Page 116 of 129 FirstFirst ... 1666106114115116117118126 ... LastLast
Results 2,876 to 2,900 of 3203

Thread: Discuss the Musics Thread

Beck.

Top 5 live performances I've ever seen. Although I saw him when he was still doing goofy hip hop, but his new album has some amazing tunes on it.

Too much responsibility Kurosawa Fan's Avatar
    Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Beck.

Top 5 live performances I've ever seen. Although I saw him when he was still doing goofy hip hop, but his new album has some amazing tunes on it.
    Totally agree. I saw him right after Midnight Vultures and it was a fantastic show.

I'd also prioritize Neutral Milk Hotel just because it's a rare appearance. Not sure about the quality of the show.

Next week the bar for instrumental metal will be raised yet again - new Animals as Leaders.

Tune-Yards is a good show.

Wild Beasts is terrific live imo

The Passenger (Antonioni): 9
    Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1 (Yates): 5
    Red (Schwentke): 4
    The Count of Monte Cristo (Reynolds): 5
    Cave of Forgotten Dreams (Herzog): 8
    Kick-Ass (Vaughn): 3

New AAL is mindlowing. Cannot even fathom the amount of raw talent on display here. Some of the best guitar playing and drumming ever recorded.

New AAL is mindlowing. Cannot even fathom the amount of raw talent on display here. Some of the best guitar playing and drumming ever recorded.
    Headed up to Chicagoland area tomorrow and grabbed this and the new Future Islands for the drive. Hoping that both deliver excitement and energy for the 10-hour drive.

I also must highlight the excellence of Tengger Calvary's Ancient Call. They filter the epic and grandoise anthemic nature of metal through a Chinese lens, pulling in instrumentation and themes from their native country. It and Woods of Desolation have been the premier metal acts so far this year.

The Boat People - 9
    The Power of the Dog - 7.5
    The King of Pigs - 7

Fans of contemporary ambient music, remember this name: Porya Hatami.

Been listening to the new Animals as Leaders the past couple days. It really undercuts the technical proficiency of Scale the Summit's The Migration, which I grabbed when Amazon put it on sale--while the latter band is anchored in volume with some exploration, so much of AaL is beyond the very genre of metal in terms of influence. As such, it was a bewildering first listen until the last few tracks, which are more typically metal guitar oriented. Love some of the skittish guitar effects that AaL achieve in their stop-start rhythms.

Also really been digging Hundred Waters's self-titled. Very subdued and atmospheric.

Can't say quite the same for Perfect Pussy's full length. It's got some inspired moments, but I'm hoping to find more "there" there soon. The submerged vocals are likely a detriment, though the singles quite noticeably stand out...
    The Boat People - 9
    The King of Pigs - 7

I like Scale the Summit, but they seem to me like a high school band when compared to Animals as Leaders. The technical display on the new AAL is stunning. AAL is just on a different level when compared to other "metal" bands.

Scott of the Antarctic Milky Joe's Avatar
    New Golden Retriever album is fucking phenomenal.

‎The severed arm perfectly acquitted itself, because of the simplicity of its wishes and its total lack of doubt.

Quote Quoting dreamdead (view post)
    So the full Pitchfork Festival line-up is below. Already saw St. Vincent last weekend, but what here should be prioritized in terms of performance quality...? Originally purchased the weekend passes to see Sun Kil Moon, Slowdive, Grimes, and Kendrick, but welcome thoughts on the other performers.
    Definitely check out Circulatory System. One of the best Elephant 6 bands.
    ‎The severed arm perfectly acquitted itself, because of the simplicity of its wishes and its total lack of doubt.

This is your reminder for 2014 that this exists.

My little sister absolutely loves those schmucks. She's paying a truckload of money to see them live and hang out with them after their show. It's really embarrassing.

I'm so sorry.

Every year I check out the old krunkcore stuff just to make sure that it actually exists IRL, and wasn't just part of some terrible nightmare.

The Bloody Beetroots: HIDE is pretty much fantastic.

This is your reminder for 2014 that this exists.

I hadn't heard this song until just now. It's like if the song "Every Rose Has its Thorn" rolled around in horse shit, vomited on itself, passed out in the gutter, woke up in the morning, stumbled into traffic and got hit by a fucking bus.

[
    ]

[
    ]
    First of all, where the fuck did that spoiler text come from? Second, at least this last band has a talented musician. Still ultra-terrible, but that was worth mentioning after the first two videos.

That spoiler text is the first comment on YouTube.

this is my cousin's band. their fans are exclusively 12-14 year old girls. it's strange.

Out of curiosity, I picked up Bikini Kill's Pussy Whipped and Liz Phair's Exile to Guysville. This stuff is really good, especially the Phair album, which makes for great driving music. Was surprised by how solid the music is given that it's spread out over 18 tracks. I know that the Phair record was celebrated fairly regularly after its release, but it holds up far better than many of its contemporaries... rather saddened that it doesn't regularly get even more press.
    The Boat People - 9
    The King of Pigs - 7

All right, I'm kind of making my way around the boards now. I posted back in the day and have been keeping up remotely. With that said, has anyone checked out Memoryhouse by Max Richter? As a piece, it's incredible, but there are also some stellar stand out tracks that are arrestingly beautiful.

I've also been impressed with the staying power of two seemingly slight albums: Mac Demarco and Frankie Cosmos. The former has some of the most pleasant music I've heard in a while. I could listen to that shit on repeat as the soundtrack to my life. It'd be super chill, but easy to ignore. Thus, the problem. My life would be the life of a stoner and that's, well, ummm, that.

Frankie could easily be cloying but she's so self aware and makes some deft instrumental decisions throughout this 22 minute album. As of right now, I'm not seeing much that can compete with Sun Kil Moon, though I haven't listened to EMA's latest.

Thinking about re-releases, though, Mobb Depp's The Infamous has been absent in my life for far too long and I'm glad that I finally listened to the entire album. Shook Ones Pt II is so devastating and distinctive, I didn't think I needed more. Damn, was I wrong about that. The entire album is astonishing and unflinching. One small, but notable distinction: I think it has possibly the best "preludes" (segues/skits) of any rap album I've heard. The "Infamous Prelude" is the realist shit and I think everyone could benefit from listening to it- if for no other reason than to get a better grasp on what it was (and is) like to be a black male in the City.