Page 128 of 129 FirstFirst ... 2878118126127128129 LastLast
Results 3,176 to 3,200 of 3203

Thread: Discuss the Musics Thread

Pantheon, S2 (C. Silverstein, 2023) ☆
    Pantheon, S1 (C. Silverstein, 2022)
    Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garc?a (S. Peckinpah, 1974)
    Crouching Tiger, Hidden, Dragon (A. Lee, 2000)
    Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer (J. McNaughton, 1986) ☆
    Blowup (M. Antonioni, 1966) ☆
    Io capitano (M. Garrone, 2023) ☆
    Raging Bull (M. Scorsese, 1980)
    Network (S. Lumet, 1976) ☆
    Sideways (A. Payne, 2004) ☆

First time ☆

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    Hmmm. Best music video of all time? Off the top of my head....

Pearl Jam - Do the Evolution
    Green Day - Walking Contradiction
    Ok go - this too shall pass
    Beastie Boys - Sabotage
    Michael Jackson - Thriller
    Hurt by Johnny Cash.

First time ☆

Stuff I've Watched out of *****

The Last Duel - ***
    Only Murders in the Building: **
    Squid Games: **.5

I support Sufjan grieving the loss of his father however he wants, but my personal excitement level for 2.5 hours of sad ambient music from him (excuse me, "five sonic cycles") is low. I think I'm a little Sufjan-ed out. But I still play the old hits.

Quote Quoting Idioteque Stalker (view post)
    I support Sufjan grieving the loss of his father however he wants, but my personal excitement level for 2.5 hours of sad ambient music from him (excuse me, "five sonic cycles") is low. I think I'm a little Sufjan-ed out. But I still play the old hits.
    I agree with that, although I probably will listen (albeit with low expectations). I always admire that he swings for the fences and he's batting .500 from what I can see. When he does hit, though, it is typically a home run (technically I think Seven Swans gets to third base, but I think we're all tired of this extended metaphor).

The Last Duel - ***

Quote Quoting quido8_5 (view post)
    Seven Swans gets to third base
    As evidenced by "Casimir Pulaski Day" [
    ] when Sufjan is in full Christian mode (like on Seven Swans) he doesn't go to third base. In fact, he only makes it to first, then contemplates stealing second before chickening out.

Got caught in a Velvet Underground hole and realized that they really are peerless. Their self-titled (sans Nico) can stand up to any album. Listened to Murder Mystery with headphones for the first time in forever and that song fucking rocks. The dichotic listening is less than a chore than I remembered, since I could tune in to either ear and be entertained, while simultaneously appreciating all the amazing precipitation in the background, music swelling up to meet the few melodic bars. Great shit right there.

The Last Duel - ***

Just finished Loaded. Could be Lou Reed's best solo album, but thank God he still has his bandmates to anchor him to the fringe. The contributions of the other members are crucial for making this more than a great rock album. Each song over-stays its welcome just enough to make it an odd, uniquely VU party.

Listening to Transformer now, for maybe the third time, and it is good. Really good. If it wasn't Lou Reed, don't know how I'd feel about it. As it is, it just seems like Lou is working too hard. So many of the hooks, lyrics, and production are superfluous and uninteresting. Of course, it has two, maybe three, of the best songs written in the last century. So there's that.
    Last edited by quido8_5; 07-02-2021 at 03:48 AM.

The Last Duel - ***

Finished Transformer and it definitely resonates with the Almost Famous rendering: he's trying to be Bowie, he should just be himself. At the same time, I don't see us getting that, incredible, version of Satellite of Love without Bowie. Very nearly worth it, but most of the album is a bunch of concessions for the frontman of one the most unonventional bands of all time to portray himself as a pop star. There are also the lines that I'd say are transphobic, which may be a little bit of projection given Reed's biography.
    Last edited by quido8_5; 07-02-2021 at 03:38 AM.

The Last Duel - ***

Quote Quoting quido8_5 (view post)
    Finished Transformer and it definitely resonates with the Almost Famous rendering: he's trying to be Bowie, he should just be himself. At the same time, I don't see us getting that, incredible, version of Satellite of Love without Bowie. Very nearly worth it, but most of the album is a bunch of concessions for the frontman of one the most unonventional bands of all time to portray himself as a pop star. There are also the lines that I'd say are transphobic, which may be a little bit of projection given Reed's biography.
    Can't wait for your thoughts on Berlin.

First time ☆

She's My Baby by Mazzy Star is the greatest song that Led Zeppelin did not cover. Whenever I listen to this one I imagine Robert Plant singing it.

Just FYI, this happened: https://www.chicagotribune.com/enter...pim-story.html

"Kanye West gives fans a remarkable, bonkers experience at Soldier Field ‘Donda’ listening party with Marilyn Manson, DaBaby and Kim Kardashian"

The Last Duel - ***

I'm the problem it's me DFA1979's Avatar
    I love The Velvet Underground. I haven't heard any of Lou Reed's solo efforts.
    Blog!

And it's happened once again
    I'll turn to a friend
    Someone that understands
    And sees through the master plan
    But everybody's gone
    And I've been here for too long
    To face this on my own
    Well, I guess this is growing up

Good God, this new Yola album is an absolute delight.
    Losing is like fertilizer: it stinks for a while, then you get used to it. (Tony, Hibbing)

Quote Quoting Philip J. Fry (view post)
    I listened to that one two months ago. It is great. Nosferatu Man should be used in a horror movie.
    Blog!

I'll turn to a friend
    Someone that understands
    But everybody's gone
    To face this on my own

Quote Quoting DFA1979 (view post)
    I haven't heard any of Lou Reed's solo efforts.
    Varying results, but none boring (that I've heard).

Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    Varying results, but none boring (that I've heard).
    I'm guessing his 70s and 80s stuff is probably his best solo wise.
    Blog!

I'll turn to a friend
    Someone that understands
    But everybody's gone
    To face this on my own

Way into Donda.

Quote Quoting DFA1979 (view post)
    I'm guessing his 70s and 80s stuff is probably his best solo wise.
    I legit love Street Hassle, but it can be a hard listen. The title track is a beautiful, deeply disturbing master piece. The Blue Mask is good, but inconsistent.

The Last Duel - ***

Quote Quoting Idioteque Stalker (view post)
    Way into Donda.
    Okay, it's been a week of non-stop Donda for me and I need to get my thoughts down in case Kanye reworks the album entirely.

First of all, I can see why it's had a mixed reception (53 from critics on metacritic, 6.6 from users): the Manson/DaBaby yuckiness, multiple delays, being ~45 minutes too long... and then of course everything else that annoys people about Kanye West these days. Frankly, these things don't harm the experience for me as much as they seem to for others. Don't care about the delays -- after all, Kanye records as of late have been works in progress anyway, so even after release they're not guaranteed to be "finished." The Manson/DaBaby thing is easy to ignore for me because they're both on a bonus track ("Jail pt 2") that I don't really consider part of the album and I never listen to. Speaking of bonus tracks, the last four songs (all the pt 2s) equal 25 of the 40-45 minutes that need to be cut imo -- once you realize the tracklist actually ends with "No Child Left Behind," Donda feels far less overlong than I feared it would the first time I saw the outrageous runtime.

With that out of the way... the music. Oh my good God in heaven, the music! As good on a Sunday morning as it is on a Saturday night. If you don't think Kanye is a genius by now, this won't be the album to change your mind (unless you're particularly intrigued by gospel creeping into the hip-hop space a la Chance the Rapper or "Ultralight Beams"). If you've been lovingly following his career, however, it would be a bleepity-bleep shame to let the length of the album or its mixed reception keep you from this embarrassment of riches. Not every song hits, sure, but who in their right mind would write off The White Album just because "Birthday," "Long, Long, Long," and "Revolution 9" are less than highlights? Donda may not be perfect, but it has some of the most vulnerable, emotionally potent, and just plain beautiful music Kanye has ever released.

