Page 12 of 298 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262112 ... LastLast

Thread: The NBA Thread

Evil mind, evil sword. Ivan Drago's Avatar
    The Bulls should go after Larry Brown lol.
    Last Five Films I've Seen (Out of 5)

The Boy, The Mole, The Fox and the Horse (Mackesy, 2022) 4.5
    Puss In Boots: The Last Wish (Crawford, 2022) 4
    Confess, Fletch (Mottola, 2022) 3.5
    M3GAN (Johnstone, 2023) 3.5
    Turning Red (Shi, 2022) 4.5
    Tokyo Story (Ozu, 1953) 5

615 Film
    Letterboxd

Quote Quoting Ivan Drago (view post)
    The Bulls should go after Larry Brown lol.
    A slow-down offense is the last thing the Bulls need.

I'm pretty sure they'll end up like they did last year. Horrible start until they make all the connections.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

My bet on the next Bulls coach is Rick Carlisle.
    Contagion (Soderbergh, 2011) - 6.5
    The Descendants (Payne, 2011) - 7.5
    Midnight in Paris (Allen, 2011) - 5
    Margin Call (Chandor, 2011) - 6.5
    The Ides of March (Clooney, 2011) - 5

TREVOR ARIZA!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1v6OIFNme6w

14 points, 7 rebounds, 3 assists, 2 steals, and 1 poster on Grant Hill. Dude needs to be the regular starter at SF.

Quote Quoting chrisnu (view post)
    TREVOR ARIZA!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1v6OIFNme6w

14 points, 7 rebounds, 3 assists, 2 steals, and 1 poster on Grant Hill. Dude needs to be the regular starter at SF.
    I knew the Lakers would beat the Suns today. I just had that feeling, plus I think this Lakers team is slightly better than last season's bunch.

Scott Skiles wasn't a really good coach by any stretch but was it really his fault the team was struggling? Most of the core players' production is down from a season ago and the front office has made some questionable moves. I think the GM should have been fired before Skiles. In other words I agree with/echo chrisnu's previous comments.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

Evil mind, evil sword. Ivan Drago's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    A slow-down offense is the last thing the Bulls need.

I'm pretty sure they'll end up like they did last year. Horrible start until they make all the connections.
    I was just joking about Larry Brown. Personally, I think he's done.
    Last Five Films I've Seen (Out of 5)

The Boy, The Mole, The Fox and the Horse (Mackesy, 2022) 4.5
    Puss In Boots: The Last Wish (Crawford, 2022) 4
    Confess, Fletch (Mottola, 2022) 3.5
    M3GAN (Johnstone, 2023) 3.5
    Turning Red (Shi, 2022) 4.5
    Tokyo Story (Ozu, 1953) 5

615 Film
    Letterboxd

This is rich. :lol:

Trade rumors bothering Heat guard Williams

CLEVELAND - Yes, Heat guard Jason Williams said, the rumors have hit home.

"The thing about it is how it affects your family," Williams said before scoring nine points in Tuesday's 96-82 loss to the Cavaliers.

With the trading deadline less than two months away, Williams said he can't help feel he's viewed more as an expiring contract than a needed contributor.

"We're like some high-paid prostitutes anyway in this league," he said. "They just use and get rid of us whenever they want."

Williams is in the final year of a contract that pays $8.9 million this season.

"If it happens, it happens," he said.

What Williams doesn't appreciate is being scapegoated.

"Losing, everybody's just going to start to look for reasons why," he said. "Blame this, blame that, blame him, blame me."
    You're being paid nearly nine million dollars. "If it happens, it happens" is not your mentality, otherwise you wouldn't be complaining.

Cleveland guard Damon Jones wants to return to the Heat.

"Oh, man, that would be the icing on the cake for me," he said. "Especially with the group of guys that they have now, still, some of the key guys that were there when I spent the best year of my career. It would be special."

Jones was one of the league's leading three-point shooters in 2004-05, his only season with the Heat. He also formed a close bond with center Shaquille O'Neal and guard Dwyane Wade.

Jones, who is averaging 5.5 points per game while shooting 40.7 percent from the field, including 38 percent on three-pointers, feels he'd fit in well once again.

"Man, I'm very comfortable with the system," he said. "I don't know if I could really say what I want to say, but I would definitely enjoy being back in that system and trying to get back that success we had some years ago."

After Cleveland's game against Utah, Jones was in the locker room singing Christmas carols a few days ago and substituting trade references for key phrases.
    You used that season in order to get paid, you assclown. If you really wanted to stay in Miami, you could've re-signed with the team.

In light of Scott Skiles' dismissal, Pete Myers is coaching the Bulls tonight, and assistant Jim Boylan interviewed for the interim coaching job for the rest of the season.

I've read some forums where Knicks fans want Isiah Thomas to fire himself as head coach, and hire Skiles. :lol: Well, changing the conditions in New York is imperative.

T-Mac out for another week

Houston is never going to be more than what they are, a first-round exit, as long as their core players are made of glass.

Scott of the Antarctic Milky Joe's Avatar
    Stoudemire: 30 points, 15 rebounds, 4 blocks in 26 minutes. That's more like it.
    ‎The severed arm perfectly acquitted itself, because of the simplicity of its wishes and its total lack of doubt.

Quote Quoting Milky Joe (view post)
    Stoudemire: 30 points, 15 rebounds, 4 blocks in 26 minutes. That's more like it.
    Not as difficult to do if you're being guarded by Chris Kaman, but still very impressive. Meanwhile, Kaman shot 4-17 and had five turnovers. He's gotten absolutely torched by Stoudemire and Andrew Bynum recently.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200....ap/index.html

It baffles me how Shaq still gets votes. People still watch basketball, right?

Quote Quoting DSNT (view post)

At first I thought he was going to be the leading Center for the East and my head would've exploded. Good thing I clicked on the link.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting DSNT (view post)

Name recognition, I suppose. That explains why Vince Carter has received so many votes, and Richard Jefferson isn't even on the list.

At least the fans only vote the starters. Whoever coaches the team won't pick O'Neal as a reserve.

Ben Gordon has been benched! Chris Duhon is replacing him in the starting lineup. A little humbling for someone who just turned down $10 million a year because he thinks he's a big-time starter. Of course, Gordon was the first rookie to win the NBA Sixth Man of the Year Award in 2004-05.

The Spurs called up Keith Langford from their D-League affiliate, and released Darius Washington. I thought that Washington was playing well, and they needed another point guard with Brent Barry out, at least temporarily. Washington has the option to try to find a team in Europe, or play in the D-League and hope for a call-up with another team.

Denver released Jelani McCoy for the third time. He had been brought back two previous times, due to injuries to the Nuggets' frontcourt. A similar thing happened with Mike Wilks. However, Wilks just signed with the Wizards, at least until Antonio Daniels is back from injury, and McCoy's agent says a guaranteed deal with another team is in the making. Yikes!

Livingston makes progress on knee

Point guard Shaun Livingston is scheduled for another checkup in Alabama next week to test the progress of his injured left knee.

If everything checks out with Dr. James Andrews, who is considered one of the nation's top orthopedic surgeons, Livingston will move on to the next phase of his rehabilitation: Regaining the explosiveness in his left knee that he had before his gruesome February injury when he tore three ligaments and dislocated a kneecap.

"It'll be trying to get that back," Livingston said. "The explosion. Really planting off and jumping on it."

Livingston is still hoping to resume practice with the team in February with a possible return the next month. He is fitted with a custom-made knee brace and has traveled with the team the last month.
    I also found this tidbit regarding Tim Thomas very interesting:

Tim Thomas says he hopes to return Wednesday when the Clippers play host to the Hornets.

Thomas hurt his left knee last week against the San Antonio Spurs.

"The good thing is I didn't tear anything or break anything," he said. "Right now, I have to deal with the soreness and it being stiff. Once I get that out the way, I'll definitely be on the court."

Thomas said he had a similar injury two seasons ago while with the Phoenix Suns in the playoffs but played through the pain.
    So, it's possible to play through the pain in order to get the contract with the Clippers, but when the team is already suffering through more serious injuries and need you on the court, you can't manage.

The Jazz traded Gordan Giricek to the 76ers for Kyle Korver. That was mostly done to get Giricek away from Jerry Sloan, with whom Giricek has been quarreling all season about playing time. Giricek was recently banned from the team before their recent four-game road trip, and was reinstated to the team yesterday. Oops.

Regardless, it's an upgrade in talent for Utah. However, it still doesn't resolve their dilemma of who's going to be the backup shooting guard. By default, you'd think it would be Korver, but Sloan has also been trying out C.J. Miles and Ronnie Price in that role. Korver can swing over to the small forward position, so he'll get minutes.

Interesting note with the Heat: now that Jason Williams has gone down with another injury, and backup Chris Quinn is also injured, rather than playing Smush Paker, Pat Riley had Dwyane Wade starting at point guard, and Ricky Davis starting at shooting guard. Although they've lost both games with that lineup, it's been successful numbers-wise for the two. Here's what Riley said about Smush:

"To be very honest with you, we've been trying to trade him," Riley said of the free-agent he signed in the offseason for $4.7 million over two seasons. "So if it doesn't work, he comes back and plays."
    How encouraging. Also, Shaq sat out last night's game, and was Earl Barron started in his place, instead of Mark Blount. I really don't know what Blount did to get into Riley's doghouse.

Trevor Ariza started in place of the injured Luke Walton, and had 12 points, 5 rebounds, 4 assists, two steals, and a block in 25 minutes. Is it wrong that I think Walton being injured is a good thing, in a way? It's affording Ariza more playing time, and he continues to look more comfortable with the team. Some work with shooting coach Craig Hodges, and we have a quality starting small forward for a long time.

Happy Hanukkah from the NBA:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=STXCPg-PHhE

[
    ]

Ariza NEEDS to start tonight against Boston. They need him playing Paul Pierce on defense, from the start of the game, or they are going to get burned. It's going to be tough already.

I also found out the Lakers are wearing the throwback jerseys AND the short shorts tonight! Where's that guitar man when you need him?

Gah, that was brutal. Maybe the short-shorts jinxed them.

Also:

http://www.nba.com/nba_news/artest_maybesurgery.html

SACRAMENTO, Calif., Dec. 30 (AP) --Sacramento's Ron Artest could face possible surgery this week to remove chipped bone fragments in his right elbow, a team spokesman said.

Artest missed his second straight game Sunday against the Phoenix Suns. The Kings are 2-8 without him in the lineup, and went winless in their four-game homestand.
    I suppose that possibly gives them an excuse to tank the season, in order to secure a high draft pick. Their top three players are all out for at least two more weeks.

:sad:

:|

[]

TMFI.

hahaha

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

I like the looks of this:

Phil Jackson: the roster is set

Not going back?: Luke Walton and Sasha Vujacic, who are both nursing ankle sprains, dressed for Sunday's game, although Jackson was uncertain about how much they would play.

Jackson also indicated that once his team is healthy, he might not change the starting lineup, which could mean Andrew Bynum and Trevor Ariza as starters and Walton and Kwame Brown as reserves.

"(Ariza) really helps the first unit, because they get kind of complacent and they need an energy guy out there," Jackson said. "I've been wanting, all year, to play Luke with the second unit. That's an important aspect of our team, when he comes in and plays well off the bench and gives the starters some relief.

"I may stay with the lineup the way it is."
    Fisher/Bryant/Ariza/Odom/Bynum gives us the best combination of offensive energy and defensive intensity available at the beginning of the game. I believe that Bynum needs to get starter minutes to continue to develop, but with Kwame on the second unit, that's not exercising his best assest - man-to-man defense - against the opponent's best offensive players. Farmar/Vujacic/Walton/Radmanovic/Brown is going to be pretty anemic offensively, based on the results this season. Additionally, the player rotations where Bryant, Odom, and Bynum on the bench need to stop. They are our best offensive players, and the team had great difficulty scoring without an offensive anchor.

Antonio Daniels is back for the Wizards, who subsequently waived Mike Wilks. Now that Troy Hudson looks like he may be lost for the season after hip surgery, perhaps the Warriors will sign Wilks.

Steve Francis is out indefinitely with bi-lateral quadricep tendinitis.

Good news for Kings fans: Kevin Martin may be back within a week, and Mike Bibby may be back on January 16. However, Ron Artest will be out for at least two weeks. Not good news for John Salmons fans, though. :sad:

Best Boy
    Quote Quoting chrisnu (view post)
    Antonio Daniels is back for the Wizards, who subsequently waived Mike Wilks. Now that Troy Hudson looks like he may be lost for the season after hip surgery, perhaps the Warriors will sign Wilks.

Steve Francis is out indefinitely with bi-lateral quadricep tendinitis.

Good news for Kings fans: Kevin Martin may be back within a week, and Mike Bibby may be back on January 16. However, Ron Artest will be out for at least two weeks. Not good news for John Salmons fans, though. :sad:
    John Salmons to the Lakers for Luke Walton. :P

Scott of the Antarctic Milky Joe's Avatar
    []

:lol:
    ‎The severed arm perfectly acquitted itself, because of the simplicity of its wishes and its total lack of doubt.