Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: X-Files

One of the funniest for me is the one with all the freaks - the one where Scully eats the bug and the little man in the big man's stomach that comes out at night to eat people or something like that. Humbug. Awesome!

I didn't care as much for the series after season 5 but I love Triangle. I love the final pull out shot at the end of season 6 and wish it would have all ended right there.

Man, is Post-Modern Prometheus the best episode ever or what?
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Montage, s'il vous plait? Raiders's Avatar
    Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    Man, is Post-Modern Prometheus the best episode ever or what?

"What." But it is a great episode, nonetheless.
    Recently Viewed:
    Thor: The Dark World (2013) **½
    The Counselor (2013) *½
    Walden (1969) ***
    A Hijacking (2012) ***½
    Before Midnight (2013) ***

Films By Year

I think it is the most crowd-pleasing episode (although "Triangle" has a good case), and a very good one indeed, but not the best.
    Contagion (Soderbergh, 2011) - 6.5
    The Descendants (Payne, 2011) - 7.5
    Midnight in Paris (Allen, 2011) - 5
    Margin Call (Chandor, 2011) - 6.5
    The Ides of March (Clooney, 2011) - 5

Quote Quoting Dead & Messed Up (view post)
    What's the visual gag?
    The end title ("Created by Chris Carter") is made up to be an image on the television screen Ribisi is watching, and its all inverted and translucent and stuff because our POV is from within the TV. Yeah, I don't know if I explained it very well. But it's neat, and thematically punchy, too!

Umm... about a season and a half, then I'll chime in on PMP. A "cute" episode, though, is probably the word for it.
    The Act of Killing (Oppenheimer 13) - A
    Stranger by the Lake (Giraudie 12) - B
    American Hustle (Russell 13) - C+
    The Wolf of Wall Street (Scorsese 13) - C+
    Passion (De Palma 12) - B

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    I don't know if it's a new development, but the entire series is on Netflix Instant.

I'd never seen the first episode before, so I watched it last night, and damned if there isn't something timeless about the show. It's funny how quickly the first episode establishes the tone, the characters, the entire package. Also, I didn't realize that the ending of the first film (Fight the Future) intentionally parallels the ending of the first episode. In both scenes, Scully approaches a panel of men and offers a small vial with a bizarre piece of evidence.

I'm eager to watch more.

I just watched "Clyde Bruckman's Final Repose" for the first time since it aired. What a fantastic episode. Peter Boyle reminds me that I can love his work.

Like I was saying, show hits the ground running. After watching "Deep Throat" and "Tooms," neither of which I'd ever seen in its entirety, the whole attitude and craft is damn near impeccable.

Also fun to see 1993 versions of Seth Green, Donal Logue, and Doug "Horace Goodspeed" Hutchison.

Season 1 drags a bit in the middle, but it's still quite good, and ends fantastically well. The episode with Brad Dourif ("Beyond The Sea") is my favorite from that season. Interesting bit of trivia about that episode: the writers of the episode forewent their salary in order to get Dourif.

I've also been watching the entire series again, I'm 12 episodes into Season 2.

The three-part mini saga dealing with Scully's disappearance (Duane Barry / Ascension / One Breath) is some of the best television ever. Watching this after getting aqcuainted with "Twin Peaks" makes me realize how influential that other show was in setting the bar high for quality TV projects like this one.

Quote Quoting Grouchy (view post)
    The three-part mini saga dealing with Scully's disappearance (Duane Barry / Ascension / One Breath) is some of the best television ever. Watching this after getting aqcuainted with "Twin Peaks" makes me realize how influential that other show was in setting the bar high for quality TV projects like this one.
    Yes - great arc there. Really good, and surprisingly creepy.

Jen and I have been watching this a lot, as well as the first movie.

One of my very favorite episodes is from season 4, titled "Paper Hearts". It guest stars Tom Noonan as a child rapist/murderer.
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

Okay time to go back and watch episodes I did miss, and the ones I've already seen. The two years I was up at UNI I'd stay up late and view repeats of the show on TNT-I loved it when they'd play 2-4 of them each night during the week.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

I watched a really awesome one yesterday, "Die Hand Die Verletzt". I don't remember seeing it before. The opening is already very good - you see a group of high school teachers talking about the plays the students will perform, saying Jesus Christ Superstar is not appropriate and wondering if they can censor "the f-word out of Grease". Then they'll say, "ok, we'll call it a day", they take out red candles and start praying to Satan.

It also has this dialogue:

*Mulder and Scully are arguing about whether it's an X-File or not when toads start raining from the sky*
    Mulder: Well... lunch?
    Scully: Mulder, toads are falling out of the sky!
    Mulder: Guess their parachutes didn't open.

Heh, I think I remember watching that one, or at least most of it. The X-Files has some of the coolest openings, ever.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

Been watching more of the first season. Mostly impressed. I just finished "Ghost in the Machine" last night. It had some very intriguing stuff, especially in its fusion of monster-of-the-week and mythos storytelling, but the evil CPU is too cheeseball to be threatening. Easily the least engaging episode so far.

Quote Quoting Dead & Messed Up (view post)
    Been watching more of the first season. Mostly impressed. I just finished "Ghost in the Machine" last night. It had some very intriguing stuff, especially in its fusion of monster-of-the-week and mythos storytelling, but the evil CPU is too cheeseball to be threatening. Easily the least engaging episode so far.
    There's another real clunker coming along very shortly...

Quote Quoting chrisnu (view post)
    There's another real clunker coming along very shortly...
    Maybe, I dunno which one you're talking about, but the inmediate next episode I assume he's gonna watch is fucking amazing.

I agree that "Ghost in the Machine" is more interesting before we actually see the evil computer doing its dastardly deeds. It's one of a handful of episodes that start with a great premise and get too out there to be effective. Another one a bit like that is "Gender Bender".

Quote Quoting Grouchy (view post)
    Maybe, I dunno which one you're talking about, but the inmediate next episode I assume he's gonna watch is fucking amazing.
    I agree that "Ice" is fantastic. However, "Space" is probably in my top 5 least favorite episodes.

A bunch of seasons (maybe all) became available on Netflix. I'll start watching these immediately.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

It looks like they are. If I can recommend one episode which I think a lot of people haven't seen, it would be "Je Souhaite" (7x21). It's a bit of a "lite" episode, but it's a lot of fun.

Quote Quoting chrisnu (view post)
    I agree that "Ice" is fantastic. However, "Space" is probably in my top 5 least favorite episodes.
    Ah, yeah. That one's below average in every way.

Just watched the "Colony" / "Endgame" two-parter. I'm floored by all the suspense.

Regarding Colony/End Game:

[
    ]

The one that really turned me off in season one was one with a ghost. To me that breaks the reality of the show, how can aliens be your big deal when you've just proved the existence of the afterlife?

Only watched the first two seasons. Humbug was definitely my favourite out of what I watched.

Watched "Fire" and "Beyond the Sea" over the weekend.

I remember promos for the "Fire" episode being my first exposure to the show. I was ten years old, and seeing that creepy guy with the big eyes slyly say, "Time to call 911" (just before igniting an entire friggin hallway!) was one of the images that pulled me into the show. Watching it for the first time now, it's a fun monster-of-the-week with a creepy performance from Matthew Sheppard (Romo Lampkin of BSG). There's also some subtle humor, as with Cecil's cigarette trick and Pheobe's status as an "old flame." Good stuff.

"Beyond the Sea" mostly lives up to its reputation, chiefly due to the performances from Brad Dourif and Gillian Anderson. David Duchovny mostly sits out the episode, and there's some interest in the way Mulder and Scully reverse roles for forty minutes. The segments with Dourif's monochrome visions don't hit that hard, but anytime Boggs and Scully share the screen, there's genuine electricity. The ending of the episode is perfect.

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast