Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Sven listens to hundreds of albums

Quote Quoting Russ (view post)
    :sad:
    I know! It totally seems like my thing, but it killed me.

Quote Quoting Sven (view post)
    I know! It totally seems like my thing, but it killed me.
    Well, to be fair, this one was probably a lot more impressive at the time of its release (1978, when I first bought and loved it), than in any year hence (which, I'm assuming is when you caught up with it). In its time, it really was a classic: from the genre-warping aesthetics of Satisfaction to the too-cool for rock/to weird for punk lo-fi sensibilities of Mongoloid and Jocko Homo; however, they divided critical lines, even back then. So, glad to hear you at least made the effort.

If you don't like "Mongoloid", I'm not your friend and I won't read your thread(s).

nightmare investigator monolith94's Avatar
    Day 14. Devo - Q: Are We Not Men? A: We Are Devo!

Hated it! Combine XTC and The Cars, strip away lyrical wit and musical complexity, add an unbearably heavy dollop of sassy syllabling and repetitive riffs, licks, and numbers and you've got one of the more irritating albums I've listened to yet. If we are to be entirely open in our disclosure, I will concede that Space Junk has some nifty production, but that's pretty much the extent of my appreciation for this.

*1/2
    Bah, I'm listening to "Uncontrollable Urge" right now in incensed reaction to this! Fie!
    "Modern weapons can defend freedom, civilization, and life only by annihilating them. Security in military language means the ability to do away with the Earth."
    -Ivan Illich, Deschooling Society

Quote Quoting Boner M (view post)
    If you don't like "Mongoloid", I'm not your friend and I won't read your thread(s).
    You'll come. If I write it, you'll be there.

You'll come. If I write it, you'll be there.
    Cool that you like "Mongoloid"!

Cool that you like "Mongoloid"!
    You!

Day 15. Duran Duran - Red Carpet Massacre

Yeah, I've heard it before, but it's fuckin' awesome, so I listened to it again.

Day 16. The Velvet Underground - White Light/White Heat

The first all-out masterpiece since I started this. Sister Ray, of course, is possibly the greatest song ever produced. The title track is an excellent propulsive burn. I Heard Her Call My Name is crazy genius, with the kind of guitar solo that you can't figure out how they pulled off. The instrumentation on The Gift is hypnotic, underscoring the most gloriously effed up story I've ever heard. The other two tracks, the faux-psychedelic Lady Godiva's Operation and Here She Comes Now, are solid. Beautifully fuzzy, communicating dissatisfaction, disengagement, and disillusionment through a haze of distilled rock'n'roll!

****, (M), a 10, or possibly a bear, if we are rating on that scale.

Yes.
    Yes.
    Yes.
    Yes.
    Yes.
    Yes.
    Right on.
    Yup.

I see we agree on all points.

Day 17. Todd Rundgren - Arena

My love the Wizard is not a secret: this guy is a True Star (and I'm totally going to see him on Saturday!!). He plays every instrument, produces himself, writes himself, he's a pop-genius, constantly redefining genre, skirting its edges with wit and talent. That said, this last album is kind of stale, relatively. The concept is "arena", but it too strongly resembles his last album, Liars, which was an instrospective electro-pop experiment. Feels like he took some cuts from that era and added some guitar solos and tinny drum loops (am I the only one that is bothered by drum loops in rock music? It's so transparent and too perfectly timed... they sound more like a metronomic digital crack than drums.). Still, despite the failure to meet the concept's potential, it is perfectly fine album on its own terms with some choice tracks, Courage being the best (classic Rundgren sound), Strike and Mountaintop being great rockers. Best of all, the album contains the lyric "This used to be a nice place/and now your dick is in the mayonnaise". Brilliant.

Wow, that might be the worst cover I've ever seen. Still need to check out some Rundgren tho (I know, know...).

I actually listened to WL/WH for the first time in a while yesterday. Your review is spot-on. I think that album is where everything I like about rock music stems from.

Wow, that might be the worst cover I've ever seen. Still need to check out some Rundgren tho (I know, know...).
    Listen to Something/Anything first and work your way around that album. Then venture into his post-Hermit of Mink Hollow era. Weird stuff. His work with Utopia rocks and I'll always love him, no matter what, for what he did with Meat Loaf in Bat Out of Hell. Then, you're on your own. He gets pretty inexplicable sometimes.

Day 18. Minutemen - Double Nickels on the Dime

There isn't a bad cut on the album, but the sheer volume of songs ultimately kills the album as a whole, rendering it useful only as a vehicle for singles. Under the weight of 43 tracks, each similarly produced track threatens to become unmemorable, which makes the album a difficult listen (compare to 69 Love Songs, which features a wealth of approaches). My recommendation: slip one or two of these songs into a mix. Familiarize yourself with them. Repeat.

sum - ***, parts - ***1/2

Day 18. Minutemen - Double Nickels on the Dime

There isn't a bad cut on the album, but the sheer volume of songs ultimately kills the album as a whole, rendering it useful only as a vehicle for singles. Under the weight of 43 tracks, each similarly produced track threatens to become unmemorable, which makes the album a difficult listen (compare to 69 Love Songs, which features a wealth of approaches). My recommendation: slip one or two of these songs into a mix. Familiarize yourself with them. Repeat.

sum - ***, parts - ***1/2
    I agree. I still haven't listened to the whole thing, but I like just about every song on the album. It's just too much, and my interest starts to wane. Could have been split into 2 or 3 AMAZING albums.

Quote Quoting Daniel Davis (view post)
    I agree. I still haven't listened to the whole thing, but I like just about every song on the album. It's just too much, and my interest starts to wane. Could have been split into 2 or 3 AMAZING albums.
    Yes!

I should say, still haven't listened to the whole thing in one sitting.

I bounce around a lot to my favorite tracks, or listen to it broken up into smaller chunks.

I think the style of the music just suits smaller albums.

Quote Quoting Daniel Davis (view post)
    I think the style of the music just suits smaller albums.
    Well, it is broken up into four sub-sections (one for each member of the band + one leftover) that are supposed to be more unified than the album as a whole. I buy that.

Day 19. Sister Sledge - We Are Family

A disco masterwork. I admit that the 8 minute long title track is a bit long, but hey... suck it. Whoever invented that cool tukkatukkatukka disco guitar sound is a goddamn hero.

***1/2 normally, **** (M) when listening to it while snorting coke off the breasts of a rollergirl during an orgy

have you listened to any of arthur russell's disco work? kiss me again (under the dinosaur moniker) and is it all over my face (loose joints) are some of my favorit songs ever

Day 20. Todd Rundgren Live at the Tarrytown Music Hall

I didn't have time to post this yesterday because we didn't get back until way late, but instead of an album, I went to see Rundgren and it. Was. Dynamite. Seriously one of the best concerts to which I've ever been. Really highlighted were his compositional genius, his proficiency at instrumentation, the virtuosity of his voice, and the strength of the songwriting in his last album, Arena. They really did that album justice: it was much better live. Anyway, it's always great to see musicians who were important to my development in a live setting. Genius.

Quote Quoting Acapelli (view post)
    have you listened to any of arthur russell's disco work? kiss me again (under the dinosaur moniker) and is it all over my face (loose joints) are some of my favorit songs ever
    I've only sampled his stuff and have never been impressed. I will seek these out, though.

For the none of you keeping close dibs on the list, you'll notice that I missed a day. It's okay. I foresaw it. Hence "365-ish".

Day 21. Georgio Moroder - From Here To Eternity

The last song is so flipping cool that it's a shame that by the time I got to it (only 25 minutes from the start) I was kind of synthed out. Still, lots of respect for Moroder, even if I think it gets a touch monotonouse (the first four tracks utilize practically the same beat). The last half fares better, but the last track soars.

from here to eternity is a favorite of mine (the song and the album)

Day 22. The Black Keys - The Big Come Up

Can't think of a single bad thing to say: this is some great electric blues. Particularly love the Beatles cover, She Said She Said. I'd like to hear from anyone with an issue--what's to hate? I love that they aren't trying to situate themselves... there is no posturing. This is the real stuff.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast