Page 1 of 36 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The Google/Android Discussion Thread

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar

The Google/Android Discussion Thread

It's amazing... try it quick!

http://www.google.com/chrome/

Voltage!!!
    I hadn't even heard about it until now. I'll wait for some word of mouth.
    "Listen man, it might be hard to understand, but
    Don't mourn the dead,
    Celebrate the life they gave"
    - Kashmir "Seraphina"

It's my fault for being dependent on third-party software, but if it doesn't natively support Roboform, I can't use it. On a first look, it doesn't appear that it does.
    Contagion (Soderbergh, 2011) - 6.5
    The Descendants (Payne, 2011) - 7.5
    Midnight in Paris (Allen, 2011) - 5
    Margin Call (Chandor, 2011) - 6.5
    The Ides of March (Clooney, 2011) - 5

Too much responsibility Kurosawa Fan's Avatar
    Doesn't work well with my laptop's touch pad. After some investigating, it seems any Synaptics touch pad won't function properly. I can only scroll down, not up, and the scroll is way too fast. It won't read my default touch pad settings, and it can't be adjusted. Until they fix those bugs, it's useless to me.

Thumbnails for my top-visited sites? I don't think so.
    "How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

--Homer

Too much responsibility Kurosawa Fan's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Wryan (view post)
    Thumbnails for my top-visited sites? I don't think so.
    There's an Incognito mode for this.. issue.

I think I like this. I'm dubious about Firefox 3's improvements and this runs pretty smoothly. Looking forward to a bit more customizaiton as time goes on, though. It's Google. It'll ultimately be the best thing ever.

Quote Quoting Sycophant (view post)
    I think I like this. I'm dubious about Firefox 3's improvements and this runs pretty smoothly. Looking forward to a bit more customizaiton as time goes on, though. It's Google. It'll ultimately be the best thing ever.
    instead of opening up 1 processes, and filling it with RAM on your pC, it opens up a processes for each tab you have... it allows for multitasking to be MUCH faster... and you can feel it instantly...

but you guys are right, it does have a lot of bugs.

Quote Quoting Kurosawa Fan (view post)
    There's an Incognito mode for this.. issue.
    They must shop at S-MART!
    "How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

--Homer

nightmare investigator monolith94's Avatar
    Using it right now, haven't encountered anything too fuzzy.
    "Modern weapons can defend freedom, civilization, and life only by annihilating them. Security in military language means the ability to do away with the Earth."
    -Ivan Illich, Deschooling Society

It boggles my mind that anyone else would ever use anything that isn't Chrome.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Yeah, even with all the improvements, it has stayed as sleek and clutter-free as ever.

Director
    Not seeing the appeal of the new Chromebook initiative other than as a mild alternative to netbooks. No local storage and laptop form factor that can only run Chrome.

I guess because it's Google but really the amount of press this has generated is sort of baffling to me.

Quote Quoting shaun (view post)
    Not seeing the appeal of the new Chromebook initiative other than as a mild alternative to netbooks. No local storage and laptop form factor that can only run Chrome.

I guess because it's Google but really the amount of press this has generated is sort of baffling to me.
    It's an attempt to reform the market. Imagine what's going to happen to notebooks/laptops if successful?

For $300, I'll give it a go. Maybe even $500 since it's google.

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Quote Quoting [ETM] (view post)
    Yeah, even with all the improvements, it has stayed as sleek and clutter-free as ever.
    Not sure if people know, but Angry Birds is now free using the Chrome app store.

And BTW, the app store is fucking fantastic. So many useful apps.add ons for Chrome that make the internet so much easier and faster.

Director
    Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    It's an attempt to reform the market. Imagine what's going to happen to notebooks/laptops if successful?
    I don't see it as creating a new market but rather sliding into the existing netbook/tablet one that's taking over machines that are being strictly used for web content. Power users are still going to require laptops/desktops.

I still use Opera.
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

Quote Quoting shaun (view post)
    I don't see it as creating a new market but rather sliding into the existing netbook/tablet one that's taking over machines that are being strictly used for web content. Power users are still going to require laptops/desktops.
    I think your underestimating this. Think of people who want to use a tablet for web browsing, but still want that tactical keyboard built in. They're out there.

Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    I still use Opera.
    It's a good number 2 to have I suppose. ( in terms of speed)

The applications it comes with however do not come close to comparison.

I downloaded Chrome about 2 months ago and it didn't work. A blank page, and I couldn't figure out why it wasn't letting me navigate at all. I would enter a URL and it would load, but just another blank page.

So I was like "fuck this, back to Opera".

I've been using Chrome for a couple of months now. I feel like I'm back in the 90s again! It's an awesome little program.

I only have two issues with it. Can't find an auto-refresh plugin and copy and paste highlights things oddly. Also, Netflix doesn't work that great with it. I use it both on Linux and Windows XP.

Opera is still OK. Firefox is awful at the moment - I'd rather use IE than super bloated Firefox that needs to be killed every 24 hours.

Any apps that I should be aware of on Chrome?

Been using it for well over a year. The tab system and quickness outdoes all the other browsers.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

switched to chrome a few months back. nice to have something so much faster and lighter, but it's annoying that they haven't figured out how to make skipscreen or the cavern links checker (two essential extensions for the modern pirate) to work properly on it

first world problems

Just tried to download and use Chrome again for shits n giggles.

It officially does not work on my computer.

Downloaded, opened it. Nothing worked, like the first time I used it. Just had a big navy blue screen that said "Something went wrong. To learn more, click here" and when I clicked it, it just opened another navy blue window that said the same thing.

Then my computer froze and restarted automatically.

And now I cannot even open the program.

Yeah, I'll stick with Opera thank you very much.

Alone again, naturally eternity's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    It boggles my mind that anyone else would ever use anything that isn't Chrome.
    Every new tab in Chrome creates a new process that doesn't close when you close the tab, meaning that I have to keep task manager up constantly to make sure Chrome doesn't slow my computer down to a crawl. Counter-productive considering Chrome is supposed to be the swift browser.

Page 1 of 36 12311 ... LastLast