Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 30 Rock

30 Rock

It's pretty much the only show I watch. People here don't seem too keen on it.
    Wishful thinking, perhaps; but that is just another possible definition of the featherless biped.

I've grown tired of it. It's really not as funny as it used to be. I only really laughed once at the last episode, and that was for Al Gore's last line.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Too much responsibility Kurosawa Fan's Avatar
    David Schwimmer had a couple lines that I thought were funny, but overall I agree with 8. It's just not what it was last season. It lost something along the way.

See, I thought this week's episode was one of the best. I laughed way harder at this than I did at The Office.
    Wishful thinking, perhaps; but that is just another possible definition of the featherless biped.

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    I've grown tired of it. It's really not as funny as it used to be. I only really laughed once at the last episode, and that was for Al Gore's last line.
    I think we just have different tastes in humor, because I didn't find the whale line very funny. It seemed like a line out of South Park - way more cartoonish in the portrayal of his personality. I don't mind South Park, but I don't like it much either.

Quote Quoting Duncan (view post)
    See, I thought this week's episode was one of the best. I laughed way harder at this than I did at The Office.
    The Office has had a disappointing season as well. I thought once they went back to 30 minutes it would get better, but thus far it's been even worse.

Oh, and I thought the whale line was lame too. The only thing I found funny were a couple lines by Schwimmer.

Shocking Seductive Spiral Thirdmango's Avatar
    I am a big fan of the first season of 30 Rock, but what I could tell has been the biggest problem with this new season is how little we see of the other characters, the non named ones such as Josh and Toofer. Characters whom were able to keep little things funny and yet for some reason they've dissappeared except in the background in many moments. It's probably just a lull, hopefully this one will get back on track cause I've told a lot of people to watch this one.

I'm so far behind on the Office and 30 Rock that I think I'll just wait for the latest seasons of them to come out on DVD. I've seen a good chunk of Season 1 of 30 Rock though and I thought it was funny, but I don't see it becoming a favorite show of mine. Alec Baldwin is the main reason to watch.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

I just watched this week's episode online. Hilarious. I can't believe more people don't like this show.

I keep forgetting to mention that the show is getting much funnier. Did anyone else catch this line from the episode where Liz's parents come up to visit:

[
    ]

It's unfortunate that I understood the joke, and even more unfortunate that it brought the image into my head again, but damn if I wasn't crying from laughter.

I've just started watching this and got through the third episode of the first season last night. It's pretty fun, but there's something off-putting about it, which may be my a manifestation of my current aversion to television in general. Largely, a lot of the writing seems unexeptional, if above average for a basic sitcom. The plots are all as borrowed and hackneyed as any sitcom, one camera or three.

I liked the LOL lesbian story in the third episode ultimately after being very reluctant to accept it initially (the boss thinks you're gay has been done a lot before, but rarely with women, so that was what saved it), but then Fey's character went unbelievably overboard at the end. I'll withhold judgment until I get to the halfway point of the first season, where I'll determine whether or not I continue with it.

Hey guys, season 3 has just started.

Did anyone else watch the first episode? I thought it was good. Not all of the jokes worked but it was fun. Was a good start of the new season.

So Jack and Liz are back to status quo. I really don't know if I still like this show or not. It's still enjoyable, but it's really locked in stalemate.
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

The first episode was alright, but I think it's the funniest show on TV now. It kind of has the quick, dry humor of Arrested Development that I liked.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

What are you, high? With South Park, Entourage and House on?
    Movie Theater Diary

What are you, high? With South Park, Entourage and House on?
    30 Rock is better than all of those.

Liz and Jack = Funny
    Tracy and Kenneth = Sometimes funny
    The Rest = Not funny
    Trailer Park Hats With Phrases = Painfully unfunny.
    letterboxd.

A Star is Born (2018) **1/2
    Unforgiven (1992) ***1/2
    The Sisters Brothers (2018) **
    Crazy Rich Asians (2018) ***
    The Informant! (2009) ***1/2
    BlacKkKlansman (2018) ***1/2
    Sorry to Bother You (2018) **1/2
    Eighth Grade (2018) ***
    Mission Impossible: Fallout (2018) ***
    Ant-Man and The Wasp (2018) **1/2

I just started watching this show about a week or so ago. Caught up on the first two seasons via Netflix instant viewing. It's pretty addictive, though I like it better when I can watch 4 or 5 at a time.
    Coming to America (Landis, 1988) **
    The Beach Bum (Korine, 2019) *1/2
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Fugue (Smoczynska, 2018) ***1/2
    Prisoners (Villeneuve, 2013) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Oslo, August 31st (J. Trier, 2011) ****
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2
    Fighting With My Family (Merchant, 2019) **
    Upstream Color (Carruth, 2013) ***

Quote Quoting DavidSeven (view post)
    The Rest = Not funny
    Bah. Jane Krakowski is fantastic.
    Coming to America (Landis, 1988) **
    The Beach Bum (Korine, 2019) *1/2
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Fugue (Smoczynska, 2018) ***1/2
    Prisoners (Villeneuve, 2013) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Oslo, August 31st (J. Trier, 2011) ****
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2
    Fighting With My Family (Merchant, 2019) **
    Upstream Color (Carruth, 2013) ***

Quote Quoting Kurosawa Fan (view post)
    Maybe in humorlessland.
    Movie Theater Diary

But maybe I've always been unfairly harsh towards 30 Rock because NBC continued a mediocre show like it and canceled something truly hilarious like Studio 60. :sad:
    Movie Theater Diary

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    Quote Quoting Kurosawa Fan (view post)
    I can't speak for Entourage, since I got bored with it in Season 2, but I agree that it's funnier than House and South Park. By a substantial margin, in both cases.

Although I do love the ever-irreverent Hugh Laurie.

Never cared for House. Entourage has gone down the shitter (have not seen the latest season).

South Park has an episode that will be much more hilarious than 30 Rock, then follow it up with an eye-roller, therefore it loses.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

But maybe I've always been unfairly harsh towards 30 Rock because NBC continued a mediocre show like it and canceled something truly hilarious like Studio 60. :sad:
    Studio 60 sucked. Sappy drivel by the end. Wasn't all that funny either. Good riddance.

30 Rock is far from mediocre. And the show is more than just Liz and Jack, though they're obviously the highlights. Tracey is fantastic, though I agree that Kenneth is hit or miss. I think Pete is pretty great, as is Jenna and Grizz and Dot Com.

I've said it before, but the only person that isn't funny, and is in fact, ridiculously irritating, is Judah Friedlander.

Please get rid of him. Pronto.

Kenneth may be a one-trick pony, but he does it so perfectly. Kind of how Tobias worked out in AD.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast