Page 52 of 298 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462102152 ... LastLast
Results 1,276 to 1,300 of 7448

Thread: The NBA Thread

Quote Quoting rocus (view post)
    I don't understand why we don't just send the NBA champs to the Olympic games.
    Well, for one thing, I don't think Danny Ainge would be too keen on that idea. His team just finished up a 100 game season. Not sure he'd want to expand that number any further.

But I agree that, in theory, this would be ideal.

They played like a team during the Fiba Americas tournament last year. Well, everyone but Carmelo Anthony.

Maybe Paul will take the starting position from Kidd. I'm just going on who is going to be part of the team for certain, and the rotation established last year.
    Contagion (Soderbergh, 2011) - 6.5
    The Descendants (Payne, 2011) - 7.5
    Midnight in Paris (Allen, 2011) - 5
    Margin Call (Chandor, 2011) - 6.5
    The Ides of March (Clooney, 2011) - 5

A couple play-making point guards.
    A couple pure shooters.
    A couple big men who can score in the post.
    Six defensive stoppers.
    Gold metal. That's it.

Guys like Carmelo and D-Wade would be helpful if they awarded metals for turnovers and defensive mistakes. They're both liabilities in my opinion. I question the value of even having guys like Kobe and Lebron in this format. None of these guys are any good without dominating the ball.
    letterboxd.

A Star is Born (2018) **1/2
    Unforgiven (1992) ***1/2
    The Sisters Brothers (2018) **
    Crazy Rich Asians (2018) ***
    The Informant! (2009) ***1/2
    BlacKkKlansman (2018) ***1/2
    Sorry to Bother You (2018) **1/2
    Eighth Grade (2018) ***
    Mission Impossible: Fallout (2018) ***
    Ant-Man and The Wasp (2018) **1/2

Scott of the Antarctic Milky Joe's Avatar
    Suns trade talks

Barbosa to Portland for Martell Webster and the 13th pick and another piece.

Diaw to Toronto for TJ Ford and the 17th pick.

The first one might be good, but I don't like getting rid of Diaw for Ford.
    ‎The severed arm perfectly acquitted itself, because of the simplicity of its wishes and its total lack of doubt.

Diaw has an awful contract. Ford would be a very expensive backup, however. I know that Jorge Garbajosa didn't get to play much last year, but he was a key component of the team which won the division earlier, and now he's gone. They could use someone like Diaw, who can play both the 3 and 4. If the Suns pick up Ford, Barbosa will definitely be on his way out. Not enough playing time to share between Ford, Nash, Bell, and Barbosa. I still say that Ford is going to end up a Clipper, if the Clips don't land O.J. Mayo in the draft.

The Raptors also tendered qualifying offers to Jose Calderon and Carlos Delfino. They needed to do that to ensure that they can match offer sheets from any other team.

Allen Iverson will not opt out of the final year of his contract. No other team could pay him almost $21 million.

Not yet official, but it looks like Carlos Boozer and Deron Williams will be Olympians as well. Good. They need someone like Boozer.

Kobe is valuable because of his defense. He concentrated almost solely on defense in the Fiba Americas championship last year, and he was able to lock down the opponent's top scorer every night.

Another rumor floating around is the Lakers trading Lamar Odom to the Nets for Richard Jefferson. I don't like it. Jefferson needs to be a #1 or #2 scorer, and with the Lakers, he'd probably be the #4 option. He's a much better shooter than Odom, but he's not much better at defense, which is what the Lakers need. I don't think it'll happen.

Trevor Ariza will exercise his player option for next year. He's also changing his jersey number from #3 back to #1, which he wore with Orlando. If he keeps working on his jump shot, I think he's going to be very valuable to the Lakers for a long time. Ronny Turiaf wants to stay. Turiaf thinks there's a logjam at the PF position next year; only Gasol and Turiaf will be playing that spot next year. The logjam will be at small forward: Odom, Ariza, Radmanovic, and Walton would all be playing the same position. Sasha Vujacic wasn't so definitive. It's understandable. If another team is going to throw the full midlevel of $5.8 million at him, he'll be in another jersey next year.

Quote Quoting Milky Joe (view post)
    Suns trade talks

Barbosa to Portland for Martell Webster and the 13th pick and another piece.

Diaw to Toronto for TJ Ford and the 17th pick.

The first one might be good, but I don't like getting rid of Diaw for Ford.
    Aye, especially considering that Diaw is one of the Suns' best defensive players and he's about as offensively talented as Ford anyways. The first trade sounds very intrieguing though.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

The Pistons offered Chancey Billups and Tayshaun Prince to the Nuggets for Carmelo Anthony, but the Nuggets declined. The Nuggets made a counteroffer involving Allen Iverson and Marcus Camby, but the Pistons were only interested in Anthony.

I think that the Pistons are going to be glad that their first offer was rejected. I think that's giving up far too much for Anthony. The Nuggets need to do something, though, or they're going to have trouble making minimum roster requirements. They have over $76 million locked up in eight players (Iverson, Anthony, Kenyon Martin, Nene, Camby, Steven Hunter, Chucky Atkins, and Linas Kleiza). That means they have to sign at least five more players with part of their mid-level exception of $5.8 million, bi-annual exception of $1.8 million, or a veteran's minimum salary.

Tayshaun on the Nuggets would be awesome.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting chrisnu (view post)
    The Pistons offered Chancey Billups and Tayshaun Prince to the Nuggets for Carmelo Anthony, but the Nuggets declined.
    Too bad the Pistons could have had all three in 2003 by drafting 'Melo over Milicic with #2 pick. They also could have had Dwayne Wade, Chris Bosh, Chris Kaman, Kirk Hinrich, David West, Boris Diaw, Travis Outlaw, Leandro Barbosa, or Josh Howard. Maybe that's why Joe Dumars keeps firing people. He wants to take the attention away from his horrendous mistake.
    letterboxd.

Unforgiven (1992) ***1/2
    Eighth Grade (2018) ***

It was a mistake, but it worked out OK. If they had drafted Anthony then Tayshaun would not have been a starter and the team chemistry might have been all screwed up and they might have won that title. Of course, there's an argument that they could have won MORE titles with Anthony, but you never know.

That said, the Nuggets are fools for turning that deal down. FOOLS.
    Now reading: The Master Switch by Tim Wu

Quote Quoting Benny Profane (view post)
    It was a mistake, but it worked out OK. If they had drafted Anthony then Tayshaun would not have been a starter and the team chemistry might have been all screwed up and they might have won that title. Of course, there's an argument that they could have won MORE titles with Anthony, but you never know.

That said, the Nuggets are fools for turning that deal down. FOOLS.
    Seriously. I've read some folks concerned with Iverson moving to shooting guard. If the Nuggets would've acquired Billups, Iverson could be moved, as illustrated by their counter-offer. While I don't think Billups is as good a facilitator as Andre Miller was, both he and Prince would bring much-needed perimeter defense. They have enough scorers.

Shawn Marion will not opt out of the final year of his contract with the Heat, but he won't be signing a contract extension, either. This probably increases the likelihood that he will be traded.

This article stipulates that the Heat may send the #2 pick and Mark Blount to the SuperSonics for the #4 pick and Chris Wilcox. I'm not so sure that's a good deal for Seattle. Sure, they get the #2 pick. However, if Chicago picks Derrick Rose with the #1 pick, that means that they're going to add Michael Beasley to a team that already has Jeff Green and Kevin Durant. Having two small forwards (Durant was never a true SG) and a tweener on the same team isn't good balance, and they take on a bad contract in Mark Blount, even though he's better than any center they currently have. Meanwhile, Miami gets to pick either O.J. Mayo or Jerryd Bayless, and add the front-court presence they need in Wilcox.

Carmelo's agent assured forward will not be traded

Well, duh.

The Pacers and Raptors have talked about trading Jermaine O'Neal for a combination of T.J. Ford, Rasho Nesterovic, and another player to make the salaries match. The Raptors may also trade the #17 pick in the draft to the Pacers.

Indiana would do this for a few reasons. They want to rebuild around Danny Granger, and this would help shed salary after this season. They don't have confidence in Jamaal Tinsley being able to play a full season, and having Flip Murray as your starting point guard wasn't cutting it.

If Jermaine O'Neal can remain healthy (and that is a big if), he's exactly the kind of player they need next to Chris Bosh. A rugged, tough defender, as well as someone who can score. They want to move T.J. Ford anyway. They aren't giving up any core players to acquire O'Neal. It's his salary that's a huge gamble. It would definitely be a "win now" move.

My predictions were correct on who would be final selections for the US Olympic team. The final roster is:

Carmelo Anthony
    Carlos Boozer
    Chris Bosh
    Kobe Bryant
    Dwight Howard
    LeBron James
    Jason Kidd
    Chris Paul
    Tayshaun Prince
    Michael Redd
    Dwyane Wade
    Deron Williams

Chad Ford has the Sixers taking Anthony Randolph from LSU with the 16th pick.

Position: PF
    Height: 6-10
    Weight: 197
    School: LSU

The skinny: At some point, Randolph can drop no further.

He hasn't been great in workouts, needs to add a lot of strength and appears to be a few years away from making an impact.

But he has length, athleticism and tremendous upside, and the Sixers, a team on the rise, can afford to wait.

A PF who is 6'10", 197?

I am 5'9", 180 to put that in some perspective.
    Now reading: The Master Switch by Tim Wu

letterboxd.

Unforgiven (1992) ***1/2
    Eighth Grade (2018) ***

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    I love seeing two Boston sports teams in the intro to Sports Center every night.

I'm the same size as Benny, only slightly taller.

I win.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

A PF who is 6'10", 197?
    More or less KG's dimensions out of high school. Seems borderline anorexic, but you have to remember that these are finely tuned athletes with high muscle concentrations and very little body fat.

So, yeah, that's still freakishly thin, but guys that size have had success in the past, and will likely continue to do so in the future. Gone are the days of the eight-second post-up play.

Director
    A PF who is 6'10", 197?

I am 5'9", 180 to put that in some perspective.
    He's a high upside project pick. You draft him knowing that he won't be a major contributor, if at all, for 2-3 years.

Knicks are supposedly trying to trade David Lee and the $8m expiring contract of Malik Rose to Memphis for the #5 overall. I make that deal in a heartbeat and draft Bayless and Galinari. I'd like Mayo but there's no chance he falls past #3.

Quote Quoting shaun (view post)
    Knicks are supposedly trying to trade David Lee and the $8m expiring contract of Malik Rose to Memphis for the #5 overall. I make that deal in a heartbeat and draft Bayless and Galinari. I'd like Mayo but there's no chance he falls past #3.
    Makes sense. Trade away the only player worth a damn on the entire roster and forfeit potential cap space that actually means something in a market like NYC.
    letterboxd.

Unforgiven (1992) ***1/2
    Eighth Grade (2018) ***

The Pacers and Raptors have agreed in principle to trade Jermaine O'Neal for T.J. Ford, Rasho Nesterovic, and the #17 pick in tomorrow's NBA draft. Another player will have to be included by Toronto in order for salaries to match.

It's a steal, talent-wise, for the Raptors, but I understand why the Pacers did it. They're trying to shed salary to rebuild around Danny Granger; O'Neal is in "win now" mode, and that's not where the Pacers are.

The Nuggets traded their #20 pick to Charlotte for a protected first-round pick in the future: through the top 14 in 2009, top 12 in '10, top 10 in '11, top 8 in '12, top 3 in '13, and unprotected in #14. Essentially, the Nuggets gave away the pick so that they don't have to potentially pay a draftee.

The Trail Blazers also sold their #27 pick to the Hornets for cash considerations.

Another trade rumor going around is Chauncey Billups and Rasheed Wallace for Baron Davis and Al Harrington. I'm not sure if these players fit the style of play of the other teams. Detroit gets worse defensively, and Golden State gets worse offensively.

Etan Thomas, who missed last season after undergoing open-heart surgery, has been cleared for all basketball activity and is practicing again. That's great news.

A candid interview with Larry Hughes. Riding with ... Larry Hughes

Director
    Quote Quoting DavidSeven (view post)
    Makes sense. Trade away the only player worth a damn on the entire roster and forfeit potential cap space that actually means something in a market like NYC.
    How is removing Lee and his soon to be $8-10m salary, plus the salary of Malik Rose in exchange for a rookie slot deal at all detrimental to our cap situation? If anything it helps it enormously.

As for Lee, meh. He's our best trade chip and doesn't fit into D'Antoni's system. Blow up the entire team. Wilson Chandler is the only one on the roster I want to keep, aside from Marbury's expiring contract.

letterboxd.

Unforgiven (1992) ***1/2
    Eighth Grade (2018) ***

Director
    Yi and ridiculous amounts of cap space for Jay Z to offer LeBron his contract. Makes sense.

Can someone tell me what then was the point of drafting Yi in the first place? Still I think this trade benefits the Bucks. Interesting.

Also I won't be watching the draft tonight. But I will check back later to see who the Suns, Jazz, and Bucks took.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?