Page 989 of 1996 FirstFirst ... 4898899399799879889899909919991039108914891989 ... LastLast
Results 24,701 to 24,725 of 49884

Thread: Random Thoughts

Quote Quoting Watashi (view post)
    Note to self: Never take an online class again. The amount of work compared to a regular lecture is tripled.
    For me, doing my college algebra class and my bullshit computer information systems class for my generals online has been a godsend. I can't imagine sitting through those classes for three to four hours a week.

Quote Quoting Kurosawa Fan (view post)
    It has to be heavily sourced. So basically this means going through my sources and pulling out relevant information.
    Yeah, that's not unreasonable. By my senior year I was starting major papers two months in advance... and I didn't have a full-time job. Or kids.
    ...and the milk's in me.

Quote Quoting Watashi (view post)
    Note to self: Never take an online class again. The amount of work compared to a regular lecture is tripled.
    Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    I found online classes to be incredibly easy but wasteful in the end. I hardly retained any of it. I hardly had any work on it actually.
    Assuming you actually pay your unreasonably high tuition to learn things in the dynamic environment that only a college classroom can provide and not just to earn a degree by the easiest means possible (a huge assumption, I know), I can't see justifying an internet course. I mean, I can learn things on the interwebs ...for free.
    letterboxd.

A Star is Born (2018) **1/2
    Unforgiven (1992) ***1/2
    The Sisters Brothers (2018) **
    Crazy Rich Asians (2018) ***
    The Informant! (2009) ***1/2
    BlacKkKlansman (2018) ***1/2
    Sorry to Bother You (2018) **1/2
    Eighth Grade (2018) ***
    Mission Impossible: Fallout (2018) ***
    Ant-Man and The Wasp (2018) **1/2

Too much responsibility Kurosawa Fan's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Mara (view post)
    Yeah, that's not unreasonable. By my senior year I was starting major papers two months in advance... and I didn't have a full-time job. Or kids.
    Yeah, I've already perused most of them to formulate my thesis, but now I need to actually pull some details and quotes and start putting together an outline.

Quote Quoting Spinal (view post)
    No more White Stripes? Fuuuuuuuuck. :sad:
    Sadder for Meg White than anybody. Her music career effectively ended today.

By my last semester, I was bribing the women in the inter-library loan office with baked goods. I finally sent them flowers.

And I think I went through about twenty of these.
    ...and the milk's in me.

I kind of miss working on something with that much focus.
    ...and the milk's in me.

I took an online class, and I learned nothing aside from the fact that it was easy to pass without having to do any really hard work. I don't mind taking a regular class with online work or quizzes online, but I'd rather go to class in person and possibly learn something.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Quote Quoting MadMan (view post)
    I took an online class, and I learned nothing aside from the fact that it was easy to pass without having to do any really hard work. I don't mind taking a regular class with online work or quizzes online, but I'd rather go to class in person and possibly learn something.
    Online classes are pointless IMO (unless it's a coding class). All this talk today about online degrees is laughable. You'd be lucky to get 5% of out of what you would in a classroom setting.

But people keep giving money to Phoenix.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Evil mind, evil sword. Ivan Drago's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Spinal (view post)
    No more White Stripes? Fuuuuuuuuck. :sad:
    NO.
    Last Five Films I've Seen (Out of 5)

The Boy, The Mole, The Fox and the Horse (Mackesy, 2022) 4.5
    Puss In Boots: The Last Wish (Crawford, 2022) 4
    Confess, Fletch (Mottola, 2022) 3.5
    M3GAN (Johnstone, 2023) 3.5
    Turning Red (Shi, 2022) 4.5
    Tokyo Story (Ozu, 1953) 5

615 Film
    Letterboxd

Quote Quoting Ivan Drago (view post)
    Thanks, I needed that.
    Coming to America (Landis, 1988) **
    The Beach Bum (Korine, 2019) *1/2
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Fugue (Smoczynska, 2018) ***1/2
    Prisoners (Villeneuve, 2013) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Oslo, August 31st (J. Trier, 2011) ****
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2
    Fighting With My Family (Merchant, 2019) **
    Upstream Color (Carruth, 2013) ***

I've done two online classes. Heavy emphasis on workshopping. Good idea in concept, but when half of your group wouldn't participate in half of the projects, and half the grade was tied to responding to texts that did not exist and commenting on feedback you did not receive, well, it was a grand waste of time and about as educational as it sounds.
    Follow me on Twitter

Quote Quoting DavidSeven (view post)
    Assuming you actually pay your unreasonably high tuition to learn things in the dynamic environment that only a college classroom can provide and not just to earn a degree by the easiest means possible (a huge assumption, I know), I can't see justifying an internet course. I mean, I can learn things on the interwebs ...for free.
    Yep. Heavy regrets here. But I had fulltime work, and had two different campuses (typically) to go to, so it was very tough at the time. Luckily it was classes that were like Music Appreciation and other bizarre electives. But still.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

I've taken a lot of hybrid classes at my school and I prefer them to regular meet-3-times-a-week deals. With programs like Blackboard and whatnot, that's probably where most universities are headed in the future

Quote Quoting Philosophe_rouge (view post)
    I've done two online classes. Heavy emphasis on workshopping. Good idea in concept, but when half of your group wouldn't participate in half of the projects, and half the grade was tied to responding to texts that did not exist and commenting on feedback you did not receive, well, it was a grand waste of time and about as educational as it sounds.
    I had that once, but my professor let me swap groups early on and it wound up working out

Quote Quoting Philosophe_rouge (view post)
    The one technical writing class I took in college was a disaster, because it was the worst group experience of my life. Of the five of us, one dropped the class, one showed up only for presentations and didn't return e-mails, and only the other two and I held it together. We were graded completely as a group. The girl who only showed up for the presentation completely derailed it (it was a formal presentation, worth 60% of our grade, including dressing in business suits and having a Power Point presentation) by not knowing her own lines or what we were doing, and then going off on a crazy metaphor that our professor had made us cut out of a previous paper because it didn't make any sense.

The professor was so mad that he interrupted the presentation and dressed us down, calling us "idiots" for including something he'd told us to cut out, and asking why he bothered to give feedback in the first place if we were just going to ignore it.

I got a C on that presentation. This was probably almost a decade ago, and if I ran into that girl tomorrow I'd still want to beat her up.

That said, the group project (including nearly failing because of the actions of another person) was some of the best preparation I've ever had for real-world group work projects. I learned not to trust anyone I work with to get their part done.
    ...and the milk's in me.

My process for preparing papers was not nearly as rigorous, possibly because I kept a lot in my head rather than write down my plan of attack or outline or such. I combed sources and typed out the exact quotes of what I wanted from each book in a separate wordpad doc, so I could have a handy reference for paraphrasing or using exact quotes. Mostly, I just didn't outline--ever I think. I knew my arcing thesis and arguments beforehand and just generated the paper as I went along. I also never proofread once I had finished, with the one exception of my honor's thesis.
    "How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

--Homer

Great news, Canadians. Apparently your government has reasonable people.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Conversation next to my cube.

"...What, 14, 13 year old?"
    "My mind is in the gutter now."
    "I meant drinking."
    "I know, I know --"
    "My taste is a little older than yours, I think."
    "I bet."
    "Anything under 40, I don't touch."
    "Hahaha! Good luck with that!"

ಠ_ಠ
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    Yep. Heavy regrets here. But I had fulltime work, and had two different campuses (typically) to go to, so it was very tough at the time. Luckily it was classes that were like Music Appreciation and other bizarre electives. But still.
    Yeah, I wasn't judging you specifically. I was just taking the opportunity to go off on my own tangent. I took a undergrad course nearly ten years ago with a heavy online/group component. I think it was one of the school's first experiments with the "online course" format. It was the easiest A of my life, but I still don't know squat about "Environmental Science."
    letterboxd.

Unforgiven (1992) ***1/2
    Eighth Grade (2018) ***

This wrestling move is just TOO AWESOME to be contained in the YouTube thread.

[youtube]DU4TDGlbTz8[/youtube]
    Movie Theater Diary

Quote Quoting Wryan (view post)
    My process for preparing papers was not nearly as rigorous, possibly because I kept a lot in my head rather than write down my plan of attack or outline or such. I combed sources and typed out the exact quotes of what I wanted from each book in a separate wordpad doc, so I could have a handy reference for paraphrasing or using exact quotes. Mostly, I just didn't outline--ever I think. I knew my arcing thesis and arguments beforehand and just generated the paper as I went along. I also never proofread once I had finished, with the one exception of my honor's thesis.
    Wow. This is exactly how I would approach a paper. I never outlined unless I was forced to. I would accumulate sources and then extract passages and quotes from those sources, type them in a separate Word doc or the same one I was going to work on, and sort of map the whole thing out in my head (but I would already have a mental vision of the paper before this point). I took care of most of the proofreading as I went a long -- reading each section of the paper repeatedly as I finished them and making sure they were strong before moving on. My proofread of the final paper was usually brief and was mostly a final scan for typos and clarity issues.
    letterboxd.

Unforgiven (1992) ***1/2
    Eighth Grade (2018) ***

:|
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

Quote Quoting Scar (view post)
    :|
    Yeah, it's totally illegal.
    Movie Theater Diary