Page 76 of 129 FirstFirst ... 2666747576777886126 ... LastLast
Results 1,876 to 1,900 of 3203

Thread: Discuss the Musics Thread

[youtube]-TTPGAy5H_E[/youtube]

Really liking this album.

This lady was on MPR last saturday afternoon. Has an interesting story, and I loved the lo-fi rumbling beats of the songs they were playing. Will probably wind up getting the album sooner rather than later.
    Losing is like fertilizer: it stinks for a while, then you get used to it. (Tony, Hibbing)

Really cool free R&B mixtape.

http://the-weeknd.com/

[youtube]Yj8AL-CDX28[/youtube]

Quote Quoting bac0n (view post)
    Future Sound of London...Lifeforms
    Question for bac0n and Davis, re our recent mutual FSOL jackoff session - the song Domain (it's the first song on CD2 of Lifeforms) samples a musical theme that has always seemed very familiar to me (pretty sure it's a classical piece) but for the life of me I've never been able to identify it.

Help me O b'c0n, you're my only hope (and D too). Any ideas?

[youtube]dBVpCnOd038[/youtube]

Rep to whoever can identify it. I'll probably be embarrassed, as I suspect it's something very famous.

EDIT: Nevermind. It's Pachelbel's Canon in D Major. Rep to myself!

[youtube]6wpPk8qk3uQ[/youtube]

D'oh! Can't believe I didn't recognize it.

[youtube]bsauScWx8hY[/youtube]

I need to find my copy of Lifeforms.

Montage, s'il vous plait? Raiders's Avatar
    Still going through the recs... most recently loved The Magnetic Fields. I went for their most recent album, Realism. Wonderfully biting folk-inspired music. I'll go for i next and eventually 69 Love Songs. Less enthused by what I sampled from Distortion.
    Recently Viewed:
    Thor: The Dark World (2013) **½
    The Counselor (2013) *½
    Walden (1969) ***
    A Hijacking (2012) ***½
    Before Midnight (2013) ***

Films By Year

Quote Quoting Raiders (view post)
    Still going through the recs... most recently loved The Magnetic Fields. I went for their most recent album, Realism. Wonderfully biting folk-inspired music. I'll go for i next and eventually 69 Love Songs. Less enthused by what I sampled from Distortion.
    I'd just go straight for 69 Love Songs. They never topped that.

The Ocean, by Two Bicycles

In a word, stunning. Beautiful guitar melodies coupled with electronic atmospherics and soundscapes; it's like instrumental, acoustic Cocteau Twins meets Sumner McKane and Harold Budd.

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    I need to find my copy of Lifeforms.
    hehe, me too
    Losing is like fertilizer: it stinks for a while, then you get used to it. (Tony, Hibbing)

http://www.filmdetail.com/2011/02/02...res-1996-2009/

I'm really looking forward to this, especially the 35 Shots of Rum score. I am a bit disappointed they're not including the exquisite music from Friday Night, even though it's credited only to an ex-member and not the whole band.

Edit: whoops, just recognized it is indeed included, it was just in its original French spelling and I kind of read over it. yay

Evil mind, evil sword. Ivan Drago's Avatar
    Anybody catch some or all of LCD Soundsystem's final show this past Saturday? I caught the end on Pitchfork.tv and have been watching performances on YouTube. Pretty amazing stuff.
    Last Five Films I've Seen (Out of 5)

The Boy, The Mole, The Fox and the Horse (Mackesy, 2022) 4.5
    Puss In Boots: The Last Wish (Crawford, 2022) 4
    Confess, Fletch (Mottola, 2022) 3.5
    M3GAN (Johnstone, 2023) 3.5
    Turning Red (Shi, 2022) 4.5
    Tokyo Story (Ozu, 1953) 5

615 Film
    Letterboxd

So this Odd Future crew sure has a lot of personality. I can't fully get behind any one LP, but they're bringing something new to hip-hop so I've been obsessing for over a month now. If you take his age into account, Earl Sweatshirt might be the most impressive rapper ever. His turns of phrase are pretty delightful and he has a way with internal rhymes that rivals MF Doom.

Anyways, anyone heard that song "Tina" from Tyler, the Creator? I won't post it because it's horrible, but those offensive synths and nonsensical "rhymes" have kinda dug into my brain. I used to scoff when they tripped over their words or said "swag" over and over, but now it gets me hyped as shit. I'm not sure what changed.

Did I simply become familiar enough that it became endearing, or does stuff like this and Wacka Flocka signal a sort of sea change akin to to punk in '76/'77 in that it's less about technical prowess (in "Tina'"s case, completely throwing out proper rapping) and all about attitude? What do you all think? Experienced anything like this before or recently?

Quote Quoting Ivan Drago (view post)
    Anybody catch some or all of LCD Soundsystem's final show this past Saturday? I caught the end on Pitchfork.tv and have been watching performances on YouTube. Pretty amazing stuff.
    yeah. i have several friends that went, i couldn't be more jealous.

i wish i had gotten to see them.

Hey Raiders, just thought of another band you might like: Peter Bjorn & John.

Here's their most famous song so far:

[youtube]OIRE6iw-ws4[/youtube]

Quote Quoting Idioteque Stalker (view post)
    So this Odd Future crew sure has a lot of personality. I can't fully get behind any one LP, but they're bringing something new to hip-hop so I've been obsessing for over a month now. If you take his age into account, Earl Sweatshirt might be the most impressive rapper ever. His turns of phrase are pretty delightful and he has a way with internal rhymes that rivals MF Doom.

Anyways, anyone heard that song "Tina" from Tyler, the Creator? I won't post it because it's horrible, but those offensive synths and nonsensical "rhymes" have kinda dug into my brain. I used to scoff when they tripped over their words or said "swag" over and over, but now it gets me hyped as shit. I'm not sure what changed.

Did I simply become familiar enough that it became endearing, or does stuff like this and Wacka Flocka signal a sort of sea change akin to to punk in '76/'77 in that it's less about technical prowess (in "Tina'"s case, completely throwing out proper rapping) and all about attitude? What do you all think? Experienced anything like this before or recently?
    just want to say "tina" and "swag me out" are my favorite odd future songs

i don't know where you get this whole "sea change" bit from. rap has ALWAYS been about attitude. remember lil jon? there's really no technical prowess in crunk music (at least on the rapper's end), but it was a huge movement in the early 00's

Had one refrain from Bad Romance running through my head FOR THREE EFFING DAYS. Think I may end up buying Fame Monster.
    My YouTube Channel: Grim Street Grindhouse
    My Top 100 Horror Movies OF ALL TIME.

Quote Quoting Acapelli (view post)
    just want to say "tina" and "swag me out" are my favorite odd future songs

i don't know where you get this whole "sea change" bit from. rap has ALWAYS been about attitude. remember lil jon? there's really no technical prowess in crunk music (at least on the rapper's end), but it was a huge movement in the early 00's
    Maybe my comments came off more black and white than I intended. Surely OFWG aren't the first hip-hop group "getting by" mostly on attitude, but there's a difference between crunk's precise cat calls and the couple freestyle attempts in "Tina" that end in "Bah, fuck it... [chorus]." It seems designed to be off-putting, holding you at arm's length, while the crunk scene took rap's yells/shout outs and distilled them into poppy club tunes.

Listened to the other one you mentioned. Left Brain should most certainly stick to producing.

it's kind of charming how terrible of a rapper he is. as well as jasper and taco

if odd future have anything, they've certainly got personality in spades

Just discovered that Roland Orzabal's full birth name is Roland Jaime Orzabal de la Quintana.

Now if that isn't an awesome name, I don't know what is.

Weird Al, you are one classy dude.
    http://alyankovic.wordpress.com/the-gaga-saga/

Gerard Smith, bassist for TV on the Radio has died of lung cancer. Suuuuuuck.

:sad:

Quote Quoting bac0n (view post)
    Gerard Smith, bassist for TV on the Radio has died of lung cancer. Suuuuuuck.

:sad:
    Wow, that's horrible news. :sad:

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Weird Al, you are one classy dude.
    http://alyankovic.wordpress.com/the-gaga-saga/
    [youtube]fUxXKfQkswE[/youtube]

The Red Shoes (Powell, 1948)
    Manhattan Murder Mystery (Allen, 1993)
    Spring Breakers (Korine, 2012)
    Sydney (Anderson, 1996)
    El ángel exterminador (Luis Buñuel, 1963)