Kanye the rapper may not destroy every verse like he did during the 2000s, but he's thankfully excised his 2010s habit of sprinkling incredibly stupid lines to and fro across the album. The ride is smoother than it has been in a long time. And his singing! Apparently living in and around gospel music has sharpened his technique a bit, because "Believe What I Say," "24," "Lord I Need You," and "Come to Life" are all sing-first songs in which Kanye is in total sincerity mode, and his voice has never sounded better. Others bring the vocal heat too: Roddy Ricch has maybe the album's best feature on "Pure Souls" with a full-on singing verse, some guy named Vory is all over the album with fantastic hooks, and even Kid Kudi (whose voice I usually do not like) gives a restrained performance on "Moon" -- possibly the most densely packed moment of pure beauty in Kanye's entire discography, in which vocal loops flutter around like angel wings lifting you toward the heavens.

Kanye the producer does not seem to be in groundbreaking territory here, but fans will enjoy plenty of call-backs to previous sounds, and (considering how the game always seems to shift slightly according to innovations which may or may not be apparent upon release) I'd be a fool to predict Donda doesn't send out ripples of influence for years to come. But, yeah, it's neither the unprecedented and grandiose display of something like Late Registration/MBDTF nor the 180-degree stylistic mindmelt of something like 808s/Yeezus. It's just a very large collection of mostly good-to-great songs, featuring a whole helluva lot of organ, and it's probably more cohesive than you expect. I do wish more of the myriad features were less expected and pulled from sources outside the current hip-hop landscape (remember back when the Justin Vernon/Kanye collabs blew everyone's mind?), but Kanye's knack for unleashing younger artist's true potential is nevertheless on full display.

I'll admit, among Donda's many highs exist a few lows, which is why it's so key that Kanye sticks the landing with an incredible string of closing tracks in "Lord I Need You," "Pure Souls," "Come to Life," and "No Child Left Behind." With the way his life has gone lately, to hear him close the album by repeating the phrase "He's done miracles on me" is nothing short of a revelation -- despite everything, Kanye continues to direct praise and thanks to God... but also manages to remind us that he himself is pretty great too.

Now, some lists!

[
    ]
    Last edited by Idioteque Stalker; 09-10-2021 at 12:46 AM.

My brain all day today: Body-ody-ody-ody-ody-ody-ody-ody-ody-ody-ody-ody-ody-ody-ody. Ah. Body-ody-ody-ody-ody-ody-ody-ody-ody-ody-ody-ody-ody-ody-ody-ody.

Stupid freaking catchy song. Grrr!
    My YouTube Channel: Grim Street Grindhouse
    My Top 100 Horror Movies OF ALL TIME.

I gave Donda one listen and that was it for me. West lost me around Life of Pablo and I have not found a way back. Basically, MBDTF and Yeezus are untouchable and I'll listen to them for ever, Graduation and Late Registration are alright, and I'll leave them on if they come up on album shuffle, Life of Pablo has a couple of tracks in my Best Songs playlist, but I never listen to the full album anymore, and the rest is just.... not for me.
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

So... Rolling Stone claims Gasolina is the 50th best song of all time? Can't say if they're idiots or if they're trolling.

First time ☆

Quote Quoting Philip J. Fry (view post)
    So... Rolling Stone claims Gasolina is the 50th best song of all time? Can't say if they're idiots or if they're trolling.
    Just heard it for the first time. Not gonna lie, the song goes hard. I don't put much stock in RS's lists, so not gonna think too hard about its high placement. (Added benefit of leading me back to Bad Bunny through their collab on last year's excellent YHLQMDLG.)

I've hardly listened to any new music in over a year. My friends think there's something wrong because it's very much not like me. There's nothing wrong -- I just haven't been feeling it for whatever reason. But it's nearly October, and if I've learned anything about music over the years it's that sometimes you have to dig deep and listen to a lot in order to find your favorite things. There's a lot of great stuff out there I'm certain I've missed out on over the course of the last year.

I always keep a running list of artists whose current-year LPs/EPs I want to listen to. Since I haven't been checking things off the list, however, it has grown to a preposterous length. Here's what I am currently prioritizing (about 1/10 of the full list): [
    ]

I'd appreciate anyone's 2021 recommendations (stuff I should prioritize from the above list, or anything else).

Even though I'm far behind where I would typically be at this point in the year, I've still heard ~25 albums. My current favorites are: [
    ]

EDIT: I'll add that I'm eagerly anticipating albums from Tirzah, Circuit des Yeux, and Grouper.
    Last edited by Idioteque Stalker; 09-25-2021 at 01:58 AM.