Page 2712 of 2880 FirstFirst ... 1712221226122662270227102711271227132714272227622812 ... LastLast
Results 67,776 to 67,800 of 71983

Thread: 28 Film Discussion Threads Later

We have space for 1 more player in the new Fantasy Movie League season starting up later this week.

In the Fantasy Movie League, you will 'draft' movies to be released in the next 6 months based on how well you think they will perform at the box office. This means you'll need to be somewhat attentive to the thread for a week or so as the draft takes place. After that, you have no further commitment unless one of your films gets bumped to a different release date.

If you are interested in playing, check out the thread in 'The Kitchen Sink' and claim the spot. We'll begin in about 2 days regardless.
    Coming to America (Landis, 1988) **
    The Beach Bum (Korine, 2019) *1/2
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Fugue (Smoczynska, 2018) ***1/2
    Prisoners (Villeneuve, 2013) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Oslo, August 31st (J. Trier, 2011) ****
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2
    Fighting With My Family (Merchant, 2019) **
    Upstream Color (Carruth, 2013) ***

I don't know if we should have a thread for actors that are surprisingly still alive and working but I just realized that Tatsuya Nakadai ("Lear" in Ran, Harakiri, Human Condition) is still alive and was in a movie last year.

Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    Cross posting for anyone who might not visit the creative collective thread. But I just released a new short film, and would love it if you all would check it out, and maybe let me know what y'all think.

No one?

I watched it when originally posted. Sorry bud, I didn't care for it. Probably just not for me though.

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    I liked it. I liked the girl. I thought the acting from the lead needs to be tightened up a bit. Maybe a few more takes would have done it. It takes a bit to get moving which also could be tightened up in the editing. And the hardest part (i think) is getting the right music that fits the tone- which I'm not too sure it does. Overall, not bad. The littlest things make all the difference. Shortening scenes e.g. we don't need to see the door close after someone walks through it. By cutting the scene down to a shot of the interior, but adding in the SFX of the door closing, would make it a much more brisk experience.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Thanks for the feedback, Duke. Gotta spread some rep around before it'll let me give you some more. The most consistent complaint I've received is in regards to the lead actor, but I dunno, he gave me precisely the performance I was looking for for this part, so I was personally 100% satisfied with what he gave me. But then, maybe I'm too close to the project to see his faults, 'cause that one's really leaving me scratching my head, lol. *shrug*

Also Skitch, thanks for watching it as well. Sorry you didn't like this one though.

I didnt have a problem with either of the actors. I felt it could've been shortened by a half tho. I hate critiquing these kind of things, as I've been intimately involved in similar projects and I swear they were no better. Keep going! Dont give a shit what anyone (especially me) says.
    Last edited by Skitch; 09-14-2018 at 06:19 AM.

Also, cheeky bottoms on the girl next time. It's 2018.

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

So if anyone's interested, I wrote a new blog looking into some of the background behind my latest short film Sianostra, and also discussing my return to filmmaking: http://cwiddop.blogspot.com/2018/09/...ilmmaking.html

Evil mind, evil sword. Ivan Drago's Avatar
    While the theater can provide experiences from the cathartic and challenging to escapist and life-affirming, the two hours I spent watching Sálo last night were the first to make me feel like I was a prisoner in the 1966 hall. It's one of the most horrifying, disgusting, and torturous films I've ever sat through thanks to the imagery of the graphic stories told, and the harrowing immorality committed on-screen. . .and yet I can't not admire it for the artistry employed to comment on the state of Italy's government during WWII. The minimal use of music on top of the surrealist execution of its production and costume design highlight the prisoners' living nightmare and the grandiose stature of the fascist torturers. It's also worth noting that Pasolini portrays the fascist's psychology in such a way to propose they're as hateful and evil as they are because no one else in the world shares their depraved obsessions. More often than not, I wanted the film to be over more than once, but by the time it finally was, I felt the mix of being called to action to stop atrocities like this from happening, the helplessness of being unable to do so, and horror over the guards' reaction following the grievous climax. I have my doubts I'll ever see Sálo again, but despite refusing to see it for so long, now I'm glad I saw it, and I know I'll never forget it.

Also, Ennio Morricone's theme for this hasn't left my head since last night and my dark sense of humor wants it to be the song I dance to at my wedding.
    Last Five Films I've Seen (Out of 5)

The Boy, The Mole, The Fox and the Horse (Mackesy, 2022) 4.5
    Puss In Boots: The Last Wish (Crawford, 2022) 4
    Confess, Fletch (Mottola, 2022) 3.5
    M3GAN (Johnstone, 2023) 3.5
    Turning Red (Shi, 2022) 4.5
    Tokyo Story (Ozu, 1953) 5

615 Film
    Letterboxd

I watched the first 40 minutes or so of Salo. Did zero emotional for me. Dont feel bad about quitting.

Evil mind, evil sword. Ivan Drago's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    I watched the first 40 minutes or so of Salo. Did zero emotional for me. Dont feel bad about quitting.
    As you shouldn't. Nobody's kidding when they say it's a movie where your mileage may vary.
    Last Five Films I've Seen (Out of 5)

The Boy, The Mole, The Fox and the Horse (Mackesy, 2022) 4.5
    Puss In Boots: The Last Wish (Crawford, 2022) 4
    Confess, Fletch (Mottola, 2022) 3.5
    M3GAN (Johnstone, 2023) 3.5
    Turning Red (Shi, 2022) 4.5
    Tokyo Story (Ozu, 1953) 5

615 Film
    Letterboxd

Quote Quoting Ivan Drago (view post)
    As you shouldn't. Nobody's kidding when they say it's a movie where your mileage may vary.
    Man that's truth. In dispensing criticism I rarely go to the "why does this even exist" play, but this...Gummo...maybe Happiness...

Seven years ago, I watched Claire Denis' Friday Night; I found it awful and almost unwatchably boring. Today I watched it again and I felt it's pretty good. Go figure.

Quote Quoting StanleyK (view post)
    Seven years ago, I watched Claire Denis' Friday Night; I found it awful and almost unwatchably boring. Today I watched it again and I felt it's pretty good. Go figure.
    That's been happening a lot with me lately. (Rewatches that end up better than I remember them. )

I love it when my opinion changes to positive on a film.

Finally saw Interstellar.

Liked it a lot.

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)

Liked it a lot.
    Decent flick, but also just fucking beautiful. Easily my favorite-looking Nolan film.

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    That's been happening a lot with me lately. (Rewatches that end up better than I remember them. )
    That's cool. With me it's usually the other way around, unfortunately: rewatching something I loved and not liking it as much this time (which actually happened with another Denis film, Trouble Every Day).

Quote Quoting StanleyK (view post)
    Today I watched it again and I felt it's pretty good. Go figure.
    I was hoping for a repeat of that today when I rewatched Mike Leigh's Naked. Alas, I still find it fucking terrible, which is a shame since I liked High Hopes and loved Life is Sweet.

Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)

Liked it a lot.
    I love that movie, so much. I saw it at my local cheap theater. I also may have cried a few times. I am not sure when I will see it again, due to its length and my desire to go for mostly first time viewings these days.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

Killing Zoe is kind of dumb, but I still liked it anyways. Imagine the thieves from Reservoir Dogs or Heat, only they are complete idiots. Eric Stoltz was once a major film actor, and he actually carries this film pretty well. I wish they had given Julie Delpy more to do, also. I would love to visit Paris one day. I chuckled at the "Does this mean our friendship is in trouble?" line.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

Today I watched all the trailers for Oscar buzz movies according to gold derby, and I must say the year as a whole looks excruciatingly dull.

And cross posting here as well. Here's that Ninja Kat film I had mentioned before. Really pleased by how this one turned out personally, and I'd of course love if you all would check it out and let me know what you all think as well.

BBC's top 100 foreign language films

[
    ]
    Last edited by Spinal; 10-31-2018 at 11:37 PM.
    Coming to America (Landis, 1988) **
    The Beach Bum (Korine, 2019) *1/2
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Fugue (Smoczynska, 2018) ***1/2
    Prisoners (Villeneuve, 2013) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Oslo, August 31st (J. Trier, 2011) ****
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2
    Fighting With My Family (Merchant, 2019) **
    Upstream Color (Carruth, 2013) ***