Results 2,601 to 2,625 of 3203

Thread: Discuss the Musics Thread

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Fucking hilarious.

Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Without seeing the interviewer's face, and the fact that none of the interviewees repeat the names of the bands back, I'm inclined to think that its faked in post. Is that the joke?

Really dig the first two tracks, DD. The second track feels very rooted in a mid-80s kind of ambient vibe with the keyboard notes. I hope to spend some time tomorrow with the tracks more.

Meantime, can anyone identify an essential/favorite Ravi Shankar album? Interested in the texture and styles he explores, and I'd think someone on these boards could put my toward a quality album of his...
    The Boat People - 9
    The Power of the Dog - 7.5
    The King of Pigs - 7

Sarah's looking at getting me a three-day pass to the Pitchfork Music Festival this summer for my birthday. The line-up is here. People: which acts here give solid performances...?
    The Boat People - 9
    The King of Pigs - 7

Quote Quoting dreamdead (view post)
    Really dig the first two tracks, DD. The second track feels very rooted in a mid-80s kind of ambient vibe with the keyboard notes. I hope to spend some time tomorrow with the tracks more.
    Thanks for listening, dd.

That track does have an early 80s vibe, thanks to the warm analog sounds and the arpeggio sequence. The next album - Delta Sunrise - will be even more in this style.

really loving this new chance the rapper mixtape. this kid is definitely going places

click the artwork to download. think ewo might like it

Gushing Prayer Kurious Jorge v3.1's Avatar
    Quote Quoting dreamdead (view post)
    Sarah's looking at getting me a three-day pass to the Pitchfork Music Festival this summer for my birthday. The line-up is here. People: which acts here give solid performances...?
    I have only seen Yo La Tengo and Killer Mike (twice) live and they are both stellar live acts.

Arrebato (Zulueta - '80) 89
    Elegia (Huszarik - '65) 95
    Szinbad (Huszarik - '71) 77
    Temptation of St. Tony (Ounpuu - '09) 80
    Marguriete of the Night (Autant-Lara - '55)62
    Kadin Hamlet (Erksan - '77) 52
    Passion of a Darkly Noon (Ridley - '94) 79
    Endangered Species (Rudolph - '82) 65
    Made in Heaven (Rudolph -'87) 20
    High Hopes (Leigh - '88) 74

[/COLOR]

Is it me or is this kinda... good? Davis?

Honest opinion - it's lazy, and it makes people think that making good sounding ambient music is easy.

It's just a program called Paul's Extreme Stretch, it's a free audio program that anyone can use. Throw in a song, select how slow or long you want it to be, process, and done.

When it first hit a bunch of people were talking shit, saying how easy it is to make good ambient music, an I don't agree. This one gimmick got about a hundred thousand more Youtube views than all of the other ambient artist's hard work combined, and I think it hurt the genre quite a bit because there were blogs talking about easy it is to make ambient-style music now.

Does it sound cool? Yeah! I used to use PES quite a bit back in the day when my music was more drone-based, and it's fun to see what happens. Some people have stretched songs to play for 24 hours. It's a very cool program that is a lot of fun to experiment with.

http://hypermammut.sourceforge.net/paulstretch/

Gad, I remember the days when dj's and mc's used to haul their sequencers and samplers over miles of snow to get to their studios, only to have to deal with these kids and their "stretcher" apps. Fuck! What's the world coming to?

Ambient: it may be cold and barren, but by God it was real.
    "We eventually managed to find them near Biskupin, where demonstrations of prehistoric farming are organized. These oxen couldn't be transported to anywhere else, so we had to built the entire studio around them. A scene that lasted twenty-something seconds took us a year and a half to prepare."

Quote Quoting Russ (view post)
    Gad, I remember the days when dj's and mc's used to haul their sequencers and samplers over miles of snow to get to their studios, only to have to deal with these kids and their "stretcher" apps. Fuck! What's the world coming to?

Ambient: it may be cold and barren, but by God it was real.
    If it's not made with reel-to-reel tape, it's not real, man!

I've been listening to David Bowie's Outside a lot recently. It's always been one of my favorite Bowie albums, and one of my favorite albums in general, and my appreciation for it grows with each passing year. Bowie said that he wanted to capture the unease of the end of the 20th century with the album, and he totally nailed it. The album is full of paranoia and fellings of dark conspiracy that defined the years between 1995 and 2000. It's as if he and Eno took the best moods, themes, and atmosphere from the X-Files, Art Bell's Coast to Coast, and Seven, and used that extract to create an album that still, to this day, sounds vibrant, modern, and edgy. So much of the industrial and "edgy" music of the time (NIN, Skinny Puppy, etc.) sounds dated and old (except for Skinny Puppy's Last Rites, an all-time industrial classic), but Bowie and Eno completely nailed the sound - Outside is simultaneously nostalgic, of its time, and forward thinking.

So much of the industrial and "edgy" music of the time (NIN, Skinny Puppy, etc.) sounds dated and old (except for Skinny Puppy's Last Rites, an all-time industrial classic)
    Gah! Must I rep you again? I couldn't agree more with this ref to Last Rites, a seriously incredible work of soundsculpting.
    "We eventually managed to find them near Biskupin, where demonstrations of prehistoric farming are organized. These oxen couldn't be transported to anywhere else, so we had to built the entire studio around them. A scene that lasted twenty-something seconds took us a year and a half to prepare."

Quote Quoting Russ (view post)
    Gah! Must I rep you again? I couldn't agree more with this ref to Last Rites, a seriously incredible work of soundsculpting.
    It's a masterpiece. One of the most creative sounding albums I've ever heard. Some of the audio trickery that goes on is simply mind melting.

The new Talib is pretty... terrible. There is no cohesiveness to speak of, each track seems to be sampling a different style and not doing much with it. I never thought I'd say it, but the guy I've always considered the best lyricist in rap is continually getting upstaged by his guests. Curren$y and Kendrick Lamar make Talib feel every bit of 37 years old. It's a shame, hopefully the new Blackstar album is better than this.

Quote Quoting Acapelli (view post)

click the artwork to download. think ewo might like it
    This, on the other hand. I'm three tracks in, and pretty positive this is going to be one of the best things I hear this year.

Quote Quoting ledfloyd (view post)
    The new Talib is pretty... terrible. There is no cohesiveness to speak of, each track seems to be sampling a different style and not doing much with it. I never thought I'd say it, but the guy I've always considered the best lyricist in rap is continually getting upstaged by his guests. Curren$y and Kendrick Lamar make Talib feel every bit of 37 years old. It's a shame, hopefully the new Blackstar album is better than this.
    dude's way too far gone up his own ass to be good/relevant. i'd say the same for mos...yasiin bey

and acid rap may be my favorite thing released this year so far. definitely my favorite rap thing

Quote Quoting Acapelli (view post)
    and acid rap may be my favorite thing released this year so far. definitely my favorite rap thing
    Yeah, I just finished my first listen through and went right back to track one. Amazing.

After the Hum-sounding Arctic Sleep and Matt Talbott-helmed Centaur, I finished out my Hum-related purchases with Glifted's lone album (helmed by Tim Lash, Hum's other guitarist). Exploring guitar soundscapes from both a repetitive ambient sense as well as MBV-noise driven tracks, it makes for a fascinating listen. Never would have pegged Lash as the experimental player in the group, but the album really works. Love the layers of guitar on the track below:

The Boat People - 9
    The King of Pigs - 7

dd - you like Quicksand?

I've been listening to OMD all morning. Man, Dazzle Ships is such a cool sounding album. Totally disjointed - it's easy to tell that it was assembled from dozens of fragments - and so adventurous.

dd - you like Quicksand?
    I remember looking into them when they did their reunion show last year. I haven't heard much of 'em, I know that. The material on their second album (that I'm currently listening to on youtube) is more my style, but there's a dryness about their guitar sound that is a bit off-putting initially. It's likely that that's more a lack of familiarity than anything else, but I typically like a warmer guitar sound. I think that's the distinction between punk and metal, despite the myriad post- labels. Punk leans toward a drier quality, whereas metal leans toward the warmer tones.
    The Boat People - 9
    The King of Pigs - 7

They were very raw - didn't hide behind reverb and delay. I always thought of them as a more indie-sounding Helmet, or a more metal-sounding Fugazi. Both albums are brilliant.

Another often-overlooked band you might like is Arcwelder, especially if you like Sugar and Bob Mould.

In the belly of a whale Henry Gale's Avatar
    After two listens, I really, genuinely like Random Access Memories, but I'm already kinda dreading the inevitable reaction to it.

The over-the-top anticipation of this album from everyone expecting a NEW DAFT PUNK ALBUM the way their first three albums sonically dictate is going to rub a significant portion of fans wrong way, from casual to die-hards. It basically sounds like the soundtrack Electroma was meant to be a visual companion to, with fragments of a Nile Rodgers, Pharrell / Paul Williams-assisted rock opera sprinkled in.

It's far from perfect, but the highs it does hit are as expansive and enthralling as anything they've ever concocted. And somehow, Get Lucky, as much as it still completely makes sense as the first single, almost feels somber in the context of the album.

-----
    EDIT: I should note that it's streaming in its entirety on their iTunes page for those that might have trouble tracking it down in more typical leak fashion.
    Last 11 things I really enjoyed:

Speed Racer (Wachowski/Wachowski, 2008)
    Safe (Haynes, 1995)
    South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut (Parker, 1999)
    Beastie Boys Story (Jonze, 2020)
    Bad Trip (Sakurai, 2020)
    What's Up Doc? (Bogdanovich, 1972)
    Diva (Beineix, 1981)
    Delicatessen (Caro/Jeunet, 1991)
    The Hunger (Scott, 1983)
    Pineapple Express (Green, 2008)
    Chungking Express (Wong, 1994)