Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: TRON Legacy (2010)

dissolved into molecules lovejuice's Avatar
    Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    Because the original movie was called Tron and they had to call this one Tron too.
    is he an important character in that one?
    "Over analysis is like the oil of the Match-Cut machine." KK2.0

Quote Quoting lovejuice (view post)
    is he an important character in that one?
    Very. He was the main security program in the Grid and was technically the hero of the story, though not the main character.

Think Arnold's T-800 in T2.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Very. He was the main security program in the Grid and was technically the hero of the story, though not the main character.

Think Arnold's T-800 in T2.
    I see. My biggest beef is that the movie introduces many characters, but it doesn't bother to take them anywhere. More of Tron and Zeus and less of Sam will do this movie a lot of good.

Stunning visual and aural production: the cinematography, costumes/hairstyles/make-up and pulsing soundtrack carry the film, and are orchestrated with a panache that we don't often see in first-time filmmakers.

Silly plot camouflaging some fascinating, if familiar, sci-fi themes (the emergence of digital life in machines, human transcendence through digital transfer, the awesomeness of Jeff Bridges). It's actually a pretty funny screenplay: there are plot holes a-plenty, but many of them are dismissed by the film itself (when learning of Clu's ability to transfer his entire army to the real world, Bridges exclaims: "He's figured out how to do it!").

Good casting and good acting: Hedlund anchors the movie without taking it over; Bridges gives it some depth and soul, and plays off himself nicely as Clu; Sheen is a key, if surprising, addition of "life" and Olivia Wilde is, well, Olivia Wilde, still one of the most rivetingly attractive actresses around.

(On a related note, the ending may be the one truly human moment in a film that could have used a few more.)

Overall, I think one's enjoyment rests in how much weight each of the above points carry. I must admit that I was completely glued to the screen the entire time -- my weakness for pretty stuff is such that I was never bored or focusing on the weak points.

Damn, I was loving the hell out of this until they left the grid. After that, the movie resolves to some lame ideas and the acting weakness of Hedlund becomes forefront. He's kind of awful, and Wilde isn't very good either.

Martin Sheen seemed like he could've been something, but his character starts up too late, and sadly ends too early.

But the opening scenes in the Grid are some of the more exciting sequences this year has to offer, and Daft Punk certainly helps that.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting lovejuice (view post)
    I enjoy it, but it's curiously unambitious. On a plus side, in this age when every fantasy and sci-fi builds itself into yet another franchise, a self-contained movie is in fact refreshing. It's a lot like an 80s movie in that respect. The story and many characters are there just to showcase the technology.

One question: I watched the original long time ago, but why is this movie called "Tron"? He seems to be a peripheral character.

Actually, it leaves a lot for sequels, but i agree with the "its like an 80's movie" it's kinda silly and it's very much like the original, neat ideas, stunning production design and music, but weak script and bad pacing keeps it from aiming higher.

I didn't regret watching it (looked great on IMAX), but it was certainly more forgettable and boring than i expected.

Big disappointment. I am a big fan of the original, and I feel that there is not enough to bridge the two movies. They got Jeff Bridges and Bruce Boxleitner, but that's it. It would have been cool if they'd gotten David Warner to somehow return as the villain. I realize he was effectively defeated in the first movie (though that didn't stop Geoffrey Rush from Pirates of the Caribbean; just sayin'), but Flynn's doppelganger was just not a very good villain by comparison. The Master Control Program was just so much... bigger, and more frightening.

There were some flashbacks to 1989, detailing Clu's betrayal. I would have liked them better if those scenes had resembled the 1982 film more, with more primitive-looking visual effects, but it was pretty much the same kind of effects and art direction that the rest of the movie had. I preferred thinking that the 1982 Tron world was the way it really looked, and not just the way Disney could portray it with limited technology. It's a world that should evolve with technology. But in this film, the only way you know it took place in the past is because there is a weird pattern that makes it look sort of like a TV screen.

Actually, i thought it was a neat detail, like if the past had lower resolution.

Quote Quoting Isaac (view post)
    I preferred thinking that the 1982 Tron world was the way it really looked, and not just the way Disney could portray it with limited technology.
    It was. The idea is that in 7 years, Clu 2.0, Tron and Flynn had made it super advanced.
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

This suuuuuuuuucked.

Quote Quoting Sven (view post)
    This suuuuuuuuucked.
    Thank you.
    Coming to America (Landis, 1988) **
    The Beach Bum (Korine, 2019) *1/2
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Fugue (Smoczynska, 2018) ***1/2
    Prisoners (Villeneuve, 2013) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Oslo, August 31st (J. Trier, 2011) ****
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2
    Fighting With My Family (Merchant, 2019) **
    Upstream Color (Carruth, 2013) ***

Saw this in IMAX again last night (3rd time). The middle drags, but my god, there are some absolutely amazing scenes in this film.
    Sure why not?

STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI (Rian Johnson) - 9
    STRONGER (David Gordon Green) - 6
    THE DISASTER ARTIST (James Franco) - 7
    THE FLORIDA PROJECT (Sean Baker) - 9
    LADY BIRD (Greta Gerwig) - 8

"Hitchcock is really bad at suspense."
    - Stay Puft

Quote Quoting Sven (view post)
    This suuuuuuuuucked.
    Awesome. Can't wait.

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    FUCK!

[youtube]THcItXSnngA[/youtube]
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

THAT I'll see. Awesome voice cast. I hope the writers get to play with the material a bit more, because the world offers a lot of room for a good story. I mean, it could be what the Matrix sequels should have been, really.

Pee-Wee does TRON. Heh.

The movie was a visual treat, the story not so much.

Definitely entertaining, but it is no Speed Racer.
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

Alone again, naturally eternity's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Scar (view post)
    The movie was a visual treat, the story not so much.

Definitely entertaining, but it is no Speed Racer.

*snide comment*

- - - - -
    Triumph of spectacle over .. everything else. An action movie where the hero asks his digital Obi-wan, "What do we do now?" and the answer is, astoundingly, "Nothing." And the the guy means it.

The opening is amazing in almost every way but .. damn. It's a Wizard of Oz story without, you know, the story. Or characters. Or even color.

So bad I couldn't finish watching.

I love both the original and the sequel. They both have similar flaws, and are overly ambitious, although the original's FX broke new ground while the sequel merely utilizes current technology. The sequel has a far superior score, though.

Oh and the sequel could have used more Michael Sheen hamming it up in hilarious, spectacular fashion. Too much style, not enough subsistence, but I don't really care in this instance. Jeff Bridges was clearly channeling The Dude a lot in his performance, although I didn't really mind-I find it to be a sneaky in-joke that worked.

So yes, count me in for a third installment. Considering the gap between the first and the second, I'm willing to wait.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)

So bad I couldn't finish watching.
    I can't wait for the sequel.

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

anyone seen this? Kinda NSFW.

And you think the movie's writing was bad? WTF is this?

http://disneydigitalbooks.go.com/tron/
    Movie Theater Diary

And you think the movie's writing was bad? WTF is this?

http://disneydigitalbooks.go.com/tron/
    Ugg... i need to swipe with my mouse? Navigation fail.

Uh... it's a technology showcase for HTML5? It's a simplified storyboard from the film, and you can use arrow keys Duke.

Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast