Page 77 of 129 FirstFirst ... 2767757677787987127 ... LastLast
Results 1,901 to 1,925 of 3203

Thread: Discuss the Musics Thread

Can someone point me toward some creepy dub-influenced post-punk or anything else akin to Metal Box-era Public Image Ltd.?

Quote Quoting Idioteque Stalker (view post)
    Can someone point me toward some creepy dub-influenced post-punk or anything else akin to Metal Box-era Public Image Ltd.?
    Metal Box PiL was/is a favorite, but they were pretty unique and one of a kind.

Try something like Scorn's The End...

[youtube]WUJLwD9wWQs[/youtube]

..or some of the older punks that explored dub (ie, Renegade Soundwave in Dub or even certain songs on Sandinista by the Clash].

I think your best bet may be to check out various compilations, such as the two Macro Dub Infection collections (one of which has an amazing dub version of that Scorn song). Also, check out the Dubcast compilations at this site. I think thery're all still free downloads, too. You'll hear mixes that contain a lot of different varieties of dub (classic Jamaican, drum 'n bass, punk, ambient, etc). It includes track listings so you can search for those acts that intrigue you the most. I've only got the first 20 volumes or so, but I see they're up to 37. I gots some catching up to do.

Happy hunting!

Quote Quoting Idioteque Stalker (view post)
    [youtube]okG8mlvAKT8[/youtube]

...from the excellent Y. Also Mark Stewart's first few solo records fit that bill, esp. Learning to Cope With Cowardice.

Not that anyone follows Beyonce, but I find it funny that her new girl power song samples this song that's nothing but misogyny.

sorta NSFW.
    [
    ]

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Ain't that just the way EyesWideOpen's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    Not that anyone follows Beyonce, but I find it funny that her new girl power song samples this song that's nothing but misogyny.

sorta NSFW.
    [
    ]
    Pon de Floor is one of my favorite songs. I've probably listened to it since it came out more then any other song on my ipod.

And I disagree that it's nothing but misogyny. The only actual lyrics are

"Lady, get in line.

Let me see your bestest wine

Move if you want to all it tek a jus a likkle wine. "

If your talking about the video it's done by Tim and Eric and is supposed to be ridiculous.
    TV Recently Finished:
    Catastrophe: Season 1 (2015) A
    Rectify: Season 3 (2015) A-
    Bojack Horseman: Season 2 (2015) A
    True Detective: Season 2 (2015) A-
    Wayward Pines: Season 1 (2015) B

Currently Playing: Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise (replay) (XB1) / Contradiction (PC)
    Recently Finished: Everybody's Gone to the Rapture (PS4) A+ / Life is Strange: Ep 4 (PS4) A / Bastion (replay) (PS4) B+

Shocking Seductive Spiral Thirdmango's Avatar
    So I have a very large music collection. Mainly due to the fact that I already had a very big one and then doubled and tripled collections by adding everything a couple of my friends owned as well. My collection is almost up to 200 GB and because of this there is A LOT of music I've never gotten around to listening to. Well about 6 months ago in an effort to create the perfect workout ipod I went through all the stuff I knew and only took the songs that are good to workout to, but then I still needed more so I went back and took a bunch of albums from bands I've never gotten around to but have owned forever. The last three days I went through the entire discography of The Who. It was a crazy ride. Tonight, I'm going to start Rush.

Shocking Seductive Spiral Thirdmango's Avatar
    So I'm sure a bunch of you are on last.fm, if you are add me as a friend, I'm the same screenname, Thirdmango.

At the risk of sounding mellow dramatic I want to say that it's comforting to find songs that somehow match up with the circumstances in your life.

[youtube]yqiRgCqVsBE[/youtube]

Quote Quoting Thirdmango (view post)
    So I'm sure a bunch of you are on last.fm, if you are add me as a friend, I'm the same screenname, Thirdmango.
    Will do, man.

Quote Quoting Lasse (view post)
    If you liked that, you might enjoy Tina Dickow (internationally she goes by the name Tina Dico), a Danish singer that worked with Zero 7 on the previous album, When It Falls. She's such a presence, and she just makes these amazingly catchy pop tunes. Her best album, In The Red, should be released in America, as well.

Nobody's Man
    Warm Sand
    I finally got around to listening to both of those songs. She's got a really strong voice, but I prefer Warm Sand to Nobody's Man.

This year I haven't listened to a whole lot, partly due to the fact that I've really gone through a lot of my public library's collection, and also because I've been mostly broke.

Albums List 2009

Albums List 2010
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

New Emmylou Harris = mega win.

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    that's all dubstep, but it's called post-dubstep to disassociate itself from acts like skrillex, bassnectar, borgore, etc, which seems to have hijacked the dubstep tag among those in the mainstream and is basically just nu-metal dubstep

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    The new beastie boys album is awesome.

Does anyone know who plays the Bum in the Make Some Noise video>?
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Not a huge fan of the new Fleet Foxes. Their debut had some very catchy songs on it, lots of really great hooks. The songs on this new one just kind of meander along. I need to listen to it a couple more times to be sure but it's not working for me so far.

I found the first Fleet Foxes so boring, I'm not going to bother with the follow-up.
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

the best description i've found online for fleet foxes is that it's music for college republicans

seems pretty apt to me

I like the new Fleet Foxes almost as much as their debut, which was quite a bit. I was also a Republican entering college so obviously that explains it. Still getting over the shock of trans not loving them.

Clearly the first bold statement of the post-hipster movement.

Quote Quoting Derek (view post)
    Still getting over the shock of trans not loving them.
    Liking them. Not liking them.
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd

Quote Quoting transmogrifier (view post)
    Liking them. Not liking them.
    What?? No way! Maybe you could provide a 5-step outline of what you require in music, so I can avoid future shock over your dislike of bands that clearly you'd dislike.

But really, I can't give a Can fan too much shit even if he's the Qrazy of music.

What?? No way! Maybe you could provide a 5-step outline of what you require in music, so I can avoid future shock over your dislike of bands that clearly you'd dislike.

But really, I can't give a Can fan too much shit even if he's the Qrazy of music.
    I'm not sure the comparisons apt, seeing as I'm an mainstream indie-type person, who prefers the relatively unsophisticated pleasures of big guitars, big hooks and genuine oomph.

Qrazy, on the other hand, is just crazy.
    Last 10 Movies Seen

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd

Quote Quoting transmogrifier (view post)
    I'm not sure the comparisons apt, seeing as I'm an mainstream indie-type person, who prefers the relatively unsophisticated pleasures of big guitars, big hooks and genuine oomph.

Qrazy, on the other hand, is just crazy.
    I actually meant it more in relation to me. Qrazy likes a lot of films I consider great, but also hates on a lot of films I love. Same for you with music, although I think we tend to agree more about pre-2000 music.

I actually meant it more in relation to me. Qrazy likes a lot of films I consider great, but also hates on a lot of films I love. Same for you with music, although I think we tend to agree more about pre-2000 music.
    I know your problem - you just like too much. Try a little hatred, it makes all the good stuff even better.
    Last 10 Movies Seen

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd

This new Tyler, The Creator album is ridiculous.

God guys, I know my existence shapes your lives in utterly remarkable ways but you don't have to talk about me all the time!

Also, I like Can.
    The Princess and the Pilot - B-
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+