Page 3 of 67 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: The Dark Knight Rises (Nolan, 2012)

Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    My Batman script is a detective story.

Has my own twist on the Joker origin.

/nerd
    Do people who write Batman scripts consider themselves fanfic writers?

Quote Quoting Sycophant (view post)
    Do people who write Batman scripts consider themselves fanfic writers?

I guess so.

I wrote it for a drama class that I didn't take seriously, but I thought it was kind of neat.
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

can recall his past lives origami_mustache's Avatar
    Anyone else hear the rumor of Daniel Day-Lewis taking on The Joker role in the next film? I don't think it will happen by any means, but I am curious as to how people would respond to this. Would it be a disservice to Ledger or a great tribute replacing him with an actor of DDL's caliber.
    In Front of Your Face (Hong Sang-soo, 2021) - 6
    Introduction (Hong Sang-soo, 2021) - 6
    True Mothers (Naomi Kawase, 2020) - 8
    Wheel of Fortune and Fantasy - (Ryusuke Hamaguchi, 2021) - 7
    Wife of a Spy (Kiyoshi Kurosawa, 2020) - 7
    The Power of the Dog (Jane Campion, 2021) - 9
    Don't Look Up - (Adam McKay, 2021) - 4
    The Matrix Resurrections (Lana Wachowski, 2021) - 4.5
    Benedetta (Paul Verhoeven, 2021) - 7

mubi

Quote Quoting origami_mustache (view post)
    Anyone else hear the rumor of Daniel Day-Lewis taking on The Joker role in the next film? I don't think it will happen by any means, but I am curious as to how people would respond to this. Would it be a disservice to Ledger or a great tribute replacing him with an actor of DDL's caliber.
    If they had to bring him back DDL would be a good choice but personally I'd just let him lie and bring in a different villain. In fact I wish Holmes had come back for Dawes, I don't like recast roles in sequels/trilogies... better to write the character out and write a new one in... Coppola got around Brando in Godfather Part II and around Duvall in Part III.
    The Princess and the Pilot - B-
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

Anyone else hear the rumor of Daniel Day-Lewis taking on The Joker role in the next film?
    I'm going to go out on a limb here to peg that as fanboy wishful thinking.

Quote Quoting Winston* (view post)
    no doubt

mubi

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Qrazy (view post)
    If they had to bring him back DDL would be a good choice but personally I'd just let him lie and bring in a different villain. In fact I wish Holmes had come back for Dawes, I don't like recast roles in sequels/trilogies... better to write the character out and write a new one in... Coppola got around Brando in Godfather Part II and around Duvall in Part III.
    I don't agree they should let him die. He took control of the city too well in DK and even though he claimed to not have a master plan, he definitely did and it caused massive chaos. I think he should have a small role in the 3rd film.

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    I don't agree they should let him die. He took control of the city too well in DK and even though he claimed to not have a master plan, he definitely did and it caused massive chaos. I think he should have a small role in the 3rd film.
    As I said I don't like role recasting particularly when the performance was that good... and a small role would just be superfluous in my mind. It works for someone like Scarecrow because he's something of a limp-wristed villian to begin with. A small role for Joker wouldn't make sense to me though unless he became something like Batman's Hannibal Lecter in Arkham... dispensing advice to deal with the new threat but secretly manipulating Batman in order to escape.
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

I think he should have a small role in the 3rd film.
    I hate the thought of seeing someone else play The Joker, but in terms of what is best for the story, I think utilizing his character in a small way to introduce somewhat similar villains like Harley Quinn, The Riddler, and even The Mad Hatter is a good option.

mubi

I hate the thought of seeing someone else play The Joker, but in terms of what is best for the story, I think utilizing his character in a small way to introduce somewhat similar villains like Harley Quinn, The Riddler, and even The Mad Hatter is a good option.
    I think we should just avoid all those villians since they're so similar (Why so similar?). Introduce Catwoman for sure (there was even a cat line in The Dark Knight in relation to his weaponry... will this work on dogs? It will work on cats.) and then either resurrect Two-face or bring in The Penguin.
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

and then either resurrect Two-face or bring in The Penguin.
    yeah, if Two-face is actually dead that was an incredibly weak death scene.

mubi

yeah, if Two-face is actually dead that was an incredibly weak death scene.
    Yeah personally I felt Eckhardt could have been a little crazier. He was great as Dent but as Two-face he seemed more grief stricken than crazy... which is fine if all you're doing is exacting revenge but if you're going to begin a life of supervilliany it helps to crazy it up a bit.
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    Yeah, it's actually an "ElseWorlds" story if I remember correctly - doesn't actually have anything to do with the real Batman world.

It's 20 years into an alternate future, and Batman's been retired for a while. He comes back into the game to fight the Mutants (a vicious gang of genetically altered, well, mutants) and the return of the Joker (who has also aged quite a bit).

It also sees a new Robin, a 13 year old girl named Carrie Kelley. While a lot of the story is seen through her eyes, sort of worshipping Batman, she actually becomes an intrinsic part of the plot later on.

It's a fantastic read, and IMO only slightly less brilliant than Miller's "Batman: Year One".

Interestingly, one of Miller's greatest influences in writing the dialogue for Batman in "DKR" was Clint Eastwood - specifically, Dirty Harry.

Then, about 10 years ago, Eastwood actually said that he really liked the story, and was considering an offer to both direct and star in a film version of the book, but nothing came of it, and of course now he's too old and I'm sure his interest has subsided.
    Steal my thunder why don't you. Eastwood would've been a great old Wayne.

You may be right but I tend to enjoy pulp as long as it has a style which speaks to me... I think I'll start with Watchmen and Sandman before this though... graphic novels are a fairly large artistic blindspot for me.
    Same, as far as comics go I've read the first year of The Spirit and The Dark Knight Returns. That's pretty much it. I have/had intentions of reading more. . . really I do/did.

is Morgan Freeman out of the third film? I remember him saying that he wasn't going to work for Wayne as long as he had the device around, but inputting the password destroyed it right?
    Yes, and he gave a knowing smile indicating his satisfaction.

Quote Quoting Winston* (view post)
    Winston kicks ass as usual.

I think we should just avoid all those villians since they're so similar (Why so similar?). Introduce Catwoman for sure (there was even a cat line in The Dark Knight in relation to his weaponry... will this work on dogs? It will work on cats.) and then either resurrect Two-face or bring in The Penguin.
    Yes, I still say Freeze is a great villain but I guess he wouldn't work in this Batman.

Yeah personally I felt Eckhardt could have been a little crazier. He was great as Dent but as Two-face he seemed more grief stricken than crazy... which is fine if all you're doing is exacting revenge but if you're going to begin a life of supervilliany it helps to crazy it up a bit.
    Let's not forget that in this situation he was maybe out of his league.

They tried the whole crazy duo thing with the Riddler and Two Face and they just came off as assholes.

Quote Quoting SirNewt (view post)
    Let's not forget that in this situation he was maybe out of his league.

They tried the whole crazy duo thing with the Riddler and Two Face and they just came off as assholes.
    Yeah true I guess Ras Al Ghul (sp?) and Scarecrow weren't that crazy and they still worked as villians... but there's something about a guy that has half his face melted off where I just expect a little more psychosis.
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

Philip Seymour Hoffman as Penguin. :lol:

mubi

Philip Seymour Hoffman as Penguin. :lol:
    That was rumoured during the time when Crispin Glover was going to be the Joker.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

I'd just like to point out that when people consider Riddler a Joker stand-in villain, they're probably being influenced by Jim Carrey's performance in Batman Forever, but the character is much more interesting than that. In Schumacher's world, every villain is a Joker wannabe and Two-Face doesn't even respect the coin's results.

In fact, the Riddler is a cool, collected master thief. He's not even a killer, he doesn't kill anybody, which makes him inmediately different from the Joker. All Riddler wants is to pit his intelligence against that of the Batman and fool him and the police with clues. In the comics, he's also one of the very few villains (others being Hugo Strange and R'as Al Ghul) to have single-handedly figured out Batman's secret identity.

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    Quote Quoting Grouchy (view post)
    I'd just like to point out that when people consider Riddler a Joker stand-in villain, they're probably being influenced by Jim Carrey's performance in Batman Forever, but the character is much more interesting than that. In Schumacher's world, every villain is a Joker wannabe and Two-Face doesn't even respect the coin's results.

In fact, the Riddler is a cool, collected master thief. He's not even a killer, he doesn't kill anybody, which makes him inmediately different from the Joker. All Riddler wants is to pit his intelligence against that of the Batman and fool him and the police with clues. In the comics, he's also one of the very few villains (others being Hugo Strange and R'as Al Ghul) to have single-handedly figured out Batman's secret identity.
    Of course, the trick then is to establish the stakes. Because no fatalities means less tension, especially after the blood-soaked sprees of The Dark Knight.

I like the idea of scaling back, but will that be as immediately compelling?

Quote Quoting Dead & Messed Up (view post)
    Of course, the trick then is to establish the stakes. Because no fatalities means less tension, especially after the blood-soaked sprees of The Dark Knight.

I like the idea of scaling back, but will that be as immediately compelling?
    Perhaps unsolved murders leads to a Gotham riot or something.

If they pay me, I'll damn well figure a way out.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

In all honesty I'm expecting a rather scaled back third film, especially since the second film will be nearly impossible to top. Which is why perhaps a third film shouldn't happen at all, although God knows apparently there's the Hollywood compulsion to make trilogies (and then go beyond three films when the first three make tons of money, of course).
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

If they make a third film (the original cast and crew), given the fact we're all having such trouble coming up with solid villians and plot, I predict it won't be made for a while and if and when it is it will be the Godfather Part III of the series.

Maybe after Terminator salvation the studio will hand the reigns off to McG and he'll become the new Schumacher with the franchise.
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

Both Angelina Jolie and Julie Newmar want Jolie to play Catwoman

I'm not sure whether they are interested in having Jolie front her own "Catwoman" movie, or if they want her as part of Nolan's franchise, but...blech.
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

The fact that my Batman castings from 5 years ago are turning into these rumors are both cool and unsettling.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    The fact that my Batman castings from 5 years ago are turning into these rumors are both cool and unsettling.
    Crispin Glover's Joker and Ray Liotta's Two-Face didn't come through, though.

I still agree with you that Timothy Spall should be Penguin, but if you ask me about the Riddler, it should be Sam Rockwell and not Jude Law.

Jesus, for some reason I remember all those castings pretty clearly.

Page 3 of 67 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast