Page 36 of 36 FirstFirst ... 26343536

Thread: The Google/Android Discussion Thread

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    I was relying on Google Photos because I stopped doing this. 1) it's a pain and 2) I really want my pictures anywhere I want them. Google Photos even has a search option to look through photos where you can look for "bonfire" and it will show you all your pics with bonfires. I can't comprehend the level of software needed to make that happen.

Plus the Google Face match option is super slick. If you're looking for a specific photo of someone, you can just bring all the face matches of that person in 1 click.

If there's any subscription fee worth it, it's going to be Google Photos.

I can't imagine how many photos my wife and I have from just 5 years together. What's it going look like when it's 20 or 30?

"Hun remember that one time we took a walk down by the lake?"

*search lake*

*5 seconds later*

"oh here it is"

The absolute last thing people want to do is look through a photo album, let alone, dig through the basement of an USB drive, hook it up to a computer, and huddle around looking for that photo you are looking for. GTFO with that old school line of thinking.
    You're right. As we've seen elsewhere, there is still a fear that those photos can disappear at any moment too.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

To my knowledge, photos uploaded via pixel are exempted from the new Google policy.
    Losing is like fertilizer: it stinks for a while, then you get used to it. (Tony, Hibbing)

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Quote Quoting bac0n (view post)
    To my knowledge, photos uploaded via pixel are exempted from the new Google policy.
    They are. But only these last phones. All future phones will not be free.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Well, a big ol' poo-poo-pants on that. Reminds me, I've been meaning to buy some space on there, so I can upload all my iPhotos and finalize my divorce from Apple.
    Losing is like fertilizer: it stinks for a while, then you get used to it. (Tony, Hibbing)

Quote Quoting bac0n (view post)
    Well, a big ol' poo-poo-pants on that. Reminds me, I've been meaning to buy some space on there, so I can upload all my iPhotos and finalize my divorce from Apple.
    It gets chewed up fast.

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Bought a new phone. Wanted a sleek and bitchin phone but did not want to pay premium price. Got the Huawei p30 Pro. First edition. It looks amazing two years since its release.
    [+] closer to next rating / [-] closer to previous rating

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Fall (Mann, 2022) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Moon Knight (S1) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Get Carter (Hodges, 1971) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Prey (Trachtenberg, 2022) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Better Call Saul (S6) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Slow Horses (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • H4Z4RD (Govaerts, 2022/BE) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Gangs of London (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • We Own This City (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Thor: Love and Thunder (Waititi, 2022) ✦✦ [+]

I'm trying to decide if this is appealing or not. Less space in your pocket. Less prone to damaged screens if dropped.

Hey Duke (or anybody for that matter) - do you happen to use the Google Nest Camera for home security? Or something else?

Any thoughts or product recommendations on adding some outside monitoring/security on the house?

I have four different types of home security cameras. Nest is far and away my favorite. It's easy to use. Easy to setup. Excellent quality. The downside is you need to pay a subscription for it to be useful. I have a 4k camera above my garage in the driveway and two doorbell cameras. On Nest Reddit you'll see people complain about Nest outages, and yes they happen. But it's never really impacted me.

I also have blink- which is my least favorite. It's a shell of what nest can do, but the motion activated cameras are fun to track animals walking through my yard. They are wireless and run on battery and because they only turn on when something walks in front of it, the battery lasts quite a while. Going on six months with my last charge. The app sucks for watching live though and you nee to pay a subscription for the motion alerts after the free trial. It also needs a hub to sync to wirelessly.

I have four Wyze Outdoor cameras, which is becoming my second favorite camera. They do everything that blink does, except you DONT need a subscription to watch things live. You don't need a sub for things to show up on your motion activated cameras either, except you can only watch the video once. If you pay a sub, then they will show up in your event list and you can rewatch. Like Blink, it also needs a hub to sync to wirelessly.

Then I have my home PoE 4K cameras which storage footage on my local server.

Nest is the most expensive, but but they are clearly the most user-friendly.

Cool, thanks for the advice, useful as always.

Yeah, want to avoid subscriptions as much as I can. Ideally one time fee, and if I had to pay another cost to rewatch or save specific footage, so be it.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    Yeah, want to avoid subscriptions as much as I can. Ideally one time fee, and if I had to pay another cost to rewatch or save specific footage, so be it.
    For a one time fee you can setup your own home NAS and PoE system. Manage it all from your home, using your own network and ISP to manage it remotely.

Otherwise the subscription fee makes up for all that work and all that storage.

And you get to capture stuff like this.

This morning my phone suddenly lost all internet connectivity.

I can still send regular texts, receive calls, and use wifi to access the internet.

But without wifi on it always shows that I have no internet connection (even when I have 4 bars).

I'm running in Android.

Any suggestions?

No, it is not on airplane mode. And I have restarted the phone three times.
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

It somehow fixed itself overnight.

Weird ass Chinese budget phones.
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

Page 36 of 36 FirstFirst ... 26343536