Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: No Country for Old Men

Yeah, it's a Coen best.

Spoilers

The movie is about the illusion of security. It is not nihilistic, but rather, paints a universe of cosmic indifference, one where luck is both good (finding 2 million dollars) and bad (getting shot in the throat for helping someone). However, it is also a world where the strength of your moral conviction plays directly into your fate, a Coen trademark. Note what happens to a character because he decides to succumb to the wiles of a strange woman--note the fate of Bardem's character, a sociopath who lives stringently by his own warped morality. But mostly, as in Jones's eloquently delivered bookending monologues about dreams and reflection, it is a movie about the illusion of security. The safety of marriage with a strong man, the safety of a corporate office, the safety of the desolation of the desert, and, most notably, the safety of a green light.

This is a movie about the sheriff. It's about the weight of headline tragedies. It's about seeing horror after horror, day after day, telegraphed in the headlines. It's about the way we shake our heads, confused, trying to make sense of the random chaos of the world that we're so distant from. The way the third act felt was a stroke of genius. We don't see a major character's death, nor is there any tension, nor is it tied fatefully to the thriller aspects of the plot. It's random, confusing, and absolutely brilliant in the way it shifts the film into perspective.

From incredibly tense thrills to a shocking sadness, but not a melodramatic one, as in Before the Devil Knows You're Dead, No Country for Old Men is genre alchemy of pure cinematic grace. The sustained frisson in the first half's experiments with aural tension and tight framing, while still capturing the same mood of phenomenal atmospheric hugeness that Mann toyed with in Miami Vice, is some of the best filmmaking I've ever seen period. It only becomes more unexpected in pleasurable, sad, and resounding ways. Technically, it's all tip-top, direction, editing, cinematography, etc. The whole cast is excellent, particularly Bardem who I feared was gonna be a one-note character, but instead turned out to be pretty much the fiercest, most unpredictable psychopath I've seen in a movie. Rather than employing him as a "force of nature", as one character puts it, the Coens and Bardem give him a disturbingly wet-eyed humanness (note the extended sequences where he's shown treating his own wounds), which ties the film's rebuke of hollow motions of amoral genre tropes (note one character's response to the idea that Anton is "the ultimate badass").

I think the complaint about its lack of dramatic conclusiveness, while an understandable disappointment, misses the greater rewards its ending is offering. If it was executed in a more traditional way, its themes of the weight of indifferent cruelty would be lost in all the conventional melodrama.
    This is a special movie that I am convinced is the most considerate and momentous picture the Coens have made.

i can't wait to see this. gotta wait til the 21st, if it ever shows up. but i'll drive an hour to see it if i have to.

iosos, in regards to your complaint about lack of dramatic conclusiveness. the book was pretty dramatically inconclusive. and from what i've read the film's ending is faithful to that of the book.

Quote Quoting ledfloyd (view post)
    iosos, in regards to your complaint about lack of dramatic conclusiveness. the book was pretty dramatically inconclusive. and from what i've read the film's ending is faithful to that of the book.
    I address the complaint, but do not share the complaint. I think it's awesome that they kept it so faithful to the book. It's what the picture is all about.

Yeah, I pretty much agree. The relations of fate in the three characters was what pleased me the most as I walked out. Aside from the obvious good and bad as you said, it's interesting how they each reacted to them.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Quote Quoting iosos (view post)
    I address the complaint, but do not share the complaint. I think it's awesome that they kept it so faithful to the book. It's what the picture is all about.
    doh, i misread that.

can recall his past lives origami_mustache's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Watashi (view post)
    For those who've seen it, how is Kelly Macdonald? She has been a cinematic crush of mine for quite some time.
    I actually didn't much care for her performance and thought it to be the weakest part of the film.
    In Front of Your Face (Hong Sang-soo, 2021) - 6
    Introduction (Hong Sang-soo, 2021) - 6
    True Mothers (Naomi Kawase, 2020) - 8
    Wheel of Fortune and Fantasy - (Ryusuke Hamaguchi, 2021) - 7
    Wife of a Spy (Kiyoshi Kurosawa, 2020) - 7
    The Power of the Dog (Jane Campion, 2021) - 9
    Don't Look Up - (Adam McKay, 2021) - 4
    The Matrix Resurrections (Lana Wachowski, 2021) - 4.5
    Benedetta (Paul Verhoeven, 2021) - 7

mubi

Montage, s'il vous plait? Raiders's Avatar
    Good lord, a 95 on Metacritic? Has anyone read a negative opinion on this film?
    Recently Viewed:
    Thor: The Dark World (2013) **½
    The Counselor (2013) *½
    Walden (1969) ***
    A Hijacking (2012) ***½
    Before Midnight (2013) ***

Films By Year

Quote Quoting Raiders (view post)
    Good lord, a 95 on Metacritic? Has anyone read a negative opinion on this film?
    There's a couple out there according to RT. I haven't been reading any reviews at all for this, so I don't know what their complaints are. I haven't even read a plot description for the film. Coens, that's all I need to know.
    Coming to America (Landis, 1988) **
    The Beach Bum (Korine, 2019) *1/2
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Fugue (Smoczynska, 2018) ***1/2
    Prisoners (Villeneuve, 2013) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Oslo, August 31st (J. Trier, 2011) ****
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2
    Fighting With My Family (Merchant, 2019) **
    Upstream Color (Carruth, 2013) ***

Quote Quoting Spinal (view post)
    There's a couple out there according to RT. I haven't been reading any reviews at all for this, so I don't know what their complaints are. I haven't even read a plot description for the film. Coens, that's all I need to know.
    Cormac McCarthy is all I need to know.

I see this in five days. I think it has actually usurped I'm Not There in terms of sheer anticipation for me. But then again when I see that film in two or three weeks, I'm sure it'll be like this all over again.
    Recently Viewed:
    The Counselor (2013) *½
    Walden (1969) ***
    A Hijacking (2012) ***½

Films By Year

pushing too many pencils Rowland's Avatar
    Jonathan Rosenbaum is apparently less than impressed. Jim Emerson responds on his Scanners blog.
    Letterboxd rating scale:
    The Long Riders (Hill) ***
    Furious 7 (Wan) **½
    Hard Times (Hill) ****½
    Another 48 Hrs. (Hill) ***
    /48 Hrs./ (Hill) ***½
    The Extraordinary Adventures of Adèle Blanc-Sec (Besson) ***
    /Unknown/ (Collet-Serra) ***½
    Animal (Simmons) **

Quote Quoting Rowland (view post)
    Jonathan Rosenbaum is apparently less than impressed. Jim Emerson responds on his Scanners blog.
    Goodness. I'm going to have to go back and read all that after I see it. That looks like a pretty awesome discussion at the bottom.
    Recently Viewed:
    The Counselor (2013) *½
    Walden (1969) ***
    A Hijacking (2012) ***½

Films By Year

David Ehrenstein at Criterionforum doesn't like it:

Saw it last night. They've come full circle as this is a bigger, shinier Blood Simple -- ie. people we don't care about doing increasingly more stupid things for money they don't have a chance in hell of getting. Never read Cormac McCarthy and if this film bears any resemblance to his writings don't plan to. Comes off as an artier, more precious Jim Thompson. At least Thompson knew he was writing pulp. Not such what these characters think they're doing. Should be an "art house" hit abroad but won't be of much interest locally. Much prefer late period Peckinpah (eg. Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia)

Out side of Fargo I've never really cared for the Coens. There's a kind of chilly, curdled smart-ass-ed-ness to them that I just don't like.

Tommy Lee Jones is pleasant. Javier Barden is The Terminator. Babs Brolin's stepson is just OK in a thankless role as the Lead Schmuck . Woody Harrelson comes in towards the top of the third act and gives the thing a little artificial respiration. But it's Cinema du Zombie anyway you slice it. And don't save a slice for me, thank you. I'm on a diet.

All tech credits pro.
    Neither does Andrew Sarris of The New York Observer:

As for the nihilism on display in No Country for Old Men, the collaboration between the Coen brothers and Cormac McCarthy was a marriage made in heaven or, more likely, hell. Mr. McCarthy has reportedly praised the movie for remaining faithful to the book, and well he might, if only for all the casting coups, starting off with Javier Bardem’s uncannily apt incarnation of evil as Anton Chigurn, a subhuman killing machine with a touch of whimsy in his expression and in his soothing funeral director’s voice. When the Coen Brothers appeared on the stage of Frederic P. Rose Hall in the Time Warner Center with the members of their cast, they introduced Mr. Bardem as their own Lee Van Cleef, a generally villainous character actor in the Sergio Leone Western cycle. But whereas Mr. Van Cleef’s bad guys always came to a bad end in the final draws of the Leone movies, Mr. Bardem’s Chigurn chugs through Texas like an unchecked force of nature. That is one of the reasons I prefer Leone’s oeuvre to that of the Coen brothers and Mr. McCarthy, despite their aforementioned casting coups with Mr. Bardem, and almost as impressively with Tommy Lee Jones as Sheriff Bell; Josh Brolin as Moss, Chigurn’s ill-fated main adversary; Woody Harrelson as the unflappable mob troubleshooter, Carson Wells, who also runs afoul of Chigurn; and Kelly Macdonald as Moss’ tormented wife, the only significant female presence in an overwhelmingly masculine epic with its lavishly detailed explorations of male survival skills.

Mr. McCarthy has won just about every literary honor while being likened to Ernest Hemingway for his minimalist style, and to Samuel Beckett for his volcanic bleakness of outlook on matters of life and death. I happened to find No Country for Old Men an absorbing read, but it left me all empty inside. I must confess that I couldn’t get very far into Blood Meridian, another of his books that was recommended to me. So, I suppose, I have chosen to live out my life without getting involved with Mr. McCarthy’s literary outlook.

Still, I suspect that his clouded vision of existence is somewhat too grim and dark for even the most noirish movie genre. He makes Elmore Leonard look like a barrel of laughs, and Faulkner a beacon of hope. Nonetheless, some of the pithiest exchanges in the movie were taken almost verbatim from the book. I may be clearly in the minority on this movie. It will almost certainly be number one on my list of movies that other people liked and I didn’t. I will not describe the narrative in any great detail both because I would be perceived as spoiling the “fun” of discovering the many surprises for yourself, and because I cannot look at it and write about it in any other way than as an exercise in cosmic futility. Yet, I’m not sorry I saw it over a running time of 122 minutes, just about the length of time I’d like to spend on a quick in-and-out visit to hell.

The movie has definitely made me want to check out McCarthy's books. I probably won't start with No Country, though. Maybe Blood Meridian.

Where Sarris sees "futility", I see "indifference".

Ehrenstein's blurb is pretty worthless.

Anthony Lane didn't like it, but his comments border on Ehrenstein level logic. He even stoops to the old "Intolerable Cruelty and The Ladykiller suck" schtick, which makes me want to gag, however much truth one may find in such a sentiment. And his last paragraph, about the morality of the film and Bardem's character, is completely off (in my opinion).

Quote Quoting Raiders (view post)
    Cormac McCarthy is all I need to know.

Yeh, pretty much.

I'm less than a fan of the Coens.

But reading "The Road" made me permanently interested in anything with McCarthy's name on it.
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

I guess I'm the only one who thought that the shift in tone, pacing, and protagonist [
    ] was completely bungled. Nothing in the first three quarters properly set up that last quarter, and I didn't think the last quarter properly tied its philosophical musings into the previous narrative threads (nor did I think those musings were particularly meaningful). It seemed almost like the finale to a totally different movie.
    I am impatient of all misery in others that is not mad. Thou should'st go mad, blacksmith; say, why dost thou not go mad? How can'st thou endure without being mad? Do the heavens yet hate thee, that thou can'st not go mad?

lists and reviews

Quote Quoting Melville (view post)
    I guess I'm the only one who thought that the shift in tone, pacing, and protagonist [
    ] was completely bungled. Nothing in the first three quarters properly set up that last quarter, and I didn't think the last quarter properly tied its philosophical musings into the previous narrative threads (nor did I think those musings were particularly meaningful). It seemed almost like the finale to a totally different movie.
    Narratively, the film is unconventional. You are sad because it doesn't satisfy in a traditional way. But to me, that's the genius of the thing. Rather than churning out another genre piece, with all its melodrama and catharsis, we get a bold vision that puts things in terms of actual human experience. The thrills are set up nightmarishly (Anton's relentlessness, that chase scene in the desert with the dog, the gruesome discovery of the botched drug deal, the isolated compilation of baddies at the motel where he hides the money, etc), the way that the audience (of the sheriff) would imagine them if they'd read about them in the newspaper. [
    ] it's the sheriff's role that stands in for the audience explicitly, demonstrating the way that headline nastiness presses weightily down over time, however removed we are from the actual incidents. To me, it's a movie about the way I take in news articles about car bombs in Baghdad--it makes me so sad, but moreso, it makes me realize the futility of my own position to do anything about it. All I can do is sit around and keep seeing the car bomb headlines roll in. And No Country for Old Men is expert in relaying that distance, and relating it back to the inevitable tragedies that invade our own lives. All that is made possible by it's tonal and narrative shift. But then, remember the opening monologue? It's spoken by the sheriff. The whole thing is told from his vantage point, after all. Maybe the shift is not so dramatic as we're making it out to be.

As I said, it may not be conventionally satisfying, they may have bungled your expectations of what a thriller is supposed to do. But in my opinion, they did something that made it better than a thriller. They elevated it into human terms.

can recall his past lives origami_mustache's Avatar
    I agree with this...

"in terms of filmmaking and storytelling craft, it is a work destined to be studied in film schools for generations to come."
    -Scott Foundas of The Village Voice
    In Front of Your Face (Hong Sang-soo, 2021) - 6
    Introduction (Hong Sang-soo, 2021) - 6
    True Mothers (Naomi Kawase, 2020) - 8
    Wheel of Fortune and Fantasy - (Ryusuke Hamaguchi, 2021) - 7
    Wife of a Spy (Kiyoshi Kurosawa, 2020) - 7
    The Power of the Dog (Jane Campion, 2021) - 9
    Don't Look Up - (Adam McKay, 2021) - 4
    The Matrix Resurrections (Lana Wachowski, 2021) - 4.5
    Benedetta (Paul Verhoeven, 2021) - 7

mubi

Judging by the comments I've read, it seems that the film ends similarly to the manner in which McCarthy concludes his novel. I'm not so sure that's a good thing. The book's ending was its weakest component (a geriatric hodgepodge of nostalgic, old-testament nonsense that borders on the edge of self-parody).

Then again, I won't know for a while, since this movie refuses to open anywhere near me. That makes me want to hurt things. With a cattle gun.

six hours or so. I'm pumped.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting Robby P (view post)
    Judging by the comments I've read, it seems that the film ends similarly to the manner in which McCarthy concludes his novel. I'm not so sure that's a good thing. The book's ending was its weakest component (a geriatric hodgepodge of nostalgic, old-testament nonsense that borders on the edge of self-parody).
    I didn't think there was anything really "old testament"y about it, nor was there any air of parody. It was elegiac and graceful. I'm speaking of the movie, not the book.

Quote Quoting iosos (view post)
    I didn't think there was anything really "old testament"y about it, nor was there any air of parody. It was elegiac and graceful. I'm speaking of the movie, not the book.
    It's possible that it looks (sounds) better in the visual form. In the written form, the book's ending essentially amounts to a never-ending series of long-winded, buzz-killing interior monologues that completely overshadow the climactic payoff. Some people found this unconventional approach edgy and profound, but it really just comes off as McCarthy lazily mimicking the style of his previous books that were much, much better. To my secondhand knowledge, this is more or less how the movie ends.

The rest of the book is tits, though.

Quote Quoting Robby P (view post)
    It's possible that it looks (sounds) better in the visual form. In the written form, the book's ending essentially amounts to a never-ending series of long-winded, buzz-killing interior monologues that completely overshadow the climactic payoff. Some people found this unconventional approach edgy and profound, but it really just comes off as McCarthy lazily mimicking the style of his previous books that were much, much better. To my secondhand knowledge, this is more or less how the movie ends.

The rest of the book is tits, though.
    Well, do keep in mind that the film has no "climactic payoff" either, but I loved that about it.

Man oh man... that was so much fun. Maybe even better than Fargo.

I don't know why so many people are calling this a "serious Coen(s)", when in fact I was suppressing giggles throughout (that is, when I wasn't holding my breath in fright and wanting to cover my eyes.) It veers back and forth between zany dark humour and unbearably tense chase scenes, which the brothers pull off very well. It doesn't always play fair in terms of storytelling, and the third act was kind of... off. But iosos, you've made me think a little more about the ending and the importance of the sheriff character.

I'll definitely be watching this again in the theatre. The entire cast is phenomenal (with Bardem earning every one of those raves), but Kelly MacDonald really anchored the film for me in many ways.

[
    ]

Damn! This got pushed back from Friday to next Wednesday in my area.

There go my weekend plans.

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast