Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: exercise thread

nightmare investigator monolith94's Avatar

exercise thread

O, hai.

I looked through all of the other forum pages.

I wasn't able to find a thread about exercise.

So this is where we can talk about it, I think.

I have a few questions that I'd like to share.

If, say, I have a diet consistent with the past,

and I start exercising 4 miles of walking every

two or three days, am I guaranteed to lose at

least some weight?

k thx
    "Modern weapons can defend freedom, civilization, and life only by annihilating them. Security in military language means the ability to do away with the Earth."
    -Ivan Illich, Deschooling Society

You will lose weight if you are at a caloric deficit. If the calories lost by walking 4 miles pushes you into a deficit, then it will be impossible not to lose weight.
    Now reading: The Master Switch by Tim Wu

Sweet.

Excuse me now, I'm off to have some biscuits with chicken & gravy.
    "Modern weapons can defend freedom, civilization, and life only by annihilating them. Security in military language means the ability to do away with the Earth."

I have a feeling that the amount of people on Match Cut that regularly exercise is about the amount of fingers on my hand.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

I bike every day, and play frisbee quite often.

I stopped actively working out, because it's really hard for me to stay motivated when I'm just by myself in my basement.

So yeah...biking and frisbee is my exercise.
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

Chico's rule is sound, but to me, it seems diet is the key to losing weight while exercise is the key to keeping it off. With your current diet, have you maintained a steady weight over the years or have you been gradually putting on some pounds? If it's the latter, regular exercise may only help in preventing additional weight gain. Either way, it won't hurt.
    letterboxd.

A Star is Born (2018) **1/2
    Unforgiven (1992) ***1/2
    The Sisters Brothers (2018) **
    Crazy Rich Asians (2018) ***
    The Informant! (2009) ***1/2
    BlacKkKlansman (2018) ***1/2
    Sorry to Bother You (2018) **1/2
    Eighth Grade (2018) ***
    Mission Impossible: Fallout (2018) ***
    Ant-Man and The Wasp (2018) **1/2

I prefer exercise over diet. Most crash diets make you lose weight fast, but you just put it right back on when the diet is over. You should only lose between 1-2 lbs per week, which can be done with moderate exercise and eating well.

As for walking, depending on your speed, you would probably burn about 200 calories in an hour. Not a tremendous amount, but anything helps.

There are numerous sites that calculate how many calories you need per day. As long as you stay below your maintenance calories and work out a little bit doing anything (preferably daily), you will lose weight.

I pretty much eat whatever I want. I eat mostly good food, my own cooking, and try not to have huge portions. Mix this with at least 3-4 days of working out, and I've maintained the same weight, but have turned fat into muscle, and feel great at all times.

Just get over that initial hump of hating when you work out, and then you'll start feeling good.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Well, part of it is jogging. What I'll do is I'll jog a quarter of a mile, and then walk three quarters to cool down.

Quote Quoting monolith94 (view post)
    Well, part of it is jogging. What I'll do is I'll jog a quarter of a mile, and then walk three quarters to cool down.
    Try to increase that jogging every day until you can run that entire mile.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Well, that's the plan, but it's been tough since I've started. I have really only a small amount of endurance for this sort of thing.

Quote Quoting monolith94 (view post)
    Well, that's the plan, but it's been tough since I've started. I have really only a small amount of endurance for this sort of thing.
    A great way to get over the hump is finding someone else that will be dedicated to it as well. You plan on a time to meet a few days a week, and it'll prevent you from getting lazy. Plus, you guys can push each other to go a bit further.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

There was this one time that I did a push-up. It was intense.

But I walk a lot. Everywhere. So I've done a pretty good job of staying in shape lately, better than I ever have.

I like Wii Fit.

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    I actually started exercise-biking a week and a half ago. I've been keeping it up, doing a half an hour every day. I'm thinking about alternating between that and weights, but I need to find a good regimen for myself.

Cool to see so many people going for it.

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    Just get over that initial hump of hating when you work out, and then you'll start feeling good.
    Truth. Once it becomes ingrained, it's hard to NOT do it. I work out, on average, 5 times a week.
    "How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

--Homer

Quote Quoting Sycophant (view post)
    There was this one time that I did a push-up. It was intense.
    "Jesus, Kevin! What, you been jumpin' rope in the attic!?"

"Uh.....I.........uh........pe eled an orange.......bout an hour ago, why?"
    "How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

--Homer

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)

So everyone has this?

Whenever I start a pan of working out regularly, the work-outs always leave be incredibly depressed, and feeling like I am totally worthless and it will never work.

What would get me down even more is that working out is supposed to release seratonin in your brain, and make you feel good.

But, I guess the fact that I have no seratonin in my brain to be released would make that hard...

Quote Quoting Wryan (view post)
    "Jesus, Kevin! What, you been jumpin' rope in the attic!?"

"Uh.....I.........uh........pe eled an orange.......bout an hour ago, why?"

I really like his standup. The bank part and the Hallmark card joke are great, too.

I try to run at least twice a week and am usually pretty successful, although when I miss a week I tend to miss about three weeks in a row. Same goes for my sit ups/push ups/curls routine. I try to do that every day, but it ends up being about every other. Drinking always throws me off. I rarely exercise on days after I drink (like today).

So I've been eating pretty healthy lately. Not indulging in snack foods (chips, soda, chocolate bars, etc.) rarely ever eating any dessert, eating smaller portions of meals, and generally choosing healthier foods.

For example, when I'm hungry for a snack, I'll have a few raw carrots and some yogurt.

Add to that about an hour long bike ride every day.

However, I'm still gaining weight. I'm nearly 270 pounds now, and it's getting to the point where I am uncomfortable with my body.

So, I've decided that, starting tomorrow, I'm basically going to starve myself. A bit of fruit, some yogurt, maybe a very small portion of lean meat in a day. That's all.

This is getting ridiculous, and as far as I can see there's no reason why I should still be gaining, so I think this is my last option.

So Wii Fit turned me into an exercise hound.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    So Wii Fit turned me into an exercise hound.

Does it actually give a good work out?

Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    Does it actually give a good work out?
    I think the common misconception about it is that it's just a collection of mini games that you do to sort of "exercise." But those mini games are just to hone your balance.

The actual workout parts are just exercise and yoga moves that you do with a virtual trainer showing you how and when to do the moves. It's very effective for me because the Wii Fit board charts your center of balance on the screen and you have to keep it steady. When you do, you're doing the push ups, jackknives, torso twists, etc. properly with a strong posture. Kind of like having a personal trainer holding you into position.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

I walk about a mile a day - probably a little more.

Also, my wife and I recently started playing racquetball, and that has been great.

Ever since I quit smoking - I think about three months ago - it has felt really good to get exercise.

I also cut my consumption of breakfast meat down quite a bit. I now eat a bowl of fruit most mornings for breakfast, and also for dinner. I've been eating a large lunch as my mine meal for a while now, and try to have just a light dinner like a salad or cheese plate.

I'm super skinny, and I used to hate being so skinny - in high school I never, ever wore shorts or short sleeve shirts. But now, I love it, and I don't want to get fat. For the first time in about 20 years, I'm actually happy with the way I look.

I'm envious of skinny people.

It seems I could eat a peanut and gain 10 pounds.

Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast