Page 1 of 34 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: True Blood

True Blood

http://www.hbo.com/events/trueblood/

The series follows Sookie Stackhouse, a barmaid living in Louisianna who can read people's minds, and how her life is turned upside down when the Vampire Bill, walks into her place of employment two years after vampires 'came out of the coffin' on national television.
    A new HBO series from Alan Ball, the creator of Six Feet Under. Just looked at the IMDB page and I think it has a relatively unknown cast, except for Anna Paquin who plays Sookie. I think it could be a fun, quirky show. We'll find out soon enough.

Unsure about this. Alan Ball, vampires, and Louisiana should be a great mix, but all the footage I've seen from this makes me go, "MEH!"

Make em say, "Meh!" na nah nah nah

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

I like the viral marketing so far at least.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Yeah, I like it too. It seems they are pushing this marketing quite hard.

Also, the series is based on the Southern Vampire Mysteries book series by Charlaine Harris.

the early word on this is that it's awful

there's a screener of the first episode out there

Quote Quoting Acapelli (view post)
    the early word on this is that it's awful

there's a screener of the first episode out there
    That sucks! :sad:

I'll still give it a try though.

can recall his past lives origami_mustache's Avatar
    Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    I like the viral marketing so far at least.
    I've seen The American Vampire League - for Vampire rights political posters all over town. They also have anti Vampire posters that say "Vampires are Immoral," and then vandalized versions of The AVL posters. Pretty interesting advertising.
    In Front of Your Face (Hong Sang-soo, 2021) - 6
    Introduction (Hong Sang-soo, 2021) - 6
    True Mothers (Naomi Kawase, 2020) - 8
    Wheel of Fortune and Fantasy - (Ryusuke Hamaguchi, 2021) - 7
    Wife of a Spy (Kiyoshi Kurosawa, 2020) - 7
    The Power of the Dog (Jane Campion, 2021) - 9
    Don't Look Up - (Adam McKay, 2021) - 4
    The Matrix Resurrections (Lana Wachowski, 2021) - 4.5
    Benedetta (Paul Verhoeven, 2021) - 7

mubi

The first episode wasn't bad at all. I think the setting and premise is interesting enough to continue watching.

I do have to get used to the way the fangs of the vampires come out. I expected the classic Dracula looking fangs, but they have a more Nosferatu influence in the show.

And damn that cliffhanger ending!

So many of the thinly veiled metaphors made me laugh. The kicker, though, was the "GOD HATES FANGS" sign in front of the church. Oh man.
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Montage, s'il vous plait? Raiders's Avatar
    So many of the thinly veiled metaphors made me laugh. The kicker, though, was the "GOD HATES FANGS" sign in front of the church. Oh man.
    Yeah, this was my least favorite part because it played so obviously as to be rather quaint and meaningless. Vampires as social outsiders is hardly a new idea and the first episode wasn't all that satisfactory to me in the story/character department. Granted, it is one episode and I very much expect once it gets going the elements could easily fall into place for a well rounded show.
    Recently Viewed:
    Thor: The Dark World (2013) **½
    The Counselor (2013) *½
    Walden (1969) ***
    A Hijacking (2012) ***½
    Before Midnight (2013) ***

Films By Year

Evil mind, evil sword. Ivan Drago's Avatar
    I saw a bit of this last night. Good to see Anna Paquin still has a career.
    Last Five Films I've Seen (Out of 5)

The Boy, The Mole, The Fox and the Horse (Mackesy, 2022) 4.5
    Puss In Boots: The Last Wish (Crawford, 2022) 4
    Confess, Fletch (Mottola, 2022) 3.5
    M3GAN (Johnstone, 2023) 3.5
    Turning Red (Shi, 2022) 4.5
    Tokyo Story (Ozu, 1953) 5

615 Film
    Letterboxd

I thought it was also cool to see Frank Sobotka and E. B. Farnum as cops. I hope they'll have a bigger role in the series, because I've always liked those guys.

Thanks. I was all ready to come in here and say that I'd never watch it just based on "come out of the coffin," but now there's this. Ugh.

Not that I get HBO anyway.
    "How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

--Homer

Wait, I didn't mean my comment to be negative. I thought Alan Ball meant those things as a joke rather than a serious allegory, and I laughed. So, y'know, it was good.
    Movie Theater Diary

Scott of the Antarctic Milky Joe's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Saya (view post)
    I thought it was also cool to see Frank Sobotka and E. B. Farnum as cops. I hope they'll have a bigger role in the series, because I've always liked those guys.
    Seriously, that was a joy to see.

Man I loves me somes Anna Paquin. That first episode was very interesting.
    ‎The severed arm perfectly acquitted itself, because of the simplicity of its wishes and its total lack of doubt.

Wait, I didn't mean my comment to be negative. I thought Alan Ball meant those things as a joke rather than a serious allegory, and I laughed. So, y'know, it was good.
    I dunno. Even as jokes, they don't do much for me.
    "How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

--Homer

2 episodes, and I'm already in love with this show.

"Angelina adopts vampire baby," heh.
    Movie Theater Diary

Second episode was good. Tara was less annoying in this episode and I liked that they dove into the vampire lore a bit.

2 episodes in and I don't know what to do with this show. Probably give it a couple more episodes to decide whether or not it's something.

Quote Quoting Saya (view post)
    Second episode was good. Tara was less annoying in this episode and I liked that they dove into the vampire lore a bit.
    Ah, this again. If I had a nickel for everytime a character I like gets labeled annoying on Match Cut... :sad:

I thought Tara was hilarious in the first episode.
    Movie Theater Diary

:P

I really liked her a lot more in the second episode. I'm not sure why, but I guess it's because she was way less angry and frustrated in that episode. I agree she had some funny moments in both episodes.

I also just checked IMDB and saw that Alexander Skarsgård (Brad from Generation Kill) is in this. He plays some guy named Eric, but I have no idea who that is. Was he one of the roadworkers?

No, he plays the boss of all the vampires. Hasn't shown up yet.
    Movie Theater Diary

Ah right. He was great in Generation Kill, so I have high hopes.

Movie Theater Diary

if iceman is going to be showing up i have to stick around for that

the original actress that played tara was so terrible, glad she got replaced

Page 1 of 34 12311 ... LastLast