Page 121 of 129 FirstFirst ... 2171111119120121122123 ... LastLast
Results 3,001 to 3,025 of 3203

Thread: Discuss the Musics Thread

To Pimp a Butterfly sounds like the early 2000s rap that I liked, which is to say, I am disappointed by this one.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

For The Whole World To See is excellent. I should watch that A Band Called Death documentary sometime.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

The new Mathias Eick album - Midwest - is incredible. The addition of the lead violinist adds a real Americana feel to the Norwegian composer/trumpeter's jazz compositions, and the percussion work is some of the best I've ever heard.

Also, listening to this on my new Yamaha monitors is a real treat.

I really think Sleater-Kinney's latest may well be their best. I don't know. I think so.

1. No Cities to Love
    2. The Woods
    3. Dig Me Out
    4. One Beat
    5. The Hot Rock

6. Call the Doctor

7. All Hands on the Bad One
    8. Sleater-Kinney

1-5 are all various shades of brilliant. 7 and 8 are good, solid, nothing to be sniffed at, but suffer in comparison.
    Seriously, these guys.
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

Surf is spectacular

The Passenger (Antonioni): 9
    Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1 (Yates): 5
    Red (Schwentke): 4
    The Count of Monte Cristo (Reynolds): 5
    Cave of Forgotten Dreams (Herzog): 8
    Kick-Ass (Vaughn): 3

Quote Quoting right_for_the_moment (view post)
    Surf is spectacular
    Listening now. First track is cool.

Hey gang, here is a Sex Pistols article that I wrote for the Rock!Shock!Pop!.com site.

The wife of the guy who runs the site says she shared this on John Lydon's Facebook page.
    "We eventually managed to find them near Biskupin, where demonstrations of prehistoric farming are organized. These oxen couldn't be transported to anywhere else, so we had to built the entire studio around them. A scene that lasted twenty-something seconds took us a year and a half to prepare."

Quote Quoting Russ (view post)
    Hey gang, here is a Sex Pistols article that I wrote for the Rock!Shock!Pop!.com site.

The wife of the guy who runs the site says she shared this on John Lydon's Facebook page.
    Great article!

Has anybody listened to Mumford & Sons' latest album? The few tracks I've heard sound like Marcus replaced his entire band with members of Coldplay and The National.
    Losing is like fertilizer: it stinks for a while, then you get used to it. (Tony, Hibbing)

Fans of Harold Budd's The Pavilion of Dreams will definitely want to check out Chris Dingman's The Subliminal and the Sublime. Great ambient jazz with that '70s flavor.

Once again, Marconi Union delivers a tremendous album.

https://chemicaltapeslabel.bandcamp....bum/departures

Ain't that just the way EyesWideOpen's Avatar
    I was looking to listen to "Deep Cover" today which I consider probably the quintessential Dre and Snoop track and it is unavailable anywhere. It's not on spotify, itunes or amazon even to purchase. There is only one copy of the Deep Cover soundtrack on amazon and it's a third party seller asking for over $100. Obviously there are other less legal ways to find it online (or listen to it on youtube) but I find it weird that the track that introduced Snoop is so hard to find.
    TV Recently Finished:
    Catastrophe: Season 1 (2015) A
    Rectify: Season 3 (2015) A-
    Bojack Horseman: Season 2 (2015) A
    True Detective: Season 2 (2015) A-
    Wayward Pines: Season 1 (2015) B

Currently Playing: Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise (replay) (XB1) / Contradiction (PC)
    Recently Finished: Everybody's Gone to the Rapture (PS4) A+ / Life is Strange: Ep 4 (PS4) A / Bastion (replay) (PS4) B+

The new Dre album is slowly growing on me.

Sometimes I can be a bad fan, the worst kind of fan. At first I didn't like the album, because all I really wanted to hear was The Chronic part 3. I wanted my nostalgia fire fanned, and expected Dre to turn in another collection of great party tracks. But instead, Compton is a much more ambitious affair, more akin to Marvin Gaye's What's Going On? than any of the G-Funk classics. Dre is in weird place now - he sold a company for billions, and IIRC, sits on the board of Apple now. For him to release a part 3 to The Chronic would be really weird. Compton is more of a reflection from the point of view of someone on the outside, looking back, rather than an account of some street-level soldier.

Ain't that just the way EyesWideOpen's Avatar
    I love it. Such a great album. I much prefer it to the new Kendrick Lamar.
    TV Recently Finished:
    Catastrophe: Season 1 (2015) A
    Rectify: Season 3 (2015) A-
    Bojack Horseman: Season 2 (2015) A
    True Detective: Season 2 (2015) A-
    Wayward Pines: Season 1 (2015) B

Currently Playing: Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise (replay) (XB1) / Contradiction (PC)
    Recently Finished: Everybody's Gone to the Rapture (PS4) A+ / Life is Strange: Ep 4 (PS4) A / Bastion (replay) (PS4) B+

I can't even come close to claiming that, but the best parts of Compton are when Kendrick Lamar is on the mic.

Man, this year continues to overwhelm me with the number of artists that have already released solid work, and we've still got Bat for Lashes, Anna Von Hausswolff, Deafheaven, Chvrches, and a couple others to go. Can't wait to see what those first two sound like, beyond the clips already released.
    The Boat People - 9
    The Power of the Dog - 7.5
    The King of Pigs - 7

Random list my co-worker asked me to make: top 5 Beatles songs with one-word titles.

1. Blackbird — s/t (White Album)
    I won’t pretend nostalgia isn’t a factor in this being my #1. I grew up to this song. After hearing it in various forms in my youth, the chirping bird in the original recording game me pause: is it too on-the-nose, is it too precious? No. It’s simple and tender. The perfect touch.

2. Yesterday — Help!
    I’m sure someone with more expertise could explain just how unnatural the melody is—and how that very characteristic helps make it one of the most bittersweet love songs ever.

3. Taxman — Revolver
    I’ve always had a soft spot for the groove here. It may not be their most subtle song thematically, but it’s always seemed a bit under-appreciated and George’s guitar solo kills.

4. Because — Abbey Road
    It may get bonus points for kicking off the sublime second half of Abbey Road, but the harmonies sound impossibly huge.

5. Michelle — Rubber Soul
    Although the lyrics flirt almost too much with the quirky language barrier conceit, the deceptively complex melody and chord progression (as is expected of Paul) is just the best.

HM: Julia — s/t (White Album)
    A thinly-veiled love song from John to Yoko, Julia is a simple but haunting lullaby that is just a tad too lethargic to make my list.

So I stayed away from Kozelek's Universal Themes album because I like his voice mournful and reminiscent, not screeching, which is the dominant mode that I heard from his singles off of UT.

This new single, though, collaborating with Jesu, is everything that I want from his lyrical focus:

Sad, reflective, and consciously in the moment.
    The Boat People - 9
    The Power of the Dog - 7.5
    The King of Pigs - 7

Wayne Coyne's infatuation with Miley Cyrus is borderline creepy. I wouldn't be surprised to find out something scandalous in the near future.

Can't wait for that stupid, gimmick-fueled, attention-grabbing union to break up.

For a band who has built its career on gimmicks, this Cyrus one is an all-time low.

I'm totally into this vaporwave shit.

It's appropriated nostalgia at its finest, and most soulless.

Dammit.

There's already post-vaporwave.

I just can't keep up.

https://noproblematapes.bandcamp.com/album/--3

Damn Twigs! Along with Future Islands and Dirty Projectors this has gotta be one my favorite tv performances of recent memory.

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    I'm totally into this vaporwave shit.
    I don't know much about it but this made me laugh.