Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: The Olympics Discussion Thread (ODT)

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    I LOVE IT! A Brazilian soccer player just got a red card for flopping. The Euro League and World Cup need more of that!
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Too much responsibility Kurosawa Fan's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    I LOVE IT! A Brazilian soccer player just got a red card for flopping. The Euro League and World Cup need more of that!
    Not exactly accurate. He got a second yellow for the dive. Players do receive yellows for diving in the Premier League (though I agree it should happen more often) but you can't give a straight red for diving, nor should you.

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

I love this gif. I want to try archery.

Men's all-round finals (gymnastics) happening now. Almost finished.

Quote Quoting Mara (view post)
    I didn't get to see anything yesterday because I had my book group, but I'm catching up on highlights and I've watched McKayla's vault in extreme slo-mo about seven times. CHILD. MY HEART.
    i have no idea where the judges found deductions. that was insane.

Quote Quoting Saya (view post)
    I love this gif. I want to try archery.

this looks like it was directed by wes anderson.

I didn't get to see anything yesterday because I had my book group, but I'm catching up on highlights and I've watched McKayla's vault in extreme slo-mo about seven times. CHILD. MY HEART.
    Is that the vault Saya giffed above? If so, it's unreal. She's like a robot. She doesn't even flinch. I don't think she even realized she vaulted at all until like fives minutes later.
    "How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

--Homer

Quote Quoting Wryan (view post)
    Is that the vault Saya giffed above? If so, it's unreal. She's like a robot. She doesn't even flinch. I don't think she even realized she vaulted at all until like fives minutes later.
    Yes. She's a bit of a one-trick pony (not competing for the all-around) and was brought on because of her vault. BUT WHAT A TRICK. The announcers said she's the best vaulter in the world right now, getting two feet higher than anyone else. I believe it.
    ...and the milk's in me.

I've watched that vault countless times over (I stared at that gif for probably 3 minutes straight earlier today). Nice to see someone live up to all that hype because they announcers would not shut up about what an amazing vaulter she is. She definitely gets the extra height. In the prelims she vaulted right after Jordyn Weiber and I compared the placement of her hips in the background to Weiber's and yeah, it had to be an extra couple of feet.

If you see it from the opposite angle you can actually see two of the lady judges' jaws drop. It's hilarious. I think they made up that .2 deduction cause they assumed it couldn't be perfect but damn if it wasn't. Immensely satisfying performance. There's something about the abruptness of the vault that when it's done perfectly it feels so much more fulfilling to watch than any of the other events.

They could have won without her vault when you consider how badly the Russians self-destructed but it was worth it to see that. I hope she gets the individual gold in that event as expected.

Oh and this Badminton stuff is bananas.

Are they keeping the Rings off the TV on purpose during men's gymnastics? I haven't seen one performance on them.

Quote Quoting Mr. McGibblets (view post)
    Are they keeping the Rings off the TV on purpose during men's gymnastics? I haven't seen one performance on them.
    There have been rings gymnastics during the team and individual all round performances. Next Tuesday will be the individual rings performance for men.

Gold lift. 205 kg or 405 lbs.

There have been rings gymnastics during the team and individual all round performances. Next Tuesday will be the individual rings performance for men.
    I think (know) he was asking why the rings have not been televised thus far. Almost positive the rings have not been shown here in the States.

My new favorite sports: Handball, Table Tennis, and Volleyball. I'm Really enjoying these olympics.

Quote Quoting Our Aurora (view post)
    I think (know) he was asking why the rings have not been televised thus far. Almost positive the rings have not been shown here in the States.

My new favorite sports: Handball, Table Tennis, and Volleyball. I'm Really enjoying these olympics.
    Oh, I see, I misunderstood. It sucks that they don't show everything on TV over there. I heard there were many problems with NBC's coverage.

Oh, I see, I misunderstood. It sucks that they don't show everything on TV over there. I heard there were many problems with NBC's coverage.
    Sorry... I've had a bit to drink (read as: quite a bit), so I apologize if the parenthetical addition to my post came off as condescending. It was definitely not meant in that way.

Speaking of Olympic coverage... I'm pretty sure The Onion has had the best:
    http://www.theonion.com/articles/nbc...and-tim,29011/

That's just one of my favorites in the last few days.

Oh my goodness, how adorable was Nathan Adrian last night in his 100m Freestyle win? I didn't really think he stood much of a chance and based on his facial expressions doesn't appear he did either. I would love to see a gif of those couple beats right after he celebrated where he gave a kind of Keanu-Reeves-Bill-and-Ted head cock and flabergasted blink. Too cute. Nice to see Lochte and Phelps celebrating for him too. Swimming is so fun.

Yes. She's a bit of a one-trick pony (not competing for the all-around) and was brought on because of her vault. BUT WHAT A TRICK. The announcers said she's the best vaulter in the world right now, getting two feet higher than anyone else. I believe it.
    Yeah, that was pretty incredible. She had so much power coming off the jump that all she needed to use her hands on the vault for was to tap it a bit to set her trajectory. That was pretty damned impressive.
    Losing is like fertilizer: it stinks for a while, then you get used to it. (Tony, Hibbing)

Voltage!!!
    Quote Quoting amberlita (view post)
    Absolutely. It was embarassing to watch, and I'm happy that they threw all eight players out of the Olympics.
    "Listen man, it might be hard to understand, but
    Don't mourn the dead,
    Celebrate the life they gave"
    - Kashmir "Seraphina"

Montage, s'il vous plait? Raiders's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Lasse (view post)
    Absolutely. It was embarassing to watch, and I'm happy that they threw all eight players out of the Olympics.
    It's the right call considering the dishonesty of trying to lose, but the Olympics asked for this with the format they used which encourages people to use strategy in the advancing rounds, and losing on purpose is strategic.
    Recently Viewed:
    Thor: The Dark World (2013) **½
    The Counselor (2013) *½
    Walden (1969) ***
    A Hijacking (2012) ***½
    Before Midnight (2013) ***

Films By Year

By the way, can we talk about Yannick Agnel? Because if the Olympics were a movie, he would be the supervillain out-touching and chasing down our intrepid heroes.

But, the thing is, he's the kind of cool and handsome-in-a-Matt-Smith-ian way that makes me want to be on his side of supervillainy. Like, I don't necessarily want our guys to lose, but if they do, I hope it's to that magnificent French bastard.

Also, his name is Yannick. This cannot be overstated.
    ...and the milk's in me.

Hold on. I was only finding interviews in rapid-fire French I couldn't quite follow, but then I found this article, with the following quotes:

The lanky, bookish and somewhat eccentric 6ft 8in, 20-year-old, Yannick Agnel, has been dubbed "the first superstar" of the London Olympics after winning two gold medals in 24 hours – the most for any one sportsperson.
    Even in France, the young Agnel – who journalists complained was being wrongly referred to as Angel by the Brits – is known for being "different", firing leftfield answers and literary quotes during post-race interviews, memorising sonnets during competitions and appearing unflappable.
    Once asked how he managed to pack in so much training, Agnel quoted the French political philosopher Montesquieu.
    I have just now changed teams, especially since Lochte and Phelps are so obnoxious. TEAM YANNICK ALL THE WAY.

...and the milk's in me.

I'm better at reading French than listening to it.

Il affiche volontiers ses passions : politique, littérature et musique. On peut bâtir une solide bibliothèque en faisant la liste des auteurs qu’il a cités en interview : Baudelaire, Freud, Marc Lévy, Isaac Asimov, Gabriel Garcia Marquez, Philippe Djian. Eclectique, donc.
    Poor Nat translation: he seems happy in his passions, politics, literature, and music. One may build a solid library by listing the authors that he has cited in interviews: Baudelaire, Freud, Marc Lévy, Isaac Asimov, Gabriel Garcia Marquez, Philippe Djian. So eclectic.

And here's the Montesquieu quote:

La gravité est le bonheur des imbéciles, c’est ma phrase préférée. Les gens prennent trop les choses au sérieux. Moi, je prends du plaisir Ã* nager.
    Poor Nat translation: Seriousness is the happiness of idiots, is my favorite phrase. People take too many things seriously. Me, I find pleasure in swimming.
    ...and the milk's in me.

Quote Quoting amberlita (view post)
    quite possibly the first time this sentence has ever been uttered.

Director
    So there's something I didn't know.

@NetsDaily
    At age 10, Michael Phelps was ranked #2 among swimmers of his age class. The #1 swimmer was Kris Humphries
    Quote Quoting People
    2. He's a Man of Many Talents
    Before landing a notable NBA career, Humphries was a star swimmer. Still holding records to this day, he was considered the top swimmer in the nation when he was 10, even beating out Michael Phelps. "I was so good at a young age that I got a little burnt out," Humphries says. "I also grew up in the Michael Jordan era ... for me, I watched [basketball] and saw it as a challenge. It's hard to stay focused on something when you have a ton of success at a young age, so I picked up basketball a little later and rolled with that."

He's definitely goofy looking, which seems to be a prerequisite to become an elite swimmer.
    Now reading: The Master Switch by Tim Wu

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast