Page 118 of 129 FirstFirst ... 1868108116117118119120128 ... LastLast
Results 2,926 to 2,950 of 3203

Thread: Discuss the Musics Thread

I've listened to Roger Waters' Amused to Death almost every year since it was released, and each time I get back into it it continues to impress me.

Out of everything Waters has done, I think this album is his crowning achievement as an artist.

Shabazz Palaces--do I grab the new album or Black Up first?
    The Boat People - 9
    The Power of the Dog - 7.5
    The King of Pigs - 7

It's all in the caffeine EvilShoe's Avatar
    New Spoon album, guys. ritch:
    Last movies seen
    Frank: Good
    Mistaken for Strangers: Good
    Guardians of the Galaxy: Good

Last TV seasons watched

Treme (S04): Good
    The Legend of Korra (S03): Good

Currently reading
    This Side of Paradise - F. Scott Fitzgerald

Quote Quoting dreamdead (view post)
    Black Up. New album has some transcendent hip-hop on it, namely "They Come In Gold" and the suite that starts with "Soundview," but I can't shake the disappointment of not really being able to decipher much of what he's saying. I'll spend more time with Lese Majesty, but right now I prefer the clarity and immediacy of Black Up.

I found the new album a lot easier to get into.

Anyone here use Qello?

A streaming service for HD music concerts and music documentaries.

Seems pretty cool. Signed up for a month.

This is what my Oberheim sounds like.

Found this article, The American Band Championship Belt, fascinating to think about, even if I disagree with some of Hyden's selections. I can't wholly subscribe to anyone who privileges Guns n Roses over the golden era of Sonic Youth.
    The Boat People - 9
    The King of Pigs - 7

Not the biggest Tori fan anymore, but this compilation of Amos covers on her most recent tour is wonderful. The Cure cover is just lovely.
    The Boat People - 9
    The King of Pigs - 7

FYI, Sturgill Simpson just announced a shitload of new dates on his Fall/Winter tour on his website. I'm so there!
    Losing is like fertilizer: it stinks for a while, then you get used to it. (Tony, Hibbing)

Too much responsibility Kurosawa Fan's Avatar
    Quote Quoting bac0n (view post)
    FYI, Sturgill Simpson just announced a shitload of new dates on his Fall/Winter tour on his website. I'm so there!
    And none in Michigan. Bastard.

If it makes you feel any better, it's been a few years since this board has considered the topic of how awesome is the band Kitchens of Distinction. So I'll just put this here.

Losing is like fertilizer: it stinks for a while, then you get used to it. (Tony, Hibbing)

Anybody have any questions about Elton John, his life or work? For some reason I have recently become something of an Elton expert.

Quote Quoting Sven (view post)
    Anybody have any questions about Elton John, his life or work? For some reason I have recently become something of an Elton expert.
    What is the name of his chief lyricist? On a related note, how does he manage to sing so passionately words that he didn't write? Seriously, the first time someone told me he didn't write his own lyrics I was stunned.
    Stuff I've Watched out of *****

The Last Duel - ***
    Only Murders in the Building: **
    Squid Games: **.5

Quote Quoting quido8_5 (view post)
    What is the name of his chief lyricist? On a related note, how does he manage to sing so passionately words that he didn't write? Seriously, the first time someone told me he didn't write his own lyrics I was stunned.
    You are referring to Mr. Bernie Taupin, a complicated man. I think what clicks between he and John is their mutual workmanship. Neither is afraid to go through the motions. Metaphors for their own sake, cliches, free association, etc. Stuff, anything, to gel the hooks together. You are right to be stunned at EJ's ability to sell a line, though my impression is that his passion is less for the lyric and more for the gesture. The theater of rock star. The sound of boogie. The energy of percussive melody.

New Doyeq out next week.

You can listen to the whole thing here. He's gone back to his more dub-techno sound, and it's awesome.

Who Gives a Shit?

Looks like Interpol is still making music:

http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/...pol-el-pintor/
    Stuff I've Watched out of *****

The Last Duel - ***
    Only Murders in the Building: **
    Squid Games: **.5

For those Hum and like-minded 1990's rock fans who dig introspective lyrics over a wave of guitars, Arctic Sleep has released their newest release, Passage of Gaia, on their bandcamp page. It's sounding good so far, but I'll need to spend some concentrated time on it.
    The Boat People - 9
    The King of Pigs - 7

New Aphex Twin for sale and streaming.

https://bleep.com/release/53848-aphex-twin-syro

John Luther Adams's Become Ocean, which won the Pulitzer for distinguished music composition last year, is now streaming over at NPR. It's slow and droney, but encompasses huge swathes of build-up and release. It's nowhere near as iconic as Debussy's "La Mer," which commentators have drawn comparisons to, but I'm excited to explore it in the coming weeks.
    The Boat People - 9
    The King of Pigs - 7

John Luther Adams's Become Ocean, which won the Pulitzer for distinguished music composition last year, is now streaming over at NPR. It's slow and droney, but encompasses huge swathes of build-up and release. It's nowhere near as iconic as Debussy's "La Mer," which commentators have drawn comparisons to, but I'm excited to explore it in the coming weeks.
    I like Adams, but I don't hear the huge deal about his music to single out from a ton of other drone-based minimal. To me, it's pretty much the same as any other quality drone/minimal music from any number of artists. To single this out as something Pulitzer-worthy is a bit weird to me. He's good, but so are dozens and dozens of other artists working with drone, minimal and ambient music. Maybe it's because he has the interest of the intellectuals or academia or something. I don't know, but I was a little surprised to find that his work is so highly regarded.

Yes, I am so fucking sold on this. A self-aware, growing of age story by Wu-Tank? The only answer is yes to that.

http://m.pitchfork.com/news/56918-rz...album-sampler/

Listening to the new Flying Lotus on repeat here. It's so sick. BY FAR his most fusion-heavy, but the concept comes through strong and keeps it from being formless. I can't wait to spend more time with it.

A little preview of my live looping performance. I'll be performing at the Northwest Loopfest in Seattle and Portland this week. A 40-minute ambient set that will slowing evolve as it progresses. This is the first movement.

An interview with Eliane Radique, a living legend.

http://www.electronicbeats.net/en/fe...-an-interview/

Her work on the ARP 2500 represents one of the greatest examples of the musician-instrument relationship there is. She would sometimes spend months crafting a single perfect sound to use in her masterful compositions.

This might be the greatest piece of minimal-drone ever recorded: