Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: The Olympics Discussion Thread (ODT)

Too much responsibility Kurosawa Fan's Avatar
    Destinee Hooker is yummy.

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Yup
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Quote Quoting Kurosawa Fan (view post)
    That... is a truly stripperiffic name. That might bump out my all-time favorite stripperiffic name, a receptionist at an old job in California named Venus de Fleur.

By the way, I just looked her up. She is very pretty for someone who could crush me dead with her foot.
    ...and the milk's in me.

Interesting article on weightlifter Holley Mangold and perceptions of the athletic female body:

http://www.salon.com/2012/07/30/holl...an_look_small/
    ...and the milk's in me.

Director
    Holley Mangold rules because her brother Nick rules even harder.

Quote Quoting Mara (view post)
    If those little interview-at-home segments are supposed to construct a relateable narrative for the athletes, the ones for Lochte are failing. He comes across as insufferable. "Look at my shoes! I like bling!" KID. STOP TALKING.
    couldn't agree more.

Not for Mara.

[
    ]

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    Not for Mara.

[
    ]
    This I have no problem with. She's lovely, but the camera is focusing on her performance, and not trying to give her a colonoscopy.
    ...and the milk's in me.

Quote Quoting Mara (view post)
    This I have no problem with. She's lovely, but the camera is focusing on her performance, and not trying to give her a colonoscopy.
    oh. Well here. :P

[
    ]

Well, that's enough of watching the American Men Gymnasts shit the bed...
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

Quote Quoting Kurosawa Fan (view post)
    NSFW probably.

[]

Legs.

The pommel horse event makes my abs hurt just watching it.

That poor Japanese gymnast better be placed on suicide watch.

EDIT: Nevermind, they disputed the score. Japan went from 4th to 2nd.

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    oh. Well here. :P

[
    ]
    Gotta love the Olympics :lol: ritch:
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

Rain wreaked havoc with my antenna, so I missed most of the good stuff last night. Bah.
    ...and the milk's in me.

I wonder what the The Aussie Synchronized Swim Team is going to be doing in the Olympic Village tonight.

[]

Russia just killed it on the beam. (gymnastics)

I think I'll stay out of this thread since I like to watch Prime Time w/o being spoiled.
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

Wow. Gymnastics scoring has changed alot since I last watched it (probably the 96 Olympics with Kerri Strug and Shannon Miller). Why are the girls only vaulting once? And the scores aren't out of 10 anymore. Last I remember they did two vaults and kept the higher score. With these new rules Strug never would have had her epic Olympics moment.

This is amazing:

I stayed up to watch some of the events that aired today that were replayed, just to see them in action even though I already knew who won. Despite not liking Phelps I'm still a bit in awe that he has 19 medals in the Olympics, although granted swimming enables you to win a ton of medals (team events count towards everyone's totals). I can't believe that Russia stumbled in gymnastics, thus enabling the USA women's team to take home gold. Getting a nearly flawless routine is pretty tough.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

Definitely not a fan of yesterday's NBC editing of the women's gymnastics final. NBC only showed other countries' competitors when they self-destructed. There was no suggestion that we should watch this individual or that one because they'll be dominant in the sport soon. Instead, it was Russia falls here, Romania falters there. Never a discussion of why they're in contention in the first place. And the insistence on Jordyn's redemption... sigh.

Also, Costas's dancing around Ye Shiwen and doping allegations was just weak. He gets to have it both ways--suggesting doping, but getting to say, "no, no, I identified how Phelps exploded on the scene as well." Hopefully the track and field segments are better handled.
    The Boat People - 9
    The Power of the Dog - 7.5
    The King of Pigs - 7

NBC sucks. Stream the live feed if you can. You won't miss anything.

I don't mind being spoiled on results before watching the event. 90% of my enjoyment comes from watching the athleticism and grace on display, and not from the element of surprise. This may be why I am generally not a sports fan.

I didn't get to see anything yesterday because I had my book group, but I'm catching up on highlights and I've watched McKayla's vault in extreme slo-mo about seven times. CHILD. MY HEART.
    ...and the milk's in me.

Montage, s'il vous plait? Raiders's Avatar
    Quote Quoting dreamdead (view post)
    Definitely not a fan of yesterday's NBC editing of the women's gymnastics final. NBC only showed other countries' competitors when they self-destructed. There was no suggestion that we should watch this individual or that one because they'll be dominant in the sport soon. Instead, it was Russia falls here, Romania falters there. Never a discussion of why they're in contention in the first place. And the insistence on Jordyn's redemption... sigh.
    They showed both Romania and Russia when they rocked the uneven bars. I don't think they really had enough time to show everything and since this is broadcast in the US, they made sure to show the US girls at every event. It is necessary to also see the falters so we know why and how the US is winning.

I also do think they should insist on Jordyn's redemption. The weak-ass rule needs to be exposed. I mean, the crowd rocked for her; it isn't like the idea of her redemption is unique to NBC.

Also, Costas's dancing around Ye Shiwen and doping allegations was just weak. He gets to have it both ways--suggesting doping, but getting to say, "no, no, I identified how Phelps exploded on the scene as well." Hopefully the track and field segments are better handled.
    I still like Costas, but he has shown is old-fogie crassness on many occasions throughout the years. The way he was jumbling back and forth to build the drama and actually give in to the unsubstantiated allegations was pathetic.
    Recently Viewed:
    Thor: The Dark World (2013) **½
    The Counselor (2013) *½
    Walden (1969) ***
    A Hijacking (2012) ***½
    Before Midnight (2013) ***

Films By Year

Complaining about the rule is one thing, but I feel like every time they complain about Jordyn being judge too harshly, they are implying that she was actually better than one of the Americans who beat her. It seems unfair that those two put on superior performances and are then mostly ignored (or implicitly have their performances rundown) by NBC.

Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast