Page 17 of 298 FirstFirst ... 715161718192767117 ... LastLast

Thread: The NBA Thread

Quote Quoting chrisnu (view post)
    Grizzlies get swindled, the Lakers become instant title contenders - this year!

Kobe Bryant, Andrew Bynum, and Pau Gasol! FUCK YES!!!!!
    While it's a move that The Lakers probably had to make, I don't think they're necessarily the clear winner. First, Gasol has to stay on the floor. At 27, he already appears to be breaking down (back problems at his age = yikes). Plus the Lakers are giving up two first rounders and the rights to Gasol's 7-1 brother. Those picks don't mean a whole lot now, but who knows what kind of talent they'll be giving up? Josh Howard, Devin Harris, Kevin Martin, and Gerald Wallace are just a few LATE first rounders that are killing it right now. If you look at the Lakers last three first round picks (before Crittenton), it goes Farmar, Bynum, and Vujacic. Would you give up those three guys for Gasol? I wouldn't.

Heh, I just read that Aaron McKie was involved in the trade, the same Aaron McKie who is the fifth assistant coach with the Sixers right now. He's so far down the coaching totem pole he sits behind the bench, not on it.

One thing that's wrong with the Sixers and the NBA as a whole. Paying for guys who are not even in the league anymore.
    Now reading: The Master Switch by Tim Wu

That's actually very clever. Teams retain the rights of players they cut, unless they're renounced. The Lakers were able to sign McKie to a contract as salary ballast in the trade. They did the same thing when they traded Rick Fox (the ballast) and Gary Payton to the Celtics for Chris Mihm, Jumaine Jones, and Chucky Atkins.
    Contagion (Soderbergh, 2011) - 6.5
    The Descendants (Payne, 2011) - 7.5
    Midnight in Paris (Allen, 2011) - 5
    Margin Call (Chandor, 2011) - 6.5
    The Ides of March (Clooney, 2011) - 5

Evil mind, evil sword. Ivan Drago's Avatar
    So much for Kobe to the Bulls...ah well...we'll take one of the freshmen this year in the draft.
    Last Five Films I've Seen (Out of 5)

The Boy, The Mole, The Fox and the Horse (Mackesy, 2022) 4.5
    Puss In Boots: The Last Wish (Crawford, 2022) 4
    Confess, Fletch (Mottola, 2022) 3.5
    M3GAN (Johnstone, 2023) 3.5
    Turning Red (Shi, 2022) 4.5
    Tokyo Story (Ozu, 1953) 5

615 Film
    Letterboxd

Wow. I thought they would just cut him.

McKie back on the court

Those three-on-three games that Aaron McKie played with the 76ers will come in handy.

Because of a quirk in the convoluted NBA salary-cap system, McKie went from being a Sixers volunteer assistant to a member of the Memphis Grizzlies yesterday in a blockbuster trade with the Los Angeles Lakers.

According to an NBA source, McKie will be guaranteed $750,000. He signed a three-year contract with the Lakers yesterday in a sign-and-trade move. Only the remainder of this season is guaranteed.

The Lakers sent McKie, Kwame Brown, guard Javaris Crittenton, the draft rights to Marc Gasol - who is still playing in Spain - and first round picks in 2008 and 2010 to Memphis. In exchange, the Lakers received highly regarded forward Pau Gasol, Marc's older brother, and Memphis' second-round draft choice in 2010.

McKie never filed retirement papers and thus remained the property of the Lakers. To make the trade work, McKie had to be included.

Trades between teams that have exceeded the NBA's salary cap must have the salaries come within 125 percent and $100,000 of each other.

This year's NBA salary cap is $55,630,000.

Even though McKie was a volunteer coach, he was being paid $7 million this season by the Sixers as a part of the NBA's one-time amnesty agreement.

After the 2004-05 season, NBA teams were allowed to release players, still pay them, but not have their salary count against the luxury tax in the amnesty agreement.

NBA teams are charged a dollar for every dollar over the luxury-tax level, which is $67,865,000 this season.

Though the Sixers released McKie after the 2004-05 season, they still owed him $19.5 million over the final three years of his contract. The final $7 million was being paid this year.

"It's a great opportunity for Aaron," Sixers coach Maurice Cheeks said last night before the game against the Orlando Magic at the Wachovia Center. "It's an opportunity for him to take advantage of, and he can always come back."

It won't be this year.

Reached last night, Memphis coach Marc Iavaroni said McKie would be a player-coach for the young Grizzlies.

"We felt that it would be a great opportunity for our young players to learn from a player like Aaron," Iavaroni said in a phone interview.

McKie will travel to Memphis today. Iavaroni said he didn't expect him to play in the Grizzlies' home game tonight against Utah.

"We just lost a very good veteran in Damon Stoudamire, and we feel that Aaron will be a great addition," Iavaroni said.

McKie had been a popular member of the Sixers organization in his days as a player and his brief time as a volunteer coach.

"We're really going to miss him," Sixers guard Lou Williams said. "He was a great teacher and can really relate to us, and hopefully we'll see him coaching here again."

Sixers president and general manager Ed Stefanski said McKie had mixed emotions about leaving. McKie, who wasn't at the game, was unavailable for comment.

"Aaron was torn because he likes it here," Stefanski said. "It was his home, and he loves coaching."

The 35-year-old McKie, a former star at Simon Gratz and Temple, played the previous two seasons for the Lakers, though injuries limited him to just 24 games.

The NBA's sixth man of the year when the Sixers went to the NBA Finals in 2001, McKie has career averages of 7.4 points and 2.7 assists.

This will be his 14th NBA season as a player.

As fate would have it, Memphis will visit the Sixers on Feb. 13, the final game before the all-star break.

What appeared to be just another ordinary game will be an anticipated homecoming for McKie.

I'm hearing rumors that the Grizzlies may buy out Kwame Brown, who will then re-sign with the Lakers. He'll have to wait until 30 days after the trade to re-sign with the team that traded him, and that's if another team doesn't claim him off waivers. That's the "Gary Payton" Rule, which was created after Payton was traded from the Celtics to the Hawks, refused to report to Atlanta, and was subsequently bought out and immediately re-signed with the Celtics.

Best Boy
    please let those rumors be false. we just got rid of him i don't care if we can resign him for the league minimum i wouldn't want him on the team.

Quote Quoting Mr. Valentine (view post)
    please let those rumors be false. we just got rid of him i don't care if we can resign him for the league minimum i wouldn't want him on the team.
    hahaha

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

T.J. Ford may be back with the Raptors by Friday. I don't think Jose Calderon fans have to worry; it'll be a while for Ford is all the way back, and Sam Mitchell has to think about his player rotation. It does mean that Darrick Martin is going back on the inactive list.

Jerome James wants to be traded from the Knicks. :lol: If only, dude.

Gerald Green also wants to be traded from the Timberwolves. That's a deal that's much more likely to happen, although Minnesota may simply let him walk after this season.

I need to share this awesome blog regarding the Lakers/Raptors game. Awesome. It's also way too long to post.

http://slamonline.com/online/2008/02...akers-raptors/

Pretty sad about Kwame, though.

Evil mind, evil sword. Ivan Drago's Avatar
    Was Derek Fisher a good pickup in fantasy?
    Last Five Films I've Seen (Out of 5)

The Boy, The Mole, The Fox and the Horse (Mackesy, 2022) 4.5
    Puss In Boots: The Last Wish (Crawford, 2022) 4
    Confess, Fletch (Mottola, 2022) 3.5
    M3GAN (Johnstone, 2023) 3.5
    Turning Red (Shi, 2022) 4.5
    Tokyo Story (Ozu, 1953) 5

615 Film
    Letterboxd

Quote Quoting Ivan Drago (view post)
    Was Derek Fisher a good pickup in fantasy?
    He's not huge scorer, but he's pretty solid in threes. His FG% is also by far a career-best. I hope you have another point guard who racks up assists, though; that aspect of his game is pretty anemic.

Heat in serious talks to trade Shaq

The Heat has told center Shaquille O'Neal's representation that it is talking about trading him and he should be prepared for the possibility of a deal, according to two officials close to the situation. Phoenix has discussed sending forward Shawn Marion and point guard Marcus Banks to the Heat in return for O'Neal.

Asked for confirmation, one of O'Neal's representatives said O'Neal has been made aware that discussions with Phoenix are serious and ongoing, but that a deal was not definite.
    Are you kidding me? This would be a coup for the Heat. I have no idea why Phoenix does this. I do think they need to ditch the midget-ball and get a big man next to Amare. But Shaq? Hell no. If Miami were to let Marion, Ricky Davis, and Jason Williams walk after the season, they could afford a max free agent in the off-season. Phoenix, you cannot do this.

Webber earns place as starter

I didn't expect that decision to be so quick. Baron Davis, Monta Ellis, and Stephen Jackson had cemented their places on the starting lineup. Andris Biedrins and Al Harrington will platoon the fifth spot, depending on match-ups.

Newest Griz says he's here to play

With Kwame Brown, Darko Milicic, Jason Collins, and Hakim Warrick as the only big men on the team, I don't think Kwame will be hurting for playing time.

T.J. Ford is already back! James Jones will miss at two week with a sore knee. Brad Miller is out indefinitely after receiving 9 stitches to a lacerated finger. Ouch.

Steve Kerr might take the crown as the worst GM in the NBA if he allows this O'Neal deal to go through. Considering the GMs that are out there now, that's quite an accomplishment.

Indeed. The Phoenix trade, should it happen, would be taking such a myopic vision of winning the championship. Shaq's already proven that he can't make it physically through 3 seasons at Miami, so this move would be so obviously a short-term dash to a championship run. What, maybe he can give another season and a half? I mean, Marion's gonna be gone after the season, but this isn't the way to go.
    The Boat People - 9
    The Power of the Dog - 7.5
    The King of Pigs - 7

Un-fucking-believable.

http://www.ktar.com/sports/?nid=126&sid=724522

The Shaquille O'Neal trade to the Phoenix Suns is not a rumor.

In fact, I expect it to happen sometime early afternoon on Wednesday.

O'Neal will be in Phoenix on Wednesday for a physical, according to a Suns team source.

The Suns have moved Wednesday morning's shoot-around, which was originally scheduled at 9:45 a.m., to 4:45 p.m. - hours prior to their contest against the New Orleans Hornets.

The Suns will part ways with Shawn Marion and Marcus Banks and move to a conventional style with O'Neal playing the 5.

The Suns have major concerns about chemistry issues on the team and feel a trade for O'Neal would alleviate those issues, plus give them the post defender they lack.

The money would be a wash this year and next, but the Suns would be on the hook for $20 million in 2009-10 - the final year of O'Neals' contract. There is a belief that the window for Steve Nash to win a championship is down to this year and next and that O'Neal would give the Suns a better chance to win now.

My sources tell me that O'Neal desperately wants to come to Phoenix and will be rejuvenated to have a chance to win again and that the Suns do not have any concerns over his injured hip.

The Suns will not expect O'Neal to dominate as he did in his prime, in fact his minutes will probably hover around 25 per game as they try to keep him fresh for the playoffs and a potential matchup against Tim Duncan and the Spurs.

Just what this means for Mike D'Antoni is anyone's guess.

It is clear that a trade for O'Neal would be a negative indictment on the Suns current style and would suggest that management does not believe the current run-and-gun style can win a title.

Shit man sure the Suns weren't going to make the Finals this season. But if they trade Marion for Shaq they are most defiantly not going to make the Finals this season. Ugh. Damnit Steve Kerr don't be a dumbass and trade for an aging, broken down, overweight past his prime player that will slow down your offense. Wow. Just wow.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

Best Boy
    Gasol was fantastic tonight. He was exactly what we needed.

Gasol was fantastic tonight. He was exactly what we needed.
    Yes he was. I know it's the Nets, but the Lakers looked that good and balanced and Bynum's still out.

Done.

This is even more unbelievable then the Gasol trade.

Best Boy
    i watch 90% of the Suns games and this was a horrible idea. They needed a big man but the best they could get for Marion was Shaq? Marion is one of the ten most complete players in basketball, they should have gone for a younger big man (i think someone like Kaman would have been a good fit).

i watch 90% of the Suns games and this was a horrible idea. They needed a big man but the best they could get for Marion was Shaq? Marion is one of the ten most complete players in basketball, they should have gone for a younger big man (i think someone like Kaman would have been a good fit).
    Exactly. Lakers fans congrats: your not only going to win the division, but you have an excellent chance at reaching the Finals this year (its not too far fetched to think so, what with the Mavricks not really playing like champs and the Spurs starting to show their age). I have a feeling the Western Finals will be the Hornets v. the Jazz. As for the Eastern Finals, I'm going with the Magic v. the Celtics.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

Here's a question: Why did the Suns get rid of Kurt Thomas only to make this move for O'Neal? Is there anything that O'Neal can do at this stage of his career that Thomas can't? It's like they gave away Marion for nothing because they could have just kept Thomas and let Marion walk. Kerr is not off to a good start.

On the flip side, there's some upside in Miami now. They can either re-sign Marion at the end of the year and build around the Wade/Marion duo or they can let him walk and sign a max player in free agency (and who wouldn't want to move to South Beach to play with Dwayne Wade?). I think this eclipses the Gasol move as the best trade of the season.

What a bizarre trade, I have always been a fan of Shaq, but I agree that it is not the right move for Phoenix.

Too much responsibility Kurosawa Fan's Avatar
    This is just desperation by the Suns organization. What a terrible mistake. When they don't win a championship and Shaq's contract is crippling them, they are going to look back on this as one of the worst moves in the history of their franchise.

Quote Quoting Kurosawa Fan (view post)
    This is just desperation by the Suns organization. What a terrible mistake. When they don't win a championship and Shaq's contract is crippling them, they are going to look back on this as one of the worst moves in the history of their franchise.
    Even if they somehow win the title this year, will it have been worth it if they have to blow up the team within the next two years? Look how well that's working out for Miami right now. It's definitely all about winning championships, but you want to put yourself in the position to be competitive for the years after as well.

Another thing I'm wondering: did the Suns make a play for Gasol? All Memphis wanted was an expiring contract, and Phoenix definitely had that to offer. Plus, Marion has to look a heck of a lot more attractive than Kwame Brown. What happened there? A Gasol/Stoudemire frontline would have been freakish and would have actually worked well within the team's system.