Page 27 of 129 FirstFirst ... 1725262728293777127 ... LastLast

Thread: Discuss the Musics Thread

Quote Quoting Milky Joe (view post)
    The Kinks are fucking awesome.
    Wats hooked you up with Duh Magazine as well?

Scott of the Antarctic Milky Joe's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Derek (view post)
    Wats hooked you up with Duh Magazine as well?
    Gimme a break, I missed the Ray Davies day in Rock History class last semester. I really regret that now.
    ‎The severed arm perfectly acquitted itself, because of the simplicity of its wishes and its total lack of doubt.

Yeah, it's really good though like their last album I find I love half the songs and am fairly indifferent to the others. Still, "Eraser" will probably make the cut for my favorite songs of '08 and they were a lot of fun to see live.
    Agreed, although I just listened to "Eraser" and think that's one of the boring songs. They're better at rocking out than being interesting. I'll prolly see them live when they come here next month although Acapelli and a few other people I know said they were shite so I don't know.

Yeah, it's really good though like their last album I find I love half the songs and am fairly indifferent to the others. Still, "Eraser" will probably make the cut for my favorite songs of '08 and they were a lot of fun to see live.
    Are you doing another list of best albums this year? I need you to tell me what to buy.

Quote Quoting Boner M (view post)
    Agreed, although I just listened to "Eraser" and think that's one of the boring songs. They're better at rocking out than being interesting. I'll prolly see them live when they come here next month although Acapelli and a few other people I know said they were shite so I don't know.
    Best songs for me are Things I Did When I Was Dead, and the last three tracks. The former is one of my favourite songs of the year for sure. I feel like every movie should end with it.
    Wishful thinking, perhaps; but that is just another possible definition of the featherless biped.

Quote Quoting Boner M (view post)
    I dunno, I thought they were fun live, but I was also really pumped that night since they were opening for Liars. I'd say they're worth seeing if coupled with another band you like, but not worth it if they're the main attraction.

Quote Quoting Melville (view post)
    Are you doing another list of best albums this year? I need you to tell me what to buy.
    Yup! I still have some more albums to get to and need to do some re-listening, but I should have the thread started up before Christmas.

Can somebody please instruct me on how to appreciate jazz music? Because seriously... I need to learn how to like that stuff.

Quote Quoting Sven (view post)
    Can somebody please instruct me on how to appreciate jazz music? Because seriously... I need to learn how to like that stuff.
    It always seems like way too much commitment. Like you have to wake up one day and say "I'm going to be a jazz enthusiast" and play your life accordingly.

Drag and drop a Charles Mingus album into ITunes, click play on track 1 and goddamnit, you appreciate it!

I am FAR from a jazz expert here, so horbo or Bacon could be much more helpful, but here are some meager recommendations of where to start:

Charles Mingus - The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady
    Charles Mingus - Pithecanthropus Erectus
    John Coltrane - A Love Supreme
    Miles Davis - Kind of Blue
    Charlie Parker - Yardbird Suite
    Eric Dolphy - Out to Lunch
    Sun Ra - Jazz in Silhouette
    Ornette Colman - The Shape of Jazz to Come
    Duke Ellington (w/Charles Mingus & Max Roach) - Money Jungle

Quote Quoting Winston* (view post)
    It always seems like way too much commitment. Like you have to wake up one day and say "I'm going to be a jazz enthusiast" and play your life accordingly.
    It's exhausting.

John Coltrane - A Love Supreme
    Miles Davis - Kind of Blue
    Eric Dolphy - Out to Lunch
    Sun Ra - Jazz in Silhouette
    Ornette Colman - The Shape of Jazz to Come
    I have all of these, but the Sun Ra album (from what.cd) has been sitting in my torrent client for a couple of days now with nobody seeding it. Sad, because I'm more enthusiastic about Sun Ra than I am any other jazz musician, really.

Also, love Tribute to Jack Johnson. Favorite jazz album. On your recommendation and the word of a friend of mine, I'll pick up some Mingus.

I may be further from a jazz-expert than Derek is, and I can't say that I am really a 'fan' of jazz, but some of my favorite all time albums are jazz, or jazz-like, albums.

I suggest the following:

Herbie Hancock - Headhunters, and Sextant
    Miles Davis - Sketches of Spain
    George Schuller - Tenor Tantrum
    Money Will Ruin Everything - Rune Grammafon sampler - a great place to start for 'new' jazz - tons of cool artists here
    The Thelonious Monk Quartet - Monk's Dream
    Soft Machine - Third - prog-jazz-fusion
    Isotope 217 - Unstable Molecule - a post-rock-jazz-fusion thing. Big in the new Chicago Jazz seen.
    Jaga Jazzist - A Living Room Hush - supreme new jazz/trip hop fusion

This is a good start. I rarely scratch the surface of jazz, and I tend to like the more spacey jazz-fusion stuff of the late 60s and 70s.

Quote Quoting Daniel Davis (view post)
    I tend to like the more spacey jazz-fusion stuff of the late 60s and 70s.
    You say this, and yet you hate Sun Ra? You crazy, man.

Hey Sven, have you ever seen/heard this?

EDIT: Much better quality version here.

You say this, and yet you hate Sun Ra? You crazy, man.
    Yep. They do nothing for me. Forgetful melodies, and I find them very sloppy. It sounds like so many of the musicians are each playing their own song - there is no cohesion. Their music sounds messy to me, and I am not a big fan of messy music.

I admire their experimentation, but musically - I don't dig.

Have sex. Seriously. That's how I got into it. Miles Davis, Kind of Blue.

Quote Quoting Russ (view post)
    Hey Sven, have you ever seen/heard this?
    I have now! It was pretty cool, though a bit of an underwhelming conclusion. Good music, though.

I have now! It was pretty cool, though a bit of an underwhelming conclusion. Good music, though.
    Watch it again on that new link I posted.

Too much responsibility Kurosawa Fan's Avatar
    Also, love Tribute to Jack Johnson. Favorite jazz album. On your recommendation and the word of a friend of mine, I'll pick up some Mingus.
    Mingus Ah Um immediately. IMMEDIATELY.

EDIT: Also, Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers' album Moanin' is amazing.

Quote Quoting Russ (view post)
    Watch it again on that new link I posted.
    I actually, the first time, watched the high-quality version that was linked to on the youtube page.

REM's Murmur is an awesome album, and the first one I've heard from the band (their Best of 1988-2003 one doesn't really count). Also I tried to get into Velvet Underground's self titled 1969 album but it just didn't click. Maybe some other time. I'm lucky to have some decent libraries to rent CDs from. Up next is Bob Dylan's Slow Train Coming and Carlos Santana's Supernatural.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

I love Slow Train Coming, but I know a lot of people disparage it for its hard-lined religious views. Thematically, I think it fits with Dylan's career and persona; he was always a bit extreme in all of his beliefs, and so it makes sense that he would be so passionate, with a tinge of religious fervor, when he first came to God. While as a Christian I don't even agree with some of the stuff Dylan says on the album, I still admire his passion and his bravery on display here.

And beyond this is the simple fact that musically, Slow Train Coming is a damn masterpiece.

Many of my favorite Dylan tracks are on this album: Precious Angel, Do Right To Me Baby, When You Gonna Wake Up, and Gotta Serve Somebody are all amazing.

Another cool jazz fusion dude to check out is Jon Hassell. His album Power Spot is awesome.

And Don Cherry's album Brown Rice. The title track is out of this world.

Oh yeah, and for some really off-the-deep-end jazz, check out John Surman. His album Private City is haunting.

And John McLaughlin's Extrapolation is awesome as well. Great jazz guitar.

His stuff with the Mahavishnu Orchestra is amazing also.

Also, for a more 'alternative' take on the jazz fusion thing, check out Dif Juz's album Extractions. It's beautiful. These dudes were on the same label as bands like the Cocteau Twins and Dead Can Dance (4AD)

For the record, "free"- "avant garde"- and "acid"- in front of "jazz" have the exact opposite of the intended tantalizing effect when it comes to recommendations. A "fusion" follow-up runs the risk as well.

Free jazz makes me either want to die or to kill. Depending on what I've eaten that day.