Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Daniel and Derek Present: The Chronological Floyd

Daniel and Derek Present: The Chronological Floyd

The Chronological Floyd

I've been wanting to start a new music-based thread here for awhile, and today's sad news of Richard Wright's passing has provided me with the proper direction. Pink Floyd is, without a doubt, one of the most important bands in my musical journey. So much of the music I make and listen to has roots found in the music of Pink Floyd; their tendrils of dense sonic-mastery have manipulated, informed and shaped the very landscape of progressive rock and roll. I've always preferred longer compositions, albums over singles, lyrics that offer thought provoking imagery, and bands that make sonically interesting music; Pink Floyd did all of this, and did it better than just about any band I can think.

Pink Floyd provided the soundtrack for my high school and college days; they got me through bad times, good times, high times, and low times. They scared the hell out of me, comforted me, and opened my mind to a plethora of new ideas, both musical and otherwise.

This thread will be a chronological journey through each of their albums. Derek and I will each be choosing our favorite tracks from every Floyd album, as well as taking time for some bootleg and video tangents. There will probably be some doubling up on certain songs - that's cool - it just means that that particular track is really, really good.

My new favourite thread.

Piper at the Gates of Dawn (1968)

Nothing like a little controversy to start things off....

I am not a huge fan of Syd Barrett era Floyd. I find it troubling that there are some people out there who truly believe that Floyd's career began and ended with Barrett, a proposition that greatly discredits 4 extremely talented musicians and artistic visionaries.

I simply prefer the direction the band took after Syd's departure, and, ironically, some of their best material was written because of his departure - from the band, and from reality. Without Syd going crazy and freakin' out, we wouldn't have the artistic impetus of Dark Side of the Moon, Wish You Were Here, and The Wall to some extent.

However, I do love some Syd songs, and I even enjoy some of his solo stuff, and here, with Piper, is where his crazy journey began.

My favorite tracks from Piper:

1. Lucifer Sam - this track has an amazing groove. It sounds like some crazy spy music. I love the lead guitar line, and the rhythm section is surprisingly tight. Roger Waters is an underrated bassist, and he always was. The dude could groove like nobody's business, and on this track he shines.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8sNEedLeHY

2. Take Up Thy Stethoscope and Walk - chaotic psychedelic rock at its best. The song is frantic, schizophrenic, and totally of its time. When I think of the acid-sixties, I think of this tune. I wish I could have freaked out with some groovy chicks at the UFO club to this - that would have been awesome.

And remember, gold is lead, choke on bread, Jesus bled and pain is red.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSA2I9oRroE

3. The Gnome - Lord of the Rings, fantasy pastiche was all the rage, and this song captures this era perfectly. It's a little nerdy, goofy, funny, and oddly sincere. I imagine Barret actually believing that he is singing about a little gnome that lived in his mother's garden.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbWyC...eature=related

Some of my favorite Barret-era Floyd moments first appeared as bootlegs, and I'll address those later...

I too have never been a fan of the Syd era. PF's musical ideas later became far less rooted in time-specific song structures and melodies, whereas this album felt completely rooted to its time period. On some level that's perfectly acceptable, especially as a young band, but beyond "Astronomy Domine" I could never get into this release.
    The Boat People - 9
    The Power of the Dog - 7.5
    The King of Pigs - 7

Quote Quoting dreamdead (view post)
    PF's musical ideas later became far less rooted in time-specific song structures and melodies, whereas this album felt completely rooted to its time period.
    Exactly. Much of their music post-Barret, pre-The Wall, sounds timeless, some of it still sounds like it is from the future. This album is definitely a relic of its time. It is a dang cool sounding relic, but I don't find it as interesting as even the stuff they eventually did on their next release.

Too much responsibility Kurosawa Fan's Avatar
    Yeah, Piper at the Gates of Dawn blows. I had a friend in high school who loved this album, but every time we listened to it I was really just forcing myself to like it. Can't say I'm sorry the Syd days ended as soon as they did.

Montage, s'il vous plait? Raiders's Avatar
    Well, I'll step up and say Piper at the Gates of Dawn is my favorite Floyd album.
    Recently Viewed:
    Thor: The Dark World (2013) **½
    The Counselor (2013) *½
    Walden (1969) ***
    A Hijacking (2012) ***½
    Before Midnight (2013) ***

Films By Year

Quote Quoting Raiders (view post)
    Well, I'll step up and say Piper at the Gates of Dawn is my favorite Floyd album.
    That's cool. It's not my least favorite, but it is nowhere near the top.

Syd Barret era Floyd - Non-Album Tracks

(while waiting for Derek's first entry...)

