Page 11 of 298 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast

Thread: The NBA Thread

Quote Quoting chrisnu (view post)
    Either Pierce or Richard Jefferson, I'm having a hard time choosing.
    I think you have to go with Pierce. It's hard to justify selecting two all-stars from a team as bad as The Nets.

EDIT: Granted, they should be worse considering how badly Lawrence Frank is running this team. Can anyone come up with any reason why Jason Collins (Mr. "I can't score, rebound, block shots, or pass") and Malik Allen (Malik Allen!) are starting while Sean Williams, their only big with any upside, has received two straight DNPs?

Quote Quoting DavidSeven (view post)
    I think you have to go with Pierce. It's hard to justify selecting two all-stars from a team is bad as The Nets.
    Plus, you gotta go beyond stats. Pierce is far superior of a player then Richard Jefferson.

Same went for me. Deron Williams looks to have better stats, but Paul is such a better player.

That probably doesn't justify me putting Carmelo in, but I had to pick at least one Denver Nugget.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    That probably doesn't justify me putting Carmelo in, but I had to pick at least one Denver Nugget.
    If there weren't so many All-Star quality guards in the West, I would've put Iverson as a reserve.

Here's a different, perhaps more interesting list. Players who I'd like to see jump to All-Star caliber play, but haven't made it. They're eligible, but I can't justify voting for them.

Corey Maggette
    Josh Smith
    Gerald Wallace
    Luol Deng
    Kirk Hinrich (ugh)
    Andre Iguodala
    Al Jefferson
    Emeka Okafor

They'll have plenty more chances, although Maggette isn't a young man any more. He needs to get out of LA.
    Contagion (Soderbergh, 2011) - 6.5
    The Descendants (Payne, 2011) - 7.5
    Midnight in Paris (Allen, 2011) - 5
    Margin Call (Chandor, 2011) - 6.5
    The Ides of March (Clooney, 2011) - 5

I am somehow in first place in the Yahoo public league I'm currently in. Whoa. This won't last but I'm going to enjoy it for now.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

The Bobcats traded Primoz Brezec and Walter Herrmann to the Pistons for Nazr Mohammed. The Bobcats were desperate for another big man who can rebound and defend, and they got one. Detroit waived Ronald Dupree to create an extra roster spot. The Pistons shed Mohammed's contract, and added more firepower to the bench, behind Flip Murray and Jarvis Hayes. The only backup bigs they had were Mohammed, Amir Johnson, and Jason Maxiell. Mohammed's going to start in Charlotte.

Scott of the Antarctic Milky Joe's Avatar
    umm.... Baron Davis? pretty much.
    ‎The severed arm perfectly acquitted itself, because of the simplicity of its wishes and its total lack of doubt.

Quote Quoting Milky Joe (view post)
    umm.... Baron Davis? pretty much.
    Kobe held him in check for much of the night. Once Kobe became hampered with the groin injury, Jackson put Fisher on Davis, and got torched.

Lakers gift-wrapped that victory.

Scott of the Antarctic Milky Joe's Avatar
    I didn't see too much gift wrapping on those two back to back tough contested 3 pointers that Baron nailed to win the game.
    ‎The severed arm perfectly acquitted itself, because of the simplicity of its wishes and its total lack of doubt.

Good news for Clippers fans:

Brand cleared to increase activity

By Jonathan Abrams, Los Angeles Times Staff Writer
    December 15, 2007

MEMPHIS, Tenn. -- Injured forward Elton Brand received clearance to begin dribbling and taking stationary shots after a recent checkup at the Delaware facility where he had his ruptured Achilles' tendon surgically repaired.

Brand, the Clippers' franchise player who is recovering from the injury sustained in the off-season, is set to start the activities on Monday, according to Dr. Craig Morgan of Christiana Care's Wilmington Hospital.

"We are pretty much still with the original plan," said Morgan, who performed Brand's surgery. "The rest of his rehabilitation is going to be getting his strength back."

Brand has said he is optimistically targeting February as a return month.

He is also set to start running more aggressively and will use a treadmill specifically designed to lower body weight at the Clippers' practice facility.

"He looks good," Morgan said. "He is right on schedule."

Morgan added that Brand has about 75% of his overall strength in his left Achilles' tendon and will need to be at 90% before being cleared to practice.

Can Wizards fans take any more bad news?

Daniels Has Sprained Knee

By Ivan Carter
    Washington Post Staff Writer
    Saturday, December 15, 2007; Page E01

Washington Wizards guard Antonio Daniels is expected to miss two to four weeks with a sprained medial collateral ligament in his right knee, an injury he suffered during Thursday night's 104-91 victory over the Miami Heat.

The injury occurred during the second quarter but Daniels continued to play and finished with 11 points, 5 assists and 2 rebounds, helping the Wizards snap a 10-game losing streak in Miami.

The Wizards (12-10) have won three straight and have gone 9-5 since three-time all-star Gilbert Arenas suffered a knee injury on Nov. 16. Daniels has averaged 11 points and 6.6 assists per game since taking Arenas's spot in the starting lineup. For the season, Daniels is averaging 8.2 points and 5.1 assists in 30.1 minutes.

With Daniels out, the Wizards are left with nine healthy players for tonight's game against the Sacramento Kings. Wheaton native and former University of Virginia star Roger Mason Jr. is one option to start in Daniels's place for Coach Eddie Jordan. Another option could be rookie first-round pick Nick Young.

Portland has won seven in a row, and three in a row on the road. They're 12-12. I wonder where they would be with Oden.

The Celtics are 20-2. The only other time they've had that well a start, they won the championship in '63-'64.

Kobe was questionable for tonight's game, and then he scores 32 on 50% shooting, along with 8 rebounds. :lol: Bynum also had the second-most shots on the team. That needs to happen more often; he's our second-best player. He also had 9 rebounds and 6 blocks.

Eddie Jones Needs Glasses:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6M-Ppp3JVg

:|

Can't say I blame them. This current mess is mostly his fault, although Scott Layden before him wasn't any better.

The Celtics fall at home. They're 0-2 against Detroit and Orlando (the only two really good teams they've played all season).

I have a question for Doc Rivers: How do you run a play for Paul Pierce with the game on the line after Ray Allen just hit a cold blooded three pointer to tie the game and has been hitting the biggest shots for you all season?

Alonzo Mourning ruptured his patella tendon tonight against the Hawks. He may be out for six months. If that's the case, he may not play again this year, and he had mentioned that this will be his last season.

If so, what a horrible way to go out.

Heat's Mourning tears knee tendon while playing defense vs. Hawks

ATLANTA -- Alonzo Mourning refused to leave what might have been the last game of his career on a stretcher.

After tearing the patellar tendon in his right knee in Miami's game against Atlanta on Wednesday night, the 37-year-old Heat center was placed on the stretcher, but he refused the ride.

"That's not the way I envisioned myself walking off the court for the last time in my career," he said. "I've been through so much in my life. If I had to crawl off the court I would have. Nobody was going to push me off on a stretcher off the court. That wasn't going to happen."

Mourning already has said there is "zero chance" of playing another season.

"We tried to help him up and he just said 'It's over, it's over,"' Miami's Udonis Haslem said.

Mourning sat up, rose to his feet and limped to the Miami bench with the assistance of teammates. He received an ovation as he made the slow, painful walk to the bench.

Miami spokesman Michael Lissack said an examination at Philips Arena, including X-rays, revealed the injury. Mourning will have more tests Thursday with team physician Dr. Harlan Selesnick, including an MRI.

"Dr. Selesnick will let me know tomorrow," said Mourning, who was on crutches after the game. "But obviously it's going to require some kind of surgical procedure. And it'll be done as soon as possible."

Lissack said it wasn't immediately known if the injury could end Mourning's season.

Injuries such as this typically take at least three months to heal.

When asked about Mourning's outlook, Heat coach Pat Riley said "I think we should really wait on that. But it's not good."

"I'd never put anything past Zo. But the knee injury is ... sad for me because I know him. I've been really close to him. It's sad to see him really be hurt."

Mourning is in his 15th year in the NBA, including 11 seasons with Miami.

Mourning was hurt when attempting to defend the basket on a layup by Atlanta's Mario West. Replays showed Mourning's knee buckled without contact from West as Mourning was about to jump.

"When I planted I felt like my foot slipped," Mourning said. "It happened so fast though. It really did. I didn't even watch the tape. From what everybody else told me that was watching it, they said it looked like I slipped."

Mourning is a seven-time All-Star and two-time defensive player of the year.

His 15 years in the league do not include a full year he missed because of kidney problems that led to him getting a transplant in 2003.

"Each of you here know I've been through a whole lot worse than this," Mourning said. "It's disappointing to even think that my career would end this way, but there are so many other things that life has to offer for me. I have a great family and I have so many other opportunities out there.

Earlier this season, Pat Riley mentioned the possibility of making serious lineup changes, in order to find a more effective player rotation. So far, substituting Anfernee Hardaway or Dorell Wright for Ricky Davis or Chris Quinn for Jason Williams isn't what I'd consider very serious. Here's a suggestion:

Start Mark Blount, and move Shaq to the bench. Blount is, honestly, a better offensive player at this point. He's a poor defender and rebounder, but Shaq's abilities in those areas have greatly decreased. The Heat have executed their offense better with Mourning on the floor. Now that he's not available, it's time to move Blount up in the rotation.

Somebody tell the Blazers that they don't have Greg Oden back yet.
    Coming to America (Landis, 1988) **
    The Beach Bum (Korine, 2019) *1/2
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Fugue (Smoczynska, 2018) ***1/2
    Prisoners (Villeneuve, 2013) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Oslo, August 31st (J. Trier, 2011) ****
    Climax (NoƩ, 2018) **1/2
    Fighting With My Family (Merchant, 2019) **
    Upstream Color (Carruth, 2013) ***

The Blazers definitely have a squad. They have a bunch of talent and everyone on the team is a "good character" guy. Mix that with a strong coach like McMillain, and you have a recipe for success. It reminds me of the methodology used to build the Seahawks (also owned by Paul Allen).

Keep an eye on Travis Outlaw. That guy will be scary-good if he pushes himself enough. If they keep this group together, they are going to be positively beastly when Oden gets healthy.

EDIT: They need to make one last move: get rid of Darius Miles ASAP. Do not let him return to your team once he's healthy.

In addition to tearing his patellar tendon, Mourning also tore his quadriceps tendon. He had surgery today, will be in a cast for a month, a brace for another month, and in rehabilitation for six months. He hasn't announced his retirement, however.

Theo Ratliff had surgery on his knee - again - and had a meniscus tear repaired. He could be out another six weeks. It's unfortunate that he can't stay healthy. I thought he proved in the few games he played that he can still contribute when healthy.

The Blazers have won 10 in a row. Wow.

This is good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWPsSFfaUMU

BTW, Chuck Hayes is shooting 29% from the free throw line this year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55zIDCYSOMs

[
    ]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wQq9YWZ568

Avery Johnson had his #6 retired by the Spurs. The Spurs aren't my team, so I'm a little curious about the choice. Usually the rafters are reserved for the stars, not role players. I don't know, this would be like Byron Scott or A.C. Green having their number retired by the Lakers. Sure, they were integral parts to championship teams, but they just weren't on the same level as Kareem, Magic, and Worthy.

I'm also reading rumors that the Heat want to acquire Mike Miller from Memphis, perhaps along with Stromile Swift. I'd like to see what kind of trade package could be concocted. Probably something like Miller for Jason Williams, and Swift for Ricky Davis. Miami gets some help in a situation where they need to win now, and Memphis gets the cap room to sign a big-name free agent next summer.

Kobe Bryant became the youngest player to score 20,000 points. However, he had a huge head start over Wilt Chamberlain, Michael Jordan, Oscar Robertson, and Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, by going straight to the NBA out of high school.

30 players are in the 20,000-Point Club: 18 are in the Basketball Hall of Fame; 10 are not yet eligible. Only eligible players not in Hall: Tom Chambers, and Adrian Dantley.

Why can't all sports broadcasters be as passionate as this?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=uNEHqPbt48c

[
    ]

Unfortunate when anyone goes down for the season, particularly a player already struggling with injuries.

With microfracture surgery looming, season over for Hawks' Claxton

Speedy Claxton, who signed a four-year deal worth $25 million with the Atlanta Hawks in July 2006 and is facing microfracture surgery, will miss the rest of the season due to an injury to his left knee according to a published report.

Claxton is "contemplating his next step" and hasn't made a decision about whether or not he will have the surgery that could help extend his career, the Atlanta Journal-Constitution reported. The injury could mean he's played his last game in the NBA.

"This is something you have to think through before doing anything one way or the other," Claxton told the paper about the possibility of surgery.

Claxton has not played a game this season and only made 42 appearances last year. He received the recommendation for microfracture surgery from noted sports surgeon Dr. Richard Steadman, according to the Journal-Constitution.

Wow. It's not a shock, but the timing. Yeesh. Also, I really don't think that many of the Bulls' struggles can be attributed to Skiles. All of his key players have been underperforming, and they didn't make any moves to really improve the team in the off-season. That can be attributed to John Paxson, who did the firing, not Skiles.

Bulls fire coach Skiles; no replacement named yet

CHICAGO -- Scott Skiles was fired Monday as coach of the Chicago Bulls, who have one of the worst records in the Eastern Conference.

Skiles was upbeat when contacted by The Chicago Tribune.

"Hardly a day goes by that I don't demand accountability and stress results," Skiles told the newspaper. "Today was my day to be held accountable."

Skiles told The Tribune that he wasn't bothered by being fired on Christmas Eve.

"The fact that it's Christmas Eve is neither here nor there," Skiles told the newspaper. "The timing doesn't bother me. I'm not destitute."

The underachieving Bulls (9-16) have lost three of their last four and were booed throughout by the home crowd during Saturday night's 116-98 loss to the Houston Rockets.

"I felt like something was going to happen," forward Luol Deng said. "I didn't know whether it was players or coaches. But you could definitely feel there was something. It just didn't seem like we were on the same page."

With three straight playoff appearances after a long postseason drought, the Bulls' expectations were soaring. Then, they dropped 10 of their first 12 games and they've been unable to capture the intensity that catapulted them into the second round of the playoffs last season.

They've lacked a consistent inside scoring threat the past few years, and now, their perimeter players are off target. Chicago is shooting a league-worst 41.3 percent, which partially explains why it hasn't been able to sustain a winning streak.

"This was a difficult decision to make, but one that was necessary at this time," Bulls general manager John Paxson said in a release. "Scott helped us in many ways during his time with the Bulls; most importantly, he helped this franchise get back to respectability. I am appreciative of his hard work and the imprint that he left on our team."

The Bulls didn't immediately announce a replacement for Skiles, who went 165-172 after replacing Bill Cartwright in November 2003.

Chicago is in a familiar spot with this season's slow start.

The Bulls dropped their first nine in 2004-05 and were 4-15 before going on a surge that led to 47 wins and their first playoff appearance since the Michael Jordan era. They needed a late surge the next season to make it to the playoffs, winning 12 of their final 14 regular-season games to finish with 41 wins.

And with high expectations following the arrival of Ben Wallace, the Bulls promptly dropped nine of their first 12 last season before turning things around. They wound up with 49 wins and swept Miami to capture a playoff series, then lost in six games to Detroit in the second round.

There were no major acquisitions in the offseason. Instead, the most notable moves were the ones the Bulls did not make -- contract extensions for Ben Gordon and Deng and a blockbuster trade for Kobe Bryant.

And Deng finally acknowledged the negotiations and trade talk may have weighed down the team.

"I keep saying the whole idea that the contract thing isn't a big deal with me, but it's getting to a point where I don't know," he said. "It's not like I came in and said I'm not going to play hard. It's a life-changing decision. When I made the decision, I decided that I'm just going to play. It became part of it because that's what people kept talking about. We struggled and they kept coming up."

He called Skiles "a great coach" but the effort wasn't there -- particularly the past few games. Whether this wakes them up or is just the start of a shake-up remains to be seen.

"It's a lot on our shoulders right now," Deng said.

Skiles and the Bulls nearly parted ways in June 2005. Instead, he agreed to a four-year, $16.5 million contract extension after talking with owner Jerry Reinsdorf.

"I wouldn't say we stopped playing for Scott," guard Kirk Hinrich said. "Every time I go out there, I'm playing for my teammates, my coaches. We should all be in this together."

The Cavaliers put Larry Hughes on the trading block, but no team is going to want his radioactive contract. The only way they'll get rid of him is a buyout., or if they accept equally horrible contracts in return.

Manu Ginobili sprained his left index finger - again - but hasn't missed any playing time. LeBron James sprained a finger on his off hand, and missed five games. Hmm.

Both Tracy McGrady and Yao Ming go down with injuries in the same game. For players who are considered superstars, they can't manage to be on the court at the same time for very long.

As if the Clippers needed more injuries, Tim Thomas sprained his knee in their last game, and Paul Davis tore his ACL in the game before that, and is out for the season. Aaron Williams missed this third straight game with a sprained wrist, and Corey Maggette, who was already out for a week earlier this season, missed their last game with a sore left knee. They may dress eight players for their next game.

Page 11 of 298 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast