Page 42 of 46 FirstFirst ... 324041424344 ... LastLast
Results 1,026 to 1,050 of 1140

Thread: Late Night TV Discussion Thread

In the belly of a whale Henry Gale's Avatar
    The fact that tonight's Colbert had Kimmel, Guillermo del Toro and his Crimson Peak cast, AND Beach House... It's like their booker hacked into my subconscious and went, "Hmm, okay let's go with that this guy wants most right now."
    Last 11 things I really enjoyed:

Speed Racer (Wachowski/Wachowski, 2008)
    Safe (Haynes, 1995)
    South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut (Parker, 1999)
    Beastie Boys Story (Jonze, 2020)
    Bad Trip (Sakurai, 2020)
    What's Up Doc? (Bogdanovich, 1972)
    Diva (Beineix, 1981)
    Delicatessen (Caro/Jeunet, 1991)
    The Hunger (Scott, 1983)
    Pineapple Express (Green, 2008)
    Chungking Express (Wong, 1994)

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Adam Driver was GREAT.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    Yeah, watching the episode now after enjoying the Kylo Ren and Golden Globes sketches.

And wow, an opening political skit that didn't make me want to hate Lorne Michaels.

Even the football sketch was really funny. Those are usually the worst.

I knew the Kylo Ren sketch was the one that would go viral, but it's really far from the funniest of the episode.
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Yeh it was.

There have been a lot of really funny sketches this season, but they're usually for the writing/premise, as the comedy style of the show in the last few years has kind of shifted more to situational comedy and parodies, rather than creating those memorable funny characters.

But Kevin Roberts. Kevin Roberts is an original character that I will remember for a long time.
    Movie Theater Diary

Anyone watch any Full Frontal ?

I've been enjoying Seth Meyers more and more lately and I didn't even realize that he's been getting rave reviews from various publications in the past year. Here's a really good recap that nails it, I think. He's actually been doing what Colbert promised to do with his show.
    Movie Theater Diary

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    Anyone watch any Full Frontal ?
    I watched the first episode and it was fucking fantastic.

Quote Quoting amberlita (view post)
    I watched the first episode and it was fucking fantastic.
    And now I've watched episode 2 and am fully enamored. Sooo good. Suffering just a smidge from being off the air during some big stories (Syrian refugees) and playing catchup, but it's still so solidly funny and clever I'm over the moon.

You sicken me Texas.

That's by far one of the weakest segments from Last Week Tonight so far... disappointing.

Whoa, Ariana Grande's impression of Jennifer Lawrence is awfully good.

Coming to America (Landis, 1988) **
    The Beach Bum (Korine, 2019) *1/2
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Fugue (Smoczynska, 2018) ***1/2
    Prisoners (Villeneuve, 2013) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Oslo, August 31st (J. Trier, 2011) ****
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2
    Fighting With My Family (Merchant, 2019) **
    Upstream Color (Carruth, 2013) ***

The premiere of SNL was fairly good. The cold open was probably the funniest sketch.

Given how much Larry David has been on SNL as of late, I'm hoping he'll bring some of the cast over for a guest spot or two on season 9 of Curb. McKinnon, Bennett, Mooney, Strong, Pharoah (sad to learn that he left the show), Bayer…there are so many cast members that would pair well with David's show.

Hopefully McKinnon gets a leading role at some point.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Emily Blunt's SNL ep was hilarious. The last sketch was the only one that felt like a complete misfire.

Highlights and thoughts:

- The political cold opens have been great this season. Some of the best parts: the Jaws bit, another jest about Hillary's "trumped-up trickle-down economics" line, and the excellent use of Che's ability to adopt a deeply unimpressed expression. Great.

- Chonk.

- The Q&A part of the short film sketch was a little less funny than the film itself, but still good. I loved the title ("Qua") and that reach for profundity by having Blunt face her pursuer and discover herself.

- "Melanianade" was well put together. Blunt's impression of Ivanka was pretty amazing. I also like how they hilariously brought Pence in near the end with that shot of him sneaking out the back door.

- The sketch about the self-examining sink was terrific.

- They missed an opportunity to have Kevin Roberts to return in the drive-thru sketch, but it was still quite funny nonetheless. I have no clue how Kenan was able to keep a straight face through his bit.

- My favourite sketch was definitely "Honda Robots" because those voices were irresistibly funny to me, especially when directed toward plying people with unwanted "crunchy, mini, yummy quesadillas" and "mac & cheese balls." Blunt repeating her questions while standing straight-faced and inches from McKinnon probably elicited more laughter from me than any other moment in the episode.
    Last edited by Gittes; 10-17-2016 at 04:31 PM.

Quote Quoting Gittes (view post)
    - They missed an opportunity to have Kevin Roberts to return in the drive-thru sketch

I WAS SO DISAPPOINTED.
    Movie Theater Diary

Haha. Surely, it must have crossed somebody's mind while they were developing the sketch. I think filming is already underway for Curb, so maybe that's why he couldn't show up? I don't know.

My favourite moment from that sketch was probably the idea of Villaseñor's manager character showing up at the end and chiming in with her own "what up?!" Her expression there was so great.

Oh and this one:

In the belly of a whale Henry Gale's Avatar
    You know, in season that's already delivered four shows that were all very good, this might've been the best one yet. (Even if it had the least remarkable of the Baldwin / McKinnon cold opens.)

I know they don't seem to do those "The Best of _____" things anymore and Hanks already has one, but if they still did, those two sketches above and the David S. Pumpkins one are the things would be locks for Hanks Vol. 2.

Also loved the one for CBS's Emmy-bait show. "Because it's 30 minutes, it's a comedy!"
    Last 11 things I really enjoyed:

Speed Racer (Wachowski/Wachowski, 2008)
    Safe (Haynes, 1995)
    South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut (Parker, 1999)
    Beastie Boys Story (Jonze, 2020)
    Bad Trip (Sakurai, 2020)
    What's Up Doc? (Bogdanovich, 1972)
    Diva (Beineix, 1981)
    Delicatessen (Caro/Jeunet, 1991)
    The Hunger (Scott, 1983)
    Pineapple Express (Green, 2008)
    Chungking Express (Wong, 1994)

David Pumpkins was basically a Halloween re-write of Kevin Roberts, but I certainly didn't mind. Especially when Hanks puts in a performance like that.
    Coming to America (Landis, 1988) **
    The Beach Bum (Korine, 2019) *1/2
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Fugue (Smoczynska, 2018) ***1/2
    Prisoners (Villeneuve, 2013) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Oslo, August 31st (J. Trier, 2011) ****
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2
    Fighting With My Family (Merchant, 2019) **
    Upstream Color (Carruth, 2013) ***

Page 42 of 46 FirstFirst ... 324041424344 ... LastLast