Page 126 of 129 FirstFirst ... 2676116124125126127128 ... LastLast
Results 3,126 to 3,150 of 3203

Thread: Discuss the Musics Thread

Great song.

At first blush I think mine are Lotus Flower by Radiohead or First Time Ever I Saw Your Face by Erykah Badu and the Flaming Lips. Apparently I'm stuck in the late 90s.

Here's some music a really like so far this year. More guitar-y stuff than last.

Against All Logic
    Mount Eerie
    Organ Tapes
    Shopping
    MGMT
    Soccer Mommy
    Amen Dunes
    Peggy Gou
    Albert Hammond Jr
    Screaming Females
    Beach House

Been spending the last week or so digging into Frightened Rabbit's discography. Not the biggest fan of coming to a band after the main musician commits suicide, but that resonance makes FR's music far more impactful. Melancholy stuff throughout... so far, Midnight Organ Fight is the standout, but I hope to get to their following two releases soon.

Otherwise, this is what's been intriguing me from this year so far:
    The Atlas Moth
    Beach House
    Half Waif
    Janelle Monae
    Mount Eerie
    Mournful Congregation
    US Girls
    The Boat People - 9
    The Power of the Dog - 7.5
    The King of Pigs - 7

Kanye's been busy lately. The five mini-albums in five weeks thing will no-doubt be a big talking point this year, though the critical and audience reaction has been kind of mixed. Seven tracks/~24 minutes for an "album" is a little short for me, but whatever--there was still some great music.

1. Teyana Taylor - Keep The Same Energy
    2. Kanye West - Ye
    3. Pusha T - Daytona
    4. Kanye and Cudi - Kids See Ghosts
    5. Nas - Nasir

Favorite songs of 2018 so far:

"Life" - Saba
    "Gonna Love Me" - Teyana Taylor
    "My Jesus Phase" - Eleanor Friedberger
    "Unlock It" - Charli XCX
    "Don’t Miss It"/"If The Car Beside You Moves Ahead" - James Blake
    "Ponyboy" - Sophie
    "February 3rd" - Jorja Smith
    "Believe" - Amen Dunes
    "High Horse" - Kacey Musgraves
    "Pearly Gates" - U.S. Girls

Attended Hinterland fest in Iowa last weekend. First time hearing Tyler Childers. Haven't been this excited about a new artist since Sturgill.

Losing is like fertilizer: it stinks for a while, then you get used to it. (Tony, Hibbing)

Scott of the Antarctic Milky Joe's Avatar
    One of my favorite acts is David Nance from Omaha. Blown out country-tinged soulful rock n roll. He has a new album coming out with a track called "Poison" available for streaming and it's great. Check it out, along with everything else he's done.

https://davidnance.bandcamp.com/albu...y-pulverized-2
    ‎The severed arm perfectly acquitted itself, because of the simplicity of its wishes and its total lack of doubt.

Howdy, partners - i'm putting together a spottily list consisting of western songs to provide some, shall we say, ambiance for a wild west - themed board game I have arriving in a few weeks.

I was able to wrangle about 99 songs, but I sure could go for more ideas - especially from female artists. It's pretty male heavy at this point.

Anywho, here it is, enjoy, and feedback would be most appreciated.

https://open.spotify.com/user/127996...EcLYNHAHjE6Nvl
    Losing is like fertilizer: it stinks for a while, then you get used to it. (Tony, Hibbing)

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Might I suggest... (or too harmonized?)

Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

good suggestion - I already have a few Westworld songs on there. I will see if Spotify has that one.

Sounds like a stagecoach to me.

Added!

I just discovered Babymetal last week, and now I'm completely obsessed.

If you appreciate Babymetal, you should appreciate the even more fantastic Haru Nemuri:

She's like a more consistent Grimes--and I say this as a Grimes fan--willing to keep experimenting with musical styles and vocal approaches.
    The Boat People - 9
    The Power of the Dog - 7.5
    The King of Pigs - 7

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    Excellent. Their song about chocolate is good clean rocky fun.

Lately I've been finding real enjoyment out of female-led pop-rock outfits. Examples include Metric, Meg Myers, Sky Ferreira, Florence and the Machine. I've liked Yeah Yeah Yeahs for a good while. Anybody have recommendations along those lines?

Last edited by Dead & Messed Up; 09-27-2018 at 06:33 AM.

Discuss the Musics Thread

A lot of these are probably more rock than pop, but screw it you know?

The Naked and Famous
    Elastica
    Whale
    Tilly and the Wall
    Sleater-Kinney
    The Fiery Furnaces
    Jaurim
    Garbage
    The Delgados
    Cansei De Ser Sexy
    Skunk Anansie
    Sleigh Bells
    The Breeders
    The Amps
    Electrelane
    Deerhoof
    Headless Chickens
    Haim
    The Runaways
    Rilo Kiley
    Hole
    Tune-Yards
    Babes in Toyland
    L7
    Bikini Kill
    Bat for Lashes
    Blonde Redhead
    Concrete Blonde
    Last edited by transmogrifier; 09-27-2018 at 09:05 AM.
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

I know some of those names but will take a look at the rest. What would be your top three picks of those?

Thanks!

Quote Quoting Dead & Messed Up (view post)
    Excellent. Their song about chocolate is good clean rocky fun.
    Oh yeah, that was their first one I heard. Someone on another forum randomly brought it up, and after checking it out and digging it, and checking out a few more things of theirs, before I knew it, I was completely hooked.

I just love how positive and innocent their music is, and the sheer number of genres they blend together in some of their songs, all the while maintaining both a clear metal inspiration, as well as a very anime-ish vibe to their music, which carries over into their performances. They're just such a breath of fresh air, and pure escapism bliss. Like, I think by the time I got around to this song about freaking hide and seek of all things, with the outstanding choreography to boost, I was completely sold on them:

Watching their performances is just mesmerizing, how they're able to consistently move around at that pace and maintain that level of energy and sing at that level night in and night out without missing a beat. But what I especially appreciate about them is, they're more than just a cute gimmick. They're totally a legit metal band, too, and these live performances are some of the most kick ass things I've seen in the genre:

And this, which won't post: https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5ggoil

It's been years since I've been to a concert, but I so wanna go to one of theirs.

Some of my favorite female-led pop-rock bands ATM not already mentioned:

The Joy Formidable
    K.Flay
    Wolf Alice
    Chvrches
    Lucious
    Tash Sultana (tho technically Tash is non-binary)

So I recently received my first Babymetal DVD, which was from their 2 night Budokan show, which was essentially their last really big show in Japan just before they branched off on a more international level with their first European tour. So that was an interesting context to watch this in I felt.

For instance, it's interesting to see how probably their biggest international hit, Gimme Chocolate, was treated as just another song on this show, as it's really not regarded as one of their more popular songs in Japan. Meanwhile, when performed internationally, they almost always play the song somewhere in the set-list where it's clear there's more importance being placed on it, and usually have a call-and-respond moment with the crowd, but no such thing here. In fact, it was sorta interesting that they didn't have such a moment in any of their songs on these shows really, since that's usually a big thing they like to do, is really interact with the crowds and make them a part of the show.

But anyways, as to the shows themselves, the first night was Red Night, and this one was notable for two reasons to me. One, I always find it interesting when they place Babymetal Death later in the show, as opposed to opening with it, as it's so clearly (and quite literally) an introductory track. Here, they placed it third to last, which was, again, interesting, but didn't quite work in that spot. The only other show so far where I've seen them place it later was on the more recent Legend S, where it was the second to last song. There though, it actually did work, as the song was used as a really dark lead in to that show's closer, The One.

The more notable thing about this show, however, was the two big accidents that took place on the last two songs. Yuimetal fell off the stage halfway through the song Headbanger, and the other two had to finish the rest of the song without her. Between songs, the crowd were chanting for Yui, and they actually got the biggest reaction of the night when the lights came back on, and she was back on stage again for the last song.

But then for the final song, Ijime, Dame, Zettai, Moametal sprained her ankle at the very beginning, and you can see it on her face throughout the entire rest of the song that she's seriously in total agony. And yet she still powered through, and didn't half ass it at all, running around and jumping and dancing like nothing had happened, even if you could see her sweating and tearing up in her eyes from the pain she was clearly enduring. And keep in mind, at the time this show took place, these girls were both 14 years old, and yet they still soldiered on and gave it their all. The sheer work ethic and professionalism displayed by this group is simply astounding and inspiring. Like, I know so many full grown adults who don't even have a quarter of the amount of drive and work ethic as these three girls do. Hell, I've seen so many countless other bands live that would've cut their set short for far, far less.

All that said, Red Night was mostly notable as a rare instance when things were really off for the band, and is actually pretty uncomfortable to watch because of it. It's really hard to get into the songs when I'm sitting there just concerned for the girls on stage and worried about what they might be going through.

Next up was Black Night, and this was a much better all around show. The set list was changed up, and they indeed opened with Babymetal Death this time out. And while most of the set consisted of songs from their first album, they actually busted out a couple of surprises, including a rendition of their cover of Kimi to Anime Ga Mitai (and the best version of that song I've heard to date at that), as well as an early rendition of No Rain, No Rainbow. The latter was notable because it really showed just how much Su-metal's voice has changed in the four years since this performance. Here, her voice was still much higher pitched compared to when she performs now.

So those were a couple of neat surprises to see here. And the rest of the show was a blast as well. A big standout includes the Yui and Moa song titled Song 4, which on the album isn't exactly the best song on there, but holy shit do those two put on a fucking clinic of a show for this song live.

As for Uki Uki Midnight, this show took place before Su was singing the whispered parts live, which is a bit of a shame, because damn is it sick when she does that. But she really killed it here too on this night with her own solos, including a real kick ass performance of Rondo of Nightmare. This song also featured the Kami Band having one of several moments in the night where the spotlight was shined on them for some solos of their own, and I got a real kick out of how many times they switched up guitars throughout the night. Their bassist and one of their guitarists swapped out twice, and their other guitarist swapped instruments at least three times that I counted. I don't know if that's a common thing for bands to do at live shows, to swap out instruments between songs, but I just found that real interesting as I was noticing it throughout the shows.

Also interesting to note was how the show ended, where they initially closed out with Ijime, Dame, Zettai again, and even did their whole schtick where they say their farewells to the crowd. And I was real confused for a moment, because I knew there was supposed to be a real awesome rendition of Headbanger on this show, yet it hadn't happened yet. But then after a video played, the girls came back out for an encore, which I hadn't seen them do at any of their other shows I've seen thus far, and they actually played two more songs, including Doki Doki Morning, which just put the biggest god damn smile on my face, as well as that aforementioned epic rendition of Headbanger to truly close things out.

All in all, Black Night was a fucking awesome show, and definitely an improvement over the previous night. And it's real interesting to see how this show differs from some of their later shows, after they've become more of an international act (I've seen lots of individual songs from earlier performances, but most of their full concerts I've seen so far have been from their later years). So overall, I'm pleased with this purchase.

Hey gang - sorry to say - if you don't like the new Guided By Voices' Album, Space Gun, then Rock & Roll, well, it might just be not for you.

May I present Minneapolis' latest gift to the world, J.S. Ondara. (well, Minneapolis by way of Nairobi)

You're welcome.

So Babymetal has announced their next album to be released in October, and they've released a handful of new songs as well, showing signs of their next album experimenting with a lot of different regional musical styles from around the world.

Here's the video for their new single, Pa Pa Ya (which is ridiculous how quickly they put this out. The concert this footage was filmed at took place not even 48 full hours prior to this video's release. Fuck me that's some turn around right there!)

Sporting a very Latin sounding style, this is just such a fun damn song, and watching the live version is seriously like watching a party on stage. And it's so freaking catchy at that. This song is like a stampede, and it's so freaking awesome. (And I love how this also just so happens to be a song about salad. The most kick ass song about salad ever. )

And then there's this one that's getting quite a bit of attention, currently untitled but which fans are calling "Shanti":

This is another really fun one, and at this particular festival, this new song was definitely among those that really won over the crowd, and I could see it having the potential to take off as a big hit if they decide to release it as a single. Su's freaking vocals in this are my current obsession, that she not only pulls off this foreign style to her, but pulls it off as flawlessly as she does, is nothing short of astounding. She's seriously outdoing herself the way she's manipulating her voice in these songs to match their regional styles, and she's seemingly setting out to prove that she really is the best damn singer in the whole world.

And since we're apparently only allowed to share 2 videos per post...

This one doesn't have any clean footage available yet, but it's definitely a kick ass new song as well, and from what we can make out here, the choreography looks absolutely sick!! (song starts at 1:40):

Dubbed "Arcadia" by fans until it receives a title as well, this is just a gut punch of a song, and a hell of a way to open a show. You can hear the audience's reaction after the first chorus, where they erupt in collective excitement at the realization they're witnessing something truly special here. Like Road of Resistance, it has a very Dragonforce sort of feel to it (and I'd be curious if they legitimately collaborated with them again for this track). But this is a song that just reaches out straight to the heart, and I can't get enough of it. Can not wait for a cleaner version.