Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: X-Files

Just finished watching "Asanazi" / "The Blessing Way" / "Paper Clip". I remembered these episodes a little too well compared to the previous two seasons. I think this is when I turned into a big fan. It's also awesome to see the birth of Skinner as the third wheel of the agents.

I know it's part of the internal logic of the show, but it's kind of stupid for Scully to keep questioning any of Mulder's theories at this point.

Oh, and the episode before Season 2 finale, "Our Town", is one of the fucking tops.

That three-parter is the zenith of the show's mythology. The mythology in Season 3 is still very solid, but they start throwing everything and the kitchen sink into it around Season 4.
    Contagion (Soderbergh, 2011) - 6.5
    The Descendants (Payne, 2011) - 7.5
    Midnight in Paris (Allen, 2011) - 5
    Margin Call (Chandor, 2011) - 6.5
    The Ides of March (Clooney, 2011) - 5

"Space" is one of my favorite episodes. Just brilliant SF television, and the atmosphere of the episode is thick as can be. I know this one is hate on a lot, but I think it's one of the best of the entire series.

Best mythology-based episode for me is Little Green Men. That one somehow feels more like a movie than either of the X-Files movies do

Quote Quoting Grouchy
    I know it's part of the internal logic of the show, but it's kind of stupid for Scully to keep questioning any of Mulder's theories at this point.
    Ya, they were pushing it with her after like a couple of episodes even, but they kept that shit going for years. Within the first two seasons alone, Scully sees a bunch of monsters and she gets abducted and I think at one point she holds an alien baby in a jar

I don't think she rejects what is going on, but she is not quick to conclude the origins of the things that happen to her. It's like a UFO. There are UFOs - that's a fact. There are things that are unidentified that fly in the air. What are they? If a Mulder sees one, he's quick to say that their origin is extraterrestrial; if a Scully sees one, she can still say she doesn't know what it is - it's a UFO - but she's not ready to say that it's not from this world until all of the evidence is examined. Scully had personal experiences with things, but her skeptic nature made her really questions what was going on.

I always liked how they balanced this with her religious side, although I wish they would have explored this theme in more detail.

Quote Quoting Daniel Davis (view post)
    I always liked how they balanced this with her religious side, although I wish they would have explored this theme in more detail.
    Part of the reason I liked the last movie so much is that they meddled with Scully's religion, something which I think they probably didn't have the freedom to do with the series because the network might not have wanted to risk it.

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    I'm past "Miracle Man," moving into "Shapes," and I was thoroughly impressed with "E.B.E." Great introduction to the Lone Gunmen, and very interesting to see a lot of concepts and images that would be used in the first feature film. So cool to see something I loved as a child and realize that it's better than I remember.

Quote Quoting Dead & Messed Up (view post)
    So cool to see something I loved as a child and realize that it's better than I remember.
    I have the same feeling, and I also feel I didn't fully appreciate or even completely understand it as a kid. The show is pop culture greatness.

Voltage!!!
    "Space" is one of my favorite episodes. Just brilliant SF television, and the atmosphere of the episode is thick as can be. I know this one is hate on a lot, but I think it's one of the best of the entire series.
    I remember watching "Space" when I was a kid. I had nightmares for days. I rewatched it last year, and while it's not one of my favorites, I agree that it's a good and very athmospheric episode.
    "Listen man, it might be hard to understand, but
    Don't mourn the dead,
    Celebrate the life they gave"
    - Kashmir "Seraphina"

Just finished the last movie. Really liked it. I think it is a very brave film in how small and personal it is. Very mature, and I like that they didn't feel the need to make the come-back, as it were, a big, giant spectacle.

Just finished the last movie. Really liked it. I think it is a very brave film in how small and personal it is. Very mature, and I like that they didn't feel the need to make the come-back, as it were, a big, giant spectacle.
    The movie is the reason why the opener of the sixth season is utterly disappointing. You'll figure out why.

Quote Quoting chrisnu (view post)
    The movie is the reason why the opener of the sixth season is utterly disappointing. You'll figure out why.
    Nah, he's talking about I Want to Believe, the 2008 one.

Quote Quoting Grouchy (view post)
    Nah, he's talking about I Want to Believe, the 2008 one.
    Oops! The second movie is good primarily because it avoided the entire alien conspiracy which, by the end of the ninth season, was an irredeemable mess.

I dug I Want to Believe. It felt like a well-done, feature-length version of one of their better episodes. Nice to see the nod to Luther Lee Boggs and Clyde Bruckman, as well.

I think those episodes are "Patient X" (which is the first of a two-parter, "The Red and the Black" is the other) and "Quagmire". Those are all great episodes.

Just watched Season 2's "Aubrey." Haunting stuff, as a killer's homicidal traits are passed on genetically to an unsuspecting host. This biological "curse" becomes especially sad when history repeats itself for a victim who was assaulted fifty years ago. Also, Terry O'Quinn's in the episode.

Speaking of that, I was watching at work, while my a.p.o.c. was watching Lost's "The Man From Tallahassee." I pushed for her to restart Lost, and she's been liking it, although she made some good points regarding the badness of "Enter 77." In retrospect, it's a dumb episode.

I'm through "Humbug," which was creepy and hilarious and amazing, and of course it is, because it was written by Darin Morgan and directed by show producer Kim Manners.

Awesome.

Nice! I really liked Humbug. I started watching these again a few months ago and almost became obsessed again. I made it to season 5 before I started all over again. I'd been thinking about making an X-Files thread wherein I discussed every episode, but I got tired just thinking about it. :lol:
    My Mom - 10

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Have they said anything about a Blu-Ray release yet?
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Quote Quoting Amnesiac (view post)
    Every time I notice this thread, I get the urge to finally, and properly, watch this show.
    Give in to that urge.
    My Mom - 10

Got through the "Anasazi"/"Blessing Way"/"Paper Clip" arc today, and wow.

Moment of sheer badassery:

[
    ]

BAM.

In my opinion, that is the zenith of the series' mythology. Classic television.

Quote Quoting chrisnu (view post)
    In my opinion, that is the zenith of the series' mythology. Classic television.
    Luckily, my recollection is that Season 3 is the Darin Morgan season, so if the mytharc isn't as interesting, individual episodes will have more personality than usual.

While it's slightly OT, I wish they would do another movie but base it around the mythology of the series. The last movie tanked because it really had nothing to do with the show. It's one of the best TV series of all time though. I watched it on and off when it originally aired, but was able to watch them straight through on DVD. Took over a year I would say, but a very enjoyable journey. It does drop off once Duchovny drops off as a series regular, but there are still some good episodes towards the end.
    The Last Exorcism (Stamm, 2010) - **½
    The Karate Kid (Zwart, 2010) - ***
    Date Night (Levy, 2010) - **½
    Toy Story 3 (Unkrich, 2010) - ****
    The Kids Are All Right (Cholodenko, 2010) - ***
    Mrs. Henderson Presents (Frears, 2005) - ***
    Black Sunday (Frankenheimer, 1977) - **½
    The Hands That Rocks the Cradle (Hanson, 1992) - **½

Quote Quoting RoadtoPerdition (view post)
    While it's slightly OT, I wish they would do another movie but base it around the mythology of the series. The last movie tanked because it really had nothing to do with the show. It's one of the best TV series of all time though. I watched it on and off when it originally aired, but was able to watch them straight through on DVD. Took over a year I would say, but a very enjoyable journey. It does drop off once Duchovny drops off as a series regular, but there are still some good episodes towards the end.
    I liked both of the movies, and I would enjoy a third one that "wraps up" the whole 2012 invasion thing, but given the returns of I Want to Believe, I don't think that's going to happen.

Bummer.

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast