Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: The NBA Thread

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Ain't that just the way EyesWideOpen's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Philip J. Fry (view post)
    Between him, Ed Davis and Julius Randle they at least now have a decent frontcourt. They will still be lottery-bound, though.
    If Kobe stays healthy there is no way they're lottery bound. He's too great of a player.
    TV Recently Finished:
    Catastrophe: Season 1 (2015) A
    Rectify: Season 3 (2015) A-
    Bojack Horseman: Season 2 (2015) A
    True Detective: Season 2 (2015) A-
    Wayward Pines: Season 1 (2015) B

Currently Playing: Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise (replay) (XB1) / Contradiction (PC)
    Recently Finished: Everybody's Gone to the Rapture (PS4) A+ / Life is Strange: Ep 4 (PS4) A / Bastion (replay) (PS4) B+

Quote Quoting EyesWideOpen (view post)
    If Kobe stays healthy there is no way they're lottery bound. He's too great of a player.
    If they were in the East, maybe. The West has too many teams that are deeper and more talented than the Lakers (and battle-tested) even with Kobe at his best. The only way I could see them get in is if one of the weaker playoff contenders like Portland, Houston and Phoenix, slipped and slipped hard.

Quote Quoting Philip J. Fry (view post)
    If he were in the East, maybe. The West has too many teams that are deeper and more talented than the Lakers (and battle-tested) even with Kobe at his best. The only way I could see them get in is if one of the weaker playoff contenders like Portland and Houston, slipped and slipped hard.
    I forgot lottery is every team that doesn't make the playoffs. I was thinking it was just the bottom teams. I think the Lakers will end up 9 or 10 in the west.
    TV Recently Finished:

Currently Playing: Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise (replay) (XB1) / Contradiction (PC)
    Recently Finished: Everybody's Gone to the Rapture (PS4) A+ / Life is Strange: Ep 4 (PS4) A / Bastion (replay) (PS4) B+

He's playing for Team USA this summer so I think if his health wasn't right then he would have just waited for the regular season.
    TV Recently Finished:

Just watched both the Sam Bowie and the Brittney Griner ESPN docs. Both fantastic pieces. It's insane that Griner only makes $49,000 in the WNBA and then plays in China during the offseason and makes $600,000.
    TV Recently Finished:

I always think this is a soccer thread.

Quote Quoting ledfloyd (view post)
    I always think this is a soccer thread.
    Gross.
    TV Recently Finished:

Paul George is likely out for the year. Severe leg injury (complete knee bend) during scrimmage of Team USA.

Horrible. It looks worse than Shaun Livingston's injury. :|

Devastating for him as a player, and all the worse for it happening outside of an official NBA environment.

Just horrible.
    The Boat People - 9
    The Power of the Dog - 7.5
    The King of Pigs - 7

The Pacers are screwed.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

He's no guarantee for 2015 either. Remember Kevin Ware of Louisville had a gruesome compound fracture in last year's NCAA tourney and I don't think he's played since.

What's weird is I was watching the USAB game, then must have turned it off right before George's injury. Good thing I didn't see it. Don't want to.

Early reports are indicating that Kevin Love is headed to Cleveland in exchange for Andrew Wiggins and a protected 2015 first round draft pick. And the TWolves continue their role as a farm team for NBA teams who's owners want them to actually win some games here and there.
    Losing is like fertilizer: it stinks for a while, then you get used to it. (Tony, Hibbing)

I'll be curious how the Cavs's depth is impacted after this. Varajao will break after 25 games or so, and while Love being there will mitigate that fact, do they honestly think Varajao and Brendan Haywood will provide enough defense (and spacing) to allow them access to the top of the Eastern conference. This deal is dependent in many ways on Dion Waiters and Tristan Thompson becoming serviceable companions, especially with defenses converging on LeBron, Love, and Irving (who is also doomed to break).
    The Boat People - 9
    The Power of the Dog - 7.5
    The King of Pigs - 7

It's okay. Once Wiggins becomes a reliable superstar, the Wolves will just trade him to the Lakers or Knicks for other raw talent.
    Sure why not?

STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI (Rian Johnson) - 9
    STRONGER (David Gordon Green) - 6
    THE DISASTER ARTIST (James Franco) - 7
    THE FLORIDA PROJECT (Sean Baker) - 9
    LADY BIRD (Greta Gerwig) - 8

"Hitchcock is really bad at suspense."
    - Stay Puft

Too much responsibility Kurosawa Fan's Avatar
    Quote Quoting dreamdead (view post)
    I'll be curious how the Cavs's depth is impacted after this. Varajao will break after 25 games or so, and while Love being there will mitigate that fact, do they honestly think Varajao and Brendan Haywood will provide enough defense (and spacing) to allow them access to the top of the Eastern conference. This deal is dependent in many ways on Dion Waiters and Tristan Thompson becoming serviceable companions, especially with defenses converging on LeBron, Love, and Irving (who is also doomed to break).
    Not to mention that Love's history of injury is checkered as well. I can't help but feel the Cavs have sold their future to win now, but don't have a big three dominant enough to actually win. For Cleveland's sake (the city) I kind of hope I'm wrong.

Kevin Love is a top five player in the league.
    TV Recently Finished:

I don't see it. Bosh loaded up on stats with Toronto and actually took them to the playoffs with no help. On a great team, he's #2/#3. I think the same of Love. Stat monster on a average/bad team. Al Jefferson did the same thing in Minnesota (though Love is better).

Top 5 in the NBA? He'll be the 3rd best player in Cleveland, and he's definitely not on the same level as Kevin Durant and Chris Paul. Those guys win games.
    letterboxd.

A Star is Born (2018) **1/2
    Unforgiven (1992) ***1/2
    The Sisters Brothers (2018) **
    Crazy Rich Asians (2018) ***
    The Informant! (2009) ***1/2
    BlacKkKlansman (2018) ***1/2
    Sorry to Bother You (2018) **1/2
    Eighth Grade (2018) ***
    Mission Impossible: Fallout (2018) ***
    Ant-Man and The Wasp (2018) **1/2

Too much responsibility Kurosawa Fan's Avatar
    Quote Quoting DavidSeven (view post)
    I don't see it. Bosh loaded up on stats with Toronto and actually took them to the playoffs with no help. On a great team, he's #2/#3. I think the same of Love. Stat monster on a average/bad team. Al Jefferson did the same thing in Minnesota (though Love is better).

Top 5 in the NBA? He'll be the 3rd best player in Cleveland, and he's definitely not on the same level as Kevin Durant and Chris Paul. Those guys win games.
    He's no top five, but you're discounting the fact that he plays in the West. If MN was in the East they're a playoff team three years running, and probably through a couple rounds as well.

I watched about half of the Wolves games this year and Love is a top tier player who is saddled with a coach who has forgotten how to coach, one of the worst benches in the league and a point guard who can't shoot. The only other solid player on the team is their center who missed a huge majority of the season. I mean cmon the first two guys off their bench is Alexy Shved who is abysmal and JJ Barea who thinks he should shoot everytime he gets the ball and is good for about 9 turnovers in his 20 minutes of play. Love averaged 26 points, 13 rebounds, and almost 5 assists a game. He also is a rare big who is 1 or 2 of the best rebounders in the league and also one of the best three point shooters.

I can't take anyone seriously who thinks Kyrie Irving is a better player than Love.
    TV Recently Finished:

Win win for both sides. Cleveland is hungry for a title. They are done waiting. As a Suns fan I know that feeling.
    BLOG

Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular

James. Durant. Wall. Griffin. Paul.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Wall at #3? Eh...I'm not sure.
    BLOG

Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular

Bill Simmons gets it.

John Wall better than Kevin Love? Oh E you're hilarious. I'm willing to accept people might think Griffin or Paul is better even though Love destroys Griffin almost every time they play but Wall?
    TV Recently Finished:

James. Durant. Love.

And then the rest.
    Sure why not?

STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI (Rian Johnson) - 9
    STRONGER (David Gordon Green) - 6
    THE DISASTER ARTIST (James Franco) - 7
    THE FLORIDA PROJECT (Sean Baker) - 9
    LADY BIRD (Greta Gerwig) - 8

"Hitchcock is really bad at suspense."
    - Stay Puft

LeBron, Durant, Paul, Love... not sure who is 5. I don't think Griffin is. Maybe Melo in a good day?

I'd say George was #5 before the injury.

Going forward, I think Anthony Davis will probably be that guy.

Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast