Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Doubt (Hoffman, Streep, Adams)

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    Yeah? I thought the first half of the movie was pretty hilarious. I was pretty much laughing at almost every scene Meryl Streep was in. Also, that smash cut from the priests' dinner table to the nuns' was gold. I think my entire theater cracked up at that.

But yeah, all the dutch angles in the film are pretty asinine and random.
    Saw that in the previews and was curious about it.

John Adams managed to get away with it.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Oh God, I finally saw a trailer for this last night. It looks hysterical and so different from the production I saw that I just can't believe it.

needs therapy, maybe. NickGlass's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Sycophant (view post)
    Oh God, I finally saw a trailer for this last night. It looks hysterical and so different from the production I saw that I just can't believe it.
    I wish it were more hysterical than it is (because it's not).

http://thelmagazine.com/6/35/Film/film7.cfm?ctype=2
    I'm writing for Slant Magazine now, so check out my list of reviews.

Hopefully I'll have the energy to update my signature soon.

Movin' up, eh Nick?

needs therapy, maybe. NickGlass's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Boner M (view post)
    Movin' up, eh Nick?
    Next step: getting paid.

(Which I did at The Boston Phoenix, but not here!)
    I'm writing for Slant Magazine now, so check out my list of reviews.

Hopefully I'll have the energy to update my signature soon.

Evil mind, evil sword. Ivan Drago's Avatar
    Yeah? I thought the first half of the movie was pretty hilarious. I was pretty much laughing at almost every scene Meryl Streep was in. Also, that smash cut from the priests' dinner table to the nuns' was gold. I think my entire theater cracked up at that.

But yeah, all the dutch angles in the film are pretty asinine and random.
    Is the humor intentional?
    Last Five Films I've Seen (Out of 5)

The Boy, The Mole, The Fox and the Horse (Mackesy, 2022) 4.5
    Puss In Boots: The Last Wish (Crawford, 2022) 4
    Confess, Fletch (Mottola, 2022) 3.5
    M3GAN (Johnstone, 2023) 3.5
    Turning Red (Shi, 2022) 4.5
    Tokyo Story (Ozu, 1953) 5

615 Film
    Letterboxd

Montage, s'il vous plait? Raiders's Avatar
    I don't know, but this just wasn't quite as compelling as it was on stage. I think the proscenium and the limited-set format of theatre gave it more ambiguity and stressed the way everything happened behind closed doors. This allowed for there to be genuine doubt and almost a "choosing of sides" between the characters and the audience. The biggest conflict of the play is in the styles of leadership between Sister Aloysius and Father Flynn, but the film doesn't play it at the same pitch. There seems to be more guilt in Father Flynn on screen and never once does it really seem in doubt. There is also the fact that Hoffman simply isn't a charming screen presence, he's anguished and shrewd. The match between Sister Aloysius and Father Flynn never feels equal and the outcome never in doubt as Hoffman is simply too blustering and foolish to play the part. Streep deserves serious honors for her portrayal here, in particular for the final moments of the film. This version, as opposed to the more charismatic and even-handed stage play, does Streep no favors by playing her as the champ from the first moment and when she finally has to express doubt, it seems odd since the film has so easily laid out her victory. Credit Streep for even making it slightly work.

Disappointing.
    Recently Viewed:
    Thor: The Dark World (2013) **½
    The Counselor (2013) *½
    Walden (1969) ***
    A Hijacking (2012) ***½
    Before Midnight (2013) ***

Films By Year

In the end, this is one that will have audience members thinking, "That's it?" While it starts off well, and each confrontation is strong, it's the final scene that will make others question it the most, as it seems a little out of place. As Raiders mentioned, there's a clear winner pretty early on. If it were to be a little more neutral, then the end may work more. If anything, the Father could've gone more into how his career would be ruined for the fact of it even coming up, instead it's just touched on.

I love the poweracting movies, but this one just comes up a little weak compared to others. I give it three stars because it's still pretty entertaining to watch both PSH/Streep square off against each other, and the horror that is Sister Aloysius.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

I haven't seen the production but I thought the film was marvelous and the ending a believable consequence of Sister Alloysius' independence.

Quote Quoting SirNewt (view post)
    I haven't seen the production but I thought the film was marvelous and the ending a believable consequence of Sister Alloysius' independence.
    Could you expound on this at all? My issue is that the film (and that fact that Streep is 100x more convincing than Hoffman) skews everything in her favor, but then pulls a 180 in those final moments in order to have its cake and eat it too. How can I empathize with genuine doubt when the film has all but left me with none?
    Recently Viewed:
    The Counselor (2013) *½
    Walden (1969) ***
    A Hijacking (2012) ***½

Films By Year

Harry Knowles' review has a... bizarre... ending.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/39597
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Harry Knowles' review has a... bizarre... ending.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/39597
    That's Harry for ya.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting Raiders (view post)
    Could you expound on this at all? My issue is that the film (and that fact that Streep is 100x more convincing than Hoffman) skews everything in her favor, but then pulls a 180 in those final moments in order to have its cake and eat it too. How can I empathize with genuine doubt when the film has all but left me with none?
    Alloysius steps outside the catholic process prescribed by her faith and even sins (lies) to catch Flynn. These two things made me believe in her lack of faith in Providence, and perhaps in her Catholic faith entirely.

Well, I think the ending has more to do with Sister Aloysius' own molested past than her recent actions, really.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

The ending is trying to use "doubts" to potentially cover a ton of things, but none of them feel very convincing, least of which her doubt over her decision or her faith in God.
    Recently Viewed:
    The Counselor (2013) *½
    Walden (1969) ***
    A Hijacking (2012) ***½

Films By Year

Too much responsibility Kurosawa Fan's Avatar
    My wife and I saw this tonight. I am in complete agreement with Raiders on every point mentioned. It would be pointless to post anything other than that. I will say that this is one of those rare occasions when every performance that's been gushed about actually lived up to the hype. The lone exception might be Hoffman, but I never heard people raving about him, he just seemed to fall into a nomination. But Streep, Adams, and Davis were all amazing; Davis especially so since she had so little screen time.

EDIT: I should mention that I haven't seen the play. That's one thing that I don't have in common with Raiders review.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12