The years immediately following Piper were interesting ones for the band. It is during these years that they would bring in David Gilmour, and the band would begin to develop their epic space-prog-rock sounds. These years are also a goldmine for tape traders and bootleg collectors, and I will be covering a few of the more famous concert recordings from this era at a later time.

There were are also quite a few non-released (at least officially at the time) songs that Barrett performed with the band. Many of these I like better than anything on Piper.

1. Scream Thy Last Scream - sonically, this is a most interesting song. There are many layers of vocals, some pitch-shifted in a comical and surreal way. Nick Mason actually sings most of the lyrics, but the song is definitely from the mind of Barrett. It is bolstered by a creative instrumental part and a number of tempo changes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8OPzPoSxha8

2. Vegetable Man - probably my favorite Barret-era Floyd song; it simply rocks. And what's with whacked out musicians and vegetables? (Brian Wilson used the crunching sounds of various vegetables for a rhythm track on Smile, comically lampooned by J Mascis of Dinosaur Jr. in the film Grace of My Heart) I love the break down in the middle of this song - the composition is creative, and really keeps things interesting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7e1RUXUx7o

Both of these were recorded around the same time as See Emily Play, which would later appear on the compilation Relics. You could put together a fantastic Barrett-era EP with See Emily Play, Jugband Blues (from Saucerful of Secrets) Scream Thy Last Scream, and Vegetable Man - an EP that I think is better than their first album.

Piper at the Gates of Dawn (1967)

I'll echo Daniel in saying I'm not the biggest Syd-era Floyd fan either, although there are several great tracks on Piper. I think his first solo album, The Madcap Laughs, is the highlight of his career and perfectly captures his brilliance as a songwriter.

Anyway, here are my picks from Piper:

1) "Astronomy Domine" - A no-brainer in my opinion, though I actually prefer the live version on Pulse to the album cut. Still, there something to the rawness of the studio version, the rough-edged guitar sound clashing against the ghostly voices, Waters patient yet complex basswork and Wright's time capsuled psychedelic keyboards. Dated yes, but certainly one of the finest songs of the era.

2) "Bike" - This is the Piper track that hinted at the genius of Barrett as a song writer. The song has these great rhythms that Barrett stretches, often extending lines, forcing that music to keep up with his absurd ramblings and other times slowing the pace. As a psychedelic pop, it's hard to ask for more than this weird, funny and groovy little tune. Gotta love Wright's piano here.

3) "Pow. R Toc H." - An underrated gem, this aimless song makes the journey the purpose and is the only track on the album that has a truly improvisational feel. I'm sure a lot of people hate it for that, but I love its simplicity, jazzy feel and how it shines the light on every musician in the band before it ends. Minor Floyd in the grand scheme of things obviously, but I still find it pleasurable.

Quote Quoting Derek (view post)

2) "Bike" - This is the Piper track that hinted at the genius of Barrett as a song writer. The song has these great rhythms that Barrett stretches, often extending lines, forcing that music to keep up with his absurd ramblings and other times slowing the pace. As a psychedelic pop, it's hard to ask for more than this weird, funny and groovy little tune. Gotta love Wright's piano here.
    This is a fun track, and it was almost a choice of mine.

1) "Astronomy Domine" - A no-brainer in my opinion, though I actually prefer the live version on Pulse to the album cut.
    I, too, prefer the Pulse version; this is sacrilege to most Floyd fans!

They opened with AD when I saw them, and it was pretty damn awesome. A very cosmic moment that perfectly set the tone for a great concert and experience.

Quote Quoting Daniel Davis (view post)
    1. Scream Thy Last Scream - sonically, this is a most interesting song. There are many layers of vocals, some pitch-shifted in a comical and surreal way. Nick Mason actually sings most of the lyrics, but the song is definitely from the mind of Barrett. It is bolstered by a creative instrumental part and a number of tempo changes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8OPzPoSxha8
    Great stuff. I love this song, but completely forgot about it because I rarely ever play the rarities/singles disc I have of theirs. Awesome song.

Great stuff. I love this song, but completely forgot about it because I rarely ever play the rarities/singles disc I have of theirs. Awesome song.
    It's amazing how many Barrett-era songs there were that didn't appear on any official albums. I mean, why wasn't See Emily Play on Piper? It was released as a stand alone single for an album that never was. And with Scarecrow as its B-side, I would think that it was recorded at the same session as the Piper stuff. Crazy.

A Sacuerful of Secrets (1968)

The second proper album from Floyd, and only proper album to feature all five members of the band: David Gilmour was brought on about 1/2 through, and Barrett vanished off into the ether of a decades long drug-induced mental breakdown. Supposedly, the songs Scream Thy Last Scream and Vegetable Man were to appear on this record, but with the shift in line-up, and the shift from psychedelic rock to a more progressive feel, the band felt that those two songs should be left off. I think this was a good call, as I cannot imagine those two songs on this record.

This is where the band really starts to get interesting. Their composition become longer, more complex, and more experimental. They begin to focus more on atmosphere and sound-design, thus creating a haunting mood that is simultaneously peaceful and frightening. This is one of my favorite PF albums, easily in my personal top 5.

Best songs:

1. Let There Be More Light - Written by Waters, I imagine this song as the blue print for many a post-rock band of today. It begins with a fantastic bass line coupled with some light cymbal work and a meandering organ riff before morphing into a more rhythmic and traditional verse. From the very first song on the album it is clear that the band is blasting off into new territories, as is evident in the music and the lyrics (the main vocal part is sung by Rick Wright).

Here is an awesome life version:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gE4U...eature=related

2. Remember a Day - a classic example of progressive-space rock. I love the twangy, echoing guitars, and the bouncy piano part compliments the melody and rhythm. Another classic tune written by Wright. The song conjures strong feelings of nostalgia for a time in the past, a time that one can never return to except in memory. The composition is nuanced and complex with morsels of interesting sonic flourishes nestled within the 4.5 minute running time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RbxSbc0AwHg

3. Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun - I'll talk more about this tune at a later time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvSHexRlNvo

The Man and the Journey (Live - 1969)

There are a ton of awesome bootlegs covering the years of 1969-1971, and this is one of the best in terms of song selection and quality. One of my favorite things about Pink Floyd is how they approached their concerts. They would often tour new songs not yet released and incorporate them into longer concept pieces with different arrangements and lengths. For example, before Meddle was released, their epic song Echoes was sometimes known as The Nothing parts 1-24.

This concert contains two concept pieces, two of Floyd's most famous. The first is called The Man, and it tells the story of a day in the life of a normal dude. He wakes up, works, has tea (at which point the band would actually have tea on stage), has sex, goes to sleep, and has a nightmare. It is more interesting conceptually than it is musically, but it does contain some great moments. The track Nightmare incorporates the song Cymbaline from the soundtrack they did for the French film More (coming soon to the thread).

The second piece is far more interesting musically. It's called The Journey, and it represents a kind of mythological quest. There are parts of this that must have influenced bands such as Mogwai, Godspeed You Black Emperor, Isis, and other post-rock bands. I cannot imagine hearing and seeing this performance in 1969 - it must have been mind-blowing.

Favorite tracks:

The Man

1. Daybreak - a beautiful little folk number. Sounds like you might imagine daybreak sounding.
    2. Nightmare - Cymbaline is one of my favorite PF tunes, and this is an incredible rendition

The Journey

1. Beset By The Creatures of the Deep - this would eventually become Careful With That Axe, Eugene, after also being known as Murderistic Woman. One of the all time great instrumental rock songs; it's loud, epic, passionate, and it totally rocks.

2. Behold the Temple of Light - A brilliant work of epic atmospheric rock. It begins with a spattering of guitar feedback and organ noodling accompanied by cymbal flourishes. While it never breaks out with a strong melody or purpose, it is never dull. This piece demonstrates the band's uncanny ability to create mood and atmosphere with their soundscapes.

...this track transitions into...

3. The End of the Beginning - which would later be worked into parts of Echoes. This is one of my favorite early Floyd tracks. It is beautiful and haunting.

More information:
    http://www.pf-roio.de/roio/roio-cd/m...ourney.cd.html

A Saucerful of Secrets (1968)

1) "Remember a Day" - Damn you Davis for picking this song! What starts off as an innocuous little psychedelic pop tune builds into something more, according to one Daniel Davis, "complex with morsels of interesting sonic flourishes". I especially love the flighty piano lines, but also how most of the instruments seem somewhat muted and distanced with only the vocals and random sounds making their way to the foreground. Such a beautiful song.

2) "Let There Be More Light" - Nothing to add to Daniel's thought. Gotta love that wicked bassline!

Live version of both Remember a Day and Let There Be More Light w/Roger Waters laughing and seeming to enjoy himself!

3) "Corporal Clegg" - I was actually planning on Set Your Control for this spot, but to add a little something to discussion, I'll go with this song which is great in its own right. Probably the closest Floyd ever came to being The Beatles and they did a pretty damn good job of it. Gilmour's guitar work is the highlight for me, but there are some nice vocal harmonies and a friggin' kazoo. It's the Floyd at their most playful and anarchic.

Live version of both Remember a Day and Let There Be More Light w/Roger Waters laughing and seemingly enjoy himself!

3) "Corporal Clegg" - I was actually planning on Set Your Control for this spot, but to add a little something to discussion, I'll go with this song which is great in its own right. Probably the closest Floyd ever came to being The Beatles and they did a pretty damn good job of it. Gilmour's guitar work is the highlight for me, but there are some nice vocal harmonies and a friggin' kazoo. It's the Floyd at their most playful and anarchic.
    That is an awesome performance, or lypsinc I think (as many of the TV shows were back then). It does look like they are having fun. Man, there are so many great videos of PF from this era. Luckily now, with youtube and Google video, we can actually see them without paying astronomical prices to tape traders.

Corporal Clegg is awesome, and it represents a great transition between the Barrett and Gilmour eras. The kazoo led outro is especially awesome.

Sorry, got really busy the last few days. I;ll have an update for this later today.

Ummagumma (1969)

One of two albums released in 1969. This is the album that made me a fan of the band. I first heard this in 1989, and up until this point, I always associated PF with the few songs (Money, Hey You, and other more "classic rock" sounding songs) I heard on the classic rock stations, and I was kind of snobby back then so I just dismissed them as an old band.

Little did I know...

However, over the years, this has become one of my least favorite PF albums, and the one I listen to the least. While at one time I praised its experimental nature, I now find it lacking in terms of melody, structure, and composition. It is ambitious, and definitely experimental, but I also find it unpleasing and messy.

It is split into two different albums: a studio recording and a live recording. The live album is not as good as many of the bootlegs from this period, and the studio album is only slightly interesting.

Favorite tracks:

1. The Narrow Way (Part 1) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1Dkb...eature=related

One of the most "hippie" sounding things the band would ever do. While I prefer the various live-bootleg recordings of this song, it is pretty good on this recording. The nice, laid back guitar strumming is accompanied by a number of noises including electric guitar, chirping sounds, and otherworldly sounds.

2. Grantchester Meadows
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N425j...eature=related

This was one of Waters' contributions to the album, and it is very nice - my favorite track on the album. And, I'll admit, I really liked listening to this song while on various substances. It is trippy, and strangely comforting. Like The Narrow Way, this track conjures images of nature, and it has a fairy-folk, ren-fair, quaint flair to it.

Greatest match-cut thread ever.

You are my heros.

I'll just say right now Animals is my fave.

Quote Quoting SirNewt (view post)
    Greatest match-cut thread ever.

You are my heros.

I'll just say right now Animals is my fave.
    Sweet, glad you're enjoying it!

Sorry for the delay. I've been sick the past few days, but I'll be sure to get to the next two albums over the weekend.

Ummagumma (1969)

Like Daniel, this is the Pink Floyd album I turn to least (along with The Final Cut, which let's face it, was a glorified Waters solo album) though it still has its moments.

1) "The Narrow Way" - As forgettable as much of the album is, this is the one track I still find myself craving from time to time. The offbeat melodies and slow-burning trippy guitars are all in perfect union, showing early signs of the Floyd's patience and careful attention to detail. It sounds like a lost track from Atom Heart Mother, only not as good as any song on that album. Okay, I guess I'd rather listen to this than "Alan's Psychedelic Breakfast".

2) "Several Species of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together in a Cave and Grooving with a Pict" - This has to be the strangest thing the band ever came up with and I for one was absolutely terrified when I first heard it. Not a great song by any means, but man is it out there. Now I actually find it more amusing and have grown to appreciate its spirit of experimentation. And come on, it's Roger Waters scatting with forest animals...that's pretty awesome.

More (1969) [Soundtrack]

Full disclosure: Before we started this thread, I had only heard parts of this soundtrack and never got around to buying it because I wasn't impressed with what I heard. I've since listened to it twice and would still put it near the bottom of their discography, although I haven't seen the film and I'm sure it works better in context. That said, there are a couple of tracks I dig on their own.

1) "The Nile Song" - This is one of the heaviest Floyd songs and one of the very rare times they simply rocked out. Gilmours crunchy guitar is great, but Waters' basswork is the highlight here as this song is the true highlight of the album.

2) "Ibiza Bar" - Another rock-out, this time with a slightly more psychedelic feel in the background guitar and keyboards.

how did i miss this thread?

i should've been alerted. *points to username*

i agree with you guys on syd-era floyd. i like astronomy domine and bike alot. but i hardly consider the syd-era pink floyd. to me pink floyd is roger waters, david gilmour, richard wright and nick mason.

i need to read the rest of the reviews, i've only read the piper ones. and the man and the journey is awesome.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast