Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 917181920 LastLast

Thread: exercise thread

Squat through the pain. Heavy, wide squats. They're the only solution.
    Last 5 Viewed
    Riddick (David Twohy | 2013 | USA/UK)
    Night Across the Street (Raoul Ruiz | 2012 | Chile/France)*
    Pain & Gain (Michael Bay | 2013 | USA)*
    You're Next (Adam Wingard | 2011 | USA)
    Little Odessa (James Gray | 1994 | USA)*

*recommended *highly recommended

“It isn't easy to accept that suffering can also be beautiful... it's difficult. It's something you can only understand if you dig deeply into yourself.” -- Rainer Werner Fassbinder

twitter | next projection | criticker | frames within frames

Quote Quoting B-side (view post)
    Squat through the pain. Heavy, wide squats. They're the only solution.
    ​NO.
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

Quote Quoting Scar (view post)
    ​NO.
    :lol: I'm assuming B-Side was joking. At least, I hope.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

I was joking. :P
    Last 5 Viewed

“It isn't easy to accept that suffering can also be beautiful... it's difficult. It's something you can only understand if you dig deeply into yourself.” -- Rainer Werner Fassbinder

As much as I enjoy watching Extreme Weight Loss, I do fear it posits a far too idealistic and extreme scenario of weight loss for most people. 1,500 calorie a day diets for people who are morbidly obese, and 3-4 hours of exercise a day is insane and unsustainable. And Chris Powell, as nice a guy as he seems to be, is clearly not a nutritional expert. In yesterday's episode, he tried telling a woman that her body can only "process" a certain amount of protein at a time. Ignoring the misleading advice of telling a very active individual engaging in weight training to limit their protein, the notion of your body only being capable of "processing" a certain amount of protein at a time is nonsense. Everything from fiber to fat to previous meals to activity level factor into the time it takes for your body to digest nutrients. And while it is true that only around 30-40g of protein are considered anabolic in protein synthesis during a window of roughly 2-3 hours, it does not mean that eating more than that in a meal is just going to make you fat or that your body won't use it. Beyond those 30-40g, your body can use that extra protein as fuel without hindering anabolism. The show is about weight loss, though, so I'm inclined to grant it some leniency there. I just don't want people who are looking to lose some weight to think that losing a pound a day is not only reasonable, but normal. It's not. And it's potentially dangerous.
    Last 5 Viewed

Hey, anybody on any exercise regimens or programs? I'm on another run of Insanity, Month 2, Week Three, where things go really apeshit. I'm happy to say I can actually make it through the workouts without taking extra breaks (something if you woulda told me a month ago that I would have been able to do, I would have laughed at you), so my current focus is on form, going deeper into the squats, down further in the pushups, up higher with the power jumps, that sort of thing. The goal is to get rid of my gut. All of it.

Thinking of going on and doing the next step up from Insanity maybe after the Christmas season: Insanity: The Asylum, Vol 1. The family is currently planning a trip to someplace tropical in February, and it would be pretty nice to have a decent beach body by the time it rolls around.
    Losing is like fertilizer: it stinks for a while, then you get used to it. (Tony, Hibbing)

Day 1 Push:

Squats - 3 x 5
    3 x 3
    3 x 2 (as much rest as needed for all 9 sets, adding weight)

Decline Dumbbell Bench: 4 x 15 (45 secs rest between sets)

Seated DB Shoulder Press: 4 x 15 (45 secs rest)

Dips: 4 x 15 (45 secs rest)

Crunches: 4 x 15

Day 2 Pull:

Deadlifts:

3 x 15
    3 x 10
    3 x 8 (same as squats above)

BB or DB row: 5 x 5 (60 secs rest)

Weighted Pullups: 5 x 5 (60 secs rest)

Bent over laterals: 5 x 5 (60 secs rest)

DB Curl: 5 x 5 (60 secs rest)

Day 3: Push

Squats:

3 x 15
    3 x 10
    3 x 8 (same as above)

BB Press: 5 x 5 (60 secs rest)

Standing Overhead Press: 5 x 5 (60 secs rest)

Close Grip Bench Press: 5 x 5 (60 secs rest)

Machine Crunches: 4 x 15

Day 4 Pull:

Deadlifts - 3 x 5
    3 x 3
    3 x 2 (as much rest as needed for all 9 sets, adding weight)

Lat Pulldowns/Assisted Pullups: 4 x 15 (45 secs rest)

Incline DB row: 4 x 15 (45 secs rest)

Face Pulls: 4 x 15 (45 secs rest)

Seated Machine Curls: 4 x 15 (45 secs rest)

Cardio on 2 of the off days. Rest on one day.
    Now reading: The Master Switch by Tim Wu

Damn - still away from strength training on that level. Current plan is to shed the excess body fat, then perhaps start trying to gain a bit of muscle mass.
    Losing is like fertilizer: it stinks for a while, then you get used to it. (Tony, Hibbing)

Had been doing good on weights and cardio until I tore up my shoulder tripping over a dog of all things. Hope to be able to get back to it after deer season.
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

Quote Quoting Scar (view post)
    Had been doing good on weights and cardio until I tore up my shoulder tripping over a dog of all things. Hope to be able to get back to it after deer season.
    Damn, nothing sucks more than having your momentum broken by a stupid injury. And they're always the most mundane things that mess you up, too.

Quote Quoting bac0n (view post)
    Damn - still away from strength training on that level. Current plan is to shed the excess body fat, then perhaps start trying to gain a bit of muscle mass.
    You don't have to finish one to start the other. They go hand in hand.

Quote Quoting Benny Profane (view post)
    You don't have to finish one to start the other. They go hand in hand.
    You're right, but I find it helpful in my own path to fitness to establish personal milestones and goals. And besides, Insanity does incorporate strength training in the form of squats, pushups, etc.

Quote Quoting bac0n (view post)
    You're right, but I find it helpful in my own path to fitness to establish personal milestones and goals. And besides, Insanity does incorporate strength training in the form of squats, pushups, etc.
    Got it. Everyone has different goals. Glad you found something you like that is working for you.

Hey, guys, in case any one is interested, a huge sale going on at BeachBody.com today and tomorrow. P90X for $50 bucks (regular price: $119.95), P90X2 for $50 bucks, and other good deals.

If you're thinking about pulling the trigger, I have a page set up that you can order from, where you'll get a free lifetime warranty (free DVD replacements if they get scratched, go bad, etc.) and a free bonus gift (usually a bonus workout disk).

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    ok I'm obsessed with fitbit.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

I got a Gamin fitbit type thing for Xmas and I flipping love it. The heart rate meter lets me know when I need to throttle back during Insanity, and when I need to punch it. It also tells me that in a typical workout, I burn over 800 calories.

I have a Jawbone, but thinking the iWatch is going to take over all those fittest eventually.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Anyone do P90X3?

It's freakin expensive, but seems like it would work with my frequent travel, and could do every workout without a gym membership.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

There's a program coming in March/April called Beachbody on demand - basically a flat rate gets you lots of beachbody programs streamed to your TV or mobile device. Looks like p90x3 is one of the programs. If you get a club beachbody account before launch, you get grandfathered in. 15 bucks a month!

Stop trying to beat me in steps Eric. Never gonna happen.

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

My workout for 2016:

25 push ups
    30 crunches
    60 second wall sit
    10 tricep dips
    45 second plank
    30 lunges, each leg
    15 squats

x3, 3 times a week.

Also, I stopped drinking beer on week nights, except for every other Tuesday which is our board game and pub night.

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    Stop trying to beat me in steps Eric. Never gonna happen.
    Ankle injury this week in soccer. You better beat me for the week.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    Ankle injury this week in soccer. You better beat me for the week.
    Monday - Soccer Bye
    Tuesday - WFH- Had to cancel Soccer

Will be tough but I'm up to the challenge

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    Monday - Soccer Bye
    Tuesday - WFH- Had to cancel Soccer

Will be tough but I'm up to the challenge
    Yeah, two games of soccer on sunday boosted me up. Then with 20 secs to go, and I'm catching up to a defender and block a shot... Sprain ankle at same time. Fuck. I'll be ready by the weekend as long as I rest it right.

Too cold to do any type of running outside. I'll double my steps in March or so.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Eric, who the fuck is this Jules Chumak chick? She looks like the least athletic person I've ever seen according to her FB. There's no way she should be anywhere near me in steps right now.

I played soccer every single day this week just for this challenge and I'm playing tomorrow morning at 7am. If she beats me, I'm going to be furious.

PS- don't tell her that.

Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 917181920 LastLast