Page 6 of 46 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Late Night TV Discussion Thread

Jon Favreau, Stan Lee, Michael Emmerson, Nestor Carbonell, Josh Holloway, Damon Lindelof & Carlton Cuse, Sam Rockwell and Joss Whedon were in this semi-amusing ComicCon sketch on Jimmy Fallon just a few minutes ago.

It was kind of cool/unexpected to see Fallon incorporate Whedon into the sketch. Whedon also happened to be wearing one of those Ingmar Bergman shirts that were posted around here a few weeks ago:

Shocking Seductive Spiral Thirdmango's Avatar
    I caught my first episode of Craig Ferguson the other night. It was amazing.

Too much responsibility Kurosawa Fan's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Thirdmango (view post)
    I caught my first episode of Craig Ferguson the other night. It was amazing.
    Yes he is. Unfortunately I really like what Fallon is doing, and when I'm up that late I'm torn on which one to watch. I've been going by guest, but the thing is, the guest is usually the least interesting part of their respective shows.

Quote Quoting Kurosawa Fan (view post)
    Yes he is. Unfortunately I really like what Fallon is doing, and when I'm up that late I'm torn on which one to watch. I've been going by guest, but the thing is, the guest is usually the least interesting part of their respective shows.
    Do you have a DVR? The DVR is a godsend for us since we normally go to bed early, or we have a similar conflict to what you describe.

Quote Quoting Hugh_Grant (view post)
    Do you have a DVR? The DVR is a godsend for us since we normally go to bed early, or we have a similar conflict to what you describe.
    I do, but I have this totally unwarranted paranoia that I'm going to fill it's capacity when I need to record an important episode of a series. It's ridiculous, I know. I usually watch Fallon on Hulu the next day, and watch Ferguson when I'm up. Unless 7th Floor West is on. Then I'm watching Fallon.

Yeah, I haven't given Ferguson a long enough look but I tend to stick to Fallon because I find the former is kind of really grating in his cheeky, self assured deportment. Just first impressions, though. Fallon has his ups and downs, but his skits are pretty good.

Apparently Conan is having a real dip in ratings lately. I think he even made a self-deprecating nod to this fact in one of his recent monologues. Either way, his rapport with Andy has gotten a lot better. I don't envy Andy's job as he has to be really careful about when to interject and what exactly to say... unless it's all planned out in rehearsal, which doesn't seem to be the case, that's a pretty tough task.

Also, the wax Fonz and Tom Cruise figures being rocketed out of a canon was both hilarious and disturbing. I really hope Tom Cruise has a reason to do a guest spot on the show soon so that Conan can show him what they've been doing with his likeness. I wonder if he already knows about it.

The wax statues have been gold. I'm surprised they're still on the show.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    The wax statues have been gold. I'm surprised they're still on the show.
    Not since they became canon fodder, though... right?

Gordon Ramsay's appearance on Conan last night was hilarious.

"I'm not your bitch!" :lol:

Did anyone see Jimmy Fallon's 100th show? Pretty solid episode, and a funny appearance by the "friend" who bet him $100 he wouldn't stay on the air that long.

Jimmy Fallon is okay but the dude is really a dick to his audience, especially when he pulls some of them down for one of his games.

Quote Quoting Amnesiac (view post)
    Jimmy Fallon is okay but the dude is really a dick to his audience, especially when he pulls some of them down for one of his games.
    You're nuts. They love it. I'd love it if I was in his audience. That's part of the reason I think his show works. Between audience participation and online content, his show makes up for his lack of quality interviews.

You're nuts. They love it. I'd love it if I was in his audience. That's part of the reason I think his show works. Between audience participation and online content, his show makes up for his lack of quality interviews.
    Yeah, it works sometimes, but sometimes he's a bit of a dick. I'm talking about the audience participation bits in particular. Some of the jokes he drops are a bit mean spirited and he has this attitude with some people that doesn't feel quite right. And sometimes his jokes just plain suck, he may not even intend for them to come across as rude or stupid, but his delivery or the choice of joke just pushes it into this strange territory. Like ragging on a guy for an effeminate cell phone and then not letting the joke go. Conan could make that work but with him, he came across like a bully for some reason. He's usually overly ingratiating with his guests but with his audience participation folks, there are bits of this strange, condescending attitude that I pick up on.

Then again, I'm basing this off of a few instances, and one I saw last night in particular.

Elijah Wood was on Conan last night as the primary guest and he's on again tonight as the second guest after John McCain. I wonder if this is just a slip up in NBC.com's schedule because otherwise that's kind of weird.

Elijah Wood was on Conan last night as the primary guest and he's on again tonight as the second guest after John McCain. I wonder if this is just a slip up in NBC.com's schedule because otherwise that's kind of weird.
    Conan has been terrible as of late. Monday's show was just awful from start to finish. He's taking a beating in the ratings (reruns of Letterman pulled in more viewers than new Conan a few weeks back), and if this quality continues I don't see him lasting very long, especially if Leno is a smash at 10. I know critics slammed Conan's Late Night at the start, but he was inexperienced back then. Now he's a household name, and for him to be doing this poorly out of the gate is pretty bad.

EDIT: As of last week, Letterman is winning in the crucial demo as well.

He's taking a beating in the ratings
    So I've heard, but I have a feeling he won't be going anywhere. One of the explanations for the ratings dip was that one of his most significant demographics lies in the college kids who stay up late and consistently watch him during the school year. I think they're hoping for a rise once that demographic returns to school. But who knows.

I hope so for his sake, because I'm a fan, but I also think the quality of the show better increase pretty quickly, or even that won't save him. The sketches are uninspired and repeated far too often, Andy just isn't that funny in his current role, and Conan seems equal parts nervous and bored in some of the more recent episodes. It's a significant decline from his days at Late Night.

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    So I've heard, but I have a feeling he won't be going anywhere. One of the explanations for the ratings dip was that one of his most significant demographics lies in the college kids who stay up late and consistently watch him during the school year. I think they're hoping for a rise once that demographic returns to school. But who knows.
    That's some of it, but I think the main reason is older viewers. Leno's stuff was accessible and easy to digest, and it skewed toward baby boomers. Now, many of them have defected to Letterman, who they're more familiar with, leaving Conan and his college target audience in the dust.

It's a drag, to be sure. O'Brien needs one of those confrontational interviews that stirs up interest - a Letterman/Madonna or Leno/Grant.

Quote Quoting Dead & Messed Up (view post)
    O'Brien needs one of those confrontational interviews that stirs up interest - a Letterman/Madonna or Leno/Grant.
    Hm. I've never heard of either of those interviews.

I can't remember who said it, but a critic rightly said that the set is working to Conan's disadvantage. It's too big, and Conan looks very lonely and sparse out there. Leno had similar problems until he revamped his set to bring the audience and the band closer to him physically.

Also, being on the Universal lot means less random drop-ins, which are always Conan's highlights, and it doesn't allow Conan to wander around and do hijinks. He steps out of his studio and it's just an empty lot, unlike the busy 30 Rock.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    Hm. I've never heard of either of those interviews.
    Odd. The former's probably Letterman's most famous interview, and the latter is generally understood as the moment when Leno surpassed Letterman permanently.

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    I can't remember who said it, but a critic rightly said that the set is working to Conan's disadvantage. It's too big, and Conan looks very lonely and sparse out there. Leno had similar problems until he revamped his set to bring the audience and the band closer to him physically.
    This could be true, I guess, but something tells me that this might not matter at all to most folks. I don't care, at least.

Quote Quoting Dead & Messed Up (view post)
    Odd. The former's probably Letterman's most famous interview, and the latter is generally understood as the moment when Leno surpassed Letterman permanently.
    Is it that odd, though? I honestly had no clue about either. I'll check them out, I guess. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that I'm not that big of a late night talk show watcher/buff with the exception of Conan. In fact, I've never really watched anyone besides Conan except for a bit of Leno occasionally while waiting for Conan.

This could be true, I guess, but something tells me that this might not matter at all to most folks. I don't care, at least.
    It's not about the look. It's about atmosphere. When you're closer to your audience and your peers, you'd feel more comfortable. Conan might be looser and less nervous if he's not standing in a wide space by himself.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    Conan might be looser and less nervous if he's not standing in a wide space by himself.
    Personally, I haven't really noticed a change in his deportment. Maybe when it comes to his exchanges with Andy but otherwise, no. And if he is nervous, I would find it kind of weird that it would be because of proximity issues of all reasons and not the ratings, the pressure, the content restrictions, poor writing, etc... but then again, I'm not on that stage every night.

Page 6 of 46 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast