Page 13 of 36 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: The Google/Android Discussion Thread

- - - - -
    Damn, they did a really nice freakin' job on the interface. Too bad there's nothing to read.

Not sure if I'm going to keep following certain folks who use "social media" to repost their site's content or sell their small business. I get so tired of that shit on twitter and facebook.

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    Damn, they did a really nice freakin' job on the interface. Too bad there's nothing to read.

Not sure if I'm going to keep following certain folks who use "social media" to repost their site's content or sell their small business. I get so tired of that shit on twitter and facebook.
    I'm not sure how I'm going to get by without being informed by 15 posts in a row that someone just unlocked a donkey on Farmville.
    Last 5 Viewed
    Riddick (David Twohy | 2013 | USA/UK)
    Night Across the Street (Raoul Ruiz | 2012 | Chile/France)*
    Pain & Gain (Michael Bay | 2013 | USA)*
    You're Next (Adam Wingard | 2011 | USA)
    Little Odessa (James Gray | 1994 | USA)*

*recommended *highly recommended

“It isn't easy to accept that suffering can also be beautiful... it's difficult. It's something you can only understand if you dig deeply into yourself.” -- Rainer Werner Fassbinder

twitter | next projection | criticker | frames within frames

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting Brightside (view post)
    I'm not sure how I'm going to get by without being informed by 15 posts in a row that someone just unlocked a donkey on Farmville.
    Oh man my brother-in-law is waaaaaay into that shit. I quickly learned to block that app.

I'm sure the same kind of thing will happen on G+ once they open up a developer api.

- - - - -
    I'm just gonna keep reloading the feeds page until somebody posts something. :cry:

I'm just gonna keep reloading the feeds page until somebody posts something. :cry:
    That might be the saddest thing I've heard all day and I've been listening to Holocaust survivors contemplate suicide all day.
    Last 5 Viewed

“It isn't easy to accept that suffering can also be beautiful... it's difficult. It's something you can only understand if you dig deeply into yourself.” -- Rainer Werner Fassbinder

- - - - -
    :lol:

Why don't YOU post something, motherfucker?

I'm getting kind of annoyed by the people criticizing Google+ because their friends aren't on it. Facebook is littered by these sentiments.

That's your job, stupid.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

I'm assuming this Mike character that added me is a Michigander. K-Fan, perhaps?
    Last 5 Viewed

Quote Quoting Brightside (view post)
    I'm assuming this Mike character that added me is a Michigander. K-Fan, perhaps?
    Yes.

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting [ETM] (view post)
    Why don't YOU post something, motherfucker?
    :lol:

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    I'm getting kind of annoyed by the people criticizing Google+ because their friends aren't on it. Facebook is littered by these sentiments.

That's your job, stupid.
    I invited some people last night, but they're going to run into the same problem. "Hey, this is cool. What else can I do here?"

At least if you're on twitter with limited friends, you can still get something out of it by following celebs or news sites.

But asynchronous following doesn't work when more than half the people on the system are keeping their posts private.

It's a great site, but right now it feels like I showed up for a party 3 hours early.

Well, wait three hours then. So far, this has been a much faster transition process than when people switched from Friendster to Facebook.
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

- - - - -
    Well, wait three hours then.
    Because that's always fun?

What do you expect to do when the key people in any given social circle never show up at the party? Continue to stick around?

You become the key people.
    Movie Theater Diary

Because that's always fun?

What do you expect to do when the key people in any given social circle never show up at the party? Continue to stick around?
    It's in the beta stage for what it's worth. Otherwise, my posts indicated the same things you're complaining about. Just waiting for Google to release something that will separate it from facebook.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

- - - - -
    You become the key people.
    Except that social networks, online or offline, don't work that way.

If I show up for a party early and my girlfriend doesn't, my becoming "key" won't make up for her absence.

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    It's in the beta stage for what it's worth. Otherwise, my posts indicated the same things you're complaining about. Just waiting for Google to release something that will separate it from facebook.
    Fair enough. Whether G+ can compete on feature parity is almost irrelevant. What they're really fighting is the network effect and a certain kind of social media exhaustion.

Given its structure, and despite the usability of "circles," I wouldn't be surprised if G+ became siloed. Meaning, people use the service for one specific purpose (Facebook is for family, G+ is for professional, twitter is for immediacy).

Because otherwise, I can't see anyone fully engaging with 3 services at the same time, or looking at them as if its a zero sum game.

The smartest thing Facebook ever did was implement a Newsfeed. The initial social media sites failed primarily because they didn't have the network capacity. But they also failed because once you stalked all of your friends profiles, there wasn't a whole lot to do with them. You had a reason to leave after the novelty wore off because you had to put in a lot of legwork to find new content. Facebook's reliable network structure and the way it is able bombard its users with continuing stream of new content is probably going to stop it from losing market share anytime soon. I imagine G+ might be able to find a niche somewhere, and maybe that's all Google really expects it to do.

Over 10 million users in just two weeks. It's expected to double by the end of this week.

It's the fastest growing social media site ever.
    Movie Theater Diary

Montage, s'il vous plait? Raiders's Avatar
    Over 10 million users in just two weeks. It's expected to double by the end of this week.

In fairness, online social media is a lot more prevalent now than it was even when Facebook opened up. It is so ingrained in us now that it isn't likely to phase anyone to sign up for another one. Whether they stick with it or just have empty shell profiles and keep using Facebook is the real question.
    Recently Viewed:
    Thor: The Dark World (2013) **½
    The Counselor (2013) *½
    Walden (1969) ***
    A Hijacking (2012) ***½
    Before Midnight (2013) ***

Films By Year

I'll be interested in seeing what their retention rate winds up being after a few months.
    Losing is like fertilizer: it stinks for a while, then you get used to it. (Tony, Hibbing)

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting bac0n (view post)
    I'll be interested in seeing what their retention rate winds up being after a few months.
    You'll never see those numbers. Google will eventually consider anyone who logs into their umbrella services as an active member, as long as they have a profile.

Much the same way Facebook counts an "active" user as someone who clicks "like" on a webpage or leaves a comment, regardless of whether they ever actually visit facebook.com.

I'm really digging Android.
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

Alone again, naturally eternity's Avatar
    Every "good" thing I hear about Google+ seems the exact opposite to me. The interface is crap, there's nothing special about it that Facebook doesn't already do better, and it's UGLY.

Quote Quoting eternity (view post)
    Every "good" thing I hear about Google+ seems the exact opposite to me. The interface is crap, there's nothing special about it that Facebook doesn't already do better, and it's UGLY.
    Yeah, but it's cool because it's Google and not Facebook.

You're still on Facebook? I use Google+.

Anyhow, I'm going back to IRC.

Page 13 of 36 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast