Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: An Examination of the Themes of Kevin Smith's Films

An Examination of the Themes of Kevin Smith's Films

Yes, a duplicated thread from RT. Since Wats is such a whiny baby about it. (Oh, and 'cause I haven't seen some of you fine folk in a long while. How y'all been?)

Kevin Smith is known for his pot humor, his crackling dialogue, and being one hell of a nerd. But one thing he doesn't get enough credit for is being a filmmaker who works in very distinctive themes. After all, plenty of people are good with dialogue, and some of them even smoke pot and watch movies. Smith, however, is famed as a great writer (and sometimes, depending on the tastes and rubrics of the beholders, a great director), and that doesn't just come from the aforementioned skills. As a writer, what Smith is good at is looking at particular subjects and featuring the topics in several different lights within each individual film.

In this thread, I'll be going through each film of Smith's. I'll indicate what I think the theme/subject is in bold, and then write an essay examining how the film goes about examining it. For what it's worth: I at least like every one of Smith's films, but there's at least a couple that I don't completely love, nor do I think that each of them is a complete examination of the themes they raise. So not only will I be looking at how Smith's films explore their subjects, but I'll be determining which ways they don't satisfactorally explore them, or just approach the themes sideways. Also, these essays do take some time to write, and I do lead a life of some activity, so this isn't exactly going to be a fast thread. That's fine; more time for discussion, debate, and disagreement.

Prepare to see a man break down a series of pot jokes like you've never seen before (unless you've ever listened to a talkative man on shrooms). Here is the View Askewneverse, autopsied wide open.

Clerks.

"It's important to have a job that makes a difference, boys. That's why I manually masturbate caged animals for artificial insemination."

It won't be too much of a stretch for you to imagine my claim of what Smith's feature debut has going for it as a theme: work. How could it not - its main structural selling point is that it clocks a full day on the job. (Since Dante is stuck at the Quick Stop from open to close, we can easily guess that his shift lasts for about 17-19 hours. Has that stupid bastard who owns the joint and ran off to Vermont ever heard of a little thing called legally-mandated overtime?) Work, job titles, and the simple idea of "what you do" pervades almost every frame of Clerks, sometimes in very obvious ways and sometimes in very subtle ways. If it's not the topic of discussion, the mere fact that Dante and Randal are currently on-the-job colors and shapes the conclusions that every scene reaches. Because of that, despite the film's infamously raunchy verbosity and its grungy sense of humor, it's probably one of Smith's most thematically-soaked film.

One of the more obvious airings of the thematic laundry is seen in the famed Star Wars discussion. Much in modern film geekery can actually be traced back to this scene, perhaps more than it's even given credit for: Empire's better 'cause it's dark, Jedi blows, have you ever considered so-and-so, etc. After all, Clerks was one of the first films to represent the Gen-X mindset, and especially their experiences and perceptions of the pop culture they grew up with. In fact, Smith deserves more credit for this than Tarantino. Tarantino favors cult items, and therefore probably did more to open up people's interest towards things they didn't know existed; comparably, Smith favored mainstream references (Jaws, Star Wars, etc.) and therefore guided people towards rediscovery and re-assessment of things they were already fans of well back when they were younger. However, that said, the Star Wars conversation is also completely about jobs. It's about personal responsibility towards your profession - Randal supposes that the outside contractors on the second Death Star were unfortunate collateral, and an eavesdropping contractor refutes this by insisting that a personal code of ethics must be adhered to when choosing jobs. Dante and Randal are left pensive and uncertain, since they themselves are uncertain of their own personal ethics towards their meaningless register-jockey lifestyles. How appropriate, in fact, that Randal is the one who presupposes that the hypothetical outside contractors on the Jedi Death Star are blameless victims, since Randal himself is so drained of personal responsibility towards his job that he constantly and consistently acts out. One imagines that Randal himself would be just as whiny a contractor on the Death Star, lashing out at the Rebellion for interrupting him from doing a job he should have known better not to take in the first place.

This is a pattern that follows throughout many of the film's barely-strung-together scenes (the film is, ultimately, very piecemeal; all the better to be a series of job-related vignettes). The egg-testing customer is identified as being a guidance counselor, shell-shocked thanks to his useless position. Rick Derris brags about his career as a personal trainer. The whole cigarette riot is a scam perpetrated by a guerilla-tactics advertiser of Chewlies' Gum, making the public outburst a mere symptom of his work. It's even represented in the tangled Dante love scenario. Veronica is constantly trying to get Dante back on track in college, as if she was his own conscience nagging at him to make something of himself. She is clearly looking to the future, building herself up but also trying to bring her partner with her and see him succeed as well. Caitlin, on the other hand, doesn't seem to much care that Dante's a clerk, although she doesn't seem to be all that attracted to his nowhere life either. Her unseen husband-to-be is also worthy of note; he is continually referred to by his college major ("an Asian design major"), as an indication of how lofty or important the career that he would presumably move into will be. And yet Caitlin doesn't have much fidelity to him either, insisting that her own (unstated) career matters well more than any solid relationship and therefore that the job of the man in her life is simply a useless factoid. Dante's struggle between the girls seems to imply a struggle between moving on with his life or remaining where he is.

And, naturally, any scene that's not about work in specific topic is still about work in subtext, thanks to Dante and Randal themselves. After all, in every scene we watch, at least one of the people in the scene is on the clock. Randal's scene-stealing antipathy towards the job and the customers is so strong that we tend to overlook the fact that Dante's actually very good at his job. He's an understanding, conciliatory worker, one normally willing to put the customers first. Note the scene where he helps some dumbass get his hand out of the Pringles jar, or (of course) the continuing set of requests from the horny old man. We're getting a very specific comparison of working styles between Randal and Dante, as personified by their ongoing philosophical debate about self-justified anarchy (Randal) versus well-meaning doormat-ism (Dante).

That said, I close this essay with the thought that Clerks, as drenched in exploration of work-related issues as it is, doesn't necessarily dig deep into said issues. It's hard to say that Clerks comes to any distinct conclusion, or even specific insight, regarding the working world and our behavior within it. Clerks tends, rather, to present the contradicting concepts to us and lets us either take it or leave it as we will, which is why the film ultimately comes across as so lightweight. After all, if Clerks were really digging deep into the territory of all the job-related stuff it brings up, it would be a heavy and somber realization of all our most horrifying fears about our lives and how we live them. The comedy of Clerks saves us from having to endure such sobering intensity, but it also probably muddles what message there might be. Dante would seem to be coming to the conclusion, by the end, that he needs to make something of his life (shown both in his pep talk/dressing-down by Randal and his desire to get back with Veronica). But that's not a comedic decision per se, and comedy best favors the humbling truth over the elevated truth. Can we really say that Clerks is a film that favors moving on with your life? Not really; all the people in the film with "real" careers are just as schmucky as our lead characters. They're all figures of ridicule, naturally, because the film is intended to make us laugh. If Clerks was a drama, there'd be no doubt that Dante's journey into a real career would be seriously treated. Instead, it's a goof, a gag on unfocused and wavering ambition. The irony of Clerks II, when we get to it, is that Randal's admonition of Dante to "shit or get off the pot" will prove to be that Dante really just needs to get off the pot.
    Hey, look, it's that animation nut from RT.

Yay! Even though I loathe Smith's films and his personality, your writing is the bee's knees.
    Sure why not?

STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI (Rian Johnson) - 9
    STRONGER (David Gordon Green) - 6
    THE DISASTER ARTIST (James Franco) - 7
    THE FLORIDA PROJECT (Sean Baker) - 9
    LADY BIRD (Greta Gerwig) - 8

"Hitchcock is really bad at suspense."
    - Stay Puft

Quote Quoting Watashi (view post)
    Yay! Even though I loathe Smith's films and his personality, your writing is the bee's knees.
    The knees of a bee are small.

This phrase is strange and curious to me.

And though I have quite a few of these already written at RT, I'll probably pace myself here.

Hello.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    Hello.
    Hey.

How're things? Did you go to Con this year? I had to miss out.

Mallrats

"You know about this game show they got goin' on here? We need you guys to somehow ensure that it doesn't happen."
    "Is that it? We were gonna do that anyway."
    "Really? Why?"
    "What else are we gonna do?"

Nobody in their right mind, or even any variety of wrong mind, would suggest that Mallrats is a thematically rich film. Kevin Smith has admitted that the basic concept for the film was to be "a new Porky's", which would not be categorized as aiming high. But as lowbrow and non-ambitious as it is, it actually manages to do something fairly similar to Clerks in how it presents a series of scenarios that reflect one particular thematic subject. And given the title of the film, and what said titular group is best known for doing, how appropriate it is that I claim the following as Mallrats' exploratory theme: leisure.

Does that sound a little bit pretentious? I can understand why. It's kind of a big word for what is essentially a very lazy and easy idea: hanging around and doing nothing. But it's also the basic opposite of Clerks' theme of work. It's "play". It's fun and frivolity and meaningless sex and goofy nothingness. Is there any doubt that the most business-like of characters in Mallrats are easily the least sympathetic - Shannon Hamilton and Mr. Svenning? In Mallrats, if you're not having fun, then you're no fun at all. Nothing in this film is especially important, and even important things are deliberately dialed down to a crucial level of triviality. And there's no question that it's deliberate, because it takes effort to make a film about people so lacked for effort. These characters have to wander from place to place doing pretty much nothing of significance, and then end up at that most trivial of things: a dating game show. It's a leisurely movie, full of characters basically wasting time while they wait for the climax.

This particular tendency of the film is probably part of why it's so ill-received. The easiest way to turn off an audience is to exhaust them of their interest in the main characters, and it's easy to lose interest when they're too aimless for words. The trick, of course, is that Mallrats isn't really aimless and most of the scenes follow a particular logic to essentially get us from the end to the beginning. (The character of Gwen, on the other hand, makes the film quite literally aimless for a while. She's pretty useless towards the story.) The problem is that because Smith is making a semi-logical story about fully-leisurely people, the whole thing comes off as inconsequential as anything else. It also doesn't help that T.S. engages in the worst kind of leisure. Brodie, the undisputed stealer of the film, is passionate about his dispassionate activities. T.S. is just in a funk, wasting time because he simply can't think of anything intelligent to do until he stares at a fake nipple. Jeremy London's unimaginative performance doesn't help, but mostly his whining grates, and his happy ending is provided for him mostly because his girlfriend is an equal-level whiner. When Brodie calls them out for being "retarded for each other", he's more right than he knows. Additionally, the surface penetration that "work" gets in Clerks is about fifty times more deep than "leisure" gets in Mallrats. Granted, it's not like there's any insight to the idea of fun that would be really worth anything ("Fun is fun"? What a stunning revelation!), but the blatant lack of depth could easily turn off a more jaded viewer, who'll notice that the happy endings in the film fall into the laps of the characters like so many deus ex machinas.

But I'm not a snob. Mallrats is a damn funny film and it's got a lot of good laughs. And it sports an impressive collection of leisurely behaviors, from the aforementioned Dating Game knockoff to the obsession with comic books. Willam Black spends all his time staring at a Magic Eye, so dedicated to experiencing the basic quickie leisure of seeing a 3D image that he turns it into real work. And again, the love lives of the characters begin to reflect the main theme. Sex becomes leisurely in Mallrats, most personified by the absolute parade of statuatory rape contained within Tricia Jones' research. She's examining sex like it's work, but her subject seems chosen with a shrug, as if it were no different than writing about gallwasps. Renee eventually becomes suspicious of Shannon's attempts at making their date "fun" due to his overindulgence of her, which rings as false against Brodie's ease in leisure; as much of a dick as he is to her in the beginning, at least the guy's honest. Which once more brings us back to Brodie Bruce, a man who seems to bleed leisure in the best way and remains the breakout character of the film. Does he have a job? Do we care? It's like the guy was born into his comic-book universe, a Watcher of the Marvel variety cross-pollenated with Mr. Pink. Like I said earlier, he brings passion and humor to his pursuit of the unnecessary. Even if his Tonight Show gig was a complete left-fielder, woe befall the Grinch who dare insist that he didn't earn it. Leisure never had so excellent a spokesperson.

Goddammit Match Cut, respond!

I didn't drag him here for nothing.
    Sure why not?

STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI (Rian Johnson) - 9
    STRONGER (David Gordon Green) - 6
    THE DISASTER ARTIST (James Franco) - 7
    THE FLORIDA PROJECT (Sean Baker) - 9
    LADY BIRD (Greta Gerwig) - 8

"Hitchcock is really bad at suspense."
    - Stay Puft

This is good stuff for a filmmaker that gets slagged on way too much these days.

Interesting thoughts on Clerks. Especially like the last paragraph and this sentence:

The comedy of Clerks saves us from having to endure such sobering intensity, but it also probably muddles what message there might be.
    What are you thoughts on the quality of the film? I actually saw it for the first time sometime within the last year and hated it. Nearly everything about it annoyed me. I could see how it would have been thought of as something "new" and thus inventive back in 1994, but it reaks of amateur hour when seen now.

I like Dogma. There's a certain innocence to that one. I find it effectively spiritual even if the themes are pretty blatant. The fact that Fiorentino is the only Smith protagonist who isn't a douche bag helps too.

Can't say I like anything else he's done.
    letterboxd.

A Star is Born (2018) **1/2
    Unforgiven (1992) ***1/2
    The Sisters Brothers (2018) **
    Crazy Rich Asians (2018) ***
    The Informant! (2009) ***1/2
    BlacKkKlansman (2018) ***1/2
    Sorry to Bother You (2018) **1/2
    Eighth Grade (2018) ***
    Mission Impossible: Fallout (2018) ***
    Ant-Man and The Wasp (2018) **1/2

Sometimes, I think I'm the only person who believes that Mallrats is his best film.
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Curious to see how this will be received here.

Are you writing about Chasing Amy Alex? That's my fave.

Quote Quoting Pop Trash (view post)
    Are you writing about Chasing Amy Alex? That's my fave.
    He writes about all of them.

Sometimes, I think I'm the only person who believes that Mallrats is his best film.
    I think it's his best in that it is the most transparent and honest about its juvenile tendencies and ambitions.

It comes the time for me to admit that I've never seen a Kevin Smith movie except for Jersey Girl.

And that Jersey Girl is a monumental, almost an epic turd of a movie.

I've read both analysis and I'd be interested in checking his classics out.

You should post some over here, Alex. Take the snobbery quota down.

ritch:ritch:ritch:ritch:

Quote Quoting Daniel Davis (view post)
    I think it's his best in that it is the most transparent and honest about its juvenile tendencies and ambitions.
    Well, I wouldn't put it that way, but I agree.

I'd say it's the most seamless integration of Smith's own interests into a story.
    Movie Theater Diary

Chasing Amy

"Bitch, what you don't know about me I could just about squeeze into the Grand fucking Canyon. Did you know I always wanted to be a dancer in Vegas?"

The easiest thing would be to say that Chasing Amy is about love, or sex, or something like that. Maybe friendships also, since there's such a deconstruction here of several friendships. But the truth is that Amy covers all these topics equally, and has a few more things to cover as well. So in putting a brand on this film's core thematic subject, the words need to be chosen very carefully, because the right turn-of-phrase will incorporate every aspect of what Amy is able to dig into. And here's my bid for that turn-of-phrase: Chasing Amy is a remarkable exploration of interpersonal relationships. All films may "be about" interpersonal relationships in the macro-view, since all you need is more than one person in a story to start seeing some kind of relationship on display. However, Chasing Amy, which is my favorite of Smith's films and one of my favorite films of all time, chooses a variety of subjects and side-subjects that are all about the way that we relate to each other. Even better, it's also Smith's first real complete and solid story, featuring a far smaller cast of characters and thusly focusing way more on the evolutionary elements of the few characters we actually do see. Instead of being a series of vignettes that feature and highlight unique perspectives on the chosen thematic subject, it's a narrative that actually puts that theme through a real wringer.

First off, I'll start with one of my favorite side examples of interpersonal relationships that gets examined in the film: the artist's relationship with the audience. It's hardly a key conflict; the story of the film would've gone as it did mostly without it being there. But it's a crucial color in the film's palette. Banky's "tracer" scene with the jacket-and-mustache Mosier (my favorite of Mosier's cameos) perfectly encapsulates the disconnect between the artists and the audience. The artist's job is perceived by the audience member as being silly and inferior; the audience member's lack of respect is seen by the artist as being an attack on their professional integrity. In both cases, the members of this conflict see the opposite side as being willfully ignorant. It's like those people that think acting is an "easy job"; how am I, as an actor, going to explain to them otherwise? Veering into a different realm of the same topic, Holden's desire to do a comic that's more personal shows us an artist who's not satisfied with the audience he has. His scene with the fan in the beginning makes that clear; he's trapped by a project that won't let him actually bring who he is to the audience. The relationship between the artist and the audience is a precious thing when it actually involves an artist saying something from his soul, and that's what Holden wants to get back to. And Hooper X is a clear example of the artist/audience disconnect. He the artist has to come to his audience on false pretenses, because he's a black man that wouldn't be palatable to a black audience due to his extremely obvious sexuality. Ergo, he puts on his Black Nation character every time he's out in public, gallows-laughing at himself for what he has to sink to doing for the purposes of gaining an audience. Hooper's audience thinks they're getting exactly what they want out of a likeminded artist, but instead he scoffs at their hatred and laments that the real Hooper, the real artist, cannot come through the artistry.

Speaking of Hooper, racism and prejudice come to the forefront in one of Smith's films for the first time. Follow-up films deal with some racism stuff, but that deals with it as a additional element in regards to those films' main subjects (or it's just part of Chris Rock's schtick). Chasing Amy is where it actually gets deconstructed. Of course, Hooper's first scene on the minority panel is a pose, an inside joke against racism perpetrated by Hooper, Holden, and Banky. But Hooper does have to deal with being a black gay man, which he identifies as "a minority of a minority within a minority" and therefore makes his life very tough. (What's the third minority he references - comic book writer?) Couple this with Banky's seemingly-real prejudice against homosexuals, and we have both a victimizer and a victim, although not of each other. Prejudice is a form of relationship between groups of people, or even just between one person and one person based on larger group dynamics. It communicates fear and hatred between people because of perceived unfairnesses or established histories. Hooper retreats into himself and puts up a shield of another person entirely so that he can avoid being called out for who he is. He refuses to engage in the game of communication that will inevitably lead to racism, homophobia, or any permutation of the two. Banky, due to his fears about himself and also his jealousies regarding Alyssa, develops a hatred of homosexuals that serves to help him lash out against his irrationally-chosen enemies without revealing his core reasons for doing so. With both of these guys, we see prejudice work itself as a means by which we communicate our worst impulses towards each other without actually communicating what sits deepest within ourselves.

But let's get to the main couple. With Alyssa and Holden, we see a friendship that turns to love. A semi-common occurrence, perhaps, but we get a nice show of how that kind of occurrence can operate. Holden came into the friendship after having had a thing for her since their first meeting, so perhaps with Holden it's just a full realization of previously-created feelings. But with Alyssa, we can probably argue that she falls in love with Holden during the scenes we see in the "Never Will Forget This" montage. How exactly do we tell? Well, consider this: Chasing Amy features various kinds of friendships that we see through Holden, from the casual (Jay & Bob) to the good (Hooper) to the best (Banky) to the inevitable soulmate (Alyssa). What differentiates all of these friendships from each other and determines their status is how much the participants are able to find common ground with each other. How they relate. Chasing Amy constantly shows us the way common ground is both grown and shrunk in the course of a friendship. It grows with Alyssa, and it shrinks with Banky. Alyssa, in the aforementioned montage, starts finding herself more and more in complete line with Holden to the point where one imagines she's considering what it would be like to spend her whole life with him; the subtle tipoff for this is in her facial expression after Holden gets her lighter to work. Banky, however, loses common ground with Holden because he's focused on other things and wants Holden to focus on them also, like his desire to take Bluntman & Chronic into animation versus Holden's subconscious desire to get away from the property. Friendship, as Chasing Amy shows us, is an organic relationship tied to the changes of its practicioners, and when we stop relating to each other in meaningful ways, distance grows and friends become enemies very quickly.

But then love comes into play, and love is not specifically friendship. It has, at its core, a very similar sense of needing common ground, which is why many people in strong romantic relationships often refer to their significant others as their "best friends". Still, it's not enough to merely have common ground with somebody. Love, psychologically speaking, is a complete and intense interest in everything about the person in question. The difference is that whereas friendship is about who has common ground with me, love is about me being interested in the fullness of you. In its purest form, it is the most unselfish of acts, and it takes a direct statement of said interest. That's why the term is usually "declaration of love"; you're declaring it. Holden and Alyssa have this kind of purity, for at least a while. But this is why secrets are so horribly toxic to love; if they're bad enough to break somebody's trust, that hurt person may not want to be so intensely interested in everything about their loved one. Chasing Amy recognizes this hurt but also condemns it as ultimately selfish, in Holden's discovery of Alyssa's past. Holden has the right to be hurt, and maybe even offended, by the lies. But his lashing out at Alyssa is inherently dishonest because he's not really relating his real worries and fears to her. Nor does Holden really listen to what she says; if he had, he wouldn't even have needed Silent Bob's advice.

Which brings us to Jay and Bob. Jay and Silent Bob are curious creatures in the Askewneverse; save the obvious Jersey Girl, we can often look to these two silly drug peddlers to be a microcosm of the theme in all the films. (Maybe not so much Clerks, since they're really just there for color; bringing them back each time has necessitated Smith weaving them into the thematic patchwork of each successive flick.) Here, we get a chance to deconstruct how Jay and Bob actually relate to each other. Instead of just being a generic duo, they bicker and have difficulties relating to each other just as much as the rest of the fine folk in this world. Jay complains that Bob always tells his Amy story and yet he still can't remember a single detail of it. Classic. But as to the Amy parable itself, Bob was trying to tell Holden that this kind of situation requires dropping your own shit and moving on. Holden simply couldn't. And not only couldn't he, but he manages to twist Bob's words into this bizarro three-way scheme that he claims will allow everybody to be on the same level with each other. Except that's not what it's intended to do at all. It's just intended to bring everybody down to Holden's level. It's the single most selfish act in the movie. He can't accept that Banky is ultimately moving another way in life, and he can't accept that Alyssa is not the same person that did the crap she did in her youth. Instead, he suggests a situation that would forcibly brand the exact things both Alyssa and Banky are trying to escape onto their heads simply because that would clear up (apparently) how they come across to Holden. In the world of relationships, and I don't mean just romantic, it can often be a kind of tennis match where the emphasis on who's doing the relating is quite important. Holden's three-way was a way to make Alyssa and Banky relate more with him, to understand his issues. But Holden couldn't seem to grasp the concept that the ball was in his court, and this was the time for him to relate with their issues instead. Which is why the film ends the way it does.

There are other smaller bits here and there in the film that reveal or feature the ways we relate to each other. The whole "sex injury" scene is about a straight guy and a lesbian relating to each other on the common-ground topic of eating girls out. Alyssa's lesbian friends catch on to Alyssa's communication trickery with the "pronoun game". More communication trickery is seen in the "cross-examination" scene. Chasing Amy is all about relating to one another, whether it's in that small stuff or in the earlier-analyzed big stuff. It's a film that leaves us sad but satisfied, because even in Holden's final comic we still recognize that he can't go back to Alyssa. At the time she needed him to be there for her, he was only there for himself. And that's the kind of trust in relationship that cannot be rebuilt.

Too much responsibility Kurosawa Fan's Avatar
    I think it's easiest to say that Chasing Amy is about yelling. And screaming. Crying too. That's about all I got out of it.

great write up. my problems with that film actually relate more to how poorly acted the climactical scenes are. i suppose it could be the writing, but the big banky/alyssa fight and the big banky/holden fight and even the proposed threesome all seem very soapy.

the part you wrote about the alyssa relationship edging out the banky relationship really hit home with me though, as i'm 23 right now and many of my friends are starting to get married.

Alex you should spend more time on Match-Cut. The only reason you don't is because they made you a mod at that "Other" place. Good to see yah around though, and this thread actually makes me want to see more of Kevin Smith's films. So far its been a mixed bag: Clerks I think is pretty darn good, Clerks II was decent, and Jay and Silent Bob Strikes Back was mediocre.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

I just found out that Jason Lee is scientologist. Damn.
    Movie Theater Diary

*reads thread title*

Why?
    The Princess and the Pilot - B-
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C