Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: exercise thread

Quote Quoting Derek (view post)
    So, I'm looking to read about exercise. Anyone know a good place to look?
    What kind of exercise are you thinking of? 24 Hour Fitness won't have the reading, but you can start a membership there, and one meeting with a trainer that will create a routine for the type of exercise you're looking for.

I've also used my library for different types of workouts.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

I'm really not looking to be "muscle-man" here.

I want to get some definition going around my arms, back and chest, and cut the excess weight off my body.

I'm really not that overweight. I have a small belly, that's it. Nothing hanging over my pants or anything like that.

My legs are already very muscular - in the summer I often get comments from friends/friends of friends asking me where and how much I work out, because when I wear shorts, my legs look huge.

This is why I'm not doing any weight training down there. I bike every single day, and I think this is enough of a workout for the lower body.

So yeah, my goal is to trim down a bit, and look a little more toned from the waist up.

And for a timeline? I suppose by the end of the summer (ie early-to-mid September).

Meg, if you are looking for definition, a weight-training program is an excellent place to start, but know that your diet will be just as important, if not more.

Everyone sees beginner gains. Maintaining that will be the hard part.

Generally, this is how it works:

For larger muscle groups such as chest and back:

+12 reps = muscle endurance
    6 - 12 reps = hypertrophy
    -6 reps = power and strength

It sounds like you want to do high reps. So for example, If you are looking for chest endurance, do 4 sets of 15 reps of bench press. Try to pick a weight where you can barely do the 15th rep on your 4th set. Wait about 60 - 90 seconds between sets. Once you can complete all 4 sets, add weight.

Let me know if you have any other questions.
    Now reading: The Master Switch by Tim Wu

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Dunno if any of you guys ever used ToolsToLife.com, but I started a group there called the exercise 5 days a week challenge. Its to help motivate to exercise at least 5 days a week @ 30 minutes a day.

Anyone feel like joinin?
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    Dunno if any of you guys ever used ToolsToLife.com, but I started a group there called the exercise 5 days a week challenge. Its to help motivate to exercise at least 5 days a week @ 30 minutes a day.

Anyone feel like joinin?
    I'm a bit confused by the site...is it just set up for the next month? What is it counting down towards? In any case, I'm for it; the past week and a half, I've been trying to do 30 min a day, with moderate success.

Hey, do any of you fitness experts know of a source of healthy low-fat recipes I can use to make some meals out of? I have the exercise routine, but I need to eat better, and it would be nice to build some weekly menus.
    Losing is like fertilizer: it stinks for a while, then you get used to it. (Tony, Hibbing)

Quote Quoting Benny Profane (view post)
    Meg, if you are looking for definition, a weight-training program is an excellent place to start, but know that your diet will be just as important, if not more.

Everyone sees beginner gains. Maintaining that will be the hard part.

Generally, this is how it works:

For larger muscle groups such as chest and back:

+12 reps = muscle endurance
    6 - 12 reps = hypertrophy
    -6 reps = power and strength

It sounds like you want to do high reps. So for example, If you are looking for chest endurance, do 4 sets of 15 reps of bench press. Try to pick a weight where you can barely do the 15th rep on your 4th set. Wait about 60 - 90 seconds between sets. Once you can complete all 4 sets, add weight.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Awesome, thanks so much for your help.

I understand diet is a big part of it.

I've been making an effort to eat more frequently, with smaller portions and better choices.

For example, a snack I've been having just about every day has been an apple and some yogurt. Then later in the day, if I'm feeling the urge to snack, I'll munch on carrot sticks.
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Quote Quoting thefourthwall (view post)
    I'm a bit confused by the site...is it just set up for the next month? What is it counting down towards? In any case, I'm for it; the past week and a half, I've been trying to do 30 min a day, with moderate success.
    Its setup for the next 30 days. At the end of the 30 days you can evaluate your progress and make new goals for the next 30 days.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Too much responsibility Kurosawa Fan's Avatar
    Quote Quoting bac0n (view post)
    Has anyone here tried the Couch To 5K Program? It's a plan to get you from being a no-exercise desk jockey such as myself to being able to run five kilometers non-stop, all in the span of about 9 weeks, on three 20 minute sessions a week. I figure with the showers at work and the ample jogging paths close by, I have all the accommodations I need.

I've made my mind up that I'm gonna give it a shot, starting Monday. I've gained more than 25 pounds in the last four years, fifteen of them in the last year alone, and this needs to stop.
    I'm in my second week on this program. Downloaded the podcasts too for audio cues. It's going pretty well. The first run was brutal. Achilles felt like they were going to pop, hamstrings killing me, and absolutely no stamina. I just finished my fourth run, going every other day, and there's already a staggering difference. I pushed it much harder today (my pace that is, not the intervals, which I'm sticking to no matter how much I want to cheat ahead), and my stamina was much better and my legs didn't hurt/burn nearly as much. This is the first time I didn't hold my run until the evening, largely because this was the first time I've had the day off since starting the program and didn't have to wait until I got home from work, but I can tell you that even if I have the day off I'm waiting. The heat was so much more draining at 3 pm, which should have been obvious.

Anyway, thanks so much for pointing this out. My wife and I are both forcing each other to stick with it. Seeing a 2 as the first number on the scale a few weeks ago was too much for me to handle. It's way past time to make a change.

I just started working out a bit a couple weeks ago. Bought some weights. I'm currently doing between 150 - 500 reps a day, with a 12 pounder. Only really focusing on upper body right now, as my job tends to keep my legs worked pretty good. I've noticed some good results.

I'm looking forward to golf improvements.

Quote Quoting Kurosawa Fan (view post)
    Anyway, thanks so much for pointing this out. My wife and I are both forcing each other to stick with it. Seeing a 2 as the first number on the scale a few weeks ago was too much for me to handle. It's way past time to make a change.
    Cool! Glad you're getting something out of it! I've been sorta lax these past few weeks. Complications at work and at home have thrown my routine completely outa whack, so I've been on week 6 for about three weeks now.

Just remember - don't worry about repeating a week if you don't feel ready to move on. The whole idea is to work at a comfortable pace so that you don't burn yourself out and quit.
    Losing is like fertilizer: it stinks for a while, then you get used to it. (Tony, Hibbing)

This morning I completed the Couch fo 5K program, meaning I ran five kilometers (3.1 miles) for the first time in 20 years. Yay me!

Now, I guess the question is... what next? I'm probably gonna continue running 3 times a week for a few weeks, then maybe move to four times a week, and then maybe throw in some strength training on the days I'm not running. Anyone have any suggestions?

Quote Quoting bac0n (view post)
    This morning I completed the Couch fo 5K program, meaning I ran five kilometers (3.1 miles) for the first time in 20 years. Yay me!

Now, I guess the question is... what next? I'm probably gonna continue running 3 times a week for a few weeks, then maybe move to four times a week, and then maybe throw in some strength training on the days I'm not running. Anyone have any suggestions?
    A cigar on the weekends.

With my job as a Food Safety guy auditing grocery stores, I've lost the weight I gained and then some from sitting on my ass during the winter when I was unemployed.
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

So I've been keeping to myself for awhile so as not to jinx it, but I became aware today that my routine is set in stone, so I can stop worrying about my laziness rearing its ugly head again.

I've lost 17 lbs. since November 2nd. I've started working out five mornings a week. I go to the gym straight from dropping my son off at school, and alternate days with 30 minutes of cardio on an eliptical machine (I had to give up the jogging because the arthritis in my knees made it too painful, but the eliptical works fine because there's no impact) or 10 minutes on a bike paired with various Nautilus workouts. I've also completely changed my eating habits. I've increased my vegetable intake, totally and completely eliminated fast food (with the exception of Subway flat bread sandwiches once a week), upped my protein by snacking on almonds and cashews rather than chips and candy, and cut my daily calorie intake in half. I'm on pace to be twenty pounds lighter by Christmas, which was my goal. I weigh myself at the same time every Thursday morning after my workout so that I know the results are genuine and not inconsistent.

Everything has become so routine that I feel like crap when I don't go in the morning (had to skip a day twice because my kids were sick), and even on Thanksgiving I noticed how quickly I was full, and how overeating makes me feel really ill now.

So yeah, I needed to come in here to celebrate a bit (though just a bit, as I won't be happy until I'm back down to about 165, which is supposedly my ideal weight). Please excuse my gushing.

And Benny, thanks for the advice long ago. It took me years to actually use it, but it's finally had an effect on my life.

Strong work man!

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    Strong work man!
    Thanks man. Once I lose all the weight, I'm going to keep the exercise routine while loosening up a bit on my eating habits. Not going back to fast food, but having some chips or a candy bar now and then. But I'm going to monitor my weight from now on. I'll continue weighing myself on Thursdays, and if the weight starts to increase again, it'll make me realize that I need to eat this way to stay where I am.

Good on ya, KF!

I've been laxing on my jogging routine lately, but mainly because I haven't had the time to do it, and it's been butt-ass cold outside. Hopefully after the holidays I'll have some thermal running gear and some time to head out.

Nice KF. Grats. I still eat a bit of junk now and then, but rarely, and I'm still at an age where the exercise I do anyway takes care of it. But I'm glad to hear you're eating better and exercising. That's great.
    "How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

--Homer

Thanks man. Once I lose all the weight, I'm going to keep the exercise routine while loosening up a bit on my eating habits. Not going back to fast food, but having some chips or a candy bar now and then. But I'm going to monitor my weight from now on. I'll continue weighing myself on Thursdays, and if the weight starts to increase again, it'll make me realize that I need to eat this way to stay where I am.
    And I'm sure the wife is certainly happy about the leaner husband.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

And I'm sure the wife is certainly happy about the leaner husband.
    Definitely. We've been working out together, and both are looking better. I have a lot more weight to lose than she does, but our bodies have certain become more toned.

Definitely. We've been working out together, and both are looking better. I have a lot more weight to lose than she does, but our bodies have certain become more toned.
    At first I read that as your wife having a lot more weight to lose, and I was about to say, "DICK!"

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

At first I read that as your wife having a lot more weight to lose, and I was about to say, "DICK!"
    :lol:

No. Not even close.

I'm trying to lose a pot-belly, on the cheap. It's a shame, because I've got a reasonably average-okay looking set of muscles under there, but it's just a bore to burn off. Any tips?
    thefilmistreturns.wordpress.com

Impossible. Meaningless.

Quote Quoting BuffaloWilder (view post)
    I'm trying to lose a pot-belly, on the cheap. It's a shame, because I've got a reasonably average-okay looking set of muscles under there, but it's just a bore to burn off. Any tips?
    Reread thread. Follow whichever tip you like.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting BuffaloWilder (view post)
    Punch meat in a walk in freezer... with your abs!
    The Princess and the Pilot - B-
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

So far, I've kept to a steady regiment of indoor jogging - because it's freezing, where I am - sit-ups, planks and hip lifts, with ten-pound weights because what the hell.

Also, "torso twists," because I like the name. They all seem to be working pretty well, at the moment. It's the gradualism that gets me, though.
    thefilmistreturns.wordpress.com

Impossible. Meaningless.

Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast