Page 4 of 46 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Late Night TV Discussion Thread

I'm very dubious of the idea of Craig with a band or a sidekick or a stable of actors or interaction with the audience or fancy lighting effects. He's made his limitations work for him. Of course, the show can evolve in time, but I hope it never forces a makeover of itself. It's unique, it's comfortable, it's inviting.

It's like the only show on television I watch.

Steven Wright just kind of showed up for Craig's email segment tonight. It was awesome.

Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

I saw this when it aired. Craig's really turning his two-minute pre-show segment into something special.

I'm catching up with Ferguson on Youtube, 'cause I never had the chance to watch him live. I'm really starting to like his schtick. Very original and funny. I can see why you guys dig him so much.

Too much responsibility Kurosawa Fan's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Sycophant (view post)
    I saw this when it aired. Craig's really turning his two-minute pre-show segment into something special.
    Did you stick around for Simon Cowell? One of the funniest interviews Craig has ever done.

Yeah, it was one of his best interviews, which is saying a lot considering he does the best interviews on network late night.

My first actual exposure to Simon Cowell, too!

My first actual exposure to Simon Cowell, too!
    I actually watched the Cribs episode with him.:crazy:

I just watched Jon Stewart's unedited interview with Cliff May on Hulu. Epic.
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

It begins tonight....

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

They're gonna need to figure out what to do with Andy Richter.

They're gonna need to figure out what to do with Andy Richter.
    I don't think that will be a problem.

His presence last night was really weird, though. He looked awkward behind the podium, that his laughs were so prominent in the audio during the monologue was unfortunate, and his banter with Conan felt odd. I expect they'll eventually get this figured out, but I don't think they have yet.

I don't like that he took Max's job.
    Movie Theater Diary

Good point. When I'd heard Andy had taken the role of announcer, I figured he'd slip more into Joel's role. I prefer the Conan-Max banter to what I saw last night. Gonna be watching this show rather intently over the next few weeks, though, to see where this ends up.

Still funnier than Leno for sure. It'll be a mix-up between Letterman and Conan for a while. yesterday, Letterman had a stellar show with Cosby, but I had to see what Conan was doing the first time.

Good thing for hulu and youtube!

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

I'm not with you guys on leaving Max out of things. I like Max, don't get me wrong, he had some very funny moments, but Richter was fantastic as Conan's sidekick, and if he's on his way to reprising that role, it'll be a welcome change as far as I'm concerned.

Quote Quoting Kurosawa Fan (view post)
    I'm not with you guys on leaving Max out of things. I like Max, don't get me wrong, he had some very funny moments, but Richter was fantastic as Conan's sidekick, and if he's on his way to reprising that role, it'll be a welcome change as far as I'm concerned.
    The Choco Taco bit, for example, was one of the highlights from yesterday.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Admittedly, I didn't watch Conan back in the Richter sidekick days, so I don't really know what might be regained here. We'll see where it goes.

Quote Quoting Kurosawa Fan (view post)
    Can't it be both? It's just that Conan's banter with Max and the band is so unique for talk shows. Most other shows do the sidekick bit like Conan and Richter were doing, but I've always loved how Conan's shtick was that Max is a sexual predator who he happens to hire and has to keep in line. Max is a great sport about it and it's just way funnier. I don't have a problem with Richter being the primary sidekick that Conan looks over to when he makes jokes. I was just disappointed that Max didn't get to speak even one line last night, and I'm hoping to see that remedied.
    Movie Theater Diary

Never said it couldn't be both. But if they're choosing one or the other, they're making the right choice going with Richter.

I don't much care for the new set. And I really don't care for all the alternate angles on the monologue that make Conan look like the only person in a football field.

Tonight's episode was funny enough, but it just feels weird that with Conan in the new time slot. I'm hoping he adjusts as time goes on like he originally did, but right now I'll just take the good (some funny moments, and some solid jokes) with the bad (the set does look strange, and he seems to have changed his act a bit because he's at an earlier time).

I like Ritcher as much as I like Max, so I don't really mind if its one of them as long as one or the other is on the show.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

What about his act is so much different?

No masturbating bear just yet, but otherwise it seems about the same.

Loving it so far. Gonna keep on watching.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Oh, yeah. I'm enjoying it.

Page 4 of 46 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast