20 AM.
    Just because...
    The Fabelmans (Steven Spielberg, 2022) mild
    Petite maman (Céline Sciamma, 2021) mild
    The Banshees of Inisherin (Martin McDonagh, 2022) mild

The last book I read was...
    The Complete Short Stories by Mark Twain

The (New) World

Your post was cut and dry. Ok, Jane.
    Look, it's simple. You misrepresented my post in order to take a jab at me for some reason, and then get haughty and offended when I try to clarify what I said and why you were wrong to interpret that way. In this day and age where the internet is full of people making shit up about an outgroup and using that to attack them, I'm not going to let someone invent an opinion for me that I don't hold. If you are too sensitive to accept that, bad luck for you. But I'm sick of people setting up a false argument and then acting all pissy when called on it.
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

Not offended, just amused that you are clearly upset that someone pointed out a good remake after you bashed remakes. I was also being sarcastic. If anything you are the one being pissy and sensitive.
    Last edited by MadMan; 10-16-2019 at 01:48 AM.
    BLOG

Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular

Not offended, just amused that you are clearly upset that someone pointed out a good remake after you bashed remakes.
    Quote Quoting transmogrifier (view post)
    History is littered with remakes. They are a neutral phenomenon. Especially since I don't have to watch them.
    Here we see Stages 2, 3 and 4 in the Insincere Internet Arguments for Dummies handbook:

Stage 2: Double down and misrepresent the opposing position even harder.
    Stage 3: It was a joke, calm down.
    Stage 4: Ha, defending yourself against blatant false accusations, such a snowflake, amirite?

This is quite impressive in its economy, I will give you that. It will save a lot of time getting to the endgame, you storming off blaming me for victimizing you, which would be Stage 5.

The "Yeah, ok, whatever" was a joking reference to an X-Files episode. Also if you don't like me asking you questions, then um ok. I noticed you ignored Duke which surprised me. Also how does one storm off a message board? I mean you can skip away perhaps, or slowly walk away I guess. Plus the personal attacks earlier were unnecessary, but I choose to shrug them off. I thought you were not so thin skinned, and I advise you to not post on Twitter any time soon. Have a nice day, and if you have any other complaints I can refer you to a manager or our store director.
    BLOG

Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular

Quote Quoting baby doll (view post)
    This is why I'm curious about what the pro-MCU argument would be, because it sometimes seems to me that people are consuming the films as a lifestyle choice more than enjoying them as movies: i.e., it's less about the aesthetic experience of watching any one movie than it is about mastering the Marvel Cinematic Universe as a body of knowledge, hence the increasing tendency of franchise films to spread themselves across multiple sequels and prequels and across different media, so that a fan's apprenticeship in the series can continue indefinitely.
    Personally, it's both. It is an event that I invite my entire family to. I buy five to six tickets (depending on whether my sister has a boyfriend at the time) three months before the movie opens, and we go out to dinner, then see an MCU movie on a Thurs night. It's fun for me on two levels. One) The characters I grew up on I am finally seeing in major motion picture instead of inked on a page. I think the entire MCU has been cast perfectly for the characters. and 2) I get to spend time with my family on a random Thurs night.

So yes, I am consuming them as a lifestyle. But I also own each one, rewatch them several times a year and thoroughly enjoy the majority of them. They are fun. Entertainment is fun. And there's nothing toxic about that.

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    Personally, it's both. It is an event that I invite my entire family to. I buy five to six tickets (depending on whether my sister has a boyfriend at the time) three months before the movie opens, and we go out to dinner, then see an MCU movie on a Thurs night. It's fun for me on two levels. One) The characters I grew up on I am finally seeing in major motion picture instead of inked on a page. I think the entire MCU has been cast perfectly for the characters. and 2) I get to spend time with my family on a random Thurs night.
    Hahah I like you, Duke.

Quote Quoting Grouchy (view post)
    Hahah I like you, Duke.
    Who knows... could have been the final family outing for a long time.

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting Esquire
    Q: I’m not really an Old Movie Guy, and you chose to focus only on movies from the '80s---and really the '90---on. Are you like me in that you don't see a ton of appeal in movies older than that?

A: I'm with you on that. I watch old movies and I'm like, "No, thanks." They're not fun. It's clear they were still trying to figure out how to do things. Some of them, of course, were undeniable, like a Jaws or Star Wars or Indiana Jones. You watch those and you go, "Oh, I see in this the bones of what eventually became whatever action franchise." Or Alien. [But mostly], they're just not that fun to watch.

When I was working on the "Heist" chapter, I was reading best lists of heist movies. One that kept appearing on the list was this movie called Rififi. It's in black and white. Everybody talks about how great it was. They do this really cool trick in there where there's a long stretch of just straight-up silence while they try to break into wherever. I get it. That part was cool, and I imagine, at the time, it was really fun. But you watch it today, and it's just not that great.
    God, this dude really bums me the fuck out

Who the fuck is that idiot?

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    A lot of the appeal to me of older movies is to travel back in time and try to empathize with older cultures, psyches, and values. I'm interested in understanding how we got to where we are today - like Archaeology. That reviewer believes that only the present matters.

I became a diehard fan of the MCU after Winter Soldier. I liked the other films before it, however it was that one that really got me hooked.
    BLOG

Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    Yeh this guy is a tool. Is he 14 years old?

Oh man I've been addicted to older 50s and 60s movies lately. Just went through all of the Universal Mummy movies.

I want to go back and do the same for all Universal classic horror movies.

Jaws and Alien aren't that old dude.

I admit, I'm not the biggest fan of classic cinema. Then I stumbled across Seven Samurai at 2 am one sleepless night, and assumed it would put me right to sleep. I watched the whole damn thing, gripping my coffee table. I still am not the biggest fan of classic cinema, but I have found more than enough over the years that I would never shit on any decade. Theres good in every one of them, some just may be tougher to find.

I think the stupidest concept he puts forth is the idea that there's a learning curve in filmmaking that somehow reached a peak (I guess in the '80s according to the movies he mentions?) and then it stays the same until our days.

What the hell is going on with RT’s box office top 10 list?

I haven't seen Gregory's Girl yet but I've been hearing good things about it (and Bill Forsyth's work generally) for over a decade now.
    Just because...
    The Fabelmans (Steven Spielberg, 2022) mild
    Petite maman (Céline Sciamma, 2021) mild
    The Banshees of Inisherin (Martin McDonagh, 2022) mild

The last book I read was...
    The Complete Short Stories by Mark Twain

The (New) World

The House of the Devil is a near great flick, though. I hope I like The Lighthouse more than I did The Witch.
    BLOG

Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular

Kinda missing the point, I think.

Why are they listing a decade old indie horror and a 30 year old comedy in the top box office list for the week?

Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    Kinda missing the point, I think.

Why are they listing a decade old indie horror and a 30 year old comedy in the top box office list for the week?
    No I got it, I just wanted to note how good House of the Devil is. I never saw the other one. Maybe someone in RT is playing a fun joke.
    BLOG

Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular

Producer
    How does Major League (1989) rank among baseball films? I'm looking through films that expire on Thai Netflix at the end of the month and this is one of them, so wonder if it's worth watching.
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - 8.5
    The Adventures of Robinhood (1938) - 8
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5
    Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7.5

Quote Quoting Peng (view post)
    How does Major League (1989) rank among baseball films? I'm looking through films that expire on Thai Netflix at the end of the month and this is one of them, so wonder if it's worth watching.
    I enjoy it. What's super hilarous... is pay close attention to Wesley Snipes. Apparently, he was one of the least athletic actors in the movie and all of the athletic scenes were shot trying to avoid that quality.