Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: exercise thread

Quote Quoting Robby P (view post)
    I've gained ~20-30 lbs in the last calendar year since taking up free weights and eating like a pig. I look and feel much healthier.
    I'd like to start some weight training. Are you doing any specific program?

Quote Quoting Benny Profane (view post)
    If you land on your toes, your heels won't touch the ground. You better have some damn strong calves to pull that off if you are running long distances. Also, you will sacrifice a lot in speed.
    This. Unless you're sprinting, the whole foot will be hitting the ground at some point.

But yeah, duke, lots of running-specific stores should have the technology to have you go on a treadmill, record how your feet are hitting the ground, and find an appropriate shoe...

Insanity is a beast. Great cardio. However, after a few consistent weeks, you'll be wanting to do MORE. Which is good.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    I'd like to start some weight training. Are you doing any specific program?
    I'd recommend looking into Starting Strength, it's a great introductory program.

Also, since I know you're a redditor, check out r/fitness. Lots of helpful advice.

just started week 4 of couch to 5k. the jump from 9 minutes of running to 16 minutes of running looked pretty intimidating on paper, and i'm not going to say the last 2 or 3 minutes weren't difficult, but it was significantly less difficult than when i ran a mile a month ago and i ran 1.33 miles. so, progress? and i've dropped another 5lbs in the last 3 weeks. i feel like in a few more months i'm not even going to recognize myself.

Day One of the Insanity Workout, I can see how it gets its name.

Man alive, I was getting light headed.
    Losing is like fertilizer: it stinks for a while, then you get used to it. (Tony, Hibbing)

Quote Quoting bac0n (view post)
    Day One of the Insanity Workout, I can see how it gets its name.

Man alive, I was getting light headed.
    Assuming you did the FIT Test?

If so, plan on taking tomorrow night off. When I started it, I felt like I was in decent shape (just started playing indoor as well), and I basically crawled into my shower afterwards, lol.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    Assuming you did the FIT Test?

If so, plan on taking tomorrow night off. When I started it, I felt like I was in decent shape (just started playing indoor as well), and I basically crawled into my shower afterwards, lol.
    i might have to. i'm pretty much beat. and yeah, I did the fit test. I'm curious to see how it goes in two weeks. I have LOTS of room for improvement.
    Losing is like fertilizer: it stinks for a while, then you get used to it. (Tony, Hibbing)

Quote Quoting bac0n (view post)
    i might have to. i'm pretty much beat. and yeah, I did the fit test. I'm curious to see how it goes in two weeks. I have LOTS of room for improvement.
    For myself, I didn't really notice an increase in numbers too much, but the ease of getting through the workouts, and general fitness afterwards was far improved.

I still do it now. I wish I saved the numbers to see how I compared to when I did first start and kept track.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

I did over 3 years of French boxing (or Savate it's like kickboxing, kick and punches by only using hand and feet), I stopped 3 years ago because lack of time and other reasons. Didn't do for losing weight because I don't need to but some of them came for this reason, and they did lose quite fast.
    I loved this sport, the rules make it very technical and and it's a very complete sport. Especially, you learn very fast.

you can watch some videos on youtube to give an idea :
    for an example

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    For myself, I didn't really notice an increase in numbers too much, but the ease of getting through the workouts, and general fitness afterwards was far improved.

I still do it now. I wish I saved the numbers to see how I compared to when I did first start and kept track.
    Just before I started out, I took a picture of my pasty white belly. Just about broke my new iPhone. At the end of the 60 days I'm gonna take another picture and compare the two. Right now all I wanna do is consume protein.

Reading a book called Born to Run about this native tribe in Mexico who are known to run hundreds of miles non-stop wearing nothing but skirts and sandals and drinking nothing but corn beer. For the fucking fun of it. And of course it's about this lunatic ultra-running culture as a whole, and why so many people in the US are constantly injured while these guys eat mice, drink alcohol, don't stretch, don't wear sneakers, and can beat highly-trained American runners in 100 mile races by over an hour. I'm only 75 pages into it but loving it so far.

If this book doesn't inspire you to get off your ass and exercise then nothing will.
    Now reading: The Master Switch by Tim Wu

a few friends have raved about that book to me.

after forgetting to pack my running shoes when going on vacation (possibly a freudian thing) and then only exercising once in the 5 days since i got back i tried to do the 20 minute run i'm at in couch to 5k and failed. i'm thinking about restarting week 5 to get myself back into the swing of things. ugh. haha.

i was waiting at the pharmacy and was flipping through outside magazine, which had an article on workout myths. and number 1 was that you should stretch before working out. they said in several studies groups that do static stretching before engaging in athletics consistently have worse performance than those who don't. there was a scientific reason for this, something about your nervous system, but i forget it.

Silly talk.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Too much responsibility Kurosawa Fan's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Kurosawa Fan (view post)
    I didn't want to say anything until I was sure I could keep it up, but I've now lost 20 lbs. since August 1st with a combination of P90X and eating healthy. The P90X has been spotty since my semester started up again, but my eating habits haven't changed, and I'm still losing about 2 lbs. per week. I haven't felt this good in a long time. When I'm off of school, I'm going to continue to use P90X every day to tone, because just losing the weight isn't satisfying enough after seeing the results I was getting from a regular weight program.
    Make it 30 lbs. and counting. I'm actually no longer embarrassed by how I look. Not satisfied yet, but not embarrassed.

i hit 25 or 26 and am now back to 22 primarily because of laziness. i need to get back on top of things.

I started the P90X myself with an iPhone app. Nice program. I like it more than Insanity simply for the lifting weights portions. It's not a cardio-only program.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    I started boxing again last night. Been a little over a year since I stopped. I needed a new regiment since my doctor told me I'm not allowed to run for 4 months. Workout last night kicked my ass. I hope to continue this as a 3 night a week schedule.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Shocking Seductive Spiral Thirdmango's Avatar
    I weighed myself recently and largely in part due to Finals and being unable to find the time to get my workouts in I found I had gained back a lot of weight so I was very downtrodden, that is until yesterday when I went clothes shopping because I had a coupon and I found that I had officially lost a whole pants size. ritch: I knew my pants were falling a lot easier lately but I didn't realize I had lost a good 3-4 inches.

Been going to the gym for about 4 months now after a three year break in which I gained almost 10kg.

Upon restarting, I did the typical novice error of thinking that just because you went to the gym, you can eat any old crap you want. So three months into it, I had lost only about 2kgs, though the replacement of fat with muscle would have been a factor (I aim to do about 40min of cardio and about an hour on weights each session, with one rest day in every five or six where I try to play squash but nothing else). It was frustrating.

But then I decided to try something. Since January 1st, I decided to cut out all crap in my diet - no fast food, no chocolate, crisps, cookies etc - reduce the amount of carbohydrates I eat (less bread, rice and pasta), and just eat sensibly. Since then, three weeks have passed and I have dropped 3.7kg, and I still have tonnes of energy to do other things.

My routine (I'm on holidays, so I have the freedom to go to the gym whenever I want, which helps) is wake up, have one piece of toast with honey, go to the gym for a couple of hours, come back and have a big bowl of wholegrain cereal with fruit (lots of carbs, but provides long-lasting energy), have a very light lunch (usually crackers with cheese/tomato, yoghurt, fruit but sometimes a Korean lunch with lots of vegetable sidedishes), snack when I feel hungry during the afternoon on almonds, peanut butter on crackers etc, and then have a reasonable dinner with lots of vegetables and good protein. (Though, it must be noted, I did have a couple of days where I snacked on chocolate and banana cake, and it was GREAT - I just didn't eat a shit load). And I can still have the odd beer or wine with dinner as well.

The good thing about this is that when I go out to a party or whatever, I just eat and drink what I want and count that as a reward day, and just go back to the old routine the next day. There is no need to stress out about food every single second. Sure, your weight will go up a little the next day, but it's the trend that counts. Still, I'm amazed at how much we underrate how many calories we eat in a day.

Another thing that has amazed me is that once you get over the hump, going to the gym becomes enjoyable, and it doesn't feel right not to go. For the first couple of months, it was a chore to get myself motivated, especially because the weight wasn't exactly melting off me, but there comes a tipping point where one day you don't go to the gym and you feel unaccountably restless. Once you reach this point, it has become a habit.

I write this here as a reminder to myself, more than anything, not to slip back into bad habits, and just keep it going.
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

Shocking Seductive Spiral Thirdmango's Avatar
    Today was insane, I ate really good and then when I went to the gym the Kings OKC game was just starting, so I ran on the elliptical for 70 minutes and did 5.4 miles. During half time I did some weightlifting but I wanted to go back and watch the game more so then in the second half I ran for 4.6 miles for another 70 minutes until the game was over. 10 miles in 2 hours 20 minutes. Pretty awesome for me. Then I swam a little, and did some sauna and hottub. I AM SO SORE RIGHT NOW.

Quote Quoting transmogrifier (view post)
    Another thing that has amazed me is that once you get over the hump, going to the gym becomes enjoyable, and it doesn't feel right not to go. For the first couple of months, it was a chore to get myself motivated, especially because the weight wasn't exactly melting off me, but there comes a tipping point where one day you don't go to the gym and you feel unaccountably restless. Once you reach this point, it has become a habit.
    Well said. After awhile, it becomes automatic. Though if you travel or are sick for a long stretch, it's hard to get back in the groove.

Regarding motivation, I've never gone to the gym and then felt bad about it afterwards. I'm always happier that I went, no matter how much I was dreading it. It's something I try to keep in mind when I'm being lazy.
    Now reading: The Master Switch by Tim Wu

Yeah, I'm just now getting over a rather nasty stomach virus and it's going to be quite some time before I get back into old habits. Never underestimate how easy it can be to fall off track through no real fault of your own.

Started Insanity today and did the fit test. Holy shit, I had to sit down to shower because I was so nauseous. And I thought I was in decent shape...can't wait to see how painful the first actual workout is.

Quote Quoting Lucky (view post)
    Started Insanity today and did the fit test. Holy shit, I had to sit down to shower because I was so nauseous. And I thought I was in decent shape...can't wait to see how painful the first actual workout is.
    For me, it's not the workouts that were painful, but it was how sore my muscles were those first few days as my body was adjusting to the new physical regimen. My advice to you is to have some alleve on hand and be sure to take a hot bath tonight to relax your muscles.

And good luck tomorrow on the ski-abs and in-and-outs.

Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast