Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 LastLast

Thread: exercise thread

Burpees/Jump Squats HIIT.

Alternate:

20 seconds burpees
    40 seconds rest

20 seconds jump squats
    40 seconds rest

Do for 15 minutes or until you pass out or puke or both.

Try it out MCers.
    Now reading: The Master Switch by Tim Wu

I did a cycling class the other day. I was pouring sweat.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

What's a burpee?

EDIT: n/m - Insanity calls them Suicides, and they're well named.
    Losing is like fertilizer: it stinks for a while, then you get used to it. (Tony, Hibbing)

Just finished week 4 of Couch to 5k. I think I'm going to need to repeat this one.

Can't get myself motivated to run outside in the cold.

Second day of my 5-minute ab work out. I set includes: 30 seconds of mt. climber, planks on elbows, alternate knees to elbows 4 times, planks on hands, alternate knees to opposite shoulders 4 times, 3 pushups, 30 seconds of cross-legged crunches. I can get about 3 minutes in before I'm done. Ugh. So out of shape. But feeling good doing this after 20 minutes of stretching each morning. And no beer for over a week!

So whenever I start to work out, I always gain weight. And here's why.

I've always been a skinny dude. Part of this is genetics (my whole family is super skinny) and part of this is because I don't eat a lot. I never go back for seconds. Never have. Even on big holiday feasts. I don't load my plate up with food. A normal meal out can last me 2-3 meals.

That coupled with a fast metabolism has made me super skinny.

However, whenever I start to work out I get super hungry. I mean, so hungry I can barely stand it, and I have to eat all the time. So right now I'm trying to loose my beer gut. I work out. Then I'm super hungry all day, so I need to eat more. I eat more and my gut stays the same.

How should this be combated?

Abdominal exercises won't make your beer gut go away but counting your calories definitely will. Try looking into an app like myfitnesspal.

Try going to five meals a day, targeting about 300 calories per meal. Time one of those meals to be just after you work out, and make it something high in protein, cuz I have a hunch that is what your body is craving.

My weight spiked too just after I started Insanity, but after a few weeks it started creeping down again.
    Losing is like fertilizer: it stinks for a while, then you get used to it. (Tony, Hibbing)

Quote Quoting Robby P (view post)
    Abdominal exercises won't make your beer gut go away but counting your calories definitely will. Try looking into an app like myfitnesspal.
    Oh yeah - for sure. Thing is, I already eat well below what just about any calorie count will say. Always have. I basically eat just enough to not be hungry; up through high school I hated eating because it cut into free time. Cutting out the beer calories is going to help a ton, I know that because adding beer to my diet is the only that has changed during the last year.

I am eating healthier, though. Lot's more brown rice and raw greens.

It's just that exercising increases my already-super-fast metabolism making me famished throughout the day.

Quote Quoting bac0n (view post)
    Try going to five meals a day, targeting about 300 calories per meal. Time one of those meals to be just after you work out, and make it something high in protein, cuz I have a hunch that is what your body is craving.

My weight spiked too just after I started Insanity, but after a few weeks it started creeping down again.
    Yeah, I should do that. The 3 meal a day thing is a problem.

Consume something high in protein and carbs within an hour before and after a workout. Make your grains whole and keep your fiber intake high.
    Last 5 Viewed
    Riddick (David Twohy | 2013 | USA/UK)
    Night Across the Street (Raoul Ruiz | 2012 | Chile/France)*
    Pain & Gain (Michael Bay | 2013 | USA)*
    You're Next (Adam Wingard | 2011 | USA)
    Little Odessa (James Gray | 1994 | USA)*

*recommended *highly recommended

“It isn't easy to accept that suffering can also be beautiful... it's difficult. It's something you can only understand if you dig deeply into yourself.” -- Rainer Werner Fassbinder

twitter | next projection | criticker | frames within frames

My body sucks every single calorie out of everything I eat, meaning I can put on weight quickly if I'm lazy. I digest pretty much everything exceptionally well, very, very rarely ever having any stomach complaints. I'm the complete opposite of my wife, who gets indigestion a lot and who can eat junk and put on very little weight.

The upside is that I can put on muscle pretty quickly as well if I want to. I basically have a Russell Crowe-type body; can look lean at times, but there is a fat guy inside constantly looking to break out.
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    So whenever I start to work out, I always gain weight. And here's why.

I've always been a skinny dude. Part of this is genetics (my whole family is super skinny) and part of this is because I don't eat a lot. I never go back for seconds. Never have. Even on big holiday feasts. I don't load my plate up with food. A normal meal out can last me 2-3 meals.

That coupled with a fast metabolism has made me super skinny.

However, whenever I start to work out I get super hungry. I mean, so hungry I can barely stand it, and I have to eat all the time. So right now I'm trying to loose my beer gut. I work out. Then I'm super hungry all day, so I need to eat more. I eat more and my gut stays the same.

How should this be combated?

Nutrition is the most important aspect of any workout plan. You will have to treat it that way. This will probably mean planning in advance what you are going to eat on a daily basis, maybe even weekly.

Eat small meals every few hours. Cook them in bulk at home and buy lots of tupperware. Chicken, fish, pork. To season, use dry rubs and not sauces which are high in sugar. Make snacks for yourself in between your bigger meals. Choose healthy, lean foods high in protein. Cook yourself 5 hard-boiled eggs and eat one per day. Snack on unsalted nuts and raw veg. Make some homemade salsa or hummus. It's simple stuff but it takes effort. But having snacks on-hand means less eating out, less butter and salt and heavy cream and fatty foods. Being prepared means less cheating.

Also, if you feel yourself getting intolerably hungry, drink a glass of water and wait 15 minutes. See how hungry you are, then.

Good advice guys, thanks!

Protein is a magic bullet in that it makes you feel very full and is also necessary to replenish your body after working out. If you aren't a big meat eater, lentils, beans, and raw nuts are good substitutes.
    ...and the milk's in me.

After repeating week four several times, I finally made it through week five of Couch to 5K. Did the twenty-minute run today, that was rough. I don't seem to be losing a significant amount of weight yet, but a few people have told me I look thinner, and my pants are a lot looser than they used to be. I'll take it.

My friend told me today that her Planet Fitness had a pizza party inside the gym. People were eating pizza and sitting on elipticals.

Seriously.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Haha. Everytime I start running, there is a moment about two minutes in when I think "there is no way I can possibly do this" and then, before I know it, I'm at the end.

Quote Quoting ledfloyd (view post)
    Haha. Everytime I start running, there is a moment about two minutes in when I think "there is no way I can possibly do this" and then, before I know it, I'm at the end.
    Beginning the third week of running 25 minutes 3x a week, and this has not changed. Ugh.

I've decided to screen any and all potential mates with these three criterion:

Are they attractive?
    Are they socially liberal?
    Do they squat?

Third one is obviously the most important.
    Last 5 Viewed
    Riddick (David Twohy | 2013 | USA/UK)
    Night Across the Street (Raoul Ruiz | 2012 | Chile/France)*
    Pain & Gain (Michael Bay | 2013 | USA)*
    You're Next (Adam Wingard | 2011 | USA)
    Little Odessa (James Gray | 1994 | USA)*

*recommended *highly recommended

“It isn't easy to accept that suffering can also be beautiful... it's difficult. It's something you can only understand if you dig deeply into yourself.” -- Rainer Werner Fassbinder

twitter | next projection | criticker | frames within frames

Ain't that just the way EyesWideOpen's Avatar
    I find it weird that I seem to be getting better at basketball the older I'm getting even though my back is now shot. I'm on average 10 years older then every one I play with and I'm at the top of my game.
    TV Recently Finished:
    Catastrophe: Season 1 (2015) A
    Rectify: Season 3 (2015) A-
    Bojack Horseman: Season 2 (2015) A
    True Detective: Season 2 (2015) A-
    Wayward Pines: Season 1 (2015) B

Currently Playing: Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise (replay) (XB1) / Contradiction (PC)
    Recently Finished: Everybody's Gone to the Rapture (PS4) A+ / Life is Strange: Ep 4 (PS4) A / Bastion (replay) (PS4) B+

Felt a pop in my groin this morning on the leg press machine. I have never been this injured or in this much pain before. Very hard to sit down and stand up and I'm walking with a serious limp. A slight movement in the wrong way and a shooting current of pain goes through my groin. I never go to the doctor unless its absolutely necessary but I am seriously worried.

Quote Quoting Benny Profane (view post)
    Felt a pop in my groin this morning on the leg press machine. I have never been this injured or in this much pain before. Very hard to sit down and stand up and I'm walking with a serious limp. A slight movement in the wrong way and a shooting current of pain goes through my groin. I never go to the doctor unless its absolutely necessary but I am seriously worried.
    Pop + Pain = Doctor
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

Too much responsibility Kurosawa Fan's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Benny Profane (view post)
    Yeah, sounds like a groin strain. You need to see a doc. If nothing else, he'll give you some pain pills that will make getting around more manageable. If it was like my groin strain during my soccer days, you're going to feel even worse tomorrow, and possibly worse than that by Saturday. Go see a doctor, bud.

Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 LastLast