Page 3 of 46 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Late Night TV Discussion Thread

Dave is more likable and often has more entertaining moments, but Conan is funnier. I usually watch both when I'm actually up watching late night TV.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

SO WHAT WILL HAPPEN TO YOU IN JUNE?

I DVR.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

So, I'm watching Craig Ferguson dedicate the majority of his show to an interview with Desmond Tutu. It's quite something.

Too much responsibility Kurosawa Fan's Avatar
    So I decided while I'm home from work I'd check out the Jimmy Fallon show on Hulu. I went with the second episode because I'm in love with Tina Fey. Fallon literally spent the entire interview laughing like a little girl. It was terrible. If this is what he has to offer on a nightly basis... no thank you.

Thanks to SNL I wisely knew to stay far, far away from Fallon's new gig as a late night show host. Dude is just awful and not very funny.
    BLOG

Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular

MadMan, you didn't answer my question. :sad: :cry: :sad:

It breaks my heart that Fallon has The Roots. Why guys, why.
    The Princess and the Pilot - B-
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

Quote Quoting Qrazy (view post)
    It breaks my heart that Fallon has The Roots. Why guys, why.
    Indeed.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting Sycophant (view post)
    MadMan, you didn't answer my question. :sad: :cry: :sad:
    Oops, sorry.

SO WHAT WILL HAPPEN TO YOU IN JUNE?
    What's happening in June? Is Dave going away or something? Conan taking a break? I don't watch late night TV enough to be aware of what goes down.
    BLOG

Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular

Conan's already left Late Night, leaving it to Jimmy Fallon. Conan will be taking over the Tonight Show and Jay Leno will be moving to primetime in June. Conan and Dave will be up against each other in their time slots.

Conan's already left Late Night, leaving it to Jimmy Fallon. Conan will be taking over the Tonight Show and Jay Leno will be moving to primetime in June. Conan and Dave will be up against each other in their time slots.
    I'll just flip back and forth, of course.
    BLOG

Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular

Dude, Stewart fucking pwned Cramer.
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    This entire thing's been pretty incredible. I watched the full, uncensored interview on TheDailyShow.com before I caught the television edit. Cramer actually comes off a bit better in the TV edit, as he doesn't stammer and excuse himself as much. Really awkward how he sounds like he's bargaining with God at times.

Stewart totally motherfucking nailed it. And he does this all without screaming, cable news.

Too much responsibility Kurosawa Fan's Avatar
    Yeah, I just watched it this morning on Hulu, and Cramer had nothing to offer other than contrition and promises of change in the future. Seems odd for a guy that was prepared to be combative, judging by his response to the initial criticism Stewart and crew lobbed at CNBC. Then again, when you start off an interview by catching a guy in a bold-faced lie, with video evidence to back it up, there really aren't any other tactics to fall back on.

In the unedited version, Stewart calls Scarborough "Doucheborough."

First Crossfire, now this. Stewart is now more relevent than all of cable news combined.
    BLOG

Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular

I still don't completely believe Cramer should be made the devil he's being portrayed as here, and as Stewart said in the beginning og the interview, it is kind of unfortunate that he is being made the poster boy for bad journalism (and of course CNN is all horny to put down CNBC in hyping up this Cramer/Stewart "feud"). Look, the guy does an opinion-based show where he throws rubber toys around. He lampoons his own silliness by associating the show in Arrested Development and Iron Man. It's the stock market, it's a dangerous game, but it is a game, contrary to what Stewart said. If you trust Cramer complicitly in your finances, you may as well take Dr. Phil's methods to heart when raising your kids. I understand that the problem is that there are people who take these TV personalities seriously and they're exploiting ordinary folks, but this is nothing new. I think the only reason this is even a big deal is because people are losing their homes after disastrous financial decisions. In Cramer's defense, he went around talk shows late last year telling people they should take their money out and not play the stock market for the next five years because it's so dangerous right now. But people should have known this anyway.

But meh, whatever. I'm no economist. Some of these things are beyond my grasp.
    Movie Theater Diary

I'll happily give Cramer props for taking the mantle of this thing here and being so contrite about it, as he's symbolically taking upon himself the sins of his entire network and even the entire financial industry.

Also, Barry Gordon could voice Jim Cramer.

Disagree. Sure, Cramer was over-contrite, but Stewart was using his advantageous position as host as a means to monologue smugly that, while making cogent points here and there, left a sour, sour taste in my mouth. Best example: the "wealth = work" stuff. A complete non-point (in the context of the argument) that he threw out there seemingly entirely as a means to get a few hollers from his crowd (the bulk of which I can practically guarantee did not relate to much of what was being talked about, being young, relatively asset-free non-home owners who have no reason to watch CNBC). Cramer's ability to gracefully (attitude-wise, not articulate-wise) roll with Stewart's punches was far more impressive than Stewart's ability to play to his fans.

I think I'm almost ready to give up on The Daily Show for good. These days Stewart does a lot of the to camera mugging and audience pandering things but not that much of the being funny thing.

There are far too few correspondent pieces. Needs more Hodgman and Olliver.

So my roommate is a big Keith Olbermann fan, right, and so he was watching him yesterday and I got curious as to why Olbermann, a wannabe comedian who usually has a hard-on for SNL and The Daily Show, doesn't talk about the Stewart/Cramer thing at all.

Here's the answer. (referring to the last paragraph)
    Movie Theater Diary

I'll happily give Cramer props for taking the mantle of this thing here and being so contrite about it, as he's symbolically taking upon himself the sins of his entire network and even the entire financial industry.

Also, Barry Gordon could voice Jim Cramer.
    People like scapegoats, I guess.
    BLOG

Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular

This is Craig Ferguson's lineup for this week:

Mo 3/30: William Shatner, Regina King
    Tu 3/31: Isabella Rossellini, Linda Cardellini
    We 4/1: Jennifer Tilly, Heidi Newfield
    Th 4/2: Brittany Murphy, Christopher Gorham
    Fr 4/3: Zooey Deschanel, Lance Krall
    This should be a good week.

This is such a good resource.

In the belly of a whale Henry Gale's Avatar
    Tonight was definitely Fallon's best night so far. Hader was insanely funny (especially at the end of Emma Roberts' segment) and the show just feels a lot more comfortable with itself than it did in the first couple of weeks. Even if Fallon himself is still awkward and fidgety, he's starting to find a way to play that into the momentum of the show rather than allowing it to become a crutch for it.

Also, it looks like Jimmy Kimmel is going HD on April 14th leaving Ferguson as the ugly outsider of the late night bunch once again (despite him having the tendency to win his timeslot a fair amount of the time). I'm surprised CBS still hasn't bothered to give him anything resembling a budget yet, but then again, it is a large part of the show's charm.
    Last 11 things I really enjoyed:

Speed Racer (Wachowski/Wachowski, 2008)
    Safe (Haynes, 1995)
    South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut (Parker, 1999)
    Beastie Boys Story (Jonze, 2020)
    Bad Trip (Sakurai, 2020)
    What's Up Doc? (Bogdanovich, 1972)
    Diva (Beineix, 1981)
    Delicatessen (Caro/Jeunet, 1991)
    The Hunger (Scott, 1983)
    Pineapple Express (Green, 2008)
    Chungking Express (Wong, 1994)

Page 3 of 46 